HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted Jul 15, 2007, 2:25 AM

Chesapeake owned it because it was part of a much larger deal ($300 Million) with Anadarko that involved oil and gas interests along with real estate.

Aubrey McClendon then contacted his friend and co-founder of Chesapeake, Tom Ward (who now owns SandRidge), and made him a good deal.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2007, 5:07 AM

This really is great news, but apparently on the the bad side of things, the 2007 bricktown nationals were cancelled due to the amount of debris in the river. I think they mean trash, and thats kinda sad if they are talking about that..............but anyways here are a few pics that my cousin took

Last edited by Architect2010; Jul 15, 2007 at 5:14 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 6:22 PM

It wasn't "trash" it was normal river debris....tree limps, logs, etc. All the normal junk that runs into a river when you have as much rain as we did.

My question is what idiot authorized the opening of the damn with an even planned that close to it. There's no way it was in danger of overflowing or anything....its a freaking spillway. It's not as though anyone downstream was in need of water either.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 8:56 PM
Meh

Nice pictures. And yes, it was trash/debris, but it was stuff that washed in there from the flooding. Our lakes, rivers and creeks have all been brown and filled with trash and debris also. Everything from tree limbs, even entire trees, other vegetation, and yes, even trash that washed in when everything flooded. Some of the neighborhoods near Lake Travis were under 11 feet of water. So no doubt there was some "debris". Even cars, dumpsters, refrigerators and other appliances and furniture. I even heard the rivers' currents are so strong that it's pushing all that stuff out into gulf as far as 20 miles out. All of Texas major rivers are at or above flood stage.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 3:09 AM

Nice pics 2010, even a few of the building that I worked on in there.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Nice pictures. And yes, it was trash/debris, but it was stuff that washed in there from the flooding. Our lakes, rivers and creeks have all been brown and filled with trash and debris also. Everything from tree limbs, even entire trees, other vegetation, and yes, even trash that washed in when everything flooded. Some of the neighborhoods near Lake Travis were under 11 feet of water. So no doubt there was some "debris". Even cars, dumpsters, refrigerators and other appliances and furniture. I even heard the rivers' currents are so strong that it's pushing all that stuff out into gulf as far as 20 miles out. All of Texas major rivers are at or above flood stage.
Because apparently you live here and drive by it all every day since your location says Austin? Ive been at lakes in OKC many times this summer and haven't seen any trash in them. Arcadia is probably the most crazy right now being 11 feet above flood, but it's not connected at all. I find it more likely that it was from storm drains that run into the river...not the lakes.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 5:41 PM

...........and strom drains pick up trash off the street. It doesn't matter no one should get defensive no one said it was all trash, but again it doesn't matter, the races were canceled due to dangerous debris in the water, whether it be trash or tree limbs or whatever.............. lol. So does anyone have anything interesting to talk about??? ummmmmmm, I heard Bricktown is offering free paking during lunch and on Tuesday Nights........lol.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 6:21 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
Because apparently you live here and drive by it all every day since your location says Austin? Ive been at lakes in OKC many times this summer and haven't seen any trash in them. Arcadia is probably the most crazy right now being 11 feet above flood, but it's not connected at all. I find it more likely that it was from storm drains that run into the river...not the lakes.
It wasn't a slam to Oklahoma City of course. Even the cleanest city if it floods will have garbage and debris wash into the rivers and streams. It'll come out of places where no one even realized was there. And yes, I was talking more about storm drains, they're usually the culprit since anything on the street washes into there from rain, then it can eventually wash into bodies of water. Floods show you why it's important not to litter. Even so it's a fact of urban living that there will be at least some.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 8:22 PM

Here are some projects going on in and around downtown.....

The Centennial on the Canal...

This condo project was announced at the end of last year for Bricktown. The building is in a prime site next to the movie theater and across the canal from the Centennial Fountain. New details have been released about the project.

28 units of the total 30 are already sold, and some of the retail space is leased. A 10-lane upscale bowling lounge and lounge and a Starbucks will be the anchor retail tenants. Two levels of retail will be constructed- canal level and second level walkway, similar to upper Bricktown designs. The remaining three levels will be the 30 residential units, and underground parking will be provided for tenants. It's a small but nice project, and the bowling lounge is very nice to add another activity to Bricktown's menagerie.

Construction began May 1 2006 and the project will be complete by winter 2007.

Hampton Inn & Suites

9 story hotel planned for Bricktown right behind the left field of the Bricktown Ballpark. The Previous rendering I put on here was not used and they downgraded with a glass facade to this.... but its still ok i think.

original plan

current plan

OverHolser Greens

Plan selected from two different super-block proposals for The Old Mercy Hospital Site.
- 109 Condos ($340-742k)
- three 4-story buildings, one 8-story building
- 220 underground spaces
- $60 million ($1 million TIF)

OU Cancer Research Istitute

New OU Cancer Research addition on the northeast side of downtown:
A $165 million primo cancer facility that will be one of the tops in the nation. There will be parking and a skywalk over 10th Street, and the facility should open by 2009. The 140,000-square-foot center is funded in part ($90 million) by the tobacco tax increase approved by voters in Nov. 2004. The rest will come from appropriations that come OU's way, and private donations. It will serve a region of the US that includes Dallas, Little Rock, Tulsa, and Wichita, as well as Central Oklahoma.

OU Children's Hospital

The Children's Hospital is actually adding a new 290,800 sq. ft. addition that will house the ambulatory care unit. The atrium, which will be 6 stories tall, will also be attached to a below-grade parking complex with 1,000 spaces. Connected to the north end is a new building that will house offices for doctors and staff.

http://www.okmet.org/cover/

Last edited by Architect2010; Aug 9, 2007 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 6:01 AM
Big City Enthusiast

^ looks like some good infill for OKC.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 2:37 AM

yes it does!
Very exciting stuff
On the 26th The city is holding the last Core to Shore Meeting
at the cox convention center.
6:30 to 8:30
im not going, but i cant wait to see everything presented on the okc.gov website!!!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:11 AM

Lower Bricktown progressing nicely, with the Centennial condo development on the left in this really nice picture courtesy of Doug Loudenback. (dougdawg.blogspot.com for more pictures)

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 4:17 AM

http://okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/...%20Meeting.pdf

Here is the Latest Core to Shore Presentation for September 26th.
I strongly recommend you to open it and look at it.
There are 5 new skyscrapers in that plan that will be built as part of the core to shore.
Very Exciting Stuff!

Here are some more pics of Bricktown.

courtesy of: flickr.com

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 4:58 AM
Meh

The city looks nice. That fountain and mural is cool.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 2:29 AM

It's actually a newly completed mosaic that took 3 years to complete.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 3:18 AM

Yeah its really nice
it livens up that end of the canal, which is prolly
the worst part of the canal....
but hopefully when they renovate that zios building and the building
with the water tower on it + this mosaic, it will be very nice.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 4:08 PM

I am really digging that mosaic. It looks so much better than just a cement wall with water coming out of it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 10:53 PM
Meh

Yeah, I like it a lot. The fish, and the interaction with the water and how it carries through to the mosaic.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 5:10 AM

Not a big fan of the Centennial condo project, but I guess it adds some diversity to the building designs in Bricktown. They do seem to have a huge outdoor patio area on their Reno side which will be nice for Starbucks (?). JDM Place though is still the STANDARD for which all new Bricktown development needs to look up to, especially stuff with valuable canal frontage. Would love something like that with condos and canal-level retail/restaurant space on the lot by Zio's and the empty lot across from the ballpark.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 9:24 PM

I think the empty lot on the corner across from the ballpark is supposedly in the works for a 10+story residential tower?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral