HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 6:09 AM

Mickey Cohen Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
LA mobster Mickey Cohen feared for his life. His armored Cadillac had thick glass with many layers. The far left window appears to have 4 layers. That should work.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3z3A-1cQK...ohenscadix.jpg

Thanks, CityBoyDoug, for these interesting photos of Mickey Cohen's bulletproof Cadillac.

A footnote to the Mickey Cohen saga: my pal Richard Lamparski interviewed Cohen and asked him if the four years he spent in solitary were the worst part of his prison experience. He replied, "No, the most degrading part of jail for me was having to be close to homosexuals and other degenerate elements."

Whatever, Mickey.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 6:22 AM

Photobucket

This is disturbing to say the least. Flyingwedge, I was able to see at least one of your pictures by right clicking the "not found" cat graphic in your post and opening it in a new tab, I see your picture (along with annoying ads). I will try this method for other missing photos and see if it works...

Edit: I can see HossC's pictures this way too, crossing my fingers that all of those can be recovered with screenshots (and a new host?)

Last edited by Lorendoc; Feb 15, 2018 at 6:45 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Thanks, CityBoyDoug, for these interesting photos of Mickey Cohen's bulletproof Cadillac.

A footnote to the Mickey Cohen saga: my pal Richard Lamparski interviewed Cohen and asked him if the four years he spent in solitary were the worst part of his prison experience. He replied, "No, the most degrading part of jail for me was having to be close to homosexuals and other degenerate elements."

Whatever, Mickey.
I guess that bunking with serial mass murderers, rapists and blood thirsty killers didn't bother him. Most inmates, at least the vast majority [99%], in prison, think that they have done nothing wrong or were a victim of a case of a miscarriage of Justice.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 15, 2018 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 6:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
This is disturbing to say the least. Flyingwedge, I was able to see at least one of your pictures by right clicking the "not found" cat graphic in your post and opening it in a new tab, I see your picture (along with annoying ads). I will try this method for other missing photos and see if it works...

Edit: I can see HossC's pictures this way too, crossing my fingers that all of those can be recovered with screenshots (and a new host?)
Photobucket completely lied to several millions of their members. They begged people to post pics on their site so that you could link them to websites [they even showed you how to do that]. Now PB says that you have to pay them $400 a year to link. PB is a very nefarious organization. A look around the Internet will reveal that PB has totality damaged thousands of websites...including this one.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 15, 2018 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 9:53 PM

My images from yesterday seem to be showing again. I received a reply to my email a couple of hours ago saying that a problem had been identified and fixed. Still, with an estimated one billion less images to host, you'd have thought that they should be able to handle the ones they have left!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:33 AM

'mystery' location

SANTA MONICA 1949

I haven't been able to figure out where the man with the camera is standing.

ssilberman / flickr

Does this grassy dell area look familiar to anyone? (it's no doubt filled with houses now )

that said...the buildings in the distance are probably the best clues (the middle bldg reminds me somewhat of Cedar Sinai Hospital) -how I remember it from the 1980s

Would you like a closer look at the buildings?

OK then, here you go.

detail

Any help?

I didn't think so.
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 16, 2018 at 2:05 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:59 AM

'mystery' location #2

"1962 LOS ANGELES aerial view vintage 35mm slide"

EBAY

I don't have the foggiest....

__

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:29 AM

Not a mystery, but interesting none-the-less.

"1950 Compton CA classic cars post office vintage 35mm slide"

EBAY

I hope I am wrong, but I don't believe this fine looking post office is still standing. (not sure what r.r. tracks those are)

Today, the Compton Post Office is located at 701 S Santa Fe Ave.

and looks like this....
gsv

tsk...tsk
__

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorAtomic View Post
Wow, thank you for that!!! Such clear aerials! I also see that there is another grand house directly across the street that is no longer there. Wish I had a time machine.
I believe the grand house you are referring to is that of Charles Beach Boothe, who according to Jane Apostol's book on the history of South Pasadena, was "a successful businessman and financial counselor" and was also "a secret agent in an international conspiracy with the code name 'Red Dragon.' Its purpose was to finance Sun Yat-sen in his efforts to overthrow the Ch'ing Dynasty and establish a Republic of China." The mansion/estate was located at 1515 Garfield Avenue. Sun Yat-sen reportedly spent several weeks at the mansion in 1910. Boothe died in 1913. In the 1940s, the Oneonta Congregational Church bought his estate, and in 1950 opened a new church building on the site.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

EBAY

I hope I am wrong, but I don't believe this fine looking post office is still standing.

and looks like this....
gsv

tsk...tsk...tsk

__
Actually ethereal, that old post office still does exist, at 101 S. Willowbrook Avenue, in the Compton Civic Center:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8956...2!8i6656?hl=en

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:10 AM

Quote:

EBAY

(not sure what r.r. tracks those are)

__
PE Long Beach Line (now Metro Blue Line), e-r.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:23 AM

Quote:
'mystery' location

SANTA MONICA 1949

ssilberman / flickr

Does this grassy dell area look familiar to anyone? (it's no doubt filled with houses now )

that said...the buildings in the distance are probably the best clues (the middle bldg reminds me somewhat of Cedar Sinai Hospital) -how I remember it from the 1980s

Would you like a closer look at the buildings?

OK then, here you go.

detail

Any help?

I didn't think so.
_
I'm thinking it was taken in the area around Inspiration Point in Will Rogers State Park. The large building with the red tile roof at the bottom of the view of the city looks like the Riviera Country Club. If that's the case, no houses there now.

ETA: Ceders wasn't Ceders-Sinai then and was where the Scientology building is now in Hollywood.

Last edited by BillinGlendaleCA; Feb 16, 2018 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:36 AM

Quote:
'mystery' location

SANTA MONICA 1949

ssilberman / flickr

Does this grassy dell area look familiar to anyone?

[...]

Any help?

I didn't think so.
_
I can tell you that the plants in the foreground are young Nicotiana glauca. Does that count as help?

No?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:47 AM

Quote:

EBAY

I hope I am wrong, but I don't believe this fine looking post office is still standing. (not sure what r.r. tracks those are)

and looks like this....
gsv

tsk...tsk
__
Post offices used to be such beautiful edifices. Why WHY is it they all look like this now. There should be a law

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
This might help with the Blue Palm Cafe on the corner - 6066 Hollywood Blvd.

From a post on a Facebook group which covers the history of Hollywood Legion Stadium. The post has some more information on the cafe(s) and it's owners Hugh Nichols (Promoter/Matchmaker at the Legion Stadium) and Morrie Kaplan. So two Blue Palm Cafes with locations close to each other. Did 6124 replace 6066 circa 1950/51 or did they operate concurrently for some period?

https://www.facebook.com/HollywoodLe...17560464971345

Thanks for this matchbook photo find Noir Noir. It's the only confirmation we've had so far for the "other" Blue Palm establishment and it gives the address...6066 Hollywood Blvd. (Photo below.)

We know that the photo was taken April 15, 1940, as it's a press photo about a five minute hail storm in Hollywood. (It mentions the previous Saturday the temperature was 96°!)

This area has changed a great deal since then. The 6066 address is near the Florentine Gardens on the opposite side of the street at 5959. That's about the only building on the street near there that is still around that section. (And a pass on the Googlemobile shows it is currently painted pink & white.) This Blue Palm restaurant may have been on the corner of Hollywood and Gower. May have been. Can anyone search an aerial of this location?

What we don't know is if these two Blue Palms are connected in any way, if they were separate establishments or one replaced the other, or how long the 6066 location was around.

And thanks for the link about the Hollywood Legion Stadium. I'm aware of that place, but I never knew that it was located down El Centro in back of the 6124 Hollywood Blvd. location. I guess I've never traveled down El Centro for any reason. It had a pretty long history as a boxing arena. It closed in 1959 and became a bowling alley. It is now an L.A. Fitness center.

It has only really been mentioned in passing on NLA.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Feb 16, 2018 at 6:07 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:49 AM

Here are a few photos of the Hollywood Legion Stadium:
(all from Hollywood Photographs, except the last one)

1926: One of thestreet blade signs looks like it says El Centro.

1938:

1949:

1977:

Bowling History

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:54 AM
BANNED

http://78.media.tumblr.com/58eda0160...31yeo1_500.jpg

Ann Banks.....came to Hollywood in 1945 at age 17. She worked as a carhop waitress at Simon's Drive-In and then as a cocktail waitress, though still underage. A patron suggested she consider striptease as a profession, and arranged an audition with Follies Theater talent manager Lillian Hunt. Three weeks after being hired as a chorus dancer at $40 a week, she accepted a promotion to $60 as a stripper. Hunt said a stage name was needed:.....alas was born...Tempest Storm.

In 2018 she's 89.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:04 AM

'ello!

Thank you so much for this thread. I found it and registered on the forum last April - spending several hours each night diving deeper down the Los Angeles rabbit-hole, lol. Very enjoyable and I've learned a lot about our fair city. It has a fascinating history. I think it took me four months to come up to the latest posts.

I was born in the Valley, in Canoga Park but grew up in NorCal. I did spend a year in Los Angeles in 1983-84 and a job related six months in 2011. When I came back in 2011 they had a subway!

My Mom has various Los Angeles pictures from back in the day (late 50's early 60's) when I was a tyke; I'm not sure if she'd want them on the Internet but I hope I can contribute even if it's in a small way.

I'm about ready to start over from the beginning of the thread and save my favorite pic's.

Cheers,
Chaz

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
This Blue Palm restaurant may have been on the corner of Hollywood and Gower. May have been. Can anyone search an aerial of this location?

When I was looking on the Hollywood photographs site for the Hollywood Legion Stadium photos, I happened to see the following photo and went back to it just now:

It's a 1928 photograph of Hollywood Blvd. at Gower. It's 12 years before the Blue Palm photo. Concerning
the building on the right side of the photo...do you think it might be the same building that the Blue Palm
Cafe is located in?

The same type of palm tree, 12 years smaller, is in the right location. The same kind of phone pole and
streetlight on the corner in the right position. Same kind of boxy windows in the front. What is your opinion?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:35 AM

Quote:
'mystery' location #2

"1962 LOS ANGELES aerial view vintage 35mm slide"

EBAY

I don't have the foggiest....

__
I'm gonna say this is the Harbor Freeway with SW at the top; the divided street with the turn pockets is Broadway a few blocks below its divide at 92th St. The street that runs along the top edge of the photo is S Fig. The pedestrian bridge over the freeway is (was?) at 110th St. There have been considerable changes in the road configuration along this stretch due to the construction of the 105 and the carpool lanes.

In case of stupidity on my part, I reserve the right to delete this post

Last edited by Lorendoc; Feb 16, 2018 at 8:40 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos