HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 10:33 AM
Posh

Plus this big new development is planned for Cheney. With 1,300 housing units it should really be a big boost for retail and business in the town:

http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokan...ticle&sub=2955

Includes this tidbit at the end:

Quote:
Separately, Emtman says he plans to renovate three buildings in downtown Cheney that he has bought recently, and is looking for retail tenants. Emtman says he’s investing in the downtown area as a way to draw more visitors into the heart of Cheney, rather than have visitors shop at commercial centers that have risen on the outskirts of town.

“We’re trying to bring more small businesses to Cheney, and it’s important to build up the downtown and get more money spent there,” he says.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 1:01 AM

Rookery/Mohawk Building Demolition

here is the picture from the Thursday Spokesman Review

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 2:34 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ Looks almost as depressing as Ground Zero after 9-11!

I hope they at least they salvage the Art Deco Motiffs off the Rookery Building for another "SPOKANE" building in the future......not like it's shipped off and used in another Northwest City in the future!

Not sure I can trust what the current owner says about potential buyers.......I'll believe it when it happens. I do think the site should be the site of some highrise construction, but that might have to wait for awhile.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 7:12 AM
Rathdrum

hey look at this for our little town to the south.

http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokan...ticle&sub=2954

looks like the valley and liberty lake arent enough for out of town development. this is a 5 million gallon/ year biofuel refinery and 200+ home development in spangle. would triple the towns size

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 7:51 AM
Posh

^
Bah, Spangle is so far away. All it'll do is encourage distant sprawl and long commutes.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 8:06 AM
Rathdrum

i agree with you james which is what i meant by the valley and liberty lake not being enough, but for my fuel tank since that 5 million gallons is only in the first year. i hope this can help us with the gas price in spokane area since we are the highest in the nation.

P.s. although in spokane cda area 5 million gallons mean average of about 7-8 gallons per year more for area lol

Last edited by ghost22; Nov 17, 2006 at 8:19 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 8:36 AM
A before E

wow, that block is going to feel so depressing without those buildings there. I a true loose for the city. As for potential buyers, I will believe it when I see it. I really don't trust nor believe anything the Reugh's say and will be happy when the old bastard dies.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 3:48 AM
Hub for an Empire

Speaking of Spangle.....

I bet someday, Highway 195 will be a divided Highway all the way from Spokane to Lewiston, since the Quad Cities area is now around 100,000 with the Four Cities. Plus with them trying to make a North-South Corridor up to Canada, the Port of Lewiston/Clarkston will play a part in making the Spokane region a transportation hub.

Everyone see about the Davenport Tower on KXLY news last night? Hope the Elephant heads aren't real!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 5:44 AM

It just gets worse.........they're at it again...

"The tower will have an African safari theme with large elephant head busts adorning the lobby and giraffe statues outside the entrance to the bar. Hotel rooms include chaise lounges in leopard print and paintings of zebras and elephants. The hotel restaurant will be called the Safari Room Fresh Grill and Bar." Spokesman Review Nov, 17, 2006 in an interview with Walt Worthy on his new tower....by Alison Boggs

Sweeeeeeet! lol....now where are those people that think Walt builds good, classy stuff? Let's all say a prayer....It's like a Mad Magazine story. Dazzee

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 9:01 AM
A before E

Safari Spokane? For the Spokanite that can't get away.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 2:53 PM
Hub for an Empire

I was wishing to see more of the inside of the Davenport Tower on the newscast!

I thought the theme looked kind of similar to the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas, with Safari theme, but on a smaller scale and budget.

At least Worthy stated it would be a fun place to go and wouldn't compete with the current Davenport Hotel!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 3:54 PM
World Traveler

Big Post Falls Development

A big Post Falls development project is getting under way very soon. This project will be on the west side of Post Falls, right along the Idaho-Washington border. There won't be a lot of vacant land remaining along I-90 from Post Falls to Coeur d'Alene after this project is completed...

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/200...ness/bus01.txt

Retailers hear Cabela's bugle
Posted: Friday, Nov 17, 2006 - 11:23:01 pm PST
By BRIAN WALKER
Staff writer

Rendering courtesy CLC Associates
The Pointe at Post Falls, a 235-acre retail project along Interstate 90, will likely include a lifestyle-themed center, home improvement big box, two hotels and a large chain store in addition to Cabela's on the west end. Sale of the property has closed and grading is expected to start within two weeks.

Site grading expected to start within two weeks

POST FALLS -- Cabela's and the 235-acre mixed-use project that it will anchor on Post Falls' west side are already making waves.

"Cabela's is such a quality retailer that appeals to a broad market," said Jeff Vitek of Carlsbad-Calif.-based Foursquare Properties, developer of The Pointe at Post Falls west of Sysco on the north side of Interstate 90. "The response (from other retailers following suit) has been very favorable. We've had significant interest from a number of restaurants, hotels and big boxes."

Foursquare's purchase of the pie slice-shaped property from Liberty Lake landowner Greenstone Corp. has closed, sealing the final detail for Cabela's to come. A job shack is already on the site, and Vitek said grading will likely start within two weeks.

"Cabela's should be open by the fall of next year," Vitek said.

The 125,000-square-foot outdoor retail store, which would employ 250, will include a towering mountain replica, an aquarium, wild-game displays, a deli-style restaurant, gun library, indoor archery range and atrium.

It will anchor the west end of The Pointe and overlook the Spokane River at the state line.

Three other big-box retail anchors are planned, along with two hotel sites along I-90 on both sides of Beck Road where a future interchange to access the project is planned. The other anchors will likely include a home improvement store and large retail chains.

The south end of the project will feature lifestyle-themed stores that back I-90.

There are 19 one- to three-acre pads in the project for complementary businesses such as restaurants and a variety of retail outlets.

Vitek said he's not ready to announce any businesses that are eyeing the project.

He said the development will resemble Foursquare's other large mixed-use projects in California, Utah and Montana. It will have a similar feel to the business community around the Spokane Valley Mall with one access off Beck Road and two off Seltice Way.

Examples of businesses in those include Target, Sam's Club, Circuit City, cinemas, Applebee's, Cold Stone Creamery, Famous Dave's BBQ and Bath and Body Works.

Vitek said Cabela's will likely be the first store built, but construction on other businesses will be going on simultaneously. Engineers interested in constructing the interchange met with local officials this week.

"We're getting a tremendous amount of interest," Post Falls Mayor Clay Larkin said. "Calls are coming in almost daily, and some of them don't want to say who they are. They all understand what Cabela's means as a destination and the number of tourists it attracts every year. The project will market itself."

Post Falls Chamber CEO Angela Alexander said her organization is also feeling the ripple effect.

"We're getting people who are looking to provide a service to Cabela's, people who are looking for jobs and businesses that are looking to come," she said. "It doesn't matter what event I go to, people are asking about it. I think it's given us more of a name recognition."

Proponents say the project will not only be an economic boost and create jobs, but it will revive the west side of Post Falls, including the factory outlets and Pleasantview area.

"Having Buck Knives and Cabela's combined will make this a great area for tourism," said Steve Griffitts of Jobs Plus. "It keeps North Idaho in the forefront."

Foursquare has about 70 acres of surplus property on the north and east sides of Sysco. Vitek said the site will include some residential, but the focus will be retail.
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 8:08 PM

blah

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 6:17 PM

Blah

Agree Sg2. Dazzee

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 6:22 AM
Cascadia Rising

^^
Good to see PF getting more jobs, but the type of people Buck Knives and Cabela's attracts are the people I was trying to escape in North Idaho. Oh well.. more jobs. If it benefits the Outlet area too that would be a bonus... that area needs some help.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 5:03 AM
Rathdrum

the home improvement box store is no doubt Lowes, home depot wouldnt put a new store 3 miles from its new and by the way failing liberty lake store. and this development is actually as old as the hills, it is just that it is now actually getting businesses moving into it. Buck knives and Cabela's couldnt have picked a better location. Idaho is one of the most popular "outdoorsee" locations in america except alaska. with montana nearby it will probably be one of their best and already will be one of the largest locations. the kind of people here are great, hunting is a way of life and if u dont like it spokane is accross the border. that is why this area is so dynamic. hence near nature, near perfect.

also since i live in rathdrum there is one more project going in cda right next to hwy 95 and northwest blvd on the northeast corner. they are already breaking ground on it. from the drawing board it looks like 4, 7-8 story buildings, condos or commercial, and a pretty large sized 2 story base building. it is called "northwest place" and is a blackrock development. i cant find any info on the web about it. if someone else can that would be great.

by the way here is some info on the cabelas store development

http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokan...update&sub=359

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/200...ness/bus01.txt

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 6:02 AM
Cascadia Rising

^
You may be talking about The Crossing at Coeur d' Alene, a development that is on the land adjacent to what will be the Kroc Rec Center. Actually, no, I take that back. I had some renderings a long time ago of the development you're talking about... Marshall Chesrown of Black Rock is playing a hand in it for sure. I think it was going to start with a couple 3 floor buildings and maybe down the road have a couple 7ish story buildings backing those up. You're talking about the old Pines Motel site correct??

Oh, and as a sidenote I never meant disrespect to the Idaho lifestyle and those attracted to it- it was always lost on me for some reason in the 20+ years I lived in Post Falls, Coeur d' Alene, Moscow, and Lewiston. Never been a hunter/camper type myself, but I can see how Cabela's would do well. They will have to compete at some level with the Sportsman's Warehouse in the Valley and the new one planned by Costco in CDA.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 10:59 PM
Hub for an Empire

For your holiday reading enjoyment.....in this week's Spokane Journal of Business:

-Natural Gas Exploration in Eastern Washington
-Geiger Spur Project
-Possible Hotel at Silverwood
-Opinion: Keep Light Rail Plans for the Future
-West 809 Building in NW Homes Section

you can see these stories and more at:

http://www.spokanejournal.com/

For the Spokesman-Review readers.....the Slice article was kind of humorous this week.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 2:45 AM
Rathdrum

i am not sure if it is the old pines motel site but i seriously cannot find any info on this project whatsoever. for the size it seems it will be they should have a site or at least list it on the black rock projects on their site. I have looked everywhere. i wish i had a digital camera to get some photos of it. happy thanksgiving everyone and good luck with the crowds this weekend. i am going snowboarding on sunday and cant wait.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 9:35 PM
Hub for an Empire

I noticed last night while I was driving on Main Avenue and glanced south at Howard Street that the Rookery Block looked in pretty sad condition.......rubble pile..... Hope Wendall is satisfied with his legacy for Spokane! Thought he was supposed to save the Art Deco Motifs for the parking lot.......hope he was intelligent enough to do that before he brought it down! Needless to say, I avoided driving down Sprague or Riverside last night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West