HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 11:26 PM

Cool!

Here's their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chimn...87841184561045

In some of their earlier posts it looks like they had opened a pop-up shop around Christmas time and it was pretty successful.

I've never had a "Chimney" cake before, but they look good!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
They've done a lot of renovations lately and Oxford has said they're trying to bring Square One up to the level of Yorkdale (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle19186358/. With Simons and Holt Renfrew coming the gap between those two malls is closing.
As someone who has worked in both Square One and Yorkdale, and has been to both in the last 6 months, they have a loooooong way to go at Square One. I love Square One but Yorkdale is about 15 years ahead in gentrification...and aside from the expansion that opened in 2001 Square One doesn't have the epic ceiling height that makes Yorkdale so special.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 12:02 AM

I was at Bayshore again today at lunch and saw Claire on the 2nd floor besides Steve Madden. Look to be a gift shop...I don't recall seeing this here before although I do remember seeing Claire somewhere on the first floor before.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 10:42 PM

Couple of new stores coming soon: Journey's on 1st floor, close to HMV and Impression Plus on 2nd floor, close to Winners.

Yankee Candle is also coming on the 2nd floor, close to Swarovski...Style Exchange on the 3rd floor is closing soon so big sale. There is now also a lounge for families and kids to hang out on the 3rd floor. It doesn't look like the 3rd floor will be busy anytime soon, not until Wal-Mart opens I think.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 12:15 AM

The last of the old parking deck is finally down. will a new parking deck go up ir is this being cleardc for potential expansion of the mall at the west end of the mall?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 11:01 PM

Hot Topic is coming to the 1st floor, towards H&M.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 6:28 PM

Yankee Candle is now open.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:58 PM

and now I know that Yankee Candle is a thing, so thanks for that!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 6:36 AM

Hot Topic? Yankee Candle? Bayshore is STRUGGLING.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
Hot Topic? Yankee Candle? Bayshore is STRUGGLING.
Unfortunately I think you are right. I stopped by at lunch and there is really no new stores worth discussing. Impression Plus just opened on 2nd floor towards Winners and it is a cell phone accessories shop! There is sign a new clothing store on the 3rd floor but that looks to be an off-shoot of White House Black Market (or maybe the other way around)

This Xmas should be interesting.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Unfortunately I think you are right. I stopped by at lunch and there is really no new stores worth discussing. Impression Plus just opened on 2nd floor towards Winners and it is a cell phone accessories shop! There is sign a new clothing store on the 3rd floor but that looks to be an off-shoot of White House Black Market (or maybe the other way around)

This Xmas should be interesting.
It isn't struggling nearly as bad as some of the other suburban malls, but the construction and loss of anchors is definitely not helping it.

From my recollection of similar size metropolitan areas in the US, the same thing is happening - in most cases, only 1 or 2 malls are thriving and the rest are stagnant or struggling badly. Often things have changed as areas change in demographics or tourism shifts. Wasn't the Rideau Centre struggling through most of the 1990s?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 3:30 AM

I really don't think Bayshore is struggling. I don't know how Walmart will affect the malls high-brow aspirations, but it should help traffic. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed by the expansion. The new section feels like a cave (or an afterthought). It still seems to be busy every time I go though...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 4:08 AM

Anyone who has been to the third floor of Bayshore in the last 6 months knows the mall is in desperate times. A majority of the stores are either boarded up, or their windows are just displays of posters and manequins to serve as advertisements for stores located elsewhere in the mall. There aren't many actual businesses left on the third floor.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Anyone who has been to the third floor of Bayshore in the last 6 months knows the mall is in desperate times. A majority of the stores are either boarded up, or their windows are just displays of posters and manequins to serve as advertisements for stores located elsewhere in the mall. There aren't many actual businesses left on the third floor.
You're right. The third floor is a disappointment. In other malls the top floor is where you find higher end stores. From the time they painted up there beige, making it look dated already, I was disappointed. Now with all the empty stores I'm even more disappointed. But overall it's a good mall. I imagine they have a plan.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 1:29 PM

Quote:
In my opinion a lot of the stores that you may be talking about have moved into new, renovated spaces on the first or second floor, specifically in the expansion. I don't doubt that new retailers to the mall would prefer to be on the first or second floors as it stands now. But with Wal-Mart opening only on the third floor (unlike how the old Zellers was on multiple floors) the third floor will see a lot more foot traffic. The third floor also seems bare because the location of the old food court has no tenants yet.

As for Yankee Candle, I believe that is the first one in Ottawa and the second Hot Topic (other being at the outlets). There are many 'firsts' to Ottawa in Bayshore, Vans, Ziumez, White House Black Market, H&M, plus others. It is really the go-to mall for people in Barrhaven, Kanata and Nepean. Of course most malls will seem quiet during the day on weekdays (M-Th) but are a lot busier Friday and the weekends.

If anyone has access to or knows where to find information on sales per square foot for the regional malls I would be interested in looking at this especially for the 2015 summer months. (I may have seen Rocketphish post something like this before). Thanks.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
In my opinion a lot of the stores that you may be talking about have moved into new, renovated spaces on the first or second floor, specifically in the expansion. I don't doubt that new retailers to the mall would prefer to be on the first or second floors as it stands now. But with Wal-Mart opening only on the third floor (unlike how the old Zellers was on multiple floors) the third floor will see a lot more foot traffic. The third floor also seems bare because the location of the old food court has no tenants yet.

As for Yankee Candle, I believe that is the first one in Ottawa and the second Hot Topic (other being at the outlets). There are many 'firsts' to Ottawa in Bayshore, Vans, Ziumez, White House Black Market, H&M, plus others. It is really the go-to mall for people in Barrhaven, Kanata and Nepean. Of course most malls will seem quiet during the day on weekdays (M-Th) but are a lot busier Friday and the weekends.

If anyone has access to or knows where to find information on sales per square foot for the regional malls I would be interested in looking at this especially for the 2015 summer months. (I may have seen Rocketphish post something like this before). Thanks.
I think therein lies a potential problem: The people of Barrhaven, Kanata and Nepean have many other choices for shopping.

There are several shopping plazas and strip malls in Barrhaven, Kanata and Nepean. Merivale is always busy and the Tanger Outlet is surely taking in a number of customers who would otherwise go to Bayshore.

I live in Barrhaven and when I need to go shopping, I simply shop at the Barrhaven stores. There are practically all types of stores here so there is no point driving to Bayshore and fighting the traffic/parking.

I do occasionally drop by Bayshore during lunch because my office is not too far from there and I also like to visit the Mall during the holiday season to soak in the spirit, to keep warm and for people watching but other than that, Bayshore is simply not very high on my priority list when it comes to shopping. This is also true for my circle of friends who live in the 'Haven.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 5:29 PM

Looks like Pinkberry is officially coming to Bayshore. I noticed a sign on some scafolding on the 1st level beside the 3-level escalator (where Telephone Booth - or TBooth - used to be). Not sure if that is the final location for it, but the sign said "Pinkberry : Coming Soon". Another first for Ottawa!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 6:22 PM

I was there for the first time in a while on Saturday and was screaming in frustration at that $&^%#@!* parking garage.... and judging by the plethora of cars jamming every intersection, I was not alone.

What a mess... but once I escaped the first floor, all was well.

Problems:
1) Poor to non-existent signage to lead to the ramps to higher floors.
2) Cars circling and gridlock all over the place.
3) Exiting from 4th floor I wanted to go to the 417... saw a sign "417 turn left"... followed on only to be met with the choice of "Bayshore" or "Woodridge"... where did 417 go? Circled around again and eventually found another way to the 417.

This better be fixed once the western end of the parkade is finished... and given the congestion there on an average weekend.... I can't imagine the place around Christmas.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 10:17 PM
Busy Beaver

I still think it was a missed opportunity that they didn't move the Bay to the east end of the mall, especially now with the abandoned Target. If only they could rotate the mall 180˚, the food court would have worked better if it were closer to the Transitway station with direct access, and provide future expansion and full integration when the LRT is built out this way.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 10:49 PM
Living With My Mother

Now that would have been a good idea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs