HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Devon Energy Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 10:55 PM

The picture in the Oklahoman this morning showed that the last part of the old garage is almost gone as well. We should be down to dirt on the entire site in a week or so. They are demo'ing like there's no tomorrow!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 12:24 AM

Simulated Google Earth views of Devon Tower:

From Medical District:

From Bricktown:

Over West Downtown:

From Midtown

And from Automobile Alley

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 1:23 AM

....very cool.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 3:17 PM

how do your 3d models look so good. on my google earth they are all blurry

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 11:40 PM

Parking garage about to rise!

Lots of equipment.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 10:43 PM

You know the thing I'm most curious about is that's going to be going on at the lots you have the garage pictures from. It's so very unusual that someone would buy up all that land just around the time they announce the devon tower plans. Something's up, and no one is talking. I'm wondering if there's another tower in the plans, or if they plans tanked with the economy. Or was it simply buying up property? Seems fishy....

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
You know the thing I'm most curious about is that's going to be going on at the lots you have the garage pictures from. It's so very unusual that someone would buy up all that land just around the time they announce the devon tower plans. Something's up, and no one is talking. I'm wondering if there's another tower in the plans, or if they plans tanked with the economy. Or was it simply buying up property? Seems fishy....
this is gonna be a good one for your guys city, way to go, already looks like they get shit done round there

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 12:22 AM

Will the new parking garage have any ground floor retail space? Is this development in an area, or on a street, that they want to be pedestrian friendly or is it more car oriented?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTheArtist View Post
Will the new parking garage have any ground floor retail space? Is this development in an area, or on a street, that they want to be pedestrian friendly or is it more car oriented?
They are going for pedestrian friendly.

The garage will have retail space in the first floor and a I think a gymasium up higher somewhere. The tower site will have a 2-acre outdoor plaza lined with the retail space throughout the first floor of the podium.

Devon is also removing the earth berms around Myriad Gardens to make that park adjacent to their tower more accessible/transparent for pedestrians, part of $17 million they are spending on a much larger renovation of that 20-acre park, which is part of $150 million they are spending to streetscape and renovate all of the streets in 180 acres of the CBD largely according to the recommendations of pedestrian design expert Jeff Speck.

Devon has been very good about paying attention to the urban environment and how they can improve it- they know that to continue attracting young graduates they need to be a part of an interesting urban fabric, and they are doing all they can to push downtown OKC along that path.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 3:37 PM

They're starting to make some progress on adding the 5 floors to the west garage that Devon now owns. It's sort of weird to see a skelaton like that just sticking up.

I believe they are pretty much done removing the old columns from the ground for the old underground Galleria garage. We should see some actual work for the new tower start soon!

Construction Cam - 12-4-09

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 5:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wow and all this time I thought that only two things came out of Oklahoma (bad joke from "An Officer and a Gentlemen").

Great to have a new tallest! Congrats.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 8:29 PM

I'm sure this is very similar to when they built the Bank of America tower in Charlotte with it dwarfing all of the other downtown buildings. It will seem out of place at first but will be a defining feature of the OKC skyline just like BoA is in Charlotte.

I was at an OU football game a few weeks ago sitting with a friend in the upper deck and from there you can only see the tops of the two tallest buildings downtown (due to OU being about 20 miles from downtown and also downtown's location in a wide river valley and Norman's location in the Canadian valley). I was thinking how this tower will be clearly visible from up there since it will almost be twice as tall as the current tallest, which is pretty cool.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 9:54 PM

I had a similar experience heading to the OU/A&M game. Driving down Sooner Rd to get to Norman, I look up, and what do I see miles and miles down the road? The scoreboard. That thing is so big and bright that you can see if rom Moore!!!!

Anyway, back to Devon. I think flickr changed some settings. I couldn't copy the URL for my image anymore, which is why it's a link now. Anyone know what the deal is there? Did they just not want people using external links?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 6:16 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I'm sure this is very similar to when they built the Bank of America tower in Charlotte with it dwarfing all of the other downtown buildings. It will seem out of place at first but will be a defining feature of the OKC skyline just like BoA is in Charlotte.

I was at an OU football game a few weeks ago sitting with a friend in the upper deck and from there you can only see the tops of the two tallest buildings downtown (due to OU being about 20 miles from downtown and also downtown's location in a wide river valley and Norman's location in the Canadian valley). I was thinking how this tower will be clearly visible from up there since it will almost be twice as tall as the current tallest, which is pretty cool.
That's what I was about to say. This tower kind of puts OKC's skyline in the same place that Charlotte's was in 1992, except that for some reason it doesn't seem that out of place. Great looking building OKC.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 2:04 PM

They're moving like crazy on the parking garage. Here's a cam shot from this morning.
Construction Cam 12-8-09

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
They're moving like crazy on the parking garage. Here's a cam shot from this morning.
Construction Cam 12-8-09
It does seem to be going really fast. Devon isn't messing around one bit.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 6:38 PM

Looks like this one will be U/C soon if not already. . . can someone locally tell me if they have begun caissons for the tower portion yet? If so I'll move it to the appropriate forum. . .

Thanks in advance. . .

. . .

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Looks like this one will be U/C soon if not already. . . can someone locally tell me if they have begun caissons for the tower portion yet? If so I'll move it to the appropriate forum. . .

Thanks in advance. . .

. . .
Is that the same as secant piles? I think this picture shows those being drilled in? I'm no technician, this is based on discussion at a local forum.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 9:59 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I guess Charlotte and OKC might be similiar.

Hopefully OKC will grow its in-town neighborhoods along the grid streets as well as downtown keeps expanding. Not to go city vs city but Charlotte like Atlanta and some other southern cities seems to get real sparse and suburban quickly once one leaves the city core

Last edited by llamaorama; Dec 8, 2009 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I guess Charlotte and OKC might be similiar.

Hopefully OKC will grow its in-town neighborhoods along the grid streets as well as downtown keeps expanding. Not to go city vs city but Charlotte like Atlanta and some other southern cities seems to get real sparse and suburban quickly once one leaves the city core
OKC is similar, but has much more of a grid pattern than Atlanta or Charlotte. If MAPS passes today there will be a lot more development in the near future in and around downtown including a new convention center, urban park, and streetcar line.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive