HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:52 PM

Quote:
right? Despite being located in a State where the government is openly hostile to anything progressive, urban or seen to benefit Atlanta - we just keep chugging along. Imagine how different things could be if the State of Georgia or its Governor gave a damn about its Capitol City!

Rising gas prices are going to hurt many metros and thier suburbs, your precious New Orleans included. This car centic City seems to be doing pretty damn well in the middle of all of this uncertainty, thank you
And I'm not disagreeing about MARTA. I want to see the state take it over, it does not service the suburbs at all. The core failure is with the state, and the NIMBYs who have ruled the day for so long with cheap energy.

And Atlanta risks having problems (particuarly the outer suburbs) if there aren't alternatives. And Atlanta isn't getting by ok, I know people are struggling there...and New Orleans does not compare. The urbanized land area is so much more contained due to the available land as opposed to Atlanta. Even far flung Kenner to New Orleans doesn't even compared to commuting in from Buford or Canton to Atlanta.

I'm not speaking a load of crap...and you cannot separate Atlanta itself from its suburbs, and that is where the core problems will come into play.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 8:03 PM

I'm sorry, but New Orleans and Atlanta could not be more different. And sorry to tell you, but people are struggling all over the place, including where you now live.

New Orleans is just as guilty as Atlanta in the sprawl department, if not more so. The boom going on on the North Shore right now confirms this. Didn't the State of Louisiana just subsidize Chevrons move from Poydras Street to a sprawling new campus up there?

We don't own the market on sprawl any more than you and dozens of other American metros.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 8:13 PM

Chevron was going to go to Houston...and I'm unsure that Louisiana did anything but I know they wanted to leave their CBD building, and most of their people lived on the Northshore anyhow.

and New Orleans is not the Northshore. The Northshore is a New Orleans exurb if nothing else.

Of course people are struggling but I am saying energy prices are hurting people everywhere but the less you spend, and in the south this means living closer to work...the less you feel the pinch.
You are right NOLA and ATL are very different. I was spending $300 a month in gas 2 years ago, and now I'm spending $80 a month.
And I didn't say Atlanta owns the market on sprawl but I am however very concerned with the overall nature of sprawl in my hometown, and the concern that energy prices will have on Atlanta.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 2:44 PM

Great pics!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 9:16 PM
HighScaper

Peachtree is such a curvy road

The pics are nice, thanks! It always amazes me that when looking at the Buckhead skyline shots, most of the buildings are fronting Peachtree!

Check out my site!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 3:07 AM

That is a great vantage point to get good shots of downtown, midtown, and Buckhead skyline. I have ventured up to the top of Fox Sports Grill and captured some shots of Buckhead at night. It's a great area if you can get high enough.

Nice work.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 5:22 PM

Those photos make purchasing a South, north, or east unit very worth it, just because of the view alone!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 3:49 AM

Hi everyone, long time reader first time poster here. Atlanta is many things to many people and unless you were here last week the city has changed several times over without you even noticing. We are criticized for not being a "real" city with a "real" identity however our identity depends on the people you meet. Like myself most Atlantans have all moved from somewhere else and brought the best of who we are and the best of from where we came. That is the great thing about Atlanta and Atlantans; we are not stifled with the past and the painful reminder that the best times of our city are long forgotten and we will never experience them. Atlantans best times are right now. Be it good or bad we are always moving and always moving forward. Whether you like it or not it will keep us viable for many, many years to come.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta