HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 12:31 PM
New Yorker for life

The bigger question is, if the CPC doesn't believe the Tower Verre is worthy of sharing the same air space as the Empire State's spire, why have it share the same air space as the Chrysler's, which happens to be the city's best? Is not the Chrysler worthy of such consideration?

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 5:14 PM

Irritating, to say the least.

The bigger issue with me though is that this proves there are so few places left in this country where a beautiful super-tall building can be built without running into major opposition and obsticals. I mean seriously, this is freaking Midtown Manhattan, if not here then where? The back-to-the-city movement unfortunately has the downside of bringing suburbanites who don't understand urban living into cities where they corrupt they political process to suit their own selfish desires. In Chicago, we can't even build above 10 stories 5 blocks west of Sears Tower, again because of NIMBY bull shit.

This is more than about having 200 feet cut off the top of this tower, which is by far one of the best super-tall designs unveiled this past decade; but rather its part of the growing trend nationwide that is capping the potential of our cities to continue evolving. If I want to live in growing, thriving city where new supertalls continue to reshape and redefine the skyline and push the limits of high-rise design; then I guess its looking more and more like I have to live somewhere outside the country. Sad, considering this is the place that invented the design concept. I know I may be a little dramatic, but I am just so tired of NIMBYs ruining and holding back our cities, especially when some of their 'concerns' are absurd, like for example the idiot cat women; but nonetheless, they win.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 5:33 PM
World Machine

Even with the 200’ reduction the overall height will be comparable to that of the Chrysler Building. You really can’t complain that much.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 7:50 PM
Ex Houstonian

Why do NIMBY douchebags win? Do they just shout louder like glenn beck fans and draw all the attention away from the rational majority? What is their deal and how can they pull so much influence. They need to stfu and move back to the banal suburbs if they dont like skyscrapers. I bet the designers of these buildings though purposefully set them above what they think the final design will be due to nimbys. IE, they probably knew from the start that it was going to have to be shorter than what they planned.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 8:00 PM
World Machine

A lot of broken records all of a sudden….. seriously, as disappointing as this is let’s not turn this thread into a negative rant. Nothing will be solved.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 9:49 PM
Still cyber-converted fka

Crap that it had to be compromised, though 1050 ft is still nothing to sneeze at.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 11:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Crap that it had to be compromised, though 1050 ft is still nothing to sneeze at.
It's still a tall building, one that is now more background to the Empire State - and BofA towers, sort of an iconic twin for the Chrysler Building. I think what's more disturbing to people is the reasoning for the 200 ft drop. Consider how easily other proposals can move on the skyline...

Being a residential tower, this one has a grace most of the other towers can not have.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 1:32 AM
Ω

sad. but expected.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 3:51 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

The tower loses roughly the top 6 floors, which may not seem like a lot of space, but considering the tapered form the tower has to take,
it will lead to more reduction in the lower floors...
What makes everyone think it's going to stay tapered, look at the original 1089 design, it had a slightly slanted roof.

I still don't see how they can't work out a height compromise. It's shocking and sad that there is such a lack of reason within these people.

Not only is this bad news for Tower Verre, but Imagine what will happen to all of the westside towers.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 4:32 AM
DENNAB

According to Wired New York, the Manhattan Borough President supports the 1,250 foot tower. He probably has a decent amount of say yet i don't know what kind of priority is is for him and if it's likely to change.

At least it seems that there still might be a fighting change for a taller building?

Is it just me or is it possible that the final design could end up more than 1050? I'm not trying to be too optomistic, since this is New York, but still..

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 1:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
What makes everyone think it's going to stay tapered, look at the original 1089 design, it had a slightly slanted roof.
Pay better attention. It's one of the conditions of approval.

Quote:
Planners like the design of the rest of the building so much that they made their approval contingent on the developer keeping the same "tapering, sculpted form and unique, asymmetrical" wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan
Not only is this bad news for Tower Verre, but Imagine what will happen to all of the westside towers.
Nothing will happen to those towers other that what the developers will do. The zoning for those sites was completed and approved a few years ago. The reason the CPC has to approval this tower is because the developer needs special permits.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 2:16 PM
"Think about the Future"

I think the city is just of afraid of this tower competing with the ESB in Midtown for dominance. Never be afraid people, always push ahead and forward for progress.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 8:35 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Pay better attention. It's one of the conditions of approval.

Nothing will happen to those towers other that what the developers will do. The zoning for those sites was completed and approved a few years ago. The reason the CPC has to approval this tower is because the developer needs special permits.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, those towers are closer to empire state and would surely "invade" it's airspace more than this ever would. How could they be allowed and this not? Why can't we have someone with at least half a brain on the city comission, is that really too much to ask?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 9:21 PM
JoeCooper

I don't think this is it, I think dumbshit, whatever the hell her name is, started something that's going to end up coming back to haunt her. I don't think that whether it be the developer or others are just going to automatically bend down and grab their ankles just on account of what the dumbest person in the city has to say about it. Bottom line, there will be retaliation, if not now, somewhere down the road...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 9:32 PM
DENNAB

She definitely deserves to be called out on butchering nouvels tower for sure, just who will do it? who can do it?

The manhattan borough president might be able too but would he really care enough about building a taller building to actually say anything? Who knows, time will tell

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 12:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The manhattan borough president might be able too but would he really care enough about building a taller building to actually say anything? Who knows, time will tell
The Manhattan borough president already gave his conditional approval before it got to City Planning. It's now on to the city council, let's hope they don't butcher this thing any further.

Here's the process in its entirety...
http://nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/luproc/ulpro.shtml

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 1:40 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
The Manhattan borough president already gave his conditional approval before it got to City Planning. It's now on to the city council, let's hope they don't butcher this thing any further.

Here's the process in its entirety...
http://nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/luproc/ulpro.shtml

Do they have a reputation of butchering things like this? I take it from what you just said it's not probable that they could overrule Burden's decision.

It would be really sad to see this tower get chopped down to say 800 feet or so, I mean you can't really complain about another big building but I think the hopes were too high for a 1,250 footer. I still don't get why he can't just redesign the top.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:25 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

This just disgusts me.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 12:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Do they have a reputation of butchering things like this? I take it from what you just said it's not probable that they could overrule Burden's decision.
Well, they made sure to put caps on some of those Hudson Yards sites that didn't have caps, meaning those towers could have been as large and as tall as the developers wanted. When the City Council makes changes, it goes back to the CPC. That was the case with the Hudson Yards zoning and the so called "four points" towers. Two of those towers we now know as the Girasole and the World Product Center.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 4:08 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Well, they made sure to put caps on some of those Hudson Yards sites that didn't have caps, meaning those towers could have been as large and as tall as the developers wanted. When the City Council makes changes, it goes back to the CPC. That was the case with the Hudson Yards zoning and the so called "four points" towers. Two of those towers we now know as the Girasole and the World Product Center.

So basically you're saying that there is an unspoken 1000 foot height limit for those sights, and really for all of midtown manhattan. I don't think anyone can argue that. That's bad news for the 1,200 footers that were planned there.

Well best of luck Tower Verre, don't end up shorter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive