HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 4:14 PM

Permit sought for $11.3 million brewery in Uptown
By Tom Bailey/Daily Memphian
Updated: November 09, 2018 12:26 PM CT

https://dailymemphian.com/section/bu...wery-in-Uptown

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:34 PM

Grand entrance: $950M Union Row proposed for Downtown
By Tom Bailey/Daily Memphian Updated: November 12, 2018

Wow

"The largest mixed-use development in Memphis history goes public this week, promising to transform a haggard Downtown gateway with apartments, stores, restaurants, a hotel, office towers, parking structures, green spaces, even a half-acre park perched over a roadway like a rooftop.

Union Row is a proposed $950 million planned development that targets 29 acres, generally between Union Avenue on the north, Beale on the south, Danny Thomas on the east and Fourth on the west."

"Phase 1 alone calls for 673 apartments, a 200-room boutique hotel, 85,000 square feet of commercial space that includes a 30,000-square-foot grocery/market, 344,000 square feet of office space and 1,327 spaces in two parking structures.

All three phases would total 2,103 apartments, 380 hotel rooms, 388,000 square feet of office space, 126,000 square feet of retail including the grocery, and 2,590 spaces in parking garages"

https://dailymemphian.com/section/bu...d-for-Downtown

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 3:58 PM

This is so amazing. Its Memphis turn now. The year 2021 will be a very special year for this city. Projects such as One Beale, Convention Center Hotel/100 North Main, Union Row to go along with South City and whatever happens in the Pinch District. Maybe we can even count the $200 million Hotel and Convention center at Southland. Would love to get the 2025 or 2026 NBA All Star game afterwards.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 10:46 PM

Sterick Building May finally come to life

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...h-serious.html

Sterick building hits the market with 'serious offers' coming in, RFP to follow.

Its time is coming soon," said Henry Grosvenor, one of the heirs. "We've had initial conversations with quite a few [developers]. … We engaged CBRE to put together a marketing effort to do a national and international request for proposals (RFP)."

With all the activity across the metro area it looks like the Old Sterick is now hot property. Gonna love downtown with the old and new mix of buildings.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 11:21 PM

^^ The Sterick will be awesome once life is back in that building. Long time coming.

Outside of these wonderful announcements and projects happening in and around the metro,
it's great seeing city leaders in recent articles working together,
to really push for economic growth, and businesses to come here.
With results happening on that end, you can't help but to believe that Memphis has already laid the foundation for a "boom".
The word momentum has been the buzz word to describe Memphis from local leaders and media.

Union Row Renderings:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 1:25 AM

Someone is going to save my building!? The Sterick Building deserves it. You guys don't understand, I am obsessed with the Sterick!

And West Memphis needs all the help it can get. I am so excited for Memphis!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 2:11 AM

From reading the article, it sounds like they’re pretty much ready to start the Union project. Just waiting on the city.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JroxJrox View Post
This is so amazing. Its Memphis turn now. The year 2021 will be a very special year for this city. Projects such as One Beale, Convention Center Hotel/100 North Main, Union Row to go along with South City and whatever happens in the Pinch District. Maybe we can even count the $200 million Hotel and Convention center at Southland. Would love to get the 2025 or 2026 NBA All Star game afterwards.
This is an amazing project & yes this certainly can increase our chances for other events NBA All star & more

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWestMemphis View Post
Someone is going to save my building!? The Sterick Building deserves it. You guys don't understand, I am obsessed with the Sterick!

And West Memphis needs all the help it can get. I am so excited for Memphis!
King, Sterick is long overdue for redevelopment glad to see it's turning the corner. Union row is an amazing project however that was the site I saw as a perfect location for NFL Stadium. Hmm got to locate another diwnt Possible site now. Any suggestions? Pinch or mud island possibly?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
^^ The Sterick will be awesome once life is back in that building. Long time coming.

Outside of these wonderful announcements and projects happening in and around the metro,
it's great seeing city leaders in recent articles working together,
to really push for economic growth, and businesses to come here.
With results happening on that end, you can't help but to believe that Memphis has already laid the foundation for a "boom".
The word momentum has been the buzz word to describe Memphis from local leaders and media.

Union Row Renderings:

Exciting times are definitely ahead construction-wise after years of near dormancy. This combined with the redevelopment of the former Wonder Bread bakery should make for some very good vertical density along downtown's eastern edge, although I think the TIF proposal should be expanded eastward into the Edge District and include the soon-to-be-former Commercial Appeal property.

Hearing about the Sterick Building being put on the market is a good first step in its potential revival as a true mixed use development. I think the best option would be to make the first 13 (14?) floors into a full-service hotel with ground-level retail/restaurant space while making the remainder of it into a mix of single and family residences. I know there's still the issue regarding low ceilings throughout the building, but I don't really see it being a deterrent when buildings like Crosstown can be revived after being shuttered for decades.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisborn View Post
King, Sterick is long overdue for redevelopment glad to see it's turning the corner. Union row is an amazing project however that was the site I saw as a perfect location for NFL Stadium. Hmm got to locate another diwnt Possible site now. Any suggestions? Pinch or mud island possibly?
I don't know if you remember but before Mayor Herenton moved the GreyHound Bus Station he was going to turn that whole area into a convention center or maybe a dome stadium. It fell thru after there was talk he may have owned some of that property. Apparently it was very small because it was only $100K or so. But Memphis would be so much further along had that not stalled/failed.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JroxJrox View Post
I don't know if you remember but before Mayor Herenton moved the GreyHound Bus Station he was going to turn that whole area into a convention center or maybe a dome stadium. It fell thru after there was talk he may have owned some of that property. Apparently it was very small because it was only $100K or so. But Memphis would be so much further along had that not stalled/failed.
Yes I do remember that under mayor herenton. Hmm with the buffalo bills lease expiring in 2022 & saints lease up in 2025 it's poss WE could land a relocation franchise. Would need a downtown site that's has available land for new stadium. That's where my curiosity is. Wondering where a good site exists

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Yes I do remember that under mayor herenton. Hmm with the buffalo bills lease expiring in 2022 & saints lease up in 2025 it's poss WE could land a relocation franchise. Would need a downtown site that's has available land for new stadium. That's where my curiosity is. Wondering where a good site exists
Titans wouldn't let that happen. But there are sites along Danny Thomas and Uptown. Some areas in the Pinch, Huge area by the new apartments on the south end off Third.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
The Bills and the Saints are not going anywhere, so why even bring those teams up?

Building a domed stadium just isn't feasible to pursue anymore if its usage is only limited to football and holding large trade shows that may never even come here. That and you have to consider that part of the reason Herenton's pitch failed is because many of those who supported the idea had much preferred to have the stadium built on or near the University of Memphis campus.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:38 PM

Memphis starts reacting to Union Row
Updated: November 13, 2018 10:31 AM CT

Article with some breakdowns/thoughts on different segments. Awesome project, just looking at Google Earth on Streetview and seeing the sheer size of the area it's exciting to see this much has been planned and developers seem to be ready to go. Interesting that one of the office buildings already has an unnamed client planned while the other building would be speculative. Wonder if a company already in town planning a move DT or someone new to the area?

https://dailymemphian.com/article/12...g-to-Union-Row

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
By Tom Bailey Updated: November 13, 2018 10:31 AM CT

Article with some breakdowns/thoughts on different segments. Awesome project, just looking at Google Earth on Streetview and seeing the sheer size of the area it's exciting to see this much has been planned and developers seem to be ready to go. Interesting that one of the office buildings already has an unnamed client planned while the other building would be speculative. Wonder if a company already in town planning a move DT or someone new to the area?

I'm pretty sure they're keeping that a secret until an official announcement can be made.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
Updated: November 13, 2018 10:31 AM CT

I will speculate and say if it's a local company..... FRED's (because of the recent news) I would rather it be some new blood from a new company on top of new jobs added honestly.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 5:14 PM

Would the Inn at Beale and the vib Beale hotel interfere with the other phases of the union row project since it's in the proposed space?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1175 View Post
Would the Inn at Beale and the vib Beale hotel interfere with the other phases of the union row project since it's in the proposed space?
The Vib Hotel project is likely dead along with a couple other planned hotels in that area (i.e, Holiday Inn Express and Cambria Suites). Not so much the Inn at Beale since those plans are preliminary and has apparently been integrated into the Union Row development as one of two planned boutique hotels.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
The Vib Hotel project is likely dead along with a couple other planned hotels in that area (i.e, Holiday Inn Express and Cambria Suites). Not so much the Inn at Beale since those plans are preliminary and has apparently been integrated into the Union Row development as one of two planned boutique hotels.
That's what I was thinking from the overall plans too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations