HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 1:34 AM

Man, so many missed opportunities at DePaul. Is that art museum some kind of adaptive reuse or new construction?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 3:45 AM
tilted & shifted

^It's new.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 3:50 AM
Show me the blueprints

Well at least we won't have to wait for a style cycle for it to look stale, it looks stale right out of the box. Brick, brick and more brick. A big, banal brick campus is soooo exciting.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 3:02 AM
TL;DR

Hey, at least the Theatre School is pretty sick.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 3:48 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

At least they aren't putting fake shutters on the art museum.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 9:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....--but-now.html

August 08, 2010

Reflective giants: Chicago's building boom, now nearing its end, has layered a new generation of glass towers into the skyline

By Blair Kamin

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 4:29 PM

It is interesting how the different building booms of Chicago have well defined exterior characteristics.

brick and limestone of pre-depression highrises to brown and black steel and glass buildings of the 60's and 70's to the colorful granite and marble buildings of the 80's and 90's, finally followed by all the glass towers of the 2000's.

I think it's nice we got a layer of glass on the skyline, certainly it has its benefits, but I'm hoping something different will proliferate the next building boom....something that adds more color and texture.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 6:58 PM

Market at lakeshore east

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...n_July2010.pdf

In depth plan for Lake Shore Flyover project. Not sure if it was posted or not.
Just thought I'd comment on this. I really don't understand why this wasn't built long ago. Don't you think the city would want to avoid liabilities of poor design with the current configuration? Don't know about you guys, but I use this path daily. 10% of the time I've passed through, I've seen some sort of mishap occur. The remaining times are all close calls. It almost seems like the $40 million to build this is a steal compared to lawsuits about to follow as congestion increases.

The only other area I can think of that could use major improvements is the access point at Oak Street. A twin ramp is necessary to facilitate entering and exiting for the southbound lane. The current configuration creates a choke point and left turns.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 10:29 AM

^ The city would not have liability for such things. If it did it would have been bankrupt long ago.

Has anyone ever refused to get off (or hidden on) a bascule bridge when it lifted? Have the police ever come to drag the person away? I'm surprised I've never seen a photo of anyone hidden on the lower level of a raised LSD bridge, high in the sky and thumbing their nose at the world. Wouldn't Spider Dan try something like that?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 12:56 PM

What really? I saw someone busted by the cops last week trying to race across the Mich Ave bridge on a bike wile it was raising. So the answer to your question is yes, and yes.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^ The city would not have liability for such things. If it did it would have been bankrupt long ago.

Has anyone ever refused to get off (or hidden on) a bascule bridge when it lifted? Have the police ever come to drag the person away? I'm surprised I've never seen a photo of anyone hidden on the lower level of a raised LSD bridge, high in the sky and thumbing their nose at the world. Wouldn't Spider Dan try something like that?
somebody actually lived in the lsd bridge

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...er-trespassing

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 11:29 PM

Hmmm, a space heater and tv would not look all that out of place. I'd say it's doable if you are out and about during the day when maintenance crews would come by.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 1:16 AM

On my way home from work I passed by the Esquire on Oak Street. Some of the marquee was lit. Went on a bike ride and when I passed by around 8:00 pm the sign was entirely lit up. Ran to get my camera, but as I stepped out the front door, I see it go out, except for one string of red neon. Damn, maybe tomorrow. I'm curious about this place. Currently it has one lone retail tenant upstairs.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:13 AM

^I walked down Oak Street the other day for the first time in years. Kinda quiet it seemed. Everything move over to Rush?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:29 AM

There's pretty much been a ton of reshuffling. Ever since Barney's moved across the street, they left a huge void, and currently 1 store has filled that spot. 2 more stores will move in and finish their build outs by the end of this year. In addition, two more stores are moving on Rush. It looks really bad closer to Michigan Ave since a few of the ground floor spaces remain vacant, yet upper floors are still occupied. I believe retail vacancy in that area is running between 5-8% Fortunately, these vacant spaces are highly marketable, but I'm sure overpriced in rent.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
There's pretty much been a ton of reshuffling. Ever since Barney's moved across the street, they left a huge void, and currently 1 store has filled that spot. 2 more stores will move in and finish their build outs by the end of this year. In addition, two more stores are moving on Rush. It looks really bad closer to Michigan Ave since a few of the ground floor spaces remain vacant, yet upper floors are still occupied. I believe retail vacancy in that area is running between 5-8% Fortunately, these vacant spaces are highly marketable, but I'm sure overpriced in rent.
What stores are moving to Rush? And where?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I am not sure of exact details of the locations but I heard the YSL should be reopened by September, not sure if in its same location or a new one? I also have heard that Escada plans to move from its Michigan Avenue location but I am not sure where it plans to go. I have also heard that Dolce and Gabbana, Dior, Christian Louboutin, and 7 For All Mankind are planning stores for downtown Oak/Rush streets? Not sure of anymore or any other details?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 6:24 AM

It's interesting how, as the masses-oriented stores continue their march up North Michigan (Paul Stuart --> Best Buy; Lord & Taylor --> American Girl; etc.) and invade "haute couture" space, the haute-couture stores are gravitating to the more neighborhood-like Rush district. As a long term trend, it evidences growth, expansion, investment, and new construction; it's very much what one hopes for any downtown's development.

As one example, it's nice to see Walton Street - what I think was kind of a forgotten stepchild and uninviting one-block stretch of it - get so many additions recently: Lululemon, Marc Jacobs, Sprinkles, Hendricks, and earlier, Gaylord and Burton.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 12:44 PM

Yeah, Walton looks much better these days. Even with a hulking parking structure anchoring Walton and Rush, it's still a vibrant and busy street corner. I'll have to check the permits on the stores under construction to find out exactly what's going in.

Here's another update from the area, Ogden School

Source: Me

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development