HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 1:56 PM
New Yorker for life

It's been a very busy year for reviewing skyscraper designs and proposals in New York, and there's still more to come. Here's a look at some of the largest developments and proposals that will change the face of Manhattan...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 4:33 PM

From the blog of Lee Rosenbaum, a freelance writer for the relative arts sections of the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal
Quote:
75 stories? Did they say 75 STORIES???
Trust me, the neighbors and, hopefully, the City Planning Board are not going to stand for a 75-story look-at-me skyscraper on this cross street. New York skyscrapers in this part of midtown are customarily consigned to the avenues; the cross streets are less dense and more lowrise in character. West 54th Street is partly residential. Does Hines, the developer, really have the air rights to do this? Is a big zoning variance slugfest on the drawing boards?
NYGuy what do you make of this......

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 7:25 PM
Ascension

Good heavens! What are the names of those buildings?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 7:45 PM
World Machine

Well, we got at least 7 buildings from those renders above with roof heights over 1000', plus there are still more to come. We're the only city in the country that has that going on, and 2nd in the World (behind Dubai). Not to mention all the other 700+ footers going up. The way I see it, noone else can touch New York.

And to that quote from the article above; I feel that that concept is one that has been drained in Midtown Manhattan, due to the decades of development. The facing of Avenues is something that is coming to an end for new buildings in that part of the city, and hopefully a building such as this can start a new trend and be used as an example, that building mid-block isn't a bad thing (in terms to an address).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 7:55 PM
Ascension

The ones I'm familar with is the Girasole, the Nouvel Tower, and the WTC. Are the others a part of the Rail Yards or all different projects?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 9:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFisher123 View Post
From the blog of Lee Rosenbaum, a freelance writer for the relative arts sections of the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal

NYGuy what do you make of this......
Nothing at all. There are no height limits in that area. Like most NY skyscrapers, it is limited by its size. The design took into account setback regulations.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 9:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
The ones I'm familar with is the Girasole, the Nouvel Tower, and the WTC. Are the others a part of the Rail Yards or all different projects?
The towers of the second group are strictly railyard proposals.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

The concept of a mid-block tower is hardly new for Manhattan, and we are beginning to see more of these as space is limited.

Below is the site of Extell's new tower, as well as the Cityspire, once New York's tallest residential tower.

This tower by comparison

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 11:41 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6fb7bf8c-a...0779fd2ac.html

A dreaming spire for Manhattan

By Edwin Heathcote
December 4 2007

Manhattan had long lost its crown as the world’s skyscraper capital when Mohamed Atta smashed American Airlines Flight 11 into the first of the Twin Towers. Yet that dramatic, appalling moment triggered a defiant reaction. A slew of new towers is now appearing, on screens and on the ground.

Renzo Piano’s diaphanously corporate New York Times Tower has just opened to rapturous reviews; Ground Zero is hosting towers by Foster, Rogers and Fumihiko Maki, and slick condo towers are springing up everywhere like minimalist fungus. But the latest proposal is by far the most surprising. French architect Jean Nouvel has proposed the most radical and striking skyscraper to trouble New York’s low-drifting clouds in a generation.

The design for the tower, neighbouring the Museum of Modern Art, is a piercing, dangerous-looking spike, an anorexic contemporary version of the soaring twin spires of St Patrick’s Cathedral, which dominated the city’s skyline until the advent of skyscrapers in the early 20th century.

The proposal, at 53 W. 53rd St, commissioned by real estate firm Hines, comprises 75 storeys of accommodation and, at 350m, pierces the skyline at a height between the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings. It will embrace 5,000 square metres of extra accommodation for MoMA, which will expand into its lower floors, above retail provision, while the upper floors will house a seven-star hotel sharing services with the 120 or so (extremely) top-end condominiums above.

The form of the structure is dictated by the city’s famous zoning and light diagrams formulated in the early 20th century to ensure that some light reached the lower storeys of buildings and the streets below as early, blocky towers began to create a deep, dark canyon effect. It is a subtractive process, starting with a slab that is progressively carved away. It was these regulations that led to the distinctive stepped and set-back shapes of the city’s buildings. But rather than setting back, Nouvel has created sloping, intriguingly complex crystalline surfaces that follow the exact lines of the diagrams.

Talking in his stripped-down, post- industrial Paris Atelier, the architect tells me: “We stuck very closely to the abstract forms of the diagrams but that created a very complex and irregular form. Because of that strange shape we had to put all the structure around the perimeter. The result is a kind of net of random shapes and the idea was to live in the structure, to be conscious of it.

“The building changes shape as it ascends, it moves around. The shape,” he says, holding up his hand, “is like this, three fingers pointing into the sky.” Nouvel runs through a presentation on his laptop, showing proposals for the night-time lighting of the building (“it will make it look like it has blood running through the veins of the structure,” he grins), the extraordinary interiors (“the structure becomes the space, we don’t need interior decorators here,” he grins again) and renderings of the pool and the gallery.

“MoMA itself will have an influence on the spirit of the building,” he tells me. This, I can’t help thinking, is a little mischievous. MoMA’s recent extension, by Japanese minimalist Yoshio Taniguchi, drew praise for its harsh, white elegance but criticism for its severity and inflexibility. Nouvel’s tower, with its structural, almost sci-fi expressionism, is a building in which the architecture pushes itself aggressively into the foreground.

Nouvel is one of the most consistent, challenging and charismatic of the contemporary international superstars. His office has no set house style and his oeuvre embraces the industrial toughness of Minneapolis’s Guthrie Theatre and the transparent clarity of the Fondation Cartier, but it is with myriad kinds of sensuous filigree surfaces that he has made his most startling and gorgeous buildings – from the exquisite Institut du Monde Arabe on the banks of the Seine (with which he made his name exactly 20 years ago) to the glorious, colour-saturated, pixellated shell of Barcelona’s Torre Agbar and his plans for the franchised Louvre outpost in Abu Dhabi, a city of art beneath a flat dome of intense complexity. The MoMA tower is a continuation of this experimentation but using structure as surface and on a supersized scale.

He is also working on a pair of enormous buildings in London, a new retail and office complex, 1 New Change (designed in a faceted, folded manner, which he calls “stealth architecture”) and Walbrook Square, a joint project with Foster & Partners.

The MoMA Tower, though, is something else. Its jagged profile, brash confidence, complex structure and almost gothic profile may well make it everything that the Freedom Tower (conceived by Daniel Libeskind, comprehensively neutered by David Childs of SOM) is proving not to be. Its structure is not unique – Chicago’s John Hancock Tower used less complex diagrid forms as did Foster in his Hearst Tower a few blocks away, while OMA is conducting similarly radical structural experiments in its theatrically weird headquarters for CCTV in Beijing. But, if it is built, it will arguably be the most radical skyscraper in New York since the Chrysler Building.

Not a bad commission, I suggest? “A big skyscraper in Manhattan, next to one of the most well-known spots in the city,” Nouvel sits down and leans back in his chair. He grins one final time. “It’s a dream,” he says.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:19 AM
Show me the blueprints

So about 1150'. Not too shabby.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
So about 1150'. Not too shabby.
Not bad at all. I would have taken even 1050'. But I originally expected an 800 footer here, so this really is the biggest surprise of the year. A nice Christmas gift to the City.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 3:40 AM
World Machine

What a nice surprise. 1150' sounds good to me.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:48 PM

I could handle a one year delay if they scaled this up to 1776 ft and used it for the Freedom tower
This is the best NYC design since the Chrysler.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 10:03 PM
Ω

How did this go from being 1300' to 1150'? I guess they aren't counting the turbine spire?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 10:07 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
How did this go from being 1300' to 1150'? I guess they aren't counting the turbine spire?
The 1300' was just speculation from us. I don't think it was ever said (officially) that 1300' was to be the height. I actually heard the height was going to be under 1000', so this is good news.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 10:32 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Renzo Piano’s diaphanously corporate New York Times Tower has just opened to rapturous reviews
Yeah, people praising that tower is definately a sign of the rapture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
at 350m
Then hopefully a diagram by monday.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 11:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
hopefully a diagram by monday.
Yeah, around 1150 ft seems to be the marker for now. Still not sure exactly where that puts it in the New York rankings, with so many things in a state of flux now. But its taller than Gehry's planned tower. The Girasole? Who knows.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 3:25 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Personally, it should be against the law to dislike this skyscraper.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 3:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Even though it doesn't have the history (and has yet to be built), this one is already up there with the Chrysler for me. It just says "New York".

greenbuildingsnyc.com

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:52 AM
Urban Explorer

It's very "gotham." New York is starting to get a little bit crazy with all these proposals - pass some of that success to the rest of us!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive