HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:40 PM

Just sent an email. EVERYONE should too. No point in sitting back and crying amongst yourselves.

As far as i'm concerned, I am done with this building and defending it if we end up with some disgusting thin needle at the top. The height needs to be officially reduced, it's NOT 1,776 anymore. They need to change their marketing and revise there press releases of it being the tallest building in America or the Western Hemisphere because it's NOT. POS cheap, tacky developers and their watered down building. I was just recovering from my disappointment that the striking 2,000ft kissing towers by Norman Foster (which would probably have been complete by now) weren't selected, this mess that is the WTC complex and finally warming up to this and now bam I don't like it anymore.

It will look so awful and out of proportion. The ugly needle thing works a little better on towers like One Bryant Park because that doesn't have a flat roof. Same as the ESB. It will look awful on this.

Hopefully something nice and tall rises in Midtown.

Last edited by 599GTO; Mar 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:41 PM

I work for Toyota as a 3D modeler. We are constantly making fixes for vehicles which have already gone into production, because there are some problems that simply don't present themselves on paper. With that said, it's rather embarrassing that this particular problem was caught so late. The process for maintaining the radome should have been tested and finalized years ago.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:54 PM
BANNED

Someone answer my question, is this official or NOT? I'm emailing them right now if it's the last damn thing I do. Everyone in this forum HAS to email them if you care about this tower. If I curse on this forum will I get banned? If so, I would've been long gone.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Someone answer my question, is this official or NOT? I'm emailing them right now if it's the last damn thing I do. Everyone in this forum HAS to email them if you care about this tower. If I curse on this forum will I get banned? If so, I would've been long gone.

No, it has not been officially written in stone. The head of the developers have to give it a OK. But MOST LIKELY, it will happen. That's why we need to do everything in our power to stop it RIGHT NOW. This is the new face of America that we will have to live with and see for decades and decades and decades to come. Now is the time.

& Not necessarily. Just make sure it isn't too graphic of profanity.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire state of mind View Post
From Durst

RE: Antenna on one WTC

Thank you for your note about One World Trade Center.  The decision to eliminate the Radome was not made for financial reasons or even aesthetics. We eliminated the Radome because it could not be maintained or serviced.  Radome simply does not work on the spire of One World Trade Center.   The Spire will be lit with LEDs, have a beacon on the top and look terrific.

Best,

Jordan Barowitz
Durst should quickly release official renders showing the new spire so we can decide if it will "look terrific" (both daytime and night time renders).

Who knows, maybe it won't be so bad.

But until renders are released, we can only speculate that it'll look worse.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:27 PM

I am sending them an email later today. Anyone here who gives a crap about how this building will turn out needs to do the same. Time to put our money where out mouth is everyone! Show this Durst group that money should not trump design. And for anyone who thinks that a skeletonized, bare antenna/spire would look good with this tower, think again. It would look ridiculous. The spire IS a major integral part of the final design and the appearance of the building. Again I say, this is YET another example of the complete missed opportunity that has occured with the design of Ground Zero.

There was an opportunity to build big, bold, and cutting edge. But we ended up with second tier designs and "settled" because of political cronyism and backroom deals. Politicians should have stayed the hell out of it and let the architects and the public decide what was build there. Again, if ANY site in the world was screaming for the world's tallest building, this was it!! But nope, Dubai holds that title. They didn't rebuild the Twin Towers, which the public wanted, they got rid of outdoor observation decks, and the restaurant at the top, and now they are talking about getting rid of one of the major design elements?! Well, it will be a travesty if they do. So I will be telling them this in my email to them! Where the HELL has the public input been on all of this? Oh wait, there was none, if the public had a say the Twin Towers would have been rebuilt and we would have been saved from all this ridiculous-ness.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
I am sending them an email later today. Anyone here who gives a crap about how this building will turn out needs to do the same. Time to put our money where out mouth is everyone! Show this Durst group that money should not trump design. And for anyone who thinks that a skeletonized, bare antenna/spire would look good with this tower, think again. It would look ridiculous. The spire IS a major integral part of the final design and the appearance of the building. Again I say, this is YET another example of the complete missed opportunity that has occured with the design of Ground Zero.

There was an opportunity to build big, bold, and cutting edge. But we ended up with second tier designs and "settled" because of political cronyism and backroom deals. Politicians should have stayed the hell out of it and let the architects and the public decide what was build there. Again, if ANY site in the world was screaming for the world's tallest building, this was it!! But nope, Dubai holds that title. They didn't rebuild the Twin Towers, which the public wanted, they got rid of outdoor observation decks, and the restaurant at the top, and now they are talking about getting rid of one of the major design elements?! Well, it will be a travesty if they do. So I will be telling them this in my email to them! Where the HELL has the public input been on all of this? Oh wait, there was none, if the public had a say the Twin Towers would have been rebuilt and we would have been saved from all this ridiculous-ness.
Will you stop with the Twin Towers argument? It's over okay. We will not see Twin Towers ever again at least not in anybody's lifetime.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Will you stop with the Twin Towers argument? It's over okay. We will not see Twin Towers ever again at least not in anybody's lifetime.

You don't have to get so snappy. I was making a point that the powers that be at the site should simply stop butting in with the design and listen to what the architects and people want. I know the Twins won't be rebuilt, I was simply making a point. I support 1WTC, but they need to leave it ALONE and stop constantly changing the design!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 7:43 PM

Over in skyscraper city they keep talking about how they arent changing the actual design just changing the material.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
With the Burj Khalifa at 829.84 m (2,723 ft), there is no way that 1WTC could ever be in contention for the world's tallest building.
Of course not, LESS out of contention. We already know it isn't going to be close, but the loss of the spire in the height would make the number even worse off than it already is. This wouldn't even be close to the world's tallest building.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:01 PM
Metal Up Your !

What's their email address? I'm also highly upset about the spire change, and I would love to help you guys out :/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:04 PM
Bionic Boogie

DSC_0085 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:05 PM

info@durst.org

jbarowitz@durst.org

These are the emails that have been cited by Otie and others previously in this thread. I just now sent two emails to each of these addresses, hopefully they will answer.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:19 PM

So i emailed him yesterday and today i got the same email as everyone else

Dear David,

Thank you for your note about One World Trade Center. The decision to eliminate the Radome was not made for financial reasons or even aesthetics. We eliminated the Radome because it could not be maintained or repaired when it got damaged. Radome simply does not work on the spire of One World Trade Center. The Spire will be lit with LEDs, have a beacon on the top and look terrific.

Its kind of sad to know that they're not even paying attention to all of this. I never mentioned in my email that they were changing it for aesthetics so it proves that he just skims and sends the same reply to everyone. We need to do something more for them to take it seriously.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:22 PM

Of course they won't listen to you. You are a normal person not their shareholders. Basic economics explains that companies only listen to their shareholders. Their loyalty is to them not to you.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:23 PM
BANNED

I can't think about this. I'll give them a piece of my mind later. Carlos, do you think you could get a closeup of the new glass coming in?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:31 PM
BANNED

Just now still tried to call AGAIN TODAY and THEY STILL WOULDN'T ANSWER!

I say it's time we take it to the streets with signs outside their little office. They want to ignore us, and we need to show them that isn't going to happen.

And I am sick of Durst giving every single person the same reply... They are just showing that all they care about is their own statements.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:34 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
I can't think about this. I'll give them a piece of my mind later. Carlos, do you think you could get a closeup of the new glass coming in?
There is no new curtain wall installation yet. It will resume in a week of two!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:34 PM

So when do we get a new render of the spire/antenna from them. Carlos keep up the good work. We need those pictures badly.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:41 PM

^^^
I just hope it looks similar to the original design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive