HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 1:52 AM
You never sausage a place

Hartford is awesome. You've gotta love the LOB, the Capitol and that building in Constitution Plaza that is so narrow in the middle. Its bus system is very extensive and it even has a suburban commuter bus network. I would think by far it's the smallest city in the U.S. with people commuting from the suburbs by express bus.

You can't blame people for leaving for suburbs since crime is out of control, but maybe they regret it just a bit when they're stuck in traffic on I-84 (except the ones coming from East of the River where they somehow got an HOV lane). Maybe the smallest metro area in the US that has an HOV lane??

Something needs to be done about the North End - so much crime!!

You also missed out on some architectural landmarks like Hartford Seminary and that Orthodox church with the dome that you can see from the freeway. I don't remember what it's called.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQturkey View Post
She's looking very good these days. I lived in Rocky Hill for a half year back in 2000 and Hartford was quite different downtown, then. I had so much fun there, though. Thanks for the photos!
Wow...small world..most of my family now lives in Wethersfield right next to Rocky Hill

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 6:20 AM

nice job!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 6:27 AM
robert die katze

Hartford is hot.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildCTPlace View Post
Hartford is awesome. You've gotta love the LOB, the Capitol and that building in Constitution Plaza that is so narrow in the middle. Its bus system is very extensive and it even has a suburban commuter bus network. I would think by far it's the smallest city in the U.S. with people commuting from the suburbs by express bus.
Hartford's bus system is quite extensive and goes all over Metro Hartford but the problem is it not used by everyone...Greater Hartford is sadly a very car dominated society.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 8:25 PM

Nice photos, we really don't get to see much of this city aorund here. I've been to Hartford once on a day trip while on vacation in NYC. I didn't get downtown, but was close enough to be impressed with the skyline. It was quite large for a city its size, and thats what impressed me.

Even though I have no connection to tie me to this city for some odd reason I have this love affair with her. I associate it with the other new england cities of Providence and Boston but a smaller version full of rich history and beautiful architecture. Its in a beautiful setting, and I'm glad to hear things are looking up for the city. Hopefully I'll get a chance to visit again and see more the next time. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Nice photos, we really don't get to see much of this city aorund here. I've been to Hartford once on a day trip while on vacation in NYC. I didn't get downtown, but was close enough to be impressed with the skyline. It was quite large for a city its size, and thats what impressed me.

Even though I have no connection to tie me to this city for some odd reason I have this love affair with her. I associate it with the other new england cities of Providence and Boston but a smaller version full of rich history and beautiful architecture. Its in a beautiful setting, and I'm glad to hear things are looking up for the city. Hopefully I'll get a chance to visit again and see more the next time. Thanks for sharing.
This is great to hear!!! I myself love Hartford and quite honestly dont care what all the naysayers say. Just today I took a ride downtown and downtown was hopping because the big UCONN vs Tenn game was at the civic center. There was not a parking space to be found and every restaurant, bar and store was filled. As I write this I'll be heading back downtown for dinner and will probably see the city abuzz again as the game gets out and die hard UCONN fans frequent their downtown.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 8:48 AM
Go Leafs Go

Hartford needs the Whalers! We should all pitch in and buy the Penguins and move them to the "Civic Centre"

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafer View Post
Hartford needs the Whalers! We should all pitch in and buy the Penguins and move them to the "Civic Centre"
Haha...there actually are a number of state and local officals (including the mayor) as well as private investors who want to bring major league sports back to Hartford (including hockey) which would all be played in hopefully a new arena.

There are a number of groups with differant plans one of which includes downtowns largest property owner who would like to with the help of the state construct a brand new arena and bring a team to the city.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 12:12 AM

Thank you, I've never seen Hartford before

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 4:32 PM

Wadsworth Atheneum along Main Street - the oldest public art museum in the country

Jefferson & Main Street in SoDo

Church St and Trumbull Street looking towards the G Fox Building on Main Street...and the police presence in the picture is because of a UCONN game at the civic center

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 4:12 AM
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctman987 View Post
Haha...there actually are a number of state and local officals (including the mayor) as well as private investors who want to bring major league sports back to Hartford (including hockey) which would all be played in hopefully a new arena.

There are a number of groups with differant plans one of which includes downtowns largest property owner who would like to with the help of the state construct a brand new arena and bring a team to the city.
You've got to admit, nothing brings attention to a community like a sports team. I didn't even know what downtown Hartford looked like until I read this thread. I realize Hartford is stuck in between Boston and New York and it would be vying for that market share, but I think it would have a strong enough population base to support major league sports.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafer View Post
You've got to admit, nothing brings attention to a community like a sports team. I didn't even know what downtown Hartford looked like until I read this thread. I realize Hartford is stuck in between Boston and New York and it would be vying for that market share, but I think it would have a strong enough population base to support major league sports.
Hartford is one of the hottest markets ready for a new major league sports team.

Currently there are three proposals regarding what to do with the current Hartford Civic Center in downtown Hartford. The civic center was the home of the Hartford Whalers and is now the home of the AHL Hartford Wolfpack as well as the home away from home of the UCONN basketball teams. The center is currently operated by Madison Square Garden CT.

The plans come from people like the former owner of the Hartford Whalers and also from a real estate developer who is the largest property owner downtown. They have differant plans but want to work on improving the current AHL Wolfpack and then purchasing a team.

The developer also wants a new stadium of which he would contribute some of his money towards a new stadium.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 6:50 PM

The former Roo Bar on Farmington Avenue which was saved from demolition and will soon be renovated back into a restaurant

Prospect & Grove Street downtown by additional offices for St Paul Travelers

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos