HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 4:35 AM

Mr. Brownstone on Main in Mt Pleasant didn't last very long. Feel bad for the owners. Unfortunately, despite the work that went into renovating the space, it felt too safe. Almost a cafeteria type feel. Forgot the name of the new place that will be taking over, but I presume it will have more edge.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
And Tacomio is now open on Abbott Street at the other end of the building from Prado Cafe. Amazing transformation from when this used to be one of the seediest spots in the neighbourhood. I remember years ago always seeing that alley (beside Tacomio) full of addicts and dealers. Here's what it used to look like on Google street view:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.28154...rrW2RuKuOw!2e0

March 17 '15, my pics

I found some historical images of this building on Changing Vancouver:

https://changingvancouver.wordpress....stings-street/

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Mr. Brownstone on Main in Mt Pleasant didn't last very long. Feel bad for the owners. Unfortunately, despite the work that went into renovating the space, it felt too safe. Almost a cafeteria type feel. Forgot the name of the new place that will be taking over, but I presume it will have more edge.
The food was boring and uninspired compared to nearby places like Cascade Room. Hopefully the new place will make a better effort.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 7:22 PM

I walked by tacomi the other day. Agreed the transformation there is incredible. Hope to see this type of development/Reno continue east along hasrings.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 4:33 AM

Menu Mediterranean Food restaurant has opened at 604 West Hastings (just east of Victory Square) in Vancouver's downtown east side. The transformation of this block of Hastings is almost complete now. I tried to Google the name and address of this place to find out some more info but couldn't find anything.

***edit*** The correct address is actually 164 W. Hastings.

March 28 '15, my pics

Last edited by mcminsen; Mar 29, 2015 at 6:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Menu Mediterranean Food restaurant has opened at 604 West Hastings (just east of Victory Square) in Vancouver's downtown east side. The transformation of this block of Hastings is almost complete now. I tried to Google the name and address of this place to find out some more info but couldn't find anything.

March 28 '15, my pics

I've often wondered about this building. Is there some older, better building hidden under that abomination? It is one of the weirdest facades I have seen in the area. I also don't get the 604 number because that is not 600 block Hastings, East or West.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
I've often wondered about this building. Is there some older, better building hidden under that abomination? It is one of the weirdest facades I have seen in the area. I also don't get the 604 number because that is not 600 block Hastings, East or West.
Oops you're right, it certainly isn't 604 W. Hastings. I went to Google street view and saw 164 on the former business (Los Tacos Cafe). And yes, that is a weird building. At least Menu Mediterranean Food brightens it up a bit, even if the arch and pillars look a bit cheesy.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 8:57 PM

Quote:
... I also don't get the 604 number because that is not 600 block Hastings, East or West.
604=area code.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 8:48 AM

The latest is out! Do you agree?

Voted Best Chinese Restaurants in Vancouver, 2015:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/03/b...nts-vancouver/

Unfortunately for me, many of these raise an eyebrow for me... not really what I'd considered the best for the ones on the list I've tried. But I will be for sure trying out some of them!

Honestly though, lists like this are better than none at all. I've often thought that culinary talk in this city is way too Western-centric. "Ethnic restaurants" of all types are very under-represented and often misunderstood.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Honestly though, lists like this are better than none at all. I've often thought that culinary talk in this city is way too Western-centric. "Ethnic restaurants" of all types are very under-represented and often misunderstood.
Interesting, I have always found this city's culinary talk to be the exact opposite.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The food was boring and uninspired compared to nearby places like Cascade Room. Hopefully the new place will make a better effort.
It will be a new outpost of Vancouver Mega Promoter's pub concept in Kits "Colony".

Not expecting much...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 6:32 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately for me, many of these raise an eyebrow for me... not really what I'd considered the best for the ones on the list I've tried. But I will be for sure trying out some of them!

Is that Dinesty Dumpling House as in Dine Sty? Very appealing....

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Interesting, I have always found this city's culinary talk to be the exact opposite.
X2-and I like it that way.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 6:01 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:

I've tried a few of those on the list, and eat primarily Asian food while dining out. My comments:
  • Dinesty has gone downhill in the past year or so
  • I tried Dinesty tea smoked duck about a week ago and it was a terrible deep fried atrocity. I've made tea smoked duck before and it was 10x better.
  • H.K. BBQ Master is seriously amazing
  • Cattle Cafe is far better than Deer Garden
  • Peaceful is good, but there are comparable ones available, particularly in Collingwood, with lower prices and a shorter wait
  • Best "3-cup chicken" is at the Taiwanese stall in Parker Place in Richmond. Pearl Castle makes sauce that is too sweet and artificial tasting.
  • Add on best Chinese Breakfast as the place in the corner at the food court above T&T across the street from Aberdeen. Super legit $6 breakfast.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 7:14 PM

Has anyone mentioned that Central City Brewing is taking over the old Dix brewpub space on Beatty St.?

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 10:52 PM

Couple of pics by me toady of the Boston Pizza "Theatre District":

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Has anyone mentioned that Central City Brewing is taking over the old Dix brewpub space on Beatty St.?
Thanks - I don't recall hearing that. Any idea when they're planning to open?

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I haven't heard that, but fantastic news.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 4:41 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
Thanks - I don't recall hearing that. Any idea when they're planning to open?
Important detail: the space will focus on sours. Should be a cool new space, but hopefully they put together a menu that is better than their Surrey location.

http://www.insidevancouver.ca/2015/0...-dix-location/

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 12:27 AM

The main level of the Blackbird on Dusmuir is shut down for renovation. It will reopen in June as David Gunawan's (of farmers apprentice) Royal Dinette. Upstairs will remain Blackbird pub. Smart move.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining