HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 11:26 PM
-_-

Moving to Atlanta: Where to look for rental homes near Emory?

My wife and I are moving to Atlanta this August, and have decided to find a place to rent for 6 months before buying a place. We're looking at houses for rent, but aren't sure which areas to look at. My wife will be working at Emory, but I haven't found a job yet (though I do have a promising interview on Monday in Decatur, just outside of 285).

Any suggestions on particular town/neighborhoods to look in? Since I don't have a job yet, we've just been looking in the area around Emory. We're going to be in town this weekend looking at places.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrindley View Post
My wife and I are moving to Atlanta this August, and have decided to find a place to rent for 6 months before buying a place. We're looking at houses for rent, but aren't sure which areas to look at. My wife will be working at Emory, but I haven't found a job yet (though I do have a promising interview on Monday in Decatur, just outside of 285).

Any suggestions on particular town/neighborhoods to look in? Since I don't have a job yet, we've just been looking in the area around Emory. We're going to be in town this weekend looking at places.
That area you are look at have some of the worst traffic in town.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart8588 View Post
That area you are look at have some of the worst traffic in town.
On a related note, just curious to ask how easy it is to find 6-month leases anymore since I haven't done it in years. Last time I was renting in the mid-'90's, it seemed like everyone was trying to force 9-months minimum.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:01 AM

I think your best bets for short-term rental will have an inverse relationship to the "calibre" of the neighborhood. To rank neighborhoods near Emory by "most desirable to least desirable" (and thus by "least number of short-term opportunities to most number of short-term possibilities") I would say:

Druid Hills
Morningside
Virginia-Highland
Lake Claire
Candler Park
Decatur (not Oakhurst)
Oakgrove
Inman Park
Toco Hills
Oakhurst
Medlock
Kirkwood
Edgewood-Reynoldstown

In other words, while Druid Hills is most accessible to Emory (and very nice for the most part) Edgewood-Reynoldstown will have a lot of rental property available (but isn't as nice by-and-large). My two cents based on rental properties I own in Candler Park/Lake Claire--I've had to suss out the competition.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:19 AM

Rent close to Downtown Decatur and ride the free shuttle to Emory.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:29 AM

One of my kids lives over near North DeKalb Mall and works at Emory. 10 minute commute. A lot of Emory people live in his neighborhood. Very, very nice over there, and mucho bang for your buck. They got a renovated 3/2 with a huge LR/DR, hardwoods, a blowout kitchen with granite, screened porch, laundry room, basement, mature trees, swim/tennis, the whole ball of wax for just over $200K.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 12:03 PM
Darryl

I agree with Andrea on this one. I own a house off of Valley Brook Road about a mile from North Dekalb Mall. Many of my neighbors work at Emory. There are several cozy neighborhoods off of Valley Brook as well as behind Shamrock Plaza (off of N. Druid Hills or Lawrenceville Hwy). There are also several nice neighborhoods off of N. Druid Hills heading toward Emory. You can also look along LaVista Road heading toward Northlake, but like Andrea suggested you'll get much more "bang for the buck" in the North Dekalb mall area. There's also a free Emory shuttle at N. Dekalb mall.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 12:53 PM

That area is one of the city's few remaining close-in undiscovered* jewels. Just a few minutes to downtown Decatur, and there's tons of good shopping and dining. You've also got easy access to the Stone Mountain Freeway and 285 when you need to go outbound, which in this city is just as important as going inbound.

*What I mean is that prices haven't gone off the scale yet. Lots of happy people have discovered it and are enjoying some excellent close-in living.

Last edited by Andrea; Jul 3, 2008 at 1:20 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtiVaHiAtl View Post
Rent close to Downtown Decatur and ride the free shuttle to Emory.
I like this idea best just because the Decatur square is such a great place to get to know. The other advantage is it sits on top of the MARTA line that goes directly downtown if you should happen to find a job in the CBD.

Welcome to town!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 5:52 PM
-_-

Thanks for all the info. From the searching that we've done so far, most places want a one year lease minimum, but we have found some people willing to do a 6 month lease. Somewhere near the free shuttle to Emory would be great. I'm not likely to get a job in the CBD as I am an Industrial Controls Engineer. Hopefully I don't end up with a job out on the periphery.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 2:17 AM

For restaurants, transportation, quality of life, urban experience, walkability, good schools, it doesn't get any better than city of Decatur (especially near the square). At least that's my impression, coming from DC. If any of these aspects are important to you, it would preferable to Druid Hills, VA/HI, Morningside, or any of the others mentioned.

Though, Candler Park is a beautiful place too, and perhaps one of the finest neighborhoods in Atlanta. Can't beat breakfast at the original Flying Biscuit or Radial Cafe on an early morning. VA/HI, Morningside, and Druid Hills are of course great neighborhoods as well, but they feel a little more 'suburban transplant', and don't have the creative culture of Candler Park, Inman Park and city of Decatur. But when it comes down to it, you couldn't go wrong with any of these neighborhoods on the Eastern side of Atlanta.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 2:07 PM

SimpleHomeRent.com

Hi,
SimpleHomeRent.com is a great website to view rental houses in Atlanta and all over Georgia. It displays them on a map and you can even see the houses from a street view, really cool!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta