HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 9:03 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Historic Landmarks Commission approved the Restoration Hardware yesterday.
Goes to show how often I am in Northwest these days, I thought this building had already been built.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 8:05 PM

Drawings [PDF - 11MB] for North 18.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 10:33 PM

Demolition is underway at 2301 NW Savier (old Besaw's location).

Demolition of an old (1923) shoe factory at 28th and Thurman is beginning in the next couple days, with no apparent plans for redevelopment.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Drawings [PDF - 11MB] for North 18.
Their 10-year density page sure shows ambitions for the Pearl. It shows the Overton and Freedom Center buildings replaced. *snicker*

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
Their 10-year density page sure shows ambitions for the Pearl. It shows the Overton and Freedom Center buildings replaced. *snicker*
Lol. Also Bridgeport Brewery, the Pearl Self Storage by Holst, the 1638 NW Overton building by Project^ / Beebe Skidmore (still under construction), Bodyvox, the NV apartments...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 2:59 AM

On P.22 of the latest NW Examiner, there's an article about how the Bill Naito Company "always intended" to build housing around Montgomery Park and create a "24-hour mini-city".

Quote:
Montgomery Park, a converted warehouse built in 1919, has enjoyed a successful second life as an office building where 3,000 people come to work every day. But the man who redeveloped the old Montgomery Ward distribution center at Northwest 27th and Vaughn streets in the 1980s had something even bigger in mind. “He envisioned a mini city that would be active at all hours,” said Anne Naito-Campbell, daughter of Bill Naito, who died in 1996. “He envisioned redevelopment something like Con-way.”

Con-way Inc. (now XPO Logistics Inc.), located eight blocks away, represents the ultimate local example of industrial land transforming into a high-density urban neighborhood. The process unfolded long after her father died, but Naito-Campbell, one of four family members on the corporate board, said mixed-use redevelopment appealed to him.

The company delayed pursuit of his vision due in part to nine years of “family feuding” over control of the company after his death, she said.

“Montgomery Park is now the focus of the company’s attention,” she said, adding that the city’s housing shortage and spiraling housing costs heighten the opportunity. The current draft of the city’s comprehensive plan, however, would ban residential construction on the company’s 18-acre holdings, which include vast parking lots and two parking structures in addition to the looming structure—Oregon’s second largest office building, with nearly a million square feet of space.

The property is zoned EX (Central Employment), which allows commercial, residential and industrial activity.

The Portland Bureau of Planning & Sustainability wants to eliminate the “catch-all” EX zone outside the central city and replace it, in this case, with a newly created “General Employment 2.” EG2 would allow current activities to continue, while shutting off the housing option that Montgomery Park’s owners, Bill Naito Co., might pursue at some point.

To Rick Gustafson, who chairs the corporation’s board, putting housing next to the workplace makes sense from an environmental and transportation efficiency standpoint. Gustafson, who was CEO of Portland Streetcar Inc. for its first 12 years and a key player in bringing light rail to the city in 1986, reasons that keeping many Montgomery Park workers off the road would make it possible to convert current parking facilities into more productive use while reducing driving throughout the region.
(more at the link)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 5:38 AM

Kōz Development have scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss a project at 1015 NW 16th Ave:

Quote:
Proposal is for a new 133 unit studio apartment building.
Emerick Architects have submitted the NW 21st & Irving Apartments for building permit review:

Quote:
new 4-story mixed use development with commercial ground floor over one level of underground parking.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 7:30 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Kōz Development have scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss a project at 1015 NW 16th Ave
That's interesting. On one side is the adorable Le Happy restaurant. On the other is the Slabtown bar (in a building that looks like it's falling down). In between is what I assume is a small apartment building and a small surface parking lot. Where exactly are they proposing to build 133 studios? Interesting, interesting, interesting. It's only a matter of time before that whole area fills in.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 7:32 AM

The (almost certainly correct) speculation that's been going round the internet is that they're going to demolish the slabtown building, which has been vacant for over a year.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Developer Bob Ball prepares next project after selling Pearl apartments

There's a familiar name in the Portland development scene that's been flying a little under the radar over the past year or so.

But just because Bob Ball hasn't made any huge announcements since completing The Parker apartments back in 2014 doesn't mean the longtime developer hasn't been busy. And this week, Ball is diving back into the scene in a big way with the launch of a new company and plans for his next multifamily project.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
That's interesting. On one side is the adorable Le Happy restaurant. On the other is the Slabtown bar (in a building that looks like it's falling down). In between is what I assume is a small apartment building and a small surface parking lot. Where exactly are they proposing to build 133 studios? Interesting, interesting, interesting. It's only a matter of time before that whole area fills in.
I believe this development includes the apartment, parking lot, and Slabtown. Le Happy is going to look impossibly cute squished between two bigger buildings.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 8:12 PM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF] for 1015 NW 16th Ave.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 7:34 AM

I work very close to there. Will be very nice to see the dump I mean building go. Sad with all the history and all, but there is nothing dignified about that block these days except Le Happy and the boutique dress shop on the opposite corner.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:12 AM

Early Assistance has been requested for a project at 2211 NW York St:

Quote:
Demo existing building and new construction of a 1300 uni self storage building.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 2:29 AM

Revised drawings [PDF - 45 MB] for NW 19th and Quimby:

http://efiles.portlandoregon.gov/Rec...File/Document/

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Revised drawings [PDF - 45 MB] for NW 19th and Quimby:

http://efiles.portlandoregon.gov/Rec...File/Document/
Staff Report [PDF] which now recommends approval.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 1:39 AM

NW Portland Hostel

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 1:41 AM

Tess o'Brien apts

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 1:42 AM

The Muse

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 1:45 AM

2010 NW Pettygrove

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland