HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
For all the people fearing carmageddon, can any of you produce an example that happened in the real world where car capacity was reduced and it was a complete disaster?

All of the ones I know point to the exact opposite:
  • Collapse of the West Side Highway in New York
  • Demolishing of damaged freeways in San Francisco
  • Removal of the Cheongyecheon freeway in Seoul, Korea
  • Removal of Park Interchange in Montreal

If you do know an example of highway removal being a disaster please enlighten me.
Maybe instead of asking us the question, you can also enlighten us by showing the vast improvements those aforementioned cities created by investing in their rapid transit systems, rezoning more commercial zones to encourage people to commute to new areas other than the traditional city centres, having the number of alternative and improved roadways to enter the city centres after the highway removal, etc. Without providing those points, your conclusion is overly simplistic.

By the way, the cities you mentioned already have some of the worst traffic congestions in the whole world, and they are still getting worse everyday. Carmaggeddon already exists there. Somehow they managed to divert their traffic through other improved routes by removing certain sections of their old highways. However, congestions may be gone at the spots where the old highways were removed, but that doesn't mean that other areas are not. In fact, perhaps they got worse?

San Fran traffic congestions among the worst in the world (2017): not getting better with the section of elevated highway removal after the quake:
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...d-10960858.php

Seoul's way of dealing with traffic congestions: high tech traffic system, expansive system of subway trains and buses, dedicated bus lanes, etc. (not removal of urban infrastructure)
http://english.cri.cn/7146/2010/11/12/2001s604741.htm

New York's 5 points to deal with traffic congestions do not include "removing old highways".
https://ny.curbed.com/2017/10/23/165...de-blasio-plan

As for our very own viaducts, I know that their removal will make traffic conditions much worse around the north Falsecreek area. It's the same as traffic congestions becoming really bad after the introduction of massive number of bike lanes around downtown without the major improvements of other transportation amenities. How do I know that? I've lived downtown for more than a decade and I can feel the impact. Furthermore, the 200-300mil demolishing the viaducts, building a "new highway" to replace Prior Street and widening Pacific Boulevard to create a Super Road actually leave a bad taste in my mouth. How can you then say that the removal of the viaducts is in fact "reducing roadways"? In fact, a lot more roadways will be added which is not necessary in the first place. The money should be better spent on providing more buses on all urban streets, creating bus lanes on existing roads, etc.

Last edited by Vin; Oct 25, 2017 at 11:27 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure