HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Spiral in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 10:32 AM

from a distance this heap looks like . .
. . "the P A R T Y C A K E building !" . .
YaY !! . . Shove some pretty candles into that flat top . .

Sometimes a gifted architect may focus too hard on the details,
. . to the point that he's blind to the ridiculously obvious.
Workers may enjoy their terraces, . .
but the rest of the city has to behold the spectacle.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 5:41 PM
Fake News

Count me among those unimpressed with the BIG design. Ingels does amazing work but this and 2 WTC really look lackluster to me.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 2:01 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.wsj.com/articles/blackroc...unt-1469643587

BlackRock Fills Wall Street Void in Headquarters Hunt
Asset manager has narrowed search for new headquarters down to three sites in Manhattan

By Sarah Krouse
July 27, 2016

Quote:
BlackRock Inc. is presenting New York real-estate developers with something they haven’t seen in a while—a financial firm that is looking to grow.

While big banks and hedge funds are in retreat and emptying out space, the asset management giant is deciding whether to move into a new global headquarters and is narrowing its review of sites being developed in Manhattan down to three.

The 850,000-square-foot deal will be among the biggest leases of the year for the city and a contrast to the direction of the banking industry.

....BlackRock’s search has become the focal point for brokers looking to lock in one of the highest profile tenants now examining space. The firm is considering sites at the Hudson Yards development on the far West Side, neighboring Manhattan West and the World Trade Center development in lower Manhattan, according to people familiar with the matter, in addition to remaining in its current space.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
Similar to 2 WTC, this project will end up in Recycle Bin. This is a concept for now and I do not think anybody with even a little sense of aesthetics will approve that box.
I hope so cuz this design really does sucks.

The more supertalls Bjarke designs the more it is apparent that he does not do this niche of architecture very well. Please stick to low and mid rises Bjarke Ingels Group, thanks.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
it could win an award as laziest, most uninspired design of all the supertalls.
This is bad but the lazy award goes without any question IMO to 432 Park by Vinoly.... No architect was really needed to design it; just engineers to ensure that they could go high enough without the risk of collapsing using basically a glorified pile of cement with holes (windows) in it.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 3:00 PM

Quote:
This is bad but the lazy award goes without any question IMO to 432 Park by Vinoly.... No architect was really needed to design it; just engineers to ensure that they could go high enough without the risk of collapsing using basically a glorified pile of cement with holes (windows) in it.
I agree that 432 park is uninspired, but at least it adds a peak to an otherwise as of now uninteresting section of the skyline (I was on layover in Laguardia, and 432 looked amazing from the tarmac as a silhouette). The Spire won't add anything significant to the area skyline wise.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.wsj.com/articles/blackroc...unt-1469643587

BlackRock Fills Wall Street Void in Headquarters Hunt
Asset manager has narrowed search for new headquarters down to three sites in Manhattan

By Sarah Krouse
July 27, 2016
This site is not being consider according to another article - they are considering: The Durst Organization’s One World Trade Center, the Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group’s Hudson Yards and Brookfield Property Partners’ Manhattan West. Per -
http://therealdeal.com/2016/07/27/bl...ree-locations/

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 11:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
This site is not being consider according to another article - they are considering: The Durst Organization’s One World Trade Center, the Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group’s Hudson Yards and Brookfield Property Partners’ Manhattan West. Per -
http://therealdeal.com/2016/07/27/bl...ree-locations/
I wish Blackrock would consider WTC2. Would be a great tenant and suit the original design, plus it could finally, finally help get that stalled project rising.

But at the same time, I can see why they wouldn't. Silverstein is too greedy. Plus a $3 billion+ tower would naturally command high rents.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 10:21 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/2016/09/28/bl...ds-for-new-hq/

BlackRock targets Hudson Yards for new HQ
Asset management giant is looking for as much as 1M sf of office space

September 28, 2016

Quote:
BlackRock has set its sights on Hudson Yards for a new headquarters as big as 1 million square feet.

The company currently rents around 700,000 square feet in two buildings – Fisher Brothers and Soho China’s 55 East 52nd Street and Rudin Management’s 40 East 52nd Street. The lease at 55 East 52nd is due to expire in 2023. In February, The Real Deal reported BlackRock had tapped a JLL team led by Peter Riguardi to find a new, larger office space.

By July, the company had shortlisted three possible new locations: The Durst Organization’s One World Trade Center, the Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group’s Hudson Yards, and Brookfield Property Partners’ Manhattan West. The company is also still holding onto the option of staying at its current location.

But, according to Crain’s, BlackRock is now considering two proposed towers in the Hudson Yards neighborhood. One is 50 Hudson Yards, developed by Related and Oxford, which is located on West 33rd Street and 10th Avenue. The other is Tishman Speyer’s building, the Spiral, which is planned for one block north of 50 Hudson Yards and will span 2.85 million square feet.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 10:25 PM
Ω

It's a pretty cool way to give every floor some outdoor space.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 11:50 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I hope Blackrock considers this now that I think about it versus its competition like 50 Hudson. IDK, I just think a tower like will be harder to fill versus 50 HY. Would be nice to get this off the ground. Plus 50 HY isn't really that stellar IMO.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 12:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I hope Blackrock considers this now that I think about it versus its competition like 50 Hudson. IDK, I just think a tower like will be harder to fill versus 50 HY. Would be nice to get this off the ground. Plus 50 HY isn't really that stellar IMO.
We really haven't seen a final design for 50 Hudson yet. But both towers are relatively the same size, accounting for half of the so called "four corners" towers of the Hudson Yards (the other two being 3 Hudson Blvd and 55 Hudson Yards (which isn't being built to its full potential).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 5:18 AM

It still will be a nice tower, but this was the spot which could have been a soaring centerpiece for the West Side, the Hudson Spire designation being a placeholder but something 1,500 ft or more could have and should have gone here. Now we have the zig zagging garden gimmick tower of BIG and Bjark Ingels. As if he didn't screw up World Trade Center II badly enough.

They really settled here though.. barely supertall. Height isn't everything of course, but this spot screamed for the most prominent placement in the West Side. Thinking about the Spiral going up just bums me now,lol... great for them though if they can get Black Rock as their anchor tenant.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 9:22 AM

I hope they choose 50 Hudson, honestly Related hasn't designed a bad tower at the complex, so expect that trend to continue. Also it would put more pressure on Tishman to redesign this site and hopefully it would reflect the sites potential. Maybe a mixed use tower, of office, hotel, and residential.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 11:39 AM

Good bye Hudson spire they must come back to This Tower cause it Will be the signature Tower of the Hudson yards

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 12:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
It still will be a nice tower, but this was the spot which could have been a soaring centerpiece for the West Side, the Hudson Spire designation being a placeholder but something 1,500 ft or more could have and should have gone here. Now we have the zig zagging garden gimmick tower of BIG and Bjark Ingels. As if he didn't screw up World Trade Center II badly enough.

They really settled here though.. barely supertall. Height isn't everything of course, but this spot screamed for the most prominent placement in the West Side. Thinking about the Spiral going up just bums me now,lol... great for them though if they can get Black Rock as their anchor tenant.
They didn't settle anything. Tishman Speyer isn't some amateur development company looking to make a statment. The Hudson Yards was rezoned by the City to allow for large scale office construction - something the City needs. I know a lot of cities don't need the big 2 - 3 msf office towers, but New York does. This is the spot where you build that. A soaring residential can go anywhere, on much smaller lots, as we are already seeing.

Tishman made the right (grownup) call here. Take note.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
They didn't settle anything. Tishman Speyer isn't some amateur development company looking to make a statment. The Hudson Yards was rezoned by the City to allow for large scale office construction - something the City needs. I know a lot of cities don't need the big 2 - 3 msf office towers, but New York does. This is the spot where you build that. A soaring residential can go anywhere, on much smaller lots, as we are already seeing.

Tishman made the right (grownup) call here. Take note.
While it's a good financial decision for Tishman lets not sit here acting like this is good architecture. It is no doubt a missed opportunity from a design stand point.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 12:47 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Tishman Speyer files plans for $3.2B Hudson Yards tower

Quote:
Everything is spiraling into place for Tishman Speyer.

The developer officially filed plans Thursday for the Spiral, an office skyscraper that is slated to cost $3.2 billion. Plans filed with the city’s Department of Buildings call for a 2.2 million-square-foot tower, but Tishman Speyer is marketing the property at 2.85 million square feet.

The Spiral, named after its design feature of a continuous band of terraces that wrap around the building, will rise 65 stories to a height of 1,005 feet, and has an alternate address of 509 West 34th Street. It is being designed by Bjarke Ingels TRData LogoTINY, the Danish architect behind the 2 World Trade Center redesign and VIA57.

In 2014, Tishman Speyer, headed by Rob Speyer, paid about $438 million for the parcels that make up the site. Later that year, it applied for a $170 million, 25-year tax break at the project.

According to the DOB plans, the ground floor will have retail space — Tishman Speyer has said in marketing materials there will be about 27,000 square feet of retail — while the second through 62nd floors of the building will be office space. Asset management giant BlackRock is considering the building, along with neighboring 50 Hudson Yards, for its new headquarters.
===========================
TRD

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 1:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
While it's a good financial decision for Tishman lets not sit here acting like this is good architecture. It is no doubt a missed opportunity from a design stand point.
Why shoyld we act like it's bad architecture? I don't see anything bad about it. It's a solidly designed office skyscraper. Will everyone love it? Of course not. But not everyone loves everything. If the Hudson Spire mockup had been built, you woyld have people whining over it.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Why shoyld we act like it's bad architecture? I don't see anything bad about it. It's a solidly designed office skyscraper. Will everyone love it? Of course not. But not everyone loves everything. If the Hudson Spire mockup had been built, you woyld have people whining over it.

Yes, yes i know. In the same right the square office towers that we all love on Park avenue are stellar.
This tower is sub par to whats being built at the Hudson Yards so in the context of its surrounding development
its nothing extraordinary. This also isn't BIG's most innovative work so in some regard this tower does leave a lot to be desired.
In terms of good design the mock-up and height of the tower portrayed previously for the site was more exciting
so you can't expect people to be jumping for joy over this. It is a matter of opinion and if this was built on Lexington or Madison ave.
perhaps people would be more eager to want to see this design rise but like I said given its location we just expected better. I don't think you'll disagree.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive