HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:28 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Yup, Montreal gets out for every big event, without fail.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:30 PM

^ Seems to me that Montrealers know when someone is trying to screw them

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 4:44 PM

Or what about this years CFL's home opener in Montreal s more than 3,000 fans short of a sellout.

No city is perfect.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 8:01 PM

I don't know... living near the Twin Cities I think it is just as much of a big event city as Montreal. Pretty similar populations bases as well.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 8:18 PM
ハルウララ

Montreal is a big event city but only if the event is international in nature with limited Canadian involvement. There's a reason why Montreal very rarely ever hosts Canadian national championships in sports like figure skating, curling, or hockey despite producing talent in all of them. The recent attendance issues with the World Juniors in Montreal/Toronto were a combination of ticket prices and general apathy towards the event in the two cities.

Weirdly, the only sport this doesn't ring true for is speed skating.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 9:03 PM

Yep for figure skating. They are getting the World Championships in 2020. But no National Championships in forever, it seems.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:43 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Yup, Montreal gets out for every big event, without fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Or what about this years CFL's home opener in Montreal s more than 3,000 fans short of a sellout.

No city is perfect.
BIG events... the World Juniors U20 Hockey Championships or CFL are not big events. Nobody cares about them outside of the country.

Big events means people from all over the World watching.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:48 AM
Go Chiefs!

Shapovalov won his second qualifying match in 2 sets. Needs 1 more win to qualify for the US open.

Felix Auger Aliassime lost to Stakhovsky, a player in the top 100 (ex top 40 player) so it was another experience to add to his resume for the 17 years old kid.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
BIG events... the World Juniors U20 Hockey Championships or CFL are not big events. Nobody cares about them outside of the country.

Big events means people from all over the World watching.
Generally speaking Montreal goes for "international" stuff or "Quebec" stuff. Not so much Canada-only stuff you're right.

In the case of sports though there isn't much Quebec-specific stuff, contrary to other types of events.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:05 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
BIG events... the World Juniors U20 Hockey Championships or CFL are not big events
World Juniors is consistently one of the biggest international events of the year when hosted in Canada. You're shifting goalposts over what a big event is.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
World Juniors is consistently one of the biggest international events of the year when hosted in Canada. You're shifting goalposts over what a big event is.
I think what he means is that even though there are participants from around the world, it's really only a major spectator event in Canada.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think what he means is that even though there are participants from around the world, it's really only a major spectator event in Canada.
Yeah, even in many of the countries that send teams to the WJC year in, year out, it's not that big a deal. Though my sense is that it's gaining in popularity in places like Finland and Sweden.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:42 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The original post cited Montreal as the "best event city in the world". Despite whether or not people in Latvia watch the event Canadians still come out in the hundreds of thousands for U20s over New Year's along with those traveling from abroad. That's a big event, and it's still international in nature. My contention is that Montreal typically turns out for these events but not for Canadian National events, many of which aren't even hosted in Montreal anyway (Brier, Skate Canada, etc.)

Acajack is correct when he says that Montrealers don't come out for things that are Canadian. It's absolutely true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack
Yeah, even in many of the countries that send teams to the WJC year in, year out, it's not that big a deal. Though my sense is that it's gaining in popularity in places like Finland and Sweden.
It's become noticeably more popular in Sweden/Finland in the past five years.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 7:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Acajack is correct when he says that Montrealers don't come out for things that are Canadian. It's absolutely true.

They will get behind "Canadian" stuff if there is a strong enough Quebec angle to it, though.

For example, a few years ago they held the Vanier Cup in Montreal and they packed Molson Stadium with close to 25,000 fans.

Of course, the U de M Carabins were playing in the game, so...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 7:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

It's become noticeably more popular in Sweden/Finland in the past five years.
I admit to sometimes checking out the sports pages on Swedish and Finnish websites during the WJCs. Yeah, there is definitely fairly visible coverage of the WJCs there, especially if the national team is doing well. I suppose one factor is that the Christmas holidays are a slow sports time for them like it is for us.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 1:02 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I admit to sometimes checking out the sports pages on Swedish and Finnish websites during the WJCs. Yeah, there is definitely fairly visible coverage of the WJCs there, especially if the national team is doing well. I suppose one factor is that the Christmas holidays are a slow sports time for them like it is for us.
Indeed.

2014:
The final had about a million viewers in Finland, and the broadcast peaked at 1.3 million.

In host nation Sweden, the gold medal game drew 1,564,000 on average, peaking at two million, an impressive number on a country of approximately nine million people.[iihf.com]

2017:
Almost 2.5 million Finns aged 10 and older saw at least part of Tuesday’s 4-3 overtime win by the host country over Russia in Helsinki. That is nearly half of the country’s 5.5 million people and, on a per-capita basis, beats the highest rating ever achieved in Canada for a hockey game.

“The ratings in both Finland and Sweden were fantastic, and averaged 1.3 million viewers with games involving their respective national teams, and that is without counting the bronze and gold medal games."

The quarter-final game last Saturday, when the Finns beat Canada 6-5, was the No. 1 program for the week. It drew an average audience of 1,132,000 in Finland. The other three games in the top 10 all featured Finland, but two other preliminary-round games cracked the top 40 programs for the week – Canada versus Sweden (406,000 viewers) and the United States versus the Czechs (369,000).[G&M]

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 5:13 AM
Go Chiefs!

Congrats to Denis Shapovalov who followed up his great week in Montreal with a qualification to US Open's main draw. More points in the bank for him.

He will play another youngster (21 years old) Danill Medvedev ranked 53rd. It won't be easy but the possibility of him winning his first Grand Slam main draw match is real.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 10:17 AM

Brooke Henderson’s big drive to stardom

The 19-year-old golfer from Smiths Falls, Ont. is taking the LPGA tour by storm, accruing millions of dollars in winnings and sponsorship deals on her way to becoming one of Canada’s most marketable athletes
Rachel Brady The Globe and Mail August 22 2017

Fresh off an appearance at the Manulife LPGA Classic in Cambridge, Ont., Henderson joined a number of other high-profile Canadian athletes, including the NBA’s Andrew Wiggins, left, NHL player Tyler Seguin, right, and Olympic gymnast Rosie MacLennan at York University for a BioSteel commercial shoot. Fred Lum/The Globe and Mail

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 1:49 AM

Henderson roars back into contention
Bob Weeks TSN August 26 2017

OTTAWA – After barely making the cut on Friday, Brooke Henderson said it might take a small miracle for her to get back into the CP Canadian Women’s Open.

Apparently miracles do happen.

The 19-year-old who it seemed would be a bit player in the national championship after finishing the first 36 holes in one over par, fired a course-record 63 on Saturday to vault herself up the leaderboard and into contention. She sits three shots back of the lead held jointly by Mo Martin and Nicole Broch Larsen.

“I felt like I could make something happen,” said Henderson, beaming after her spectacular round, “and I made putts that I didn't even know I could make, and I made shots that were just great.”

After two rounds in which she appeared a bit tense and a tad anxious, the real Brooke Henderson showed up to the Ottawa Hunt on Saturday. She was relaxed, smiling and high-fiving kids between tees and greens. She was also looking a lot more like the 10th-ranked player in the world, seemingly more confident with her shot-making, more aggressive in her lines. And the putter that had been so balky through 36 holes caught fire in the third round. She used just 25 putts, seven less than she took on the opening day.

This was the golfer the massive galleries hoped to see on Thursday and Friday. Freed up by making the cut, she was finally able to get her game into the proper gear.

“[That] kind of gave me a little bit of a scare yesterday,” she said, “being so close and almost not even playing the weekend. So I knew I had to get going. Today is moving day, -- I moved, that's for sure.”

Indeed she did. Henderson posted eight birdies divided equally between the front and back nines. Her only real slip on the day came on the 16th where she ran her first put well past and had 12 feet for par. She calmly put that in the centre of the cup.

She followed that up with birdies on the final two holes. The first by hitting her tee shot tight on the par-3 17th and the second by dropping a slippery 15-footer on the last hole, which she punctuated with a fist pump as the gallery roared.

“Really it was just like the perfect day,” said Henderson. “Hopefully tomorrow I can match it and it will be a little better.”

The Ottawa Hunt Club member finished her round more than an hour before the leaders teed off, starting in a tie for 59th spot and finishing off solo second. By the end of the day, she was tied for sixth with five other players. Henderson was already imagining what the crowds, which will smash attendance records here this week, would be like.

“Crazy, crazy,” she stated. “But I'm super excited for it. Hopefully it does live up to the expectation, and hopefully I can play well enough to keep their interest and see what happens.”

If she somehow manages to pull off a victory, which would be the first by a Canadian in this tournament since 1973, it might not be a miracle, but it certainly would be miraculous.

Although with Brooke Henderson, it’s what we’ve come to expect.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 1:40 PM

Canadian women's team tops Australia to finish 5th at World Cup
The Canadian Press August 26/2017

BELFAST, Ireland — Julianne Zussman and Elissa Alarie scored two tries apiece to lift Canada to a 43-12 victory over Australia on Saturday, and a fifth-place finish at the Women's Rugby World Cup.

Canada missed the Cup semifinals, but ended the tournament with just one loss against finalist and No. 1-ranked New Zealand.

"That was a fun one to play," captain Kelly Russell said. "We want to play with high tempo. We want to use the width of the field and use our speed and we did that today. Australia played really hard and gave us a hard time in those breakdowns, but I'm so proud of the girls and the effort they put out there.

"The heart was amazing all throughout the tournament."

Russell, Amanda Thornborough, and Karen Paquin all scored tries, while Brianna Miller and Andrea Burk connected on two conversions apiece.

Canada came into the tournament ranked third in the world and finished runner-up to England in the 2014 World Cup.

The Canadians roared out to 98-0 rout of Hong Kong in their opening game, and followed it up with a 15-0 victory over Wales. But their hopes of a second straight World Cup medal were dashed after ending the preliminary round with a 48-5 loss to powerhouse New Zealand.

Saturday's game marked the final match with head coach Francois Ratier at the helm. Ratier took over as head coach in 2013, leading Canada into each of the last two World Cups.

"Francois has been amazing for women's rugby in Canada, building us to where we are," Russel said. "I'm also just so proud to play with every one of these girls and the support from the Canadians here and back home has been absolutely amazing."

Alarie finished the tournament with six tries, tying Magalie Harvey for the team lead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada