HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 12:51 PM
Honored Member

The only way that I can see a stadium being built in Halifax in the near future (without a current CFL team) is by one of the following avenues:

1) Government funding by attracting a large sports event (example: as one of many host cities for the 2015 FIFA Women's Cup which Canada is biding on and is considered to be one of the top two possibilities along with Chile). Moncton was able to build their stadium through this route. QUESTION: Is anyone in Nova Scotia approaching the Canadian Bid Committee about Halifax being a host city??? Who should we contact to find out? Mayor Kelly? District Councillors?

2) Private investment which is very unlikely since even if a CFL owner decided to locate in Halifax they would probably not be willing to completely finance a stadium. Another option is through a building fund and private contributions both large (maybe Sobeys) and small (I would give $2000, and more whenever I felt that I could). If a Not-For-Profit (NFP) Corporation could be organized to run a building fund then enough could possible be raised for the first phase of a stadium that would then be in a better position to attract a major sports event and get federal funding - for this to work we need the municipality to support it.

Unless we as a group can be pro-active and get something going then I am very pessimistic about Halifax getting a stadium in the near future. Although we would all like to think that there are backroom discussions occurring at this moment leading to Halifax building a stadium - chances are that nothing is happening and we will all be waiting another 27 years.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 1:00 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Stadium View Post
Fenwick....
We spend too much time on location.......but...
Distance is not the factor I'm getting at here......nobody wants to go on and off the peninsula.....
You cant draw a line on a map and say well its closer or farther....one might be right next to the stadium....and not have access....
Shannon Park works....any locale along the 102 works....simply because it is accessible via mass transit/shuttle/or one could drive if their was parking...or drive closer and shuttle to the game/concert....
Todays populations travel...movement is a key factor.....any stadium will seek tenants...tenants have owners...owners need to sell tickets....ticket buyers....are located where?
We all want a stadium. I don't want to argue with you but glossing over these issues doesn't do this cause any good. If you want to get a stadium built it isn't enough to just say you want a stadium built somewhere - you have to be more concise and spend a lot more time thinking about it. Otherwise you won't get any support. I just don't think you will get a majority of people excited about a stadium near Kearney Lake Road and the 102 (many might be interested but is that enough - what about all the people in Dartmouth and the peninsula?). We have been discussing this issue on this forum for close to a year now so most of these discussions about location have come up before - many people don't want a stadium on the outskirts of the city although some do (that isn't a good start for getting a consensus).

It would be best for us to come to a consensus on a stadium design and possible locations that can be presented to the public. The idea of a stadium being built in the Halifax area has been circulating for close to 30 years now. We need to go much further than that. The idea of a large arena being built in Shannon Park was proposed in the early 1970's (prior to the Metro Centre being built, this area was proposed). That is the reason for my concern.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 1:21 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Stadium View Post
Salty....
The skinny on the Games is the cost actually grew to where it would be at 1 billion........You know how this thing get so out of control....everything get added on....we want this and that....I believe it was the right thing toback off....would have loved to see it happen at half that cost but we would not likely have been selected unless it was the grandiose scheme it became....and yes Atlantic Canada would have been proud and burdened for a long long time.....specially if NS had to split 600 million of that between HRM and the Province.
HRM won the nod to represent Canada to bid for the games based on a very, very, preliminary design for an estimated cost of $750 million. ($400million free fed money) Did HRM really think it would not exceed $750 million? If so, it sure explains many of our current issues.

Halifax jumped ship because they thought it would go past 2 billion.
There was no effort to reduce the frills and stick with 750 million. The stadium could have been similar to Moncton's, billet athletes, swim in lake Banook etc. anything to cut costs. The worst that would happen is we lose the bid. The feds may have then said, yes you need some help with sport infrastructure, instead of scolding us for backing out without doing due diligence.

Last edited by Empire; Sep 24, 2010 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:40 PM
Promoting Nova Scotia

no issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
We all want a stadium. I don't want to argue with you but glossing over these issues doesn't do this cause any good. If you want to get a stadium built it isn't enough to just say you want a stadium built somewhere - you have to be more concise and spend a lot more time thinking about it. Otherwise you won't get any support. I just don't think you will get a majority of people excited about a stadium near Kearney Lake Road and the 102 (many might be interested but is that enough - what about all the people in Dartmouth and the peninsula?). We have been discussing this issue on this forum for close to a year now so most of these discussions about location have come up before - many people don't want a stadium on the outskirts of the city although some do (that isn't a good start for getting a consensus).

It would be best for us to come to a consensus on a stadium design and possible locations that can be presented to the public. The idea of a stadium being built in the Halifax area has been circulating for close to 30 years now. We need to go much further than that. The idea of a large arena being built in Shannon Park was proposed in the early 1970's (prior to the Metro Centre being built, this area was proposed). That is the reason for my concern.
Fenwick,,,,
I have no issues with the Shannon Park site or the Dartmouth Crossing.....or anywhere along the 102....Mainland Commons....my preference as far as location goes is pretty much anywhere but the peninsula....
I just think that it has to be easily accessible.
As for the Shannon Park site consideration 40 years ago, that was before it was abandoned by DND.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 4:25 PM
Fizzix geek

I am ok with Shannon Park, but places like DT and Hammonds Plains just do not seem to be good ideas to me.

I agree with Fenwick that I think this needs to be in a central, visible and high profile spot. I grant you that that doesn't have to mean the peninsula, but the farther you get from the core the worse it will be. All that means is that it will the farthest away from the most people and the hardest to service with transit. I agree the peninsula is hard to get onto... however I would argue that the bridges are equally horrendous and offer a maximum of two arterties for people who would have to cross. All that really means is that pretty much any where this goes it needs maximal availability of public transit options, and Hammonds Plains and DT just don't offer that. That is why I would be more interested in sites that have reasonable bus links, and the potential for future rail/ferry links. The transit alternatives the better. If we could be dropping off people via rail and bus and ferry to a site, then the issue of getting cars there becomes much less of an issue. Hence the reason why I think we should focus on sites that are either on the water (e.g. Shannon Park, Bedford, Seaport lands etc) and therefore have future rail/ferry links, or at the very least be close-ish to railcuts and existing transit infrastructure (Saint Mary's, Forum).

We need to get away from assuming that cars are going to be the exclusive way of getting there. I agree accessibility is key, but accessability via the maximal # of methods (by foot, car, rail, bus & ferry) is the real key, not just making the easiest to get to by car.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
HRM won the nod to represent Canada to bid for the games based on a very, very, preliminary design for an estimated cost of $750 million. ($400million free fed money) Did HRM really think it would not exceed $750 million? If so, it sure explains many of our current issues.

Halifax jumped ship because they thought it would go past 2 billion.
There was no effort to reduce the frills and stick with 750 million. The stadium could have been similar to Moncton's, billet atheletes, swim in lake Banook etc. anything to cut costs. The worst that would happen is we lose the bid. The feds may have then said, yes you need some help with sport infrastructure, instead of scolding us for backing out without doing due diligence.
Yes, that is what I understand happened as well -- really, not surprising considering those involved. MacGillivray, Logan, et al, are not known for their practical thinking abilities.

In terms of a potential stadium, I find the mention of using it for baseball as well very interesting. I think it is obvious that a baseball configuration would certainly add to the number of dates it could be utilized. However, I wonder how much of a stadium is needed for the type of ballgames played here and whether any of the teams could afford the rent.

Multipurpose stadiums usually end up being a compromise. However, I think in this case -- that of a smaller, more basic type of structure -- it could perhaps be more easily overcome. Shea Stadium in NYC, Jack Murphy (later Qualcomm) Stadium in San Diego, and RFK Stadium in Washington all used lower stands that were on either rails or rolled on rubber-tire support legs that let them be pivoted in or out to accommodate either baseball or football. The compromised seating was more in the upper decks, which were fixed. This stadium would likely be a single deck and so a moving stand could likely be accommodated more easily.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 7:36 PM

A multi purpose stadium is needed, the more tenents the better as it gets maximun use. Not sure how well baseball would go over but soccer probably would be successful. Soccer and football use similiar field configurations where as baseball is quite different.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 7:49 PM

Has anyone here contacted any councillors or the mayor recently? and if so did you hear anything back? We can all chat here for the next 20 years but it will make no difference until there is a political will to get something done.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 11:14 PM

I would like to propose this idea; since we all seem to be tossing out ideas but I can never keep them all in my head.

Why don't we create a list of sites that has been suggested by everyone, regardless of whether we agree or not. This way; we know the locations that have been suggested. Then perhaps someone can map the locations using say google and then we can get a better of where they would fall from a regional geography perspective. That way, we have a complete list and then begin the task of determining the pro's and con's of each site?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 11:24 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimeCFLFan View Post
Has anyone here contacted any councillors or the mayor recently? and if so did you hear anything back? We can all chat here for the next 20 years but it will make no difference until there is a political will to get something done.
It seems to me like a logical step would be to set up a Stadium Building Fund so that people can start contributing and encourage large corporations to contribute. When I went down to Halifax City Hall in January 2010, this topic was briefly discussed. I am not sure if the municipality would be willing to get involved in such a fund. This has been used for university stadium projects - could it work for a municipal stadium?

Are there enough people who are willing to contribute a significant amount of their time to such a project? If not then we might all be chatting for another 20 years. It seems as though the municipality doesn't have money for a stadium. With the library and convention centre possibly requiring capital in the near future then private contributions might be the only way to start.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 11:26 PM
Closed account

account deleted

Last edited by brettinhalifax; Mar 8, 2011 at 4:05 AM. Reason: account deleted

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 11:39 PM
Honored Member

I have stated my preferences in a stadium and you don't agree - that isn't contradicting myself; I just don't agree with you.

Last edited by fenwick16; Sep 25, 2010 at 1:00 AM. Reason: Removed my pointless comments

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 11:40 PM

Brett makes a point on budget in terms of proportionate cost - I don't think $25 million is too outragious; so long as we can achieve some reasonable goals. If the CFL is saying that stadiums require a 25K minimum seating, that cost should cover that. I got the 25k from someone's post earlier that the CFL had set the minimum size.

It should still be expandable though; to a greater number as time passes.

As to the building stadium fund; part of the funding can come from corporate sponsorship opportunities. So between things like advertising on the building site (advertising panels throughout corridors, in parking areas; on scoreboards or even on the exterior walls of the stadium - although I would be totally opposed to billboards on the site); then also you can sell the naming rights to the stadium as well for significant money. I suspect you'd see it named either the Eastlink or Bell Aliant Stadium - but I remember reading that the typical naming rights typical can go for between 3 to 5 million $.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 12:19 AM
Honored Member

This is a real contradiction. I have stated several times that I think that this would be a good type of stadium for Halifax. Just with a roof instead of a large media tower. If you look at the conceptual 3D models that I have posted do you see the resemblance?

(source: BrettinHalifax - posted this in the CFL in the Maritimes thread on 08-11-2009 - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...153061&page=11 )
Quote:
I stumbled on this stadium being built in Akron, Ohio for $60 million. It looks nicer than half the current CFL stadiums

Rendering:

Construction progress:

25,000 seats and it looks to me like it would fit the bill for a CFL team, Sid the Kid's annual Stanley Cup gatherings and regular Paul McCartney concerts.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 4:34 AM

The Akron stadium concept might be interesting as part of a redevelopment scheme for an area (not hinting only Shannon Park) - it certainly seems that scheme is part of a broader redevelopment concept.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Brett makes a point on budget in terms of proportionate cost - I don't think $25 million is too outragious; so long as we can achieve some reasonable goals.
HRM is blowing $100 million on the combination of a 4-pad arena and a high-end library. The majority of that sum is coming from HRM since they got no help with the arena and are footing the bill all by themselves. Given that, I don't thing a $50-60 million stadium is an outrageous target. The main risk with HRM being the lead is that we would get a $25 million stadium for a $60 million pricetag.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 1:56 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettinhalifax View Post
I didn't twist your words. You're just inconsistent. You said...

You're saying that you want Halifax to follow Moncton's example, but everything about your proposal is different than Moncton's stadium.
Maybe you are one of Halifax's leaders and I have offended you. Mainly, I want Halifax to build a stadium - if the majority of people in Halifax want a stadium like Moncton's stadium then I hope it will be built. Are you planning to organize a group to promote a stadium in Halifax - if you are then how do you plan to do it? Probably at least half the people that you meet will disagree with your idea of a stadium so how will you deal with that? Even if you are a well-know leader in Halifax, it will be the same result if you can't compromise.

Quote:
  • A sunken bowl vs. above ground.
  • In a residential neighbourhood vs. a university.
  • Redevelop land vs. building in a greenfield location.
  • A 2 tier stadium vs. a basic 1 tier stadium stadium
  • A roofed stadium vs. an open air stadium.
  • A $70,000,000 budget vs. a $20,000,000 budget
  • A 25,000 seat stadium vs. a 10,000 seat stadium.
  • Expandable to 50,000 vs. expandable to 25,000.
I have previously stated why I personally think the above points are beneficial - I can re-state it (will you state why you think the opposite is necessary?)
1) sunken bowl - the majority of new stadiums are at least partially sunken since it simplifies the stadium design (and your posted image of the InfoCision Stadium in Akron, Ohio was one that I liked). A sunken bowl might only be sunken by 10 - 20 feet. You seem to be assuming that any site chosen in the Halifax area will be flat. Being a sunken bowl stadium doesn't mean that the lower bowl must be built on top of the ground as it is at SMU Huskies Stadium - it could be build just as it would be on flat ground with the lower stands built with steel or concrete columns - just the top of the lower bowl will be level with the ground. (there could be storage space and/or usable space under the lower bowl of seats). Having the concourse above the lower bowl at ground level makes use of the ground as a ramp and simplifies the exit ramps. However, stating whether a stadium is sunken, partially sunken or built above ground is pointless until a site is selected. If the site is not flat, then a sunken or partially sunken design will probably be cheaper than building with the stadium entrances at field level. If you have to level a site that is at an incline then how is it cheaper to build it the way that you suggest? It might actually result in more excavation instead of less if the chosen site is not level.
2) I actually would like to see a stadium built at one of the universities such as SMU but they don't seem to have plans for a large stadium that can host the CFL (I spoke to two people who indicated that they weren't considering it and one said that concerts would not be allowed at the SMU site - one first-hand source and one second-hand source). I like Gorsebrook across from SMU - but do you think that will happen? Are there any sites close to a university that has a CIAU football program (only SMU)? I went through the list of possible sites near universities and there were always good stated reasons why each would not be acceptable. The closest were the Halifax Forum area and The West Mall. The Halifax Forum area is industrial/commercial with residential in the area - there are very few purely industrial areas in the HRM - and how many people will want to attend an event in those areas?
3) I like a 2 tier stadium because it provides room for wheelchair seating, luxury boxes and more concourse space under the stands. I would actually prefer a 3 tier stadium but it might be too costly. This would be a more intimate design than a single tier stadium. With a single tier stadium bowl where would the wheelchair accessible areas be and room for luxury seating - if you put it at the top of the stadium then this is an added expense?
4) I prefer a stadium with a roof over the stands. Many people want protection from the rain and sun - as people grow older this will become more important. Many fans will stay away from events on hot or rainy days if a roof isn't built over the seats - even 10% will likely cost a CFL team to lose money. Probably a portion of the middle-aged and elderly fans with the most money to spend on tickets and merchandise will be the ones who will stay away. Many, including myself, can't tolerate getting a sunburn or sick from the cold rain. If you look at all the CFL stadiums, only Calgary, Edmonton and Hamilton have stadiums with no roof at all. Montreal has two stadiums - one with and one without a roof. If Hamilton builds the new Pan-Am Stadium it will have a partial roof over most of the sideline seats.
5) I think that a stadium with 25,000 permanent seats will likely cost in the vicinity of $70 million. If the Moncton stadium is expanded to meet CFL standards with enough permanent seats, it will likely also cost much more than it currently does (probably at least $50 miilion for 25,000 permanent seats, especially if the city adds a parking lot). A Halifax stadium could be built in phases just as the Moncton Stadium has been - it doesn't have to be built all at once (building it in phases would likely meet the least resistance - so I actually agree with you on this point)
6) I have said several times that it could be built in stages but it should be designed to eventually be expandable to 40,000 for the Grey Cup Game and other events (I think that 30,000 permanent seats and 10,000 temporary seats would do for the Grey Cup).
7) I am just confused by this. You are the one who previously stated that a stadium should be expandable to 50,000 seats (I can post your previous comments). I think that a stadium that is expandable to 40,000 seats with temporary seats would be adequate (eventually, I think 30,000 permanent seats and 10,000 temporary seats just for special events would be ideal) . I think you read another person's post and thought it was mine. I don't remember ever mentioning a 50,000 seat stadium.

Quote:
Every one of those criteria for your proposal makes your stadium harder to accomplish and/or more expensive than Moncton's. It is going to be hard enough to get anything built without making it as hard as possible.

To be fair, I guess you reasoned that since Halifax is 3 times the size as Moncton, Halifax should spend 3 times as much. So as far as budget is concerned, your proposal is similar to Moncton's. Of course, NS is only about 25% bigger than NB, so maybe a appropriate budget would be $25 million.
You have stated previously that a stadium should be built in stages as required. I have stated the same but you seem to have overlooked that. If you have any sense of honesty at all you will go back, read what I have stated in the past and apologize for your inaccurate statement.

Quote:
The contradiction is that you want Halifax to follow Moncton's example but you also want Halifax to build a completely different stadium.
You are right that what I stated sounds like I am stating that Halifax should build a $20 million dollar stadium. What I meant was the Halifax should build an economical stadium that it can afford. If that means starting with a $20 million dollar stadium that can eventually be expanded to 40,000 (with some temporary seating) then I actually agree with you. However, in the statement below, where does it state that I want a stadium that is designed like the Moncton Stadium? I can show where I stated that it should be built in stages so as to attract an international sports event to get federal funding for expansion.

Quote:
Moncton area leaders sought an achievable goal and obtained it (a $20 million dollar stadium). I hope that Halifax area leaders will learn from that.
Some points that you have ignored are that the Moncton stadium as it currently stands can not support a CFL team (hosting a few games is not the same thing) - it has 10,000 permanent seats and 10,000 temporary seats. The CFL has repeatedly stated that a stadium should be build to CFL standards. A few of these requirements would be - at least 25,000 permanent seats, sufficient washrooms, media facilities and player change-rooms. Having luxury boxes would also be desirable. Do you think that this can all be accomplished for $20 million? Another point is that the Moncton Stadium doesn't have parking in the area. If you think Halifax should build a 10,000 permanent seat stadium in Woodside then where do you plan for people to park (the cost of building a parking lot is extra)?

If you really want a stadium then why not organize a group to promote it. If you have any chance of succeeding then you will have to compromise on many issues. Almost all of my ideas on what are important stadium features have come from others including yourself (i.e. building it in phases and the InfoCision stadium basic design). You have stated various different views over the past year - starting with an InfoCision Stadium type design, the Bright House Networks Stadium with metal bleachers, and the BC Lion's temporary facility with aluminum stands. You cannot say that I am inconsistent - if you are open to compromise then your opinions will change over time also (please don't say that all your opinions are all correct - I don't think anyone has done a detailed business plan on various stadium designs and locations, excluding the Commonwealth Games which was for a different purpose).

I think that the only way that Halifax will get a stadium will be through Halifax area business leaders taking on the responsibility. They will have to be willing to find a compromise that most people can accept. If getting a stadium built in the Halifax area were a simple task then it would have been done long ago. I and others could volunteer our time if there is a business group that is willing to listen to others. In order to get a stadium built in Halifax it might mean having a large group of people volunteering almost all of their spare time to the effort.

Last edited by fenwick16; Sep 26, 2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: corrected some of my grammar

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 2:57 PM
Salty Town

STADIUM FUND

It will take a lot of political will to have a stadium built in Halifax. Presently there doesn’t appear to be any political will at all. A government sponsored stadium fund would demonstrate enough will to get started. Perhaps the fund could be kick started by a benefit concert at the Metro Centre, and if that is too much of a business conflict then maybe a concert on the hill, commons or at Shannon Park. Bands may line up for this as a stadium would be in their future best interests.

A stadium fund should have been started 26 years ago when the Atlantic Schooners franchise folded. The Schooners folded because no one would back a stadium. Sadly nothing was learned from that experience.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 5:16 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
STADIUM FUND

It will take a lot of political will to have a stadium built in Halifax. Presently there doesn’t appear to be any political will at all. A government sponsored stadium fund would demonstrate enough will to get started. Perhaps the fund could be kick started by a benefit concert at the Metro Centre, and if that is too much of a business conflict then maybe a concert on the hill, commons or at Shannon Park. Bands may line up for this as a stadium would be in their future best interests.

A stadium fund should have been started 26 years ago when the Atlantic Schooners franchise folded. The Schooners folded because no one would back a stadium. Sadly nothing was learned from that experience.
Previously, when I tried to have the municipality set up a building fund in January 2010, the response from the city after considering it for a while was that they were not interested in pursuing it.

I have sent another email, I will let you know if it is a favourable response or not. Of the four councillors that I met in January 2010, Councillor Hendsbee seemed to be the most informed regarding a building fund and how to set it up. He seems to be the most interested in the stadium issue of the councillors whom I have met.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 6:17 PM

I think the idea of a multi-purpose stadium is interesting, for football/soccer and baseball. But I think if it's built as one, football needs to be its' primary purpose. When configured for football, there shouldnt' be a bad sightline to be found. When configured for baseball, the infield seats should be able to offer great views, with the outfield seats not quite as much a priority. In some of these stadiums, entire sections are closed/curtained for baseball, because the sightlines from those sections just aren't appropriate. Personally I think that's a decent enough trade off, if we appropach it as football being the primary tenant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment