HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 9:37 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's worrisome that Kelly is talking about putting the stadium out in Burnside and I doubt that Shannon Park would work for 2015 given the fact that it is federally owned.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 9:52 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's worrisome that Kelly is talking about putting the stadium out in Burnside and I doubt that Shannon Park would work for 2015 given the fact that it is federally owned.
I think its all about time constraints. This area is probably the path of least resistance and because we need a stadium so soon if were chosen as a host city, then I can see why a desicion to put it there might be made.

To put a stadium in a place like the penninsula would cause far too much beaurucratic red tape and never be complete by 2015.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 9:56 PM
Honored Member

Is there any reason to rule out the Bayer's Lake/Halifax North Mainland Commons? This area would likely be more acceptable to SMU and Dalhousie University. The Washmill Lake Underpass makes this area even more attractive.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 11:47 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Tonight the way things are going at home, it wouldn't matter where they built the thing to me. It's needed no matter what. If transit is good and there's more than one road to the parking then go for it. I don't mind traveling.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 11:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
I think its all about time constraints. This area is probably the path of least resistance and because we need a stadium so soon if were chosen as a host city, then I can see why a desicion to put it there might be made.

To put a stadium in a place like the penninsula would cause far too much beaurucratic red tape and never be complete by 2015.
Sure, but does this make sense?

Suddenly we're willing to have an expensive stadium in a less than ideal location for decades because of an event nobody even know about a few months ago?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 4:01 PM

I'm starting to really get on board with a Dartmouth Crossing location for the new stadium. There is no doubt public transit to DC will be improved. Existing restaurants and sports bars like Boston Pizza are already there.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 4:03 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimeCFLFan View Post
I'm starting to really get on board with a Dartmouth Crossing location for the new stadium. There is no doubt public transit to DC will be improved. Existing restaurants and sports bars like Boston Pizza are already there.
Places like Wal-Mart & Costco could hold tailgate parties.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 5:00 PM
Closed account

account deleted

Last edited by brettinhalifax; Mar 8, 2011 at 4:16 AM. Reason: account deleted

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettinhalifax View Post
Suddenly? There has been talk of building a stadium in Halifax for decades. That's not suddenly.

Less than ideal location? You're implying that there is an ideal location. So, is there an ideal location in Halifax? Don't they all have drawbacks? IMO the choice we have is to build a stadium at less than ideal location #1 or less than ideal location #2.

I agree 100%. There is never an ideal location for a stadium. Everyone always has an opinion of why a stadium should be in Area A vs. Area B and so on. The discussions on this thread have proven that even in a city the size of Halifax, there are multiple locations that can work, and no location that is perfect. Considering time constraints and budgetary issues, it is probably going to come down to either Mainland Commons or Dartmouth Crossing. I would be happy with either one.

Just out of curiosity someone123, what is you ideal location and why?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 6:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There's a big difference between declaring that maybe a stadium might be built one day and actually settling questions about location, design, etc.

A good location would fit in with longer-term planning objectives and would be convenient for a variety of people. The peninsula is much better for this than Burnside or Dartmouth Crossing but is a more difficult location that takes longer to develop.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 7:04 PM
Closed account

account deleted

Last edited by brettinhalifax; Mar 8, 2011 at 4:16 AM. Reason: account deleted

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 7:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Dartmouth Crossing is one of many retail nodes in the HRM. The stadium is a unique piece of infrastructure. On top of this, Dartmouth Crossing is horrible from a planning perspective.

I think Shannon Park might also be okay, but recently they haven't been discussing it. There were also many aspects of the CWG plan that probably will not be implemented now, like a fast ferry. It's a real stretch to claim that a six year old scuttled plan demonstrates that proper planning for a stadium is in place.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Dartmouth Crossing is one of many retail nodes in the HRM. The stadium is a unique piece of infrastructure. On top of this, Dartmouth Crossing is horrible from a planning perspective.

I think Shannon Park might also be okay, but recently they haven't been discussing it. There were also many aspects of the CWG plan that probably will not be implemented now, like a fast ferry. It's a real stretch to claim that a six year old scuttled plan demonstrates that proper planning for a stadium is in place.
Correct me if I'm wrong; but what I think you were trying to get at was the from the perspective of 'ease' to get the project done (not having to deal with a lot of nimby responses) both Shannon Park and Dartmouth Crossing would probably be the easiest locations. That's what I got from it and I would agree. Peninsula would've been great if we didn't have such a nimby response; I think a number of us had several locations on the peninsula that we thought would be awesome (Fenwick's spot near the forum perhaps, which I liked).

But we have to be realistic and realize we live in a city of people against virtually everything. I wouldn't lump Exhibition Park in this mainly because it's not as well accessible in my mind; but when you think about the fact that all three sites have some negative aspects for transit - you'll still have to spend money improving the access points no matter what.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 8:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

But there hasn't even been consultation for any of these sites. Is there a recent report comparing them?

My fear is that if this process is pushed forward too quickly there will be no consideration of sites that might take a year or two to sort out. It might be worth waiting for a major piece of infrastructure like this.

I also worry that some factors like transit service will be brushed aside. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that there would be good bus service to Dartmouth Crossing. There will be a bus with poor connections and everybody will drive, encouraging yet more sprawl.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 9:06 PM

What are the negatives of it being built on the mainland commons?.. it has the land for it, other athletic complexes in place near it, retail and restuarants all close by, close to major highways, on bus routes and not to fair from the downtown core....to me this location should be the front runner

with the new pool, indoor soccer complex, baseball fields, I could see a stadium in this location to add to a growing atheltics hub for athletes in our city to train

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 9:07 PM
Closed account

account deleted

Last edited by brettinhalifax; Mar 8, 2011 at 4:14 AM. Reason: account deleted

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 9:16 PM

Quote:
But there hasn't even been consultation for any of these sites. Is there a recent report comparing them?

My fear is that if this process is pushed forward too quickly there will be no consideration of sites that might take a year or two to sort out. It might be worth waiting for a major piece of infrastructure like this.

I also worry that some factors like transit service will be brushed aside. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that there would be good bus service to Dartmouth Crossing. There will be a bus with poor connections and everybody will drive, encouraging yet more sprawl.
I think we can all agree that all things considered, we will probably see Dartmouth Crossing and Shannon Park be on the list. I doubt that anything on the Peninsula will be considered but I could be wrong. Based on the council report, 'phase 2' will involve site selection so it seems to me that the report to council is to establish a committee and the report defines that previous work has been done to use as a resource or information source.

But the way I read the report and committee terms of reference, this committee is about finding factual information about a stadium. The report also has a timeline where it talks about phase 2 being July to December 2011 which is the site selection and 'building' process (which they don't define - I would assume it means notifying FIFA that they've decided to go ahead).

So I would hope that phase 2 is where the public would have input. So perhaps we should try to come up with a list of site and pros/cons for that list, but we should include all that we suggested? So anything on the peninsula and off? So DC, Shannon Park, Exhibition Park, Military Lands adjacent to the forum and the others. That would be my suggestion.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 9:23 PM

Quote:

I think everyone agrees that if there was a big wide open spot for a stadium on the pennisula, that wasn't in the NIMBY's backyard, the pennisula would a great location for the stadium especially if it came complete with harbor views. However, I and most of the others on this thread, are at a loss in finding this location. If you know of a great spot on the pennisula that we are over looking, don't keep it to yourself. Personally I could not find a location anywhere (outside of Fenwick's spot near the Forum which still concerns me because if feel the stadium would be shoehorned in) on the pennisula that is a serious contender.

So if it is not on the pennisula, it is going to be out of town towards Mainland Commoms, Dartmouth Crossing, Exhibition Park or some other locale like Shannon Park. Any of those locations are going to have spotty bus service and most of the fans will just drive. At least Mainland Commons can run shuttles from Bayers Lake and Dartmouth Crossing can run shuttles from the new shopping center. I don't see the stadium causing either of those two locations to add parking sprawl outside of the standard on-site parking at the stadium.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 9:29 PM

I hope people understand that just because the window of opportunity is currently open, that doesn't mean it can't close again if we don't act in a timely manner. I know that we have to be thoughtful and considerate of as many factors as possible, but it is clear to me that the issue has come up this time because of a confluence of favorable conditions: Local, regional, national and international. If we don't strike while the iron is hot it will be our own fault for letting the chance go away.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedWilliamsHead View Post
What are the negatives of it being built on the mainland commons?.. it has the land for it, other athletic complexes in place near it, retail and restuarants all close by, close to major highways, on bus routes and not to fair from the downtown core....to me this location should be the front runner

with the new pool, indoor soccer complex, baseball fields, I could see a stadium in this location to add to a growing atheltics hub for athletes in our city to train
As long as they add a connector road to Regency Park Drive/Main Avenue and widen it to a proper 4-lane, I think it would be a great location. It would be great to have two different main entrance/exit routes instead of everyone dumping out onto Lacewood after a game.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment