HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 7:06 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Getting down to the nitty gritty. I am wondering now that the PB is open does anyone think that there needs to be better signage indicating where the bike lane is versus the pedestrian lanes?
Yup, it needs more than just the bike stencil at the ends of the bridge. There should be a continuous line down the middle of the lane plus stencils indicating bikes only at a standard distance through it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 10:45 PM
Editor

A couple more pics for good measure

Peace Bridge by Carl Carl, on Flickr

Peace Bridge by Carl Carl, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
So apparently the city and bylaw have been by this morning to put up "crosswalk closed" signs on 8th street and have a bylaw officer near the bridge to ticket offenders.
Turns out that the bridge isn't really to get people across the river but to cull the herd and generate revenue.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Turns out that the bridge isn't really to get people across the river but to cull the herd and generate revenue.
When you have ticked off a huge portion of the people in the city by building a really expensive bridge what move could be better then getting the others choked by ticketing them when they try to use it.

This is the cities fault for not having enough sense to realize they needed a crosswalk or bridge across Memorial directly across from the Peace Bridge. But as this city sometimes tends to do, they will try and ignore their blame in this and shift it elsewhere.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
When you have ticked off a huge portion of the people in the city by building a really expensive bridge what move could be better then getting the others choked by ticketing them when they try to use it.

This is the cities fault for not having enough sense to realize they needed a crosswalk or bridge across Memorial directly across from the Peace Bridge. But as this city sometimes tends to do, they will try and ignore their blame in this and shift it elsewhere.
As I understand it, they had a public consultation and the public decided that they didn't want the existing crosswalk moved. Is it possible the public was wrong, and knowledgeable engineers and city employees should have just gone ahead with it anyways?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
As I understand it, they had a public consultation and the public decided that they didn't want the existing crosswalk moved. Is it possible the public was wrong, and knowledgeable engineers and city employees should have just gone ahead with it anyways?
Yes. The public is generally stupid / selfish / short-sighted.

Anyone that disagreed with having a crossing directly across from the bridge falls into that category.

That being said, I assume that it was a "knowledgeable engineer and city employee" that approved the signaled crossing a block away well after the Peace Bridge location was known... Why'd they do that in the first place?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:03 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Yes. The public is generally stupid / selfish / short-sighted.

Anyone that disagreed with having a crossing directly across from the bridge falls into that category.

That being said, I assume that it was a "knowledgeable engineer and city employee" that approved the signaled crossing a block away well after the Peace Bridge location was known... Why'd they do that in the first place?
I'm pretty sure that crossing has existed well before any plans for a bridge in that location were approved.

I believe prior to it being lights it was the standard pedestrian crossing lights with signage.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
They did, but it in my opionion it was a flawed consultation. Too few people, not enough pedestrian representation, bad format (built in split vote) and poorly worded questions. (Read the posted results on the city website and make your own conclusion).

With all of that said, I'm not sure something like this should every be put to a public vote. Public consultation should be tempered when it comes to public safety. (You could probably survey 1000 drivers in Calgary and end up doing away with speed limits).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:14 PM
City of Blinding Lights

WOW SURREAL! Thos pictures are awesome! Well done!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:19 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Not to take anything away from Surreal, but those aren't his pictures. Those are taken by flickr user 'Carl Carl', you can see that information under each shot.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:40 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Yeah, but he posted them like a boss.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:41 PM
Original Member since '99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Yeah, but he posted them like a boss.
well said

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:42 PM

The overwhelming tone of survey (June 2010) results was displeasure overall with Peace Bridge construction and annoyance that it was over-budget and behind schedule. In this context, many residents thought it was a waste of money to close the much loved 7th Street crosswalk, only to move it a block away. Respondents were torn between:
-keeping the 7th Street crosswalk
-moving the crosswalk to 8th Street
-having crosswalks at 7th and 8th Streets (an option that the city would not allow because of potential disruption of traffic on Memorial)

As a resident of Sunnyside (in fact, I live just off 8th Street), I'd like to have crosswalks at both 7th and 8th Street due to the cost of removing a perfectly good crosswalk, and because I don't really mind if I occasionally have to wait 10 seconds for a pedestrian to cross when I'm driving down Memorial. In fact, sometimes I rely on a pedestrian to push the button before I can turn! Sunnyside can be difficult to access by road due to turn restrictions on 10th and Memorial, as well as c-train crossings. More power to pedests!

That said, if I can only have 1, and the city decides that the expense of removing a perfectly useful crosswalk is worth the cost of waiting 10 seconds for a pedestrian to cross now and then, put the crosswalk at 8th Street.

http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis...f&noredirect=1

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:57 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post

As a resident of Sunnyside (in fact, I live just off 8th Street), I'd like to have crosswalks at both 7th and 8th Street due to the cost of removing a perfectly good crosswalk, and because I don't really mind if I occasionally have to wait 10 seconds for a pedestrian to cross when I'm driving down Memorial. In fact, sometimes I rely on a pedestrian to push the button before I can turn! Sunnyside can be difficult to access by road due to turn restrictions on 10th and Memorial, as well as c-train crossings. More power to pedests!

That said, if I can only have 1, and the city decides that the expense of removing a perfectly useful crosswalk is worth the cost of waiting 10 seconds for a pedestrian to cross now and then, put the crosswalk at 8th Street.
This is what it is like in Vancouver (the bolded part) When a pedestrian crosses, it is seen as a good thing as all of the motorists on the side streets get to cross as well!

What is the big deal with memorial having and additional crossing? It is one of the busiest pedestrian routes in the city and half the time the traffic is at a stand still anyway. We need more pedestrian crossings in this city. As the city begins to fill in more pedestrian crossings will pop up. All we can do is continue being pedestrians and things will continue to change if we demand them.

What is done is done for now, and there are too many factors to why there is no crossing at the peace bridge. You cant just say "silly hall didn't think of it," because they did; and, some of the closed minded motorists and angry taxpayers veto'd it. The city probably decided to let it blow over for a bit.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:11 PM

I'm I the only one here who suspects KW and RY are one in the same?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:20 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I would have no problem with two pedestrian crossings, however would a good middle-ground solution be to remove the lights at 7th, move them to 8th, and in place of the lights go back to a pedestrian triggered crossing at 7th?

Anyway you slice it people are going to FREAK if they go with two crossings. I highly doubt it happens.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:27 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
I would have no problem with two pedestrian crossings, however would a good middle-ground solution be to remove the lights at 7th, move them to 8th, and in place of the lights go back to a pedestrian triggered crossing at 7th?

Anyway you slice it people are going to FREAK if they go with two crossings. I highly doubt it happens.
I know it is crazy that we would have pedestrian crossings at TWO locations. I mean, who walks anyway?

If we were a serious pedestrian city, there would be crosswalks at every single intersection, 7th, 8th and 9th.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:32 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Not to take anything away from Surreal, but those aren't his pictures. Those are taken by flickr user 'Carl Carl', you can see that information under each shot.
Typically anything Surreal touches turns to gold...in this case Carl Carl gets the Wiserhood clap

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:04 PM

If they did go with two lights, you would think that they could synchronize them to essentially only make one break in traffic when both signals are in use.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:13 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I'm I the only one here who suspects KW and RY are one in the same?
Here's hoping; at least RY is positive.

Last edited by kw5150; Mar 30, 2012 at 8:36 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates