HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 7:53 AM
passion for patterns

you can't help but be proud of denver's effort. a denverite should be extra proud - here's a city that is truly progressive and a vanguard in turning the sunbelt into something more sustainable.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 8:33 AM
Up Up and Away

Another great thread. I look forward to watching FastTraks move forward. This is a great opportunity for the Denver Metro Area.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 3:08 PM

A different idea for Union Station:

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:16 PM
Robotic Construction

DenverTrans,
That was also my original proposal I emailed to the Mayor, RTD, Friends of Union Station, the Union Station public input committee as well as to the transportation writers at the Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News. I like your work and proposal of an elevated through station with elevated tracks.

RTD and the special transportation assist to teh Denver Mayor have both contacted me and informed me that they have considered this elevated through-line concept. They determined it would cost as much as tunneling and the current rising cost on construction materials is simply making those options unrealistic.

However, The reason I have considered the current Union Station proposal, is because the current plan for at-grade tracks, would allow the possibility of the lines being elevated in the future. The elevated lines could be constructed above the operating lines at some future point in time, with little or no disruption to service. Furthermore, the current light rail alignment will allow for all light rail lines to be extended to the north in the future as through-lines. There is also going to be land preserved for a third rail platform next to the light rail platforms, for a through-line regional Front Range commuter rail using the consolidated mainline.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPVLIVE View Post
Nice thread SnyderBock - However, your numbers on the Southwest lines ridership are way off. RTD was touting 35,721 daily on the Southwest line pre T-Rex and something like 29,200 post. Current estimates system wide are 62,000+ daily. I can't wait until some actual construction starts next year on the West line!
How is this projection for you?
The Southeast Light Rail Line has been open for about a year. It was projected to have 33,000 daily riders by 2025, but is already averaging somewhere between 28,000-32,000 daily riders in it's first year of service, the last time I checked. That would put updated 2025 ridership numbers (after the FasTracks improvements and extension) to somewhere between 38,000-42,000 daily riders.

The total post FasTracks rail system should expect a system-wide rail daily ridership in 2020 of somewhere between 140,000-180,000 passengers. A 2030 system-wide daily ridership projection would likely be between 180,000-220,000 passengers. This does not include BRT passengers.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 3:53 AM

Great design.
Impressive transportation system.
How many KM or miles will it be???

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post

You can't have your cake and eat it too, and I think those f'ing morons should finally discover that. I think anyone who lives outside of the RTD District should be required to purchase a parking sticker to use RTD park and rides, pure and simple.

Aaron (Glowrock)
What about the people who sent their mail-in ballot in to vote yes for RTD even though they knew it was a lost cause.

" There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not fear to do or say what you believe." - Winston Churchill

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 5:12 AM
Robotic Construction

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_of_Darkness View Post
Great design.
Impressive transportation system.
How many KM or miles will it be???
I think it's currently operating with 35.2 Miles (5.5 Mile Central Corridor; 8.7 Mile SW Corridor; 1.8 Mile Central Platte Valley Extension; 19.2 Mile SE Corridor) = 56.65 km.

FasTracks will add an additional 119 Miles (191.51 km) of rail by 2016.

That means Denver will have a 2017 operating system of 154.2 Miles (248.16 km) of rail (EMU, DMU and LRT).

There will also be an 18 Mile (28.97 km) line of full BRT, operating just as a rail line would with it's own dedicated ROW and full transit stations - in case you want to count that too.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2007, 11:18 PM
Robotic Construction

Here's what is probably the favored alternative for the Boulder BRT line. It's been narrowed down to Alternative 2 and Alternative 4. This is a map showing improvements under Alternative 4:

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 7:31 PM
Robotic Construction

On the 35 miles of light rail already open, daily ridership is close to the 2020 projected daily ridership. There are another 34 LRT vehicles on order for this existing 35 miles of track - which should further boost the daily capacity significantly and thus boost the daily ridership numbers. There is also another LRT line of 11.1 miles due to open in 2014. This is the West Corridor LRT line and it will be the first new line to open as part of the massive FasTracks system. This line also has an additional 34 LRT vehicles on order.

Here is a graph showing the top 10 systems of this type in the USA. Denver appears to be positioned to leapfrog Dallas and Saint Louis and be in position to challenge Philadelphia in LRT ridership by 2015. By 2017 and the completion of FasTracks, Denver will probably have surpassed Philadelphia as well.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 6:52 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

SnyderBock, remember that Dallas is continually adding to the DART as well, and I believe St. Louis is doing so too... Denver's system is going to be very good when it's done, but let's not get too gung-ho about overall ridership rankings...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 8:01 PM
Robotic Construction

I'm fully aware of Dallas' and Saint Louis' systems being expanded. Your right, it will be hard to project how the ridership rankings turnout, and ultimately is beside the point. I didn't want to get into rankings too much, just thought that was interesting^

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 8:19 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
SnyderBock, remember that Dallas is continually adding to the DART as well, and I believe St. Louis is doing so too... Denver's system is going to be very good when it's done, but let's not get too gung-ho about overall ridership rankings...

Aaron (Glowrock)
also, Philadelphia's ranking does not include NJ Transit's Atlantic City line or PATCO's Speedline.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 5:31 PM
cities|transit|croissants

^
Or Philadelphia's subway, el, or regional rail. Those statistics are light rail ONLY.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 8:33 PM
Robotic Construction

Yes, they are Light Rail only. These are ridership numbers for "systems of this type." By each city, it is described as to what exactly is included. This makes these rankings even less relevant.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 1:14 AM

Philadelphia is an odd duck with regards to light rail.

50,000 of the riders are on the Subway Surface lines (aka Green Lines). These are really five streetcar (trolley) lines that funnel into a downtown subway tunnel that is 2.5 miles long.

I ride the trolley every day to work. It averages 10 mph, and stops on every corner. Even in the subway, it only averages 10 mph because the line was designed with numerous sharp bends and primitive interlockings. But it is much better than the bus.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 2:33 AM
TL;DR

Boston has a similar streetcar/subway system for the Green Line and its branches.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 11:56 PM
Robotic Construction

What about the idea of running the 16th Street mall free shuttle, all the way to Cherry Creek? Or at the Free mall shuttle terminus at Civic center Station, run a streetcar from there to Cherry Creek?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 4:02 AM
Up Up and Away

I would like to see a streetcar from Union Station to Cherry Creek. I think it would do very well to connect two of the larger tourist draws in Denver.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 10:27 AM
Robotic Construction

RTD-Denver Mass-Transit Ridership Up 13%

Ridership is way up... As FasTracks corridors start coming online, this will start getting very interesting!

Quote:
Gas prices cited for record ridership in '08

By Kevin Flynn, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
More Local News

If it seems a little crowded on that bus and your getting a bit familiar with the light rail rider crammed in next to you, it's because RTD ridership is up 13 percent over last year.

RTD's bus, light rail and special services logged almost 100 million riders in the 12-month period through February, the agency said Tuesday.... [read on]

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
Ridership is way up... As FasTracks corridors start coming online, this will start getting very interesting!
When - and where - is the next step of construction going to begin? The West Line is supposed to begin development fairly soon (2008) correct?

After getting used to the "never-ending" construction of T-REX for several years - it seems like we've been in a lull that last 2 years as we wait for the next round of development, which I'm curiously looking forward to.

Any new news?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation