HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 9:22 AM

vancouver radio hmm...

sooo 104.9 seems to no longer be Clear FM but a new thing called 104.9 FM the greatest hits of all time... they have a dj from 8 am to 5 pm!! that weird a show called the 80's at 8 and their website looks so cheap but its still rogers who owns it

weird change anyway

play lots of what you might call "am radio" music now

did they change to take on or take over from the Bridge? which was 600 am and changed to the peak one of the new FM stations that has yet to start on the airwaves?

there is a sample for the peak fm you can google it - sounds ok

could be a good station for Vancouver...

and than there is that other one the wave

so anyway when do these new stations start up? anyone know? can't find much info online other than the old news articles that said they were approved

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 9:28 AM

about the peak by themselves:

The Peak will be an ADULT ALTERNATIVE music intensive radio station that will be putting a huge emphasis on new and emerging artists with a secondary focus on alternative music from the 80's & 90's.

It's the only place you'll hear the hottest rock, acoustic, folk, world beats and much more, all on one station - setting a new standard for great music in Vancouver.

DJ's will be mature, articulate and professional - never wasting your time with useless banter and chatter - information and news will cover everything from local arts and environmental issues to gastronomical interests and the local music scene.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 9:33 AM

and speaking of radio does anyone listen to evolution 107.9? its pretty good its BCIT's station i must say its much better than CITR

http://www.evolution1079.com/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 9:46 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

i've only listened to three stations since i moved here...and even then its so sparse that i'm pretty sure i could care less about the radio.

as long as JackFM, Rock101, and JRFM don't go anywhere, i'll be okay.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 2:01 PM

i think the radio for vancouver is better than other cities ive been to. nebver heard of JRFM, whats that?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 7:26 PM

JR fm is new country. Calgary suburb music. Stay away!!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 8:36 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
JR fm is new country. Calgary suburb music. Stay away!!
this coming from a guy living closer to Calgary than the rest of us lol

yeah, JR is new country, they play some older stuff later on at night, but thats the drunk ex-Albertan in me

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 11:03 PM

i havent listened to the radio since i used to listen to 80's night on FM96 in london. i was in grade school sometime in the mid nineties.

now i only ever listen to internet radio and my mp3 player.

top 40 is for suckers

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 9:00 AM

Too bad the local campus stations can't afford to transmit at higher power so you don't have to be connected to cable to hear them. According to this site http://members.shaw.ca/nwbroadcasters/fmpage.htm CFML Evolution 107.9 pumps out a whopping 12 Watts, CJSF 450W, CITR 1800W. As a comparison, KPLU from Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma transmits at 64000W.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 2:56 AM

i hate to admit but i keep listening to 104.9 fm

i am getting into the oldies they are playing

its sort of like 650 cisl on the FM dial

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 4:59 AM

On a related note, most stations are finally getting around to transmitting RDS data. When I bought my K750i phone 3 years back (my first device with RDS support), the only info displayed was by 2 stations, and it was only the station name. Come to think of it, only this year did they really start to transmit song data and callsign.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 5:22 AM

[QUOTE=Distill3d;3848183]this coming from a guy living closer to Calgary than the rest of us lol

I think i live 4km closer to calgary than vancouver but i am born and raised in bc and own a home in van and here so i have not much love for anything east of the rockies compared to bc.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 7:37 AM

Would you laugh if I said I like CBC Radio 1 best?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkster1982 View Post
Would you laugh if I said I like CBC Radio 1 best?
I have friends like you. I do understaned but I was unfortunately forcefed radio 1 as a child for over a decade at high volumes so ya...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 12:27 AM

New FM rock station in local mix

Tune in Tokyo!

Well, not quite. But the already competitive radio market in Vancouver just got, well, a bit more competitive.

Billed as World Class Rock, The PEAK FM - owned by the Jim Pattison Group and broadcasting at 100.5 MHz with an adult album alternative (Triple A) format - launched here yesterday and, according to vice-president and general manager Gerry Siemens, will feature a variety of artists, such as Coldplay, Arcade Fire, Eddie Vedder, Feist, Tom Petty, Weezer and Tegan & Sara.

Siemens also says that the station will invest $5.2 million in local music talent over the next seven years via its Peak Performance initiative, a Canadian talent development program that's part of the station's licence.

"We're very excited and dedicated to this ... It will take the form of a search for talent, then we'll go through the Peak Performance boot camp, which will be a week-long, out-of-market exposure for 20 or so artists every year, and from there we'll boil it down to the top three who will share $275,000 in money for their career development."

The PEAK FM is the Pattison Group's second Vancouver FM station, as it currently operates new country station JR FM

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Entertainm...09346-sun.html

New FM station plays rock, pop and folk

Randy Shore, Vancouver Sun
Published: Friday, November 14, 2008

VANCOUVER - About the time you rolled out of bed this morning, Vancouver's newest radio station went on the air. The Peak, at 100.5 FM, aims to fill a void on the local radio dial with a combination of rock, folk and pop that digs way deeper than Top 40.

Core artists include U2, Radiohead, Coldplay, Matthew Good, Killers, Amy Winehouse, Beck and Counting Crows, among many others.

The station will also bring far more CanCon to the party than other stations in the market -- about 40 per cent.

Station owner the Jim Pattison Broadcast Group is making a commitment to new emerging artists and Canadian musicians with The Peak, according to morning-show host Chris Coburn.

"It's really unradio," Coburn said of the Peak format.

No clowning, no cartoon sound effects and no endless talk.

"It's for people who really like music and who want to hear something they haven't already heard a thousand times," he explained.

Coburn makes the switch this week from the city's country station JR FM, where he has worked his chops on-air for 15 years.

"I'm pretty excited," he said. "It's the first time in my career that I will get to play stuff that is in my iPod, that I actually listen to.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...a-f6719662bedd

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 3:11 AM

radiohead! definitely adding that station to my presets. prob remove either the beat or crave due to the garbage that they play. vancouver now has 2 stations (other being rock 101)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 3:14 AM

Heres a link to their top 30 songs at the moment: http://thepeak.fm/pages/top-thirty/

Another name that makes this the best station, My Morning Jacket. Finally a station that plays some good modern day music.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 8:38 PM

Canada's second Virgin Radio station set to launch in Vancouver today

Friday, 09 January 2009
The short-lived 95 Crave, which replaced Z95.3FM in mid-2007, is being replaced by Canada's second Virgin Radio station January 8.

Virgin Radio 953 will feature some 95 Crave radio shows and introduce new weekend shows, including a Saturday night dance segment and American Top 40 and U.K. Hit 40 shows on Sunday.

The new format, launched in Toronto in August, will also introduce Ryan Seacrest into the Vancouver market with shows on weekday evenings and on Sunday afternoons.

The move is part of a new partnership between Astral Media and Virgin Radio International. It's one of a string of changes to hit the station in recent years.

Operating as Z95.3 since 1996, the station began as a contemporary hit radio station and was one of the most listened to stations for five years. In 2002, it focused on music from the '90s before switching formats in 2004 and 2005 to try to reverse its declining market share.

Following Astral Media's mid-2007 acquisition of Standard Radio, which owned Z95.3, the station switched to 95 Crave, which targeted 25- to 45-year-old women.

http://www.bivinteractive.com/index....1355&Itemid=32

Vancouver's Crave FM becomes Virgin Radio

Astral Media today announced the launch of its second commercial FM radio station under license with Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Radio International.

Virgin Radio Vancouver will begin broadcasting at 4:00 p.m. today at 95.3 FM replacing Crave FM. The station will focus on the Hot AC format with a target of 25-49 year-old adults.

The Virgin Vancouver line-up will consist of Nat and Drew weekday mornings, Sarah from 9 am till noon, Kiah from noon till 3 and The Rush with Buzz and KJ afternoons between 3 and 6 pm. From 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., Monday to Friday, it will be Ryan Seacrest's syndicated evening radio program which delivers the latest entertainment news, celebrity gossip, hit music and light-hearted commentary.

Weekend features include Saturday Night Fever, American Top 40 Countdown and the
UK Hit 40 Sunday nights at 8 pm.

"We're thrilled to have Virgin Radio 953 in Vancouver. It guarantees frequent loud parties, excessive long distance calling from our phones and hit music playing day and night. In other situations, this could be seen as a negative, but to be honest this city needed shaking up!" said Program Director Ronnie Stanton.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/3290/281/

All new Virgin Radio Vancouver moves into swingin' pad at 953

Astral Media launches Canada's second Virgin Radio station

VANCOUVER, Jan. 8 /CNW/ - It's a tight market for vacancies, but the all
new Virgin Radio Vancouver is pleased to announce it has found a swingin' pad
at 95.3 on the FM dial. This is Canada's second Virgin Radio station to launch
after Virgin Radio 999 Toronto, all part of a commercial association to
develop Virgin Radio in Canada entered into by Astral Media and Richard
Branson's Virgin Radio International. The station will flip from its current
occupant 95 Crave to Virgin Radio 953 at 4 pm today.
All future correspondence can now be addressed to Virgin Radio 953
including stuff for Breakfast with Nat and Drew weekday mornings, Sarah from 9
am till noon, Kiah from noon till 3 and The Rush with Buzz and KJ afternoons
between 3 and 6 pm.
In addition, anything for the world's most ubiquitous personality Ryan
Seacrest can be forwarded to his new show on Virgin Radio 953, weekday
evenings between 6 and 9 pm.
Virgin Radio 953 plans to do some significant renovations, which include
adding a new weekend dance show, Saturday Night Fever, which fortunately will
run Saturday nights, American Top 40 - the Ryan Seacrest (there he is again)
countdown spectacular Sundays at 4 pm, and The UK Hit 40 Sunday nights at 8
pm.
Program Director Ronnie Stanton says, "We're thrilled to have Virgin
Radio 953 in Vancouver. It guarantees frequent loud parties, excessive long
distance calling from our phones and hit music playing day and night. In other
situations, this could be seen as a negative, but to be honest this city
needed shaking up!"
Virgin Radio 953 will bring with it an extensive hit music selection
which has been packed in milk crates for the move. Have a look at the new
place at www.virginradio.ca.

http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archiv.../08/c5819.html

Last edited by SpongeG; Jan 12, 2009 at 12:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 8:40 PM

I used to listen to Virgin UK online all the time - its now called absolute radio and its ok - the Virgin here doesn't seem anything like Virgin UK but cool to see the UK top 40 show here in Canada

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 11:17 PM

YES! Virgin's here at last! Perhaps the beginning of decent radio out here? I still listen to Capital Radio via the internet because the local stations here are just so lame. The press release for Virgin looks very hopeful.
Are they keeping the same lame DJs from Crave?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment