HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 6:23 AM

Is it because there's not enough seating that people are resorting to sitting on the vents?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 8:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Is it because there's not enough seating that people are resorting to sitting on the vents?
It's not that. People don't go to an observation deck to sit down, they go to see the view. When people sit on those vents, it's not to get the view, which is behind them. The people who wanted to sit were already done taking in the view, and were blocking it for everyone else. If it's a place to sit down and lounge away the time, they can go to the cafe or just leave the building entirely. The observation deck is to enjoy the view.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 2:33 PM
Ascension

Clever way to prevent people from sitting on the vents.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 6:57 AM
Crane Goddess

I'm going to piss a few people off perhaps, but Oh Well..

One thing I like about 30 Rock is that it's got plenty of benches inside and out. Since I've got plantar fasciitis (which can make standing for long periods VERY painful), being able to sit down and rest for a few minutes when needed makes it much easier to spend a decent amount of time up there enjoying the view and taking pictures. On the other hand, I've learned the hard way that visiting the Empire State building in the evenings after I've been walking around all day is a hella bad idea- when your feet are killing you and there's no place to sit and rest, even for a few minutes, you don't want to stick around long, you just want to get out.

The difference between the two is that I recommend Top of the Rock to people traveling with kids, seniors, people with mobility issues, and so on. If they need a little rest while enjoying the view, there's lots of space to get it.
I'm okay with One WTC discouraging people from sitting on the HVAC units around the perimeter, because I did notice a lot of people just hanging around the windows playing with their phones and such. I do hope they put in a few more benches elsewhere though, so people who really need a little rest but aren't ready to call it quits can get it.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 2:46 PM

Those bulky and unsightly vents are inappropriately placed, too. I don't remember the original WTC observation had that.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 12:36 PM

Great pics NYguy you captured everything, PS love the shots of Brooklyn and The Rockaways! In one shot I saw the Marine Parkway Bridge which is where sometimes I do my videos and pictures, and also it is my home area. I am planing on going back to One World Trade to do some video and picture updates when I am not busy, but in the meanwhile you made my day with your pics!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 6:27 PM

Great pics!

I'm looking forward to going to the Observation deck (some day), at least when I do go, I'll have a much better camera than the 110 I used when I made my 3 visits to the 2 WTC observation deck (all in 1976).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 12:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Now we know...

http://therealdeal.com/2016/11/23/sk...dows-of-1-wtc/

Sky-high grime: Durst can’t wash windows of 1 WTC
System used to wash skyscraper's windows is broken

November 23, 2016
By Kathryn Brenzel

Quote:
One of the most iconic modern skyscrapers in New York City hasn’t had a proper bath in a year.

A majority of the windows at One World Trade Center haven’t been washed since 2015, because the system used to suspend the washers isn’t safe, a representative for the Durst Organization told The Real Deal. Typically, a boom at the top of the building lowers a window-washing rig that moves horizontally as the boom moves along a track on the roof. But in early 2016, Durst noticed that welding in the track — where pieces of metal are joined together — was riddled with cracks. The track, built in 2013, also has undersized bolts and suffers from other design flaws, said Jordan Barowitz, a spokesperson for Durst.

“The window washing units at One World Trade Center have failed and are being replaced,” Barowitz said in a statement. The developer is in the process of finding a company that will build a new system, which is expected to cost millions of dollars (though a total price has yet to be determined).

Typically, skyscrapers will have their windows washed once or twice a year, so skipping a year isn’t quite as dramatic as it sounds. Still, until the system is replaced, 1 WTC will have to wait to wash off the grime of 2016.

1 WTC has had issues with window washing in the past. In 2014, two window washers were stranded for over an hour on a dangling scaffold at the 68th floor. At the time, the incident was attributed to a cable malfunction, and Barowitz said the issue was unrelated to the track design issues now at hand.

Luckily for tourists paying upwards of $28 to travel to the tower’s 102nd floor, the building has an auxiliary system that washes the uppermost windows, including the observatory. So, views for them will remain unsullied by whatever detritus is usually flung at 1,000-plus foot buildings.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 8:35 PM

My latest video from early today.

BY: QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOdPp67t6w

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 4:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 9:03 PM

Looking from JC at night, it seems as though more than 65% of the building is now free of those tacky construction lights. Can anyone confirm?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 2:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 3:25 AM
New Yorker for life

DECEMBER 27, 2016

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 7:31 PM
World Machine

Really happy to see so much foot-traffic throughout the site and the surroundings.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 3:48 PM

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 4:37 PM

My latest video from this morning:

BY: QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zwaYKrfqtQ

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Now we know...

http://therealdeal.com/2016/11/23/sk...dows-of-1-wtc/

Sky-high grime: Durst can’t wash windows of 1 WTC
System used to wash skyscraper's windows is broken

November 23, 2016
By Kathryn Brenzel
this i hope they solve this problem soon

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 1:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:49 AM

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 3:38 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture