HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 12:10 AM
Redi-Floors, Inc.

Atlanta Project Thread III

Since the old one is well over 2,000 posts, I thought I'd start a new one.

It appears that Aqua has officially topped out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a little tree/flag waving around this week.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 12:50 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedaded View Post
Since the old one is well over 2,000 posts, I thought I'd start a new one.

It appears that Aqua has officially topped out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a little tree/flag waving around this week.
Yeah - I've been trying to figure out what's going on top of the building...it appears that something is being built to mask the HVAC system.

Also, what will that huge concrete wall look like? (The one on the back of the building, not the base). I think it would be amazing if they somehow incorporated a water feature into it, thus living up to the name Aqua.

In other news, demolition at the Palomar site is underway and they've torn down about half of the old building there.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 2:05 PM

ATLANTA'S BEST KNOWN STREET BECOMES A “GREAT STREET”

Today the Peachtree Corridor Task Force unveiled a bold new plan designed to transform the city's most well known thoroughfare into an international destination.

The Peachtree Corridor plan calls for dramatic changes to take place along more than 14 miles of roadway, from Club Drive and Peachtree Road to the north all the way down to Ft. McPherson. It also includes a “Downtown Loop” that connects Auburn and Edgewood Avenues to Peachtree in order to bring together many of Atlanta's most popular tourist attractions, including the Martin Luther King Historic Site and the BeltLine with Centennial Olympic Park, the Georgia World Congress Center, the Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coca-Cola.

One of the recommended changes would be to the name of the street itself with the plan calling for the entire stretch simply to be called “Peachtree” and extend all the way to Fort McPherson.

In addition to the name change, the plan calls for a return of streetcars to the city center for the first time in decades, wider sidewalks, bicycle lanes and new parks and public spaces featuring extensive landscaping and artwork,. It also calls for significant improvements to roads in the southern end of the project, as well as the creation of a large linear park in that area.

By the time of its completion, total capital expenditures on the project are projected to reach nearly one billion dollars and will be paid for using city, state, federal, corporate and philanthropic funds.

The Peachtree Corridor Task Force took about a year to come up with the plan. Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin unveiled the details of the report at a City Hall news conference Monday morning.

“Today, we mark the beginning of a public-private partnership that will transform Peachtree into one of the world's most dynamic and beautiful streets,” she said. “When finished, the project will link our city's people and commerce and provide a comprehensive plan for Atlanta's continued spectacular growth.”

The task force was co-chaired by Tom Bell, Chairman & CEO of Cousins Properties and Egbert Perry, Chairman & CEO of The Integral Group, and was comprised of individuals who represent constituencies along the Corridor.

“We have worked hard to bring together all elements of our community in an effort that truly represents the best in public-private partnerships,” said Mr. Bell. “We are enthusiastic about the work we've done and the recommendations we now turn over to the mayor and the city. When finished, Peachtree will serve as a magnet for our city filled with new amenities, housing opportunities and specific plans to prepare for and accommodate the inevitable growth of this vital corridor.”

Mr. Perry added, “Today marks the beginning of the effort to make this vision a reality. We look forward to the input from interested individuals as we work toward making this plan even better. We are convinced that this project will significantly improve the quality of life for our citizens, and enhance the environment for business people and commuters, while creating wonderful and memorable experiences for visitors to our great city. We are excited to bring them together in a new vision of urban life."

The task force report now goes before the public, government agencies and other interested parties for their input. A public hearing will be held on Saturday, May 5th at City Hall.

For additional details, visit www.peachtreecorridor.com.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 8:03 PM

Upscale hotel under way close to the airport

Published on: 03/26/07

A group of developers is building what it says will be an upscale hotel near Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Choice Hotels International has contracted with CQ Capital Partners to build a Cambria Suites on Best Road. The hotel will have an indoor pool, a state-of-the-art fitness center, a restaurant and lounge. The guest rooms will be 25 percent larger than standard hotel rooms and have CD/DVD players.

WHAT IMPACT WILL IT HAVE?

The developers believe the 140-room hotel will be a sophisticated stopping point for international travelers. "We are eager to open and meet the needs of Atlanta's travelers who want more from a hotel," said William Edmundson, Cambria's vice president of brand management and strategy.

WHEN WILL IT BE DONE?

The hotel is scheduled to be built by late 2008.

— Eric Stirgus

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropundit View Post
Published on: 03/26/07

A group of developers is building what it says will be an upscale hotel near Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Choice Hotels International has contracted with CQ Capital Partners to build a Cambria Suites on Best Road. The hotel will have an indoor pool, a state-of-the-art fitness center, a restaurant and lounge. The guest rooms will be 25 percent larger than standard hotel rooms and have CD/DVD players.

WHAT IMPACT WILL IT HAVE?

The developers believe the 140-room hotel will be a sophisticated stopping point for international travelers. "We are eager to open and meet the needs of Atlanta's travelers who want more from a hotel," said William Edmundson, Cambria's vice president of brand management and strategy.

WHEN WILL IT BE DONE?

The hotel is scheduled to be built by late 2008.

— Eric Stirgus

Any idea on the height or how many stories?

I'm guessing no more than 6 or 7.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 5:37 PM

I was over by Octane the other day... holy moly there's alot going on! Right there where Howell Mill splits off Marietta St, there's the new Italian grocery, then a bunch of units in a one story building that face the parking lot -- are those going to be residential or retail?

Then that old Spanish-looking building to the west: they were doing some demolition but it looked like maybe they'd be saving the facade. Anyone know what that's going to be?

So pretty much everything on the south side of Marietta St from Northside to the bridge over the tracks looks to be getting developed. Who'da thunk

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 5:53 PM

Beltline anyone?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 6:59 PM

if atl can pull off the beltline and the streetcar (heck, while i'm dreaming - throw in the Center for Civil & Human Rights and symphony hall) - the city will be forever changed - and it'll have a chance to become the great regional capital it should be.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 12:50 PM

Damn, people in this forum like to whine a lot. I think we should start a new thread just for that so the rest of us can be spared.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobe View Post
Damn, people in this forum like to whine a lot. I think we should start a new thread just for that so the rest of us can be spared.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 1:23 PM

Quote:

Hmmm...that sounds like a bit of whining in itself. How about you spare me.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoppositelock View Post
Hmmm...that sounds like a bit of whining in itself. How about you spare me.
Touche.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Well said, jobe! There seems to be no shortage of people who whine about what others build. Fortunately, there are those others who build things. May we always be blessed with the latter...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Damn, people in this forum like to whine a lot.
Define whine.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 2:12 PM

whine (n): something said that runs counter to what others think. It may sometimes be stupid or sometimes be intelligent, but it is always annoying to some people. (see "mindless boosterism").

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
whine (n): something said that runs counter to what others think. It may sometimes be stupid or sometimes be intelligent, but it is always annoying to some people. (see "mindless boosterism").

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Amusingly, your own post is somewhat whiney.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:05 PM

I also noticed on the scale model in their sales center that the openings to the parking deck are covered with what appears to be the same glass as the rest of the tower. So that's definitely different than what they did at Spire. It looks cool. Looks more like a full building on top of retail, instead of retail with parking on top and the homes on top of that.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:39 PM
Construction litigator

I wonder if Novare has considered doing anything with the large open space of roof over the retail component along 6th street. Not sure if this is possible--but that would make a great patio/outdoor area for a restaurant or nightclub, in my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:47 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVAsuperman View Post
I wonder if Novare has considered doing anything with the large open space of roof over the retail component along 6th street. Not sure if this is possible--but that would make a great patio/outdoor area for a restaurant or nightclub, in my opinion.
I bet it will serve that sort of function, but likely for resident use, not public.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta