HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:33 AM

Yeah, that is a wretchedly, horribly bad design. I don't think I could come up with something worse if I tried.

And I agree, 2023 is a very long timeline for such a project at this point. Usually one would expect some delays, but hell the new MSY terminal was originally scheduled to go from planning to opening in less than 5 years. They need to be seriously working on the park and buildings that will surround the hotel. I'm not a big fan of Vegas generally, but this area needs some Cirque du Soleil or similar type venue plus some nightclubs to be attractive outside of convention attendees.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:56 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Yeah, that is a wretchedly, horribly bad design. I don't think I could come up with something worse if I tried.

And I agree, 2023 is a very long timeline for such a project at this point. Usually one would expect some delays, but hell the new MSY terminal was originally scheduled to go from planning to opening in less than 5 years. They need to be seriously working on the park and buildings that will surround the hotel. I'm not a big fan of Vegas generally, but this area needs some Cirque du Soleil or similar type venue plus some nightclubs to be attractive outside of convention attendees.
i kind of settled on the fact awhile ago that with omni involved this is about the design i expected ... not awful but nothing interesting either... im interested now in how the neighborhood around it will unfold

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 8:01 AM

That hotel design is horrendous. That would look out of place even in Atlanta or Charlotte. That just does not fit outside of one of the desert states. God, that is an awful design for this region.

On another note, is there some dearth of storage units in the Greater NOLA area that calls for a sudden boom in large storage facility construction across Metairie and in parts of the city?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:17 PM

Is the New Orleans economy and real estate market better now than it was pre Katrina? It looks like it from all the construction photos, but would be interested to hear if that is in fact the case.

I'm also interested in infill development. Are parking lots and other vacant spaces disappearing in favor of development? Approximately how many parking lots/parking spaces are being lost to development in the downtown area each year?

Sorry for the random questions, but New Orleans' growth and development is fascinating to me.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
That hotel design is horrendous. That would look out of place even in Atlanta or Charlotte. That just does not fit outside of one of the desert states. God, that is an awful design for this region.

On another note, is there some dearth of storage units in the Greater NOLA area that calls for a sudden boom in large storage facility construction across Metairie and in parts of the city?
Not to pile on criticism, but I don’t understand the benefit of the location. A major convention hotel should go in the whale parking lot (I know it’s owned by Hilton but they discussed a land swap in the past) or go directly above some part of the existing convention center. That big plot of vacant land is too far away from touristy things for a hotel. It would be better as condos, a grocery store, restaurants, and offices.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Not to pile on criticism, but I don’t understand the benefit of the location. A major convention hotel should go in the whale parking lot (I know it’s owned by Hilton but they discussed a land swap in the past) or go directly above some part of the existing convention center. That big plot of vacant land is too far away from touristy things for a hotel. It would be better as condos, a grocery store, restaurants, and offices.
these convention center hotel things are generally self contained so it will work but it will be much better when the neighborhood fills in around it.. also the whale parking lot is too small.. convention center hotels need a certain square footage to even make sense ... this is contiguous floor space on one floor.. thats what event planners like and want.. so it wasnt really an option for them

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Is the New Orleans economy and real estate market better now than it was pre Katrina? It looks like it from all the construction photos, but would be interested to hear if that is in fact the case.

I'm also interested in infill development. Are parking lots and other vacant spaces disappearing in favor of development? Approximately how many parking lots/parking spaces are being lost to development in the downtown area each year?

Sorry for the random questions, but New Orleans' growth and development is fascinating to me.
its definitely much better and on top of that very different than pre Katrina economy.. its more diverse now and also the same national trends that are changing all national cities are doing the same here... in fact katrina itself was one of the catalysts for these changes in New Orleans...

as far as parking lots being lost.. id say its 5-7 now... this has gone up in recent years as all available renovations or repositionings of existing buildings are disappearing

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
in fact katrina itself was one of the catalysts for these changes in New Orleans...
That's what I suspected...

Quote:
as far as parking lots being lost.. id say its 5-7 now... this has gone up in recent years as all available renovations or repositionings of existing buildings are disappearing
Awesome. Thanks. Would it be fair to say that, on average, 1 to 2 parking lots in the central area (let's say central area means: CDB, French Quarter, and immediately adjacent neighborhoods) are being lost to development? I was suprised to see there was still a large number of parking spaces just south of Rampart east of Canal and elsewhere.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:

Awesome. Thanks. Would it be fair to say that, on average, 1 to 2 parking lots in the central area (let's say central area means: CDB, French Quarter, and immediately adjacent neighborhoods) are being lost to development? I was suprised to see there was still a large number of parking spaces just south of Rampart east of Canal and elsewhere.
Well just in the South Market District 3 parking lots were developed, and a 4th is being developed now. Wasn't 930 Poydras a parking lot before? And the parking garage and Dave/Busters at Loyola and Poydras was a parking lot very recently. So there's 5-6 already off the top of my head. You also have the massive parking lot where The Julia is being built right now, plus the one where The Kalorama is being built (though that was part building, part parking lot). The WWII Museum built their garage on a lot, and they're building their hotel right now on another lot next door. Canal Crossing is being built on a lot. Then the Virgin Hotel and the co-living building by Wisznia will both be built on lots. Farther from the core there's that new apartment building going up next to Xavier and Blue Plate that's on the old site of a warehouse and large parking lot.

So yeah there are a lot of parking lots being taken up by development, even as much of our development is still in existing buildings that have been unused. Once those get filled up, I would imagine the pace of lots converting to buildings will pick up some.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
Well just in the South Market District 3 parking lots were developed, and a 4th is being developed now. Wasn't 930 Poydras a parking lot before? And the parking garage and Dave/Busters at Loyola and Poydras was a parking lot very recently. So there's 5-6 already off the top of my head. You also have the massive parking lot where The Julia is being built right now, plus the one where The Kalorama is being built (though that was part building, part parking lot). The WWII Museum built their garage on a lot, and they're building their hotel right now on another lot next door. Canal Crossing is being built on a lot. Then the Virgin Hotel and the co-living building by Wisznia will both be built on lots. Farther from the core there's that new apartment building going up next to Xavier and Blue Plate that's on the old site of a warehouse and large parking lot.

So yeah there are a lot of parking lots being taken up by development, even as much of our development is still in existing buildings that have been unused. Once those get filled up, I would imagine the pace of lots converting to buildings will pick up some.
The parking garage on Persido St., the Ace Hotel expansion, and the Homeward Suits on Rampart Street also eliminated some parking lots.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 8:01 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
The parking garage on Persido St., the Ace Hotel expansion, and the Homeward Suits on Rampart Street also eliminated some parking lots.
there are those and the Garage for Hibernia Tower, The Annunciation, Residence Inn on St Charles Ave, The Office Building on S Peters next to red eye, new Dinos Building the GNO Foundation Building,Cambria Suites

starting soon projects taking parking lots would be 315 Girod, 821 Tchoupitoulas garagem 1020 Annunciation, 1031 Annunciation, 1717 Canal, 1047 Camp, last phase of South Market , 923 Julia

another indication that available rehabs and repositionings are disappearing is that you are seeing some of these larger surface parking lots that remain starting to hit the market for sale... thats an indication that the next round of development (save for Plaza Tower and the Old Power Plant) will have to be new construction

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 14, 2018 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 8:03 PM
-

Quote:

id say this number is low now.. its a good 4-7 now and im sure that number will climb.. and btw these surface lots being built on are not small ones either but sometimes whole city blocks.. there really arent that many surface parking lots outside the core area.. at least stand alone ones

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 10:13 PM
life is good

The convention center hotel looks a bit mish-mashed but it has potential. the real problem imo with the render is that the quality is so low it's hard to get a good read on it

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 10:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
The convention center hotel looks a bit mish-mashed but it has potential. the real problem imo with the render is that the quality is so low it's hard to get a good read on it
the convention center website has a high def rendering

https://www.mccno.com/matthews-south...uarters-hotel/

BTW just noticed one things thats a huge headscatcher.. why would you have the pools on that side and not the otherside facing the river? granted you wont get a skyline view on that side.. im unsure of how the suns shadows would fall so perhaps the problem is that back side is going to be dark alot .. if so some type of rooftop feature would make a lot of sense to me

Also looks like the airport chose theclubairportlounges.com for the common use lounge... and yes priority access passes will be accepted there

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 15, 2018 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 2:43 AM

Below is a link to the hotel architect's website if anyone is interested in their other work.

http://nmdarch.com/

The hotel doesn't look large enough to have 1200 rooms. Also, the white structure behind the hotel appears to be a parking garage. Some improvements that could be made would be to remove the beige window grid then selectively add a few solar awnings to breakup the glass façade. Having two separate towers rather than the L-shape proposed with some type of rooftop pool feature may also improve its appearance.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 2:55 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightech1217 View Post
Below is a link to the hotel architect's website if anyone is interested in their other work.

http://nmdarch.com/

The hotel doesn't look large enough to have 1200 rooms. Also, the white structure behind the hotel appears to be a parking garage. Some improvements that could be made would be to remove the beige window grid then selectively add a few solar awnings to breakup the glass façade. Having two separate towers rather than the L-shape proposed with some type of rooftop pool feature may also improve its appearance.
Actually 1200 rooms isnt that many really for the size.. i count around 27 floors above the podium so that works out to about 44 rooms per floor

Also you can definitely get an idea about the ground floor design they are going for from the Nashville Omni hotel

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post

ROE is greater on them vs apartments/hotels/condos. Planning & construction costs significantly lower and long term holding costs are also substantially lower - taxes, insurance, utilities. The amount they get for those jail cells is obscene.

Tying into the parking lot thread - a prominent parking lot on Magazine once slated for a hotel is now becoming one of these storage monstrosities. Such a wasted opportunity.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Actually 1200 rooms isnt that many really for the size.. i count around 27 floors above the podium so that works out to about 44 rooms per floor

Also you can definitely get an idea about the ground floor design they are going for from the Nashville Omni hotel
Keep that ugly $hit in Nashville.

None of the projects on this website have any cohesiveness. I actually like the Broward hotel tower, not so much the rest. Something similar to that would be pretty impressive on that site.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU_Forte View Post
Keep that ugly $hit in Nashville.

None of the projects on this website have any cohesiveness. I actually like the Broward hotel tower, not so much the rest. Something similar to that would be pretty impressive on that site.
I agree I think the Broward county convention center hotel fits New Orleans way more then that Nashville style hotel they are showing us in the renderings.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 1:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post
I agree I think the Broward county convention center hotel fits New Orleans way more then that Nashville style hotel they are showing us in the renderings.
Broward county one is gorgeous but im sure way more expensive .. so i woulsnt exoect anything to look like that unfortunately

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations