HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombaman View Post
You won already bro, you are the winner. LRT is no better than a bus, it serves no purpose whatsoever and it shouldn't exist in this world.
Your salt does you no credit. As I've said before, light rail such as the one planned for Arbutus is fine: costs relatively little, complements the SkyTrain instead of trying to replace it, doesn't mess up existing streetscapes. Light rail such as the one planned for Surrey is at best a solution in search of a problem, and at worst an billion-dollar halfway measure.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 8:43 PM

https://www.peacearchnews.com/news/m...meeting-today/

Well this sucks. The projects currently in the works in White Rock were looking really impressive (Foster Martin and Soleil for example). Does this mean that the new council can/will cut back on the heights? If so, that would be a major disappointment.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts and opinions on this.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Your salt does you no credit. As I've said before, light rail such as the one planned for Arbutus is fine: costs relatively little, complements the SkyTrain instead of trying to replace it, doesn't mess up existing streetscapes. Light rail such as the one planned for Surrey is at best a solution in search of a problem, and at worst an billion-dollar halfway measure.
Ehh, I'm honestly iffy on LRT even on Arbutus, TBH. Going from Olympic Village to Bridgeport takes 13 min on the Canada Line. Going from Bridgeport to Olympic Village on LRT is about ~13.3km, or about 7.36 min going at an LRT top speed of 106km/h.

And that assumes no stations or traffic crossings... adding say, 5 stations (Kitsilano, Artbutus-Broadway, King Edwards, 41st Ave, 70th Ave) with a 1 minute stop/slowdown on each increases it to 12.36 min.

Realistically, it won't be operating at top speed, so 14 min?

That's an optimistic scenario, operating at top speed, which is unlikely due to traffic crossings. We can make cars stop for trains (like on Cargo Trains), (and maybe elevate the section right below Burrard, which turns towards Arbutus). However, at this point, it's more like Commuter Rail; not LRT, so may as well go that route (since all semblance of being 'intergrated' into the community have been thrown out the window, and it would allow higher average and top speeds (WCE can go up to 110mph, though I doubt it reaches that speed).

The section near Fir Street would need to either be elevated, single-tracked, or close Fir Street, as would some other sections North Broadway in particular.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Well this sucks. The projects currently in the works in White Rock were looking really impressive (Foster Martin and Soleil for example). Does this mean that the new council can/will cut back on the heights? If so, that would be a major disappointment.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts and opinions on this.
I don't like how they're holding this seemingly important meeting with such little notice.

Also, it mentions restricting existing developments. Surely that can't mean projects that already have shovels in the ground/units sold?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 10:42 AM

From the Surrey Leader:

Quote:
White Rock ‘hits pause button’ on highrises
Council scrutinizes Lower Johnston Road projects that already received development permits
Alex Browne
Nov. 8, 2018 4:47 p.m.
In a meeting that packed council chambers two days after their inauguration, Mayor Darryl Walker and councillors approved a resolution put forward by Walker to amend the Official Community Plan for the Lower Town Centre that would, in effect, create a temporary “study area” of the neighbourhood by reducing maximum building height to four to six storeys.

Council also adopted resolutions from Walker proposing changes to the zoning bylaw that would limit height and density for both the Solterra at 1350 Johnston Rd. and the Lady Alexandra at 1310 Johnston Rd. – a measure suggested by planning and development services director Carl Johannsen and chief administrative officer Dan Bottrill as a means of what Bottrill termed “hitting the pause button” on the projects.

The measure addressing the Lower Johnston Road projects – permitted under Section 463 of the provincial Local Government Act – can be invoked because, while both projects have received a development permit, neither developer has applied for a building permit.

Under the resolutions – which were the subject of debate by council members who disagreed over specific numbers – each property would be limited to a maximum height of six storeys and a density-determining floor area ratio of 3.5, down from 12 storeys and a ratio of 4.8.
https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...-on-highrises/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 3:56 PM

Also, They seem to only be focused on the projects south of thrift. Anything north would fall into existing zoning which allows up to 22 stories I recall

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 1:25 AM

I heard that the City Councillors were not against tall buildings, but that White Rock is not serviced with proper transit to accommodate the population growth that hi rises bring. So it's a catch 22 argument to make from their city planning standpoint...since White Rock can only build up now, and whether or not there are enough buses to accommodate transit needs while considering the small geographic footprint of the city, is a question of fact.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
FYI - Surrey First does not undertake Planning in Surrey - nor does any Council - the non-partisan Planning Department does.
Shift, I am willing in PM to enlighten you as to how it actually works within a city with respect to staff and your "non-partisan" comment, but publicly I can say with a lot of personal experience, that the Council in power has nearly absolute power with respect to what a Planning Department partakes on with respect to big-picture initiatives.

The work they do is absolutely NOT non-partisan sorry to let you know even though the individuals may be. If a planning department is putting into place an agenda for LRT and design of a city, it is 100% because council directed it and if council completely changes their mind and direction, so will the planning department. Again if you'd like a bit more backing on this point, I am willing to chat via PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 9:14 PM

Anthony Perl, director of urban studies for Simon Fraser University, calls McCallum’s proposal “the stupidest” idea he has heard yet for transportation in Metro Vancouver.

His biggest concern is the implications for urban development. Whereas LRT encourages development along the corridor, a SkyTrain system creates “hyper-concentration at the stations — massive skyscrapers — and then deserts between them,” he said.

“That’s not a landscape that I think of as particularly desirable or sustainable, and to pay $2 billion extra to create that, compared to light rail, is why I think it’s the stupidest decision I’ve ever seen, in transportation terms.”

Perl also characterizes the linear-induction propulsion system used in SkyTrain as “a dead-end technology” monopolized by one supplier — Bombardier Inc.

“If you buy a SkyTrain, there’s only one supplier and you can only get it at the price they give to you,” Perl said. “There’s no price competition.”

I totally agree with him, unfortunately, the pareto rule prevailed in this case.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Anthony Perl, director of urban studies for Simon Fraser University, calls McCallum’s proposal “the stupidest” idea he has heard yet for transportation in Metro Vancouver.

His biggest concern is the implications for urban development. Whereas LRT encourages development along the corridor, a SkyTrain system creates “hyper-concentration at the stations — massive skyscrapers — and then deserts between them,” he said.

“That’s not a landscape that I think of as particularly desirable or sustainable, and to pay $2 billion extra to create that, compared to light rail, is why I think it’s the stupidest decision I’ve ever seen, in transportation terms.”

Perl also characterizes the linear-induction propulsion system used in SkyTrain as “a dead-end technology” monopolized by one supplier — Bombardier Inc.

“If you buy a SkyTrain, there’s only one supplier and you can only get it at the price they give to you,” Perl said. “There’s no price competition.”

I totally agree with him, unfortunately, the pareto rule prevailed in this case.

Here we go again with that old trope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Whether it's a LRT or RRT doesn't really matter. What's matter is whether the city want to develop that area and zone it accordingly. It's a long distance between Lougheed and Burquitlam, but the City of Coquitlam wants to develop that strip, and we're starting to see high-density housing projects going up replacing the old apartments. If it's RRT going down Fraser, development is going to be focused at Fleetwood, Clayton, and Willowbrook-Langley. If it's LRT, development is still going to be focused at Fleetwood, Clayton, and Willowbrook-Langley. If the city wants to turn Fraser into a liner strip of urban jungle cutting right through Green Timber and ALR, there's nothing stopping (or helping) them from doing so whether it's LRT or RRT.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 6:28 PM

No, don't have time for argument. Just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Here we go again with that old trope...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:07 AM
Rational urbanist

Yeah, that argument really makes no sense. Development patterns all depend on station locations, not technology. I don't see how just because LRT is slower that it'll encourage development farther from stations. It's not like people will be jumping out LRT windows. Development would likely be the same with both technologies, and even with BRT.

The Newton-Guildford line, while pushed back now, will likely end up as BRT and will be well served by it. The LRT plan was so bad that it had to be repealed at nearly any cost. I am very happy with the new direction that we seem to be headed in, especially as a future Surrey resident!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Yeah, that argument really makes no sense. Development patterns all depend on station locations, not technology. I don't see how just because LRT is slower that it'll encourage development farther from stations. It's not like people will be jumping out LRT windows. Development would likely be the same with both technologies, and even with BRT.
This. Doesn't matter what the store or restaurant is, I have never felt the need to go to a store or restaurant just because I saw it on the way. Surrey businesses should be relying on foot traffic, marketing and good ol' word of mouth, not a fancy-assed rail bus.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:37 AM

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:

I'm having a more difficult time these days taking anything that comes out of academia without a grain of salt. Unfortunately, ideology is pushing the academic world in many areas toward the realm of fanaticism and that's unfortunately what I see in these quotes. Any academic who uses words like "the stupidest" and "dead-end technology" is just pushing an ideological opinion and quite frankly over simplifying things.

Transit use in Metro-Vancouver is some of the highest in North America. Portland for example is put up as this shining beacon of how Vancouver should be designed but statistically we use transit double digits more in Metro Vancouver than in Portland even with their "amazing LRT" system we hear about all the time.

So it seems to me like we're actually doing things right if our adoption rates are higher and we should stop worrying about what others are doing. It works here and is working here, so we shouldn't re-invent the wheel.

He is right on some of his points that there is a danger of densifying around SkyTrain hubs and having deserts in between, but that honestly is not the reality in Metro-Vancouver and would quite frankly not change with LRT either.

This whole debate between LRT vs SkyTrain is honestly a debate between ground-based trains vs grade-separated trains. That's it. It isn't a technological debate at all. But people make it out to be. That's the whole problem, people are arguing a point that has never been the point and that's what McCallum and his team, and honestly a majority of those in Surrey, see.

The body can't function without a backbone and neither can a transportation network. You need to rapidly move people around a region from center to center, then from there the modes of travel descend to support smaller and smaller circles. You can't have one without the other and have effective traffic management.

I don't care that you have a "Director" in your title and work for SFU, paper doesn't often translate into reality. I was taught by a few PhD professors when I was in school that wouldn't survive in the actual industry they taught about simply because of that disconnect between what works in theory or in a hypothesis, and what actually translates into the real world with the many dozens of times more variables academics never account for when trying to make their points.

The sooner we stop debating all of these projects and just start building the damned things, the better the region will be. That's the cold-hard reality.

And if you still think it is LRT vs SkyTrain, how many of you on the old LRT front think Broadway extension is a bad idea? Guess what news flash, that is SKYTRAIN even though it will be a subway. Has nothing to do with technology but rather grade-seperated vs non.

Quite frankly they should both be built at the same time anyway. Shouldn't even be tied together aka they should be building RRT extension out to Langley and at the same time building LRT Newton to Guildford. That's another issue in this region I won't get into, but our inability to do more than 1 thing at a time.

And it isn't all about money. It's largely about desire and having some balls.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 10:59 PM

New renders released for "The Holland" located on Old Yale and 133 St.

https://www.townline.ca/en/homes/new-homes/holland

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post

I just looked up the exact location on google maps and saw the development proposal board - which has more info than their website does.

Number of units, apt.: 240
Number of units, townhouses: 8
Height: 25 storeys (72m)

(These numbers are approximate only and may change before final approval)

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post

Nice clean design, but a little underwhelming in my opinion.

Glad to see it's getting going though.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:54 PM

A little taller tower would have been nice. Also, some variation of the cladding and overall look would have been nice!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 12:14 AM

Ok that's friggin ugly!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley