HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 1:10 AM

Odd it works for me at work, which is using older software...

Go here.

http://www.theparksofwestbedford.ca/about-the-area.php

And at the bottom it says view as PDF

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Odd it works for me at work, which is using older software...

Go here.

http://www.theparksofwestbedford.ca/about-the-area.php

And at the bottom it says view as PDF
Thanks for the link. I've checked the site over and over again but could never find that link before. Luckily the PDF decided to work on my other computer.

Here's a nice new aerial photo of the area from this year;

To answer the question of whether the 12-storeys are approved. Yes, they are.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Oct 4, 2010 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 7:25 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Funny how the Papermill Lake section (I think owned by United Gulf?) is still undeveloped. Soon it will be surrounded by built up areas.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 5:27 PM

Here's the current look of construction in Bedford South/West. The original photo is from www.theparksofwestbedford.ca;

Red = Proposed
Yellow = Approved
Green = Under Construction
No Line (not boxed in) = completed or not proposed yet.

*Note: There should not be a yellow line between 630 Larry Uteck and the Sportsfield (green line only).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 8:41 PM

Question, how is the exchange going to hook up with the other side by bedford west? And when?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 9:33 PM

It's shown in the post I've quoted below. One end will run down to Kearney Lake Road and the other end will cul-de-sac in the lands near the quarry. I don't know about a timeframe but given how much work is left in Stonington Park I'd say a couple of years at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Sub-Area five as mentioned earlier in this thread is going through the approval stages. The area is west of the Larry Uteck Interchange and will be mainly centred on Larry Uteck Blvd West. Heres a snapshot of the proposed plan for the area;

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 10:19 PM

Last fall the plan was to have the interchange hooked up (or at least under construction) to Kearney Lake road by this summer/fall. I guess that is a little behind schedule, but I'd imagine a year from now things should be progressing.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Last fall the plan was to have the interchange hooked up (or at least under construction) to Kearney Lake road by this summer/fall. I guess that is a little behind schedule, but I'd imagine a year from now things should be progressing.
i heard a rumour that the superstore was going to be located on these lands near the interchange. Sobeys would be located on the eastern side of the interchange (larry uteck), which is under construction now.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 2:03 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That's a really impressive looking map. I used to live out near Kearney Lake Rd in the 90s when there was basically nothing out there.

I do still wish that there was better planning of these areas and that they were more contiguous development rather than a series of detached pods. This stuff is better than Hammonds Plains but there will be little or no walking to shops or kids walking to school and so on. These developments, despite being primarily multi-unit, are 100% auto-oriented. I think that if the new suburban development used about 1/2 to 1/3 as much land things would be better in most ways - fewer resources required and a better quality of life for people since a lot more money could be spent on local infrastructure.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
i heard a rumour that the superstore was going to be located on these lands near the interchange. Sobeys would be located on the eastern side of the interchange (larry uteck), which is under construction now.
That would make sense, in preliminary drawings of the area, the fifth (south west branch) of the roundabout on the Kearney Lake side dead ended at a single building with a large footprint and lots of parking.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 11:45 AM

I live in this area, any news where the new high school will be ?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALIFANIAN View Post
I live in this area, any news where the new high school will be ?
There's two schools shown on the maps. Both are on the loop road and judging by the size of the parking lot at one of them the new high school will be in Waterberry Park squeezed up between Highways 102 and 113.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2010, 4:10 PM

It was dark by the time I got this so here's a quick verbal update;

- About 2 dozen houses are under construction on and around Capstone Crescent.
- About 10 houses are completed and either inhabited or are showhomes for the builders
- Land is cleared for an extension of Gary Martin
- Work has started on the townhouses for Lasalle Court.
- The 4pad is almost complete on the outside. Should be open next month.
- Innovation Drive has been extended into the business park. No signs of buildings going up yet.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 6:55 PM

Stonington Park - October 30th, 2010

SSP Dmajackson 01's Photostream

Quote:
Stonington Park (West Bedford) - October 30th, 2010

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 2:59 AM

Burnside News has stated a second tenant for the business park might be coming soon though no name was given.

BTW the only reason I posted this was because this is my 5'000TH POST on the forum and I thought it was suitable that it would be in a Bedford thread. Now for the celebratory bananas;

:

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 9:08 PM

FALL 2010 UPDATE:

Photos taken by me (map edited by me, orgininally from www.theparksofwestbedford.ca)

Red = Proposed
Yellow = Approved
Green = Under Construction
Blue = Recently Completed

Individual house construction not considered. Residential streets coloured by progress of road construction on fronting street and most the progressed housing construction.

*Innovation Drive north of Angus Morton and all of Angus Morton Drive and Science Park Drive should not be coloured in.
** Northwood Continuing Care and Gary Martin Drive north of Innovation should not be coloured in.

Gary Martin Drive Extension:

Future Building A Site (6 Floors):

Gary Martin Drive Townhouses:

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 12:43 AM

New Bedford high school to built on preferred site
Quote:
Parents, students and community members received the news they were hoping for -- the new Bedford High School will be built on Innovation Drive.

"Innovation Drive is in the heart of the community, and will be an excellent place to build the new high school for Bedford and Hammonds Plains residents," MLA Mat Whynott said today, Dec. 14, on behalf of Education Minister Marilyn More. "The school will provide learning opportunities for Bedford and Hammonds Plains area students and families for many years.

"The community expressed that they preferred this site and with their tremendous support, I'm pleased to announce the province is ready to move forward."

Whynott was joined by HRM Mayor Peter Kelly and representatives from Halifax Regional School Board in Bedford for the announcement.

Work has been taking place so that the province would have a smooth transition into detailed design once the site was selected. The work included a design visioning session, green workshop, student workshop as well as school steering team meetings to discuss school planning philosophies. The next step is to move forward with detailed design so construction can begin.

"This inspiring educational facility is a major expression of faith in the future success of our young people," said Kelly. "I am particularly impressed that students themselves have been part of the design process."

The province's contribution to the project is about $37 million, with municipal enhancements to be determined. The school opening date will be announced when the design phase is completed. The school will be designed to house students in Grades 9 to 12.

"I'm pleased that the government has recognized the need for a new high school in Bedford and the value in locating it at this particular site," said David Finlayson, District 7 school board member. "Not only will the school be built to meet the needs of 21st century learners, it will serve the greater community as a whole."

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 3:21 AM
we built this city

$37 million eh?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 7:07 PM

^Yah its a bit pricey but I attended CPA and I can say it needs a replacement soon. The price is probably high because the new school will match schools like Halifax West in design and is being built for future growth from 1'200 right now to about 1'800 students by 2020.

New Bedford high school has a home
Province to purchase land near RIM facility for $4m
By DAVID JACKSON Provincial Reporter
Wed, Dec 15 - 7:11 AM

Quote:
The province will spend $4 million to buy a piece of land for Bedford’s new high school.

The Dexter government announced Tuesday that the school will be built on Innovation Drive, close to the Research in Motion facility. The spot was the preferred location of the local site selection committee.

The province will spend $37 million on the school, including the land purchase. The property is eight hectares and is currently owned by West Bedford Holdings Ltd., a partnership of Clayton Developments and Cresco.

Halifax Regional Municipality may also fund enhancements.

The school, first announced in April 2009 prior to the provincial election, will be designed for students in grades 9-12. It will replace Charles P. Allen High School.

When announced, the Bedford school had been expected to open in 2012, but Education Department spokesman Glenn Friel said the current estimate is September 2013.

Elaine Loney, chairwoman of the Charles P. Allen school advisory committee, said the location of the new school is good news, and now the work continues on ensuring it will be the right size.

While many schools in the province are seeing enrolments drop, the new Bedford school is projected to see the number of students grow.

Charles P. Allen has about 1,200 students this year. Before the new school was announced last year, a report from the Halifax regional school board projected Charles P. Allen would have 1,454 students in 2013-14, increasing to 1,705 five years later. That projection was for grades 10-12.

Loney said the latest design for the new school doesn’t appear to be big enough.

"We’d like to see additional classrooms from the present design, and that’s really going to be important to protect our laboratory space and future growth," she said.

Friel said detailed design work can begin now that the site has been chosen, and community members will be able to work closely with the school board on that process.

West Bedford Holdings had announced a major development for the area last year. It’s planned to be a 526-hectare project spanning over 25 years that could be home to about 18,000 people.

( djackson@herald.ca )

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 9:26 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^Yah its a bit pricey but I attended CPA and I can say it needs a replacement soon. The price is probably high because the new school will match schools like Halifax West in design and is being built for future growth from 1'200 right now to about 1'800 students by 2020.
Hey, I'm not against it... it just makes the financial arguments against the trade centre look silly.

Schools are important, so are trade centres... its pretty rediculous that nobody bats an eye at this kind of money in the context of one school in Bedford. This school costs about as much as the province's contribution to the nova centre and will definitely not serve as many of the population of NS, plus the age cohort in schools is the smallest in many many years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs