HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 1:18 AM

These are all just drawings at this point but I believe what you're looking at is the office/industrial area.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 1:50 AM

that looks horrible

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I would normally be wary of spending $10mil on a sports museum during a budget crisis (and while other museums are denied funding), but I agree with Perdue on this one.
I used to live in South Bend, and the CFHoF was great. It still pulled in nearly 100,000 visitors a year, even though it was in a boring small city in Indiana. I think it would have much higher attendance here in Atlanta, especially with spill-over attendance from Tech games, the Chick-fil-A bowl, the SEC championship, etc.
I'm glad that there is a core group of local politicians and businesses that are supporting it and trying to make sure it comes to Atlanta. Now if only we could get some more residential up and running in that area... Post Allen Plaza would be great.
I didn't know Perdue was onboard, are you sighting new developments or new articles with that statement? If so, could you post the link?
Also, my dad lives in South Bend and I was also surprised at how many people went to the museum, because unless you're going to Notre Dame there is nothing to do in that town. Atlanta puts the museum almost center to a large number of big football programs. Plus it would not only attract football fans but sports fans in general. I could see people coming down for a basketball game but stopping into the CFHF before or after. Plus it's just another plus to attract conventions, something that could put us over the top and get us something we wouldn't have gotten without it. Also, every year people being inducted into the CFHF would fly here to accept the honor, and they would bring family and friends. It's an event hotels can count on, and while the people are here they'll check out the other attractions. It is such a freaking no brainer it physically hurts me that there hasn't been more movement on this.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
that looks horrible
I think it looks better than whats there now. Maybe it will spur development around it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 2:06 PM

echinatl, Perdue's budget includes $10mil for the museum, so I assume he must support it.
http://www.ajc.com/news/extras-in-a-...ss_news_128746
"Perdue staffers say the projects will drive needed economic development..."

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
echinatl, Perdue's budget includes $10mil for the museum, so I assume he must support it.
http://www.ajc.com/news/extras-in-a-...ss_news_128746
"Perdue staffers say the projects will drive needed economic development..."
Nice, I must have completely missed that. Thanks for the link.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:41 PM

I've found this on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYLjZ...eature=related
Have you heard about this guys ?
Probably is not going to be build anyway.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelra View Post
I've found this on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYLjZ...eature=related
Have you heard about this guys ?
Probably is not going to be build anyway.
that video was posted during the deep end of the recession
and the speaker mentioned luxury apartments not condos
so its probably a concept video to spur interest and or drum up investors
i dont see any mention of it on emporis so i doubt its gotten anywhere
also i think there is a church at that location its on in the render

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:16 AM

I think that was a deal where CRB Realty was supposed to purchase the land North of Fourth street from the Lutheran Church and develop a master plan for the lot south of Fourth street where the church sits. On their website, they were calling it Fourth Street Place.

Fourth Street Place

Quote:
Fourth Street Place is a mixed use development in Midtown, Atlanta at 4th Street and Peachtree Street. Master Planning is in conjunction with Lutheran Church of the Redeemer , adjacent property owners and the urban redevelopment known as the "Midtown Mile". The project is currently in a 1 year – 18 month planning phase with development expected to begin in 2010.

Ooops! I just realized that one was opposite the AT&T building. Never heard of that one. I wonder who the developer was.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Mar 24, 2010 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:39 PM

Oh no!

That's right on top of a wonderful Philip Shutze masterpiece!

...Not really. Although many, if not most, of Shutze's buildings are architectural masterpieces, the building there is just... meh.

Maybe it's the building's scale compared to the surrounding skyscrapers. I doubt it, though. I'm usually a big fan of mid-rise buildings, but the one there is mediocre. I think it's the flatness of the facade that bothers me. I hate flatness.

I'm not really into repetitive glass boxes, but I guess it would be more fitting more Peachtree Street in Midtown and add more life than a flat... box of meh.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 5:27 PM

"Oh no!

That's right on top of a wonderful Philip Shutze masterpiece!"

Yeah I gotta agree with you here. Even though I'm a big fan of him and Neel Reid (Atlanta's Classical Dream Team), I don't think this is his best work. It was the remodeling of a pre-existing storefront. I'm normally a big preservationist, but I'd take a loss with this building if it was replaced with more density and storefronts. I am, however, waiting to see what happens with the Neel Reid apartment building behind the Starbucks next to Viewpoint. Viewpoint was designed so that the building would be saved, and Novare was supposed to restore the building for condos, but I'm guessing the plans never panned out. Really hope it gets a second chance at life.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post

"Oh no!

That's right on top of a wonderful Philip Shutze masterpiece!"

Yeah I gotta agree with you here. Even though I'm a big fan of him and Neel Reid (Atlanta's Classical Dream Team), I don't think this is his best work. It was the remodeling of a pre-existing storefront. I'm normally a big preservationist, but I'd take a loss with this building if it was replaced with more density and storefronts. I am, however, waiting to see what happens with the Neel Reid apartment building behind the Starbucks next to Viewpoint. Viewpoint was designed so that the building would be saved, and Novare was supposed to restore the building for condos, but I'm guessing the plans never panned out. Really hope it gets a second chance at life.
I think it already has been renovated into condos, from what I read.

I'm pretty certain that it's safe.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pessimistic Observer View Post
that video was posted during the deep end of the recession
and the speaker mentioned luxury apartments not condos
so its probably a concept video to spur interest and or drum up investors
i dont see any mention of it on emporis so i doubt its gotten anywhere
also i think there is a church at that location its on in the render
I am pretty sure that video was a guy's project he did for a class. I remember discussing a couple of years ago.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 5:14 AM

Another Mid-Century Loss

Not sure what the plan for this lot is, but of the whole state capital complex this was by far my favorite building, it was the one closest to the interstate there. It was probably one of the better mid-century deco-ish buildings in the city. it used many of the same materials as the other building, lots of GA marble, but had had the long horizontal streamline eyebrows, and a really nice little lobby - I'm really sad to see it go - anyone know what is going here? It's odd now too that the big long controversial walkway the capital built from the Sloppy Floyd building to this building now just sort of ends in the air and isn't useful any longer.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 1:31 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the land will be part of the greenway that extends from the capitol to the oakland cemetery.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 1:26 PM

Well, it looks like the One Peachtree Pointe thing is going back to the bank. I always wondered what happened when these big tenants moves out to a new building, it's like musical chairs, it just leaves a hole in the old place?

One Peachtree Pointe in foreclosure

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 2:20 PM

Exclamation Actual development News

Developer plans $350M luxury hotel near High Museum
Atlanta Business Chronicle

An Atlanta developer plans to build a $350 million luxury hotel on Peachtree Street in Midtown, across from the High Museum of Art.

Alvin D. James, a veteran broadcasting industry executive, has signed an agreement to purchase the property from metro Atlanta home builder John Wieland, CEO of John Wieland Homes & Neighborhoods Inc.

James plans a 250-room, five-star hotel on the site of Wieland’s proposed One Museum Place condominium project at 1301 Peachtree St. Wieland abandoned his 23-story, $325 million, 92-unit luxury condo tower in 2007, as the metro Atlanta housing market began to falter.

James is in talks with three international hotel brands as a flag for the hotel, which he plans to open in spring 2012.

He said a European hedge fund, which he did not name, is fully funding the $350 million project.

“We are very fortunate to have project funding with the current market conditions.”

Wieland confirmed the land is under contract to James and the deal is expected to close in mid-June. Both Wieland and James declined to disclose the sales price.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Apr 10, 2010 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 2:31 PM

More on the hotel proposal from Atlantaskyrise

" With an estimated cost for the project of $350 million, the plans include a five-star hotel, street-level retail space, a spa, three restaurants, two pools and a fitness center, as well as an on-site fine art museum to house Wieland’s private art collection for the first year.

24 residences will be above the hotel. He is also planning a separate condo tower with 50 units. James said his luxury condo units will start in the low $700,000s and penthouse units will start at $1.2 million.

Design Reese Architects and Associates in Atlanta is designing the hotel."

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Apr 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 4:54 PM

I hope it's a brand that's new to the city like Mandarin Oriental or Peninsula. Very exciting news!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
24 residences will be above the hotel. He is also planning a separate condo tower with 50 units. James said his luxury condo units will start in the low $700,000s and penthouse units will start at $1.2 million.
Well those condos will go like hotcakes if they are part of the hotel thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta