HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:08 AM

Design Commission approved 811 SE Stark by Works Partnership on Thursday. No drawings on efiles yet.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Design Commission approved 811 SE Stark by Works Partnership on Thursday. No drawings on efiles yet.
Fantastic. Like others on this forum, I am also looking forward to the coming of the Zelda Building.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 5:03 PM
obit anus, abit onus

Quote:
This will get approved eventually; the Design Commission hasn't voted down a project in years (possibly in decades). The applicant may just have to work a little harder.
Well that's reassuring to know, thanks for explaining that. 'Rejected' sounded serious. But I also hope they don't have to 'regularize' this one too much to get it through.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 6:07 AM

New transit-oriented development going in near OMSI station on the Orange Line. Very affordable I hear. But isn't this the same City that was opposed to OMSI developing residential on their property one block away?

Quote:
Portland's Right 2 Dream Too homeless camp could move to the east side this summer, ending more than a year of efforts to move the camp from a city block in Old Town Chinatown.

Commissioner Amanda Fritz said Wednesday that the city is finalizing a deal with the Oregon Department of Transportation to buy a triangle-shaped lot of about a half-acre in the Central Eastside Industrial District. The 9,073-square-foot parcel is near the Tilikum Crossing transit, bike and foot bridge set to open this summer.
Link to Oregonian article

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 6:48 AM

For those hoping for a new tallest building there is technically no height limit in the IG1 zone.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Request for Response for 915 SE Belmont.
I live very close to this one and I don't like the look of it at all. I think that's the worst design I've seen from Ankrom Moisan. It doesn't do much to enhance the quality of the neighborhood so I hope the look of it improves through the design review process.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 7:01 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
New transit-oriented development going in near OMSI station on the Orange Line. Very affordable I hear.
I hate to say it, but that's mean spirited.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 7:17 PM
Karma Police

I think he meant Transient-Oriented Development. An accurate description.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I hate to say it, but that's mean spirited.
What's mean spirited is that there's a homeless camp in a rich country like this. We have money to go to war and to space yet we can't build these people decent housing? Seeing all the homeless camped out all around Portland really makes me sad I'm pretty well travelled and I've never seen it worse anywhere else except SF.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
What's mean spirited is that there's a homeless camp in a rich country like this. We have money to go to war and to space yet we can't build these people decent housing? Seeing all the homeless camped out all around Portland really makes me sad I'm pretty well travelled and I've never seen it worse anywhere else except SF.
I have come to the conclusion there are several reasons for the number here in Portland.

1. Fairly mild weather, doesn't get as extreme hot and cold.

2. Liberal city, more social services, it attracts people. They come by rail, road, etc.

San Francisco also has the same issues. Double edged sword, we WANT good social services and to take care of the less fortunate, but it also attracts more from elsewher.

Just my observation.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:48 PM

I'm all for homeless services, as long as it's not being abused. Granted, I wish all of the Rescue Missions weren't all right in the heart of downtown, I do recognize their necessity but it's hard to deny the fact that if they weren't in their current locations, Old Town/ Chinatown would have already been turned around. I lived in Albuquerque for a little while and they had a facility set up to allow overnight sleeping accommodations established for hundreds of homeless individuals, but it was several miles outside of the city core. A bussing system had been created that would shuttle people to and from this location all day, so that people could at least be at the heart of town to try and look for work or housing or whatever, then could just hop on the bus back at the end of the day. It seemed to work quite well.

But in regards to R2D2, it is the same in the sense that these individuals have the right to have a "homebase" because it would seem that everything revolves around that. Having that safety net would be essential to get some of these people out of this predicament, but if it's treated as a kind of transitional residence, then these individuals would hopefully be in a prime position to get back on their feet again. Granted there are many that need levels of help that this environment will not provide, but that is an issue for another day.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 5:20 PM

Notice of a Type II Decision [PDF] approving an adjustment review for 240 SE Clay. Looks like the building permit is close to being approved too.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 6:28 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
I agree with you, but my point is that mocking the homeless is classless.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:13 PM

Modera Belmont drawings [PDF - 25MB].

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 8:49 PM
Karma Police

Good infill. Fairly generic design, but overall not bad. My only quibble is the awkwardly situated 2 bedroom unit on the ground floor at the SW corner. Why not double the retail space on that corner?

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 3:23 AM

Looks like the WPA building on Division...better than the previous design though.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
New addition planned for old Industrial Home building
By: Beverly Corbell in Construction May 7, 2015 12:57 pm

Initial plans for the addition call for ground-level parking with a two-story structure above that will be connected to the old building, but will not change its façade.
...continues at the DJC ($).

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 1:13 AM

Well, apparently the renovation of that building must have been successful if they're going for an addition. I've been wondering how Evo was doing. Seems like such a crappy location, but a cool old building.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 2:58 PM

Final Findings and Decision for 811 Stark http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/530092?

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Final Findings and Decision for 811 Stark http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/530092?
I have warm feelings about this one. I hope that blocky sort of facade becomes a Portland trademark. It's very stark, while also being super interesting to the eye.

I think an example is the condo on 28th and Burnside, the new building going up at the bridgehead, the offices on williams with the interesting swooping balcony facades...

Give us a high rise with this vernacular! It makes me excited.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland