HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 6:14 AM

The Payne at Williams and Beech is now U/C. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Nice small-lot density.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:31 AM

N Interstate developments:

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 8:21 AM

Sounds like the project on N Williams at Mason is scheduled to start construction in June. That's if they can overcome the neighbors who don't want the increased density. It's designed by LRS -- we can only hope that it turns out less terrible than the Albert, which is a mess of cheap, incohesive materials.

Latest land-use review is here.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 10:29 AM

Boohoo, if they don't want density they should move to Hillsboro.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 11:16 PM

Noticed this today while I was eating at Brass Tacks. Hard to understand the footprint -- it's not going to front Fremont -- but it also looks like New Seasons is involved somehow (their logo is on the posterboard) and it might involve a courtyard on the corner of Vancouver/Fremont? The rendering also suggests planned developments on both unbuilt corners of Williams/Fremont as well the lot behind New Seasons. Speaking of NS: it's getting close to completion, also noticed that someone had thrown a brick through one of their windows.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 3:49 AM

So I believe the radiator is proposed for the where the 1222 building is now, a parcel owned by Ben Kaiser who is the man behind both Path Architecture and the Kaiser Group as well as being on the Design Commission. I think it looks great and will be a nice balance to the cheap apartments and suburban looking New Seasons. The lot to the south along Fremont between Williams and Vancouver is owned by a different person who also has as of yet unreleased plans... that I happen to know are being developed by a real good architecture firm. Ben Kaiser also owns the SE corner of Fremont and Williams. He has done preliminary work to develop it and is in the process of getting the zoning changed from a higher density residential zone to EX which will open up some options. The lot south of New Seasons has a proposal for a 5 or 6 story mixed use building that will include parking. It is being designed by LRS which did the Albert up the street, the New Seasons and another 5-6 story mixed use building proposed for just south of Vendetta at Skidmore. The rendering I saw looked underwhelming.

So much change for one little pocket. We won't be able to recognize the area in a few years.

Last edited by Mr. Walch; Apr 9, 2013 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 4:22 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Heh, I haven't been by the New Seasons site since it was a hole in the ground overgrown with shrubs.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 10:45 PM

Found this today:

http://frewilldock.tumblr.com/

It's an ongoing blog by the people putting together the developments at Fremont/Vancouver. Explains the New Seasons participation -- looks pretty awesome.

Edit: though the "Frewill" thing makes me retch...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 5:35 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Another LRS beauty headed for NoPo:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...tment_bui.html

image LRS Arch.

Love the divet!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
zilfondel: Another LRS beauty headed for NoPo:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...tment_bui.html
From the O article:

Even though the project provides each unit with parking for one car and a bike, neighborhood activists say they would like more.

“Although we are not keen to see a 200-unit, six-story apartment building,” said Mike Warwick, chair of the Eliot Neighborhood Association, “given that it will be built, Eliot wants the developer and his tenants to succeed."

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:10 AM

Can someone please explain to me how it can be legal to build a 6-foot black chain link fence right up to the sidewalk on a major commercial thoroughfare like MLK? Was design review not triggered for some reason? And bars on the windows. "Ekohaus". Wow. "Innovative urban architecture" my ass.

http://foslerarchitecture.com/

And the guy is building a second identical structure a few blocks up. 2 stories. Exact same design. What. the. fuck. is. going. on.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:14 AM

Oh wow! Look at that lovely graffiti canvas!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:59 AM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Can someone please explain to me how it can be legal to build a 6-foot black chain link fence right up to the sidewalk on a major commercial thoroughfare like MLK? Was design review not triggered for some reason? And bars on the windows. "Ekohaus". Wow. "Innovative urban architecture" my ass.
Would this be the same people behind Freedom Center Apartments in the Pearl? I started writing a blog post on, "The worst Urban Living in Portland," awhile back and haven't had time to finish. It was to include Freedom Center and the Milano as the showcase, any other suggestions? This place! Ha

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:25 PM

Yeah, same guy as behind Freedom Center. The worst part might be that the developer, Mark Madden I believe, has branded his collection of poorly designed cheap apartments as "ekoHAUS." As far as I can tell the only eco thing about them is they are small and lack parking. I was shocked to see such a suburban design allowed on MLK, a street that is possible just now beginning to turn the corner. As you can see from his website he is building these all over the city.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 7:26 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I thought the Freedom Center was Sakhoff?

Also, not all of the "Eko Haus" apartments are bad. I've toured a couple, and they seemed like a nice, small, 2-bedroom type apartment. Quite compact. They will work for many people. The ones on SE 12th ave had a very cozy relationship to the street. But this MLK is kinda... strange. The design seems to have a rather inappropriate interface with the street. I'd recommend he keep building those apts in actual neighborhoods, off of main streets - they ARE scaled down to the point that I bet most neighbors wouldn't mind them at all.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 8:46 PM
Semi-Lurker

My girlfriends was living in the GLEE ekoHAUS apartments over on Glisan and 24th. The location was nice, being so close to The Ocean and all but the building itself and the property management were subpar at best. They basically put in a couple nice amenities and then cheaped out on everything else. There was virtually no sound proofing, the hinges on the cabinets began coming off and the "Free Wi-Fi" that they provided constantly went down. About a month after finishing the building they were informed by the city that they could not have exterior panel doors facing the street. Instead of replacing the doors, they cut pieces of flat plywood, painted them the color of the doors and screwed them over the surface to make the doors flat. She ended up breaking her lease and leaving, along with roughly 1/3 of the other tenants.

Also they never took her off the email list. So after moving out she got a letter that they sent to all of the buildings tenants informing them that the free Wi-Fi would no longer be provided... and the reason...drum roll please..... was because they had been using one standard Comcast account hooked up to a wireless router to provide internet to the whole complex... which is of course.... Illegal.

My point being, yeah, ekoHAUS is shitty. Not surprised they would bring us crap like this.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 4:51 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Wow, that sounds terrible! I stand corrected.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 6:06 AM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
My girlfriends was living in the GLEE ekoHAUS apartments over on Glisan and 24th. The location was nice, being so close to The Ocean and all but the building itself and the property management were subpar at best. They basically put in a couple nice amenities and then cheaped out on everything else. There was virtually no sound proofing, the hinges on the cabinets began coming off and the "Free Wi-Fi" that they provided constantly went down. About a month after finishing the building they were informed by the city that they could not have exterior panel doors facing the street. Instead of replacing the doors, they cut pieces of flat plywood, painted them the color of the doors and screwed them over the surface to make the doors flat. She ended up breaking her lease and leaving, along with roughly 1/3 of the other tenants.

Also they never took her off the email list. So after moving out she got a letter that they sent to all of the buildings tenants informing them that the free Wi-Fi would no longer be provided... and the reason...drum roll please..... was because they had been using one standard Comcast account hooked up to a wireless router to provide internet to the whole complex... which is of course.... Illegal.

My point being, yeah, ekoHAUS is shitty. Not surprised they would bring us crap like this.
Wow, I just may include you in my future blog post. Would it be ok if I messaged you about this?

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 5:16 PM
Semi-Lurker

Certainly

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 11:50 PM

Is Williams considered North Portland?

New Seasons on Williams:

Payne Passive House:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland