HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 6:44 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I think the best idea for transit up Parleys would be a Monorail system, built on one side of the freeway, have it hug the mountain about 20 feet above the right shoulder of the east bound lanes. Sorry I just realized this is the compilations thread and this comment should be in the transit thread.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 11:23 PM

Naaah, We've been talking about the compilation of transportation projects on the previous page. Hey, I like that idea Future Mayor, Kind of alla 'Japanese bullet train.'

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 5:43 AM
Bring out the cranes...

City Creek Center Project Update!!!
March 28th 2008

Tower 1

Towers 6-7

CCC underground parking (Crossroads Block)

CCC ZCMI Block
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 5:58 AM
Bring out the cranes...

222 South Main Project Update!!!
March 28th 2008

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 11:21 AM

Great pics Projects, as always! I know this might sound a little greedy, but I'm getting over anxious now to hear announcements of new projects. It seems like the City Creek buzz is already generating talk of major announcements to the immediate south. I had expected this kind of exponential effect, but not for another three years or more.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 2:05 PM

Downtown - City Center Lofts - 337 South 400 East

citycenterlofts

Planned Amenities
City Center Lofts will be more than just a green building; constructed from unused cargo containers, the building will be an architectural landmark for Salt Lake City and the United States. In order to allow residents to create a living space that is as unique as the building itself, we will sell the Lofts partially finished and allow residents to complete the space according to their own design.

Moreover, the building will offer unique cultural amenities that will make it a landmark in the Salt Lake art scene as well. Not only will the ground floor storefront be occupied by one of Utah’s major art institutions, but the exterior of the building will contain designated space for public art projects that will be overseen by Utah’s best curators.

Planned building amenities and features include:

• Concrete floors with radiant heat
• Low-e, high performance windows
• Private balcony or deck for every unit
• Private one- or two-car garage with storage for every unit
• Redundant magnetic keycard access for additional security
• Video intercom
• Water-efficient landscaping
• Individual gas and electric metering
• Access to Salt Lake’s finest cultural amenities on the ground floor
• Designated space for public art projects, overseen by Utah’s best curators

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 10:48 PM
New Coloradan

I think anything elevated in Parleys Canyon would detract from the natural beauty of the canyon. I-80 is bad enough, let along a modern elevated monorail system. A ground based train system in the freeway median without overhead wiring (need electrified third rail) would minimize impacts and keep the canyon beautiful.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 11:01 PM

SLCrising, are you aware of any of the current bullet trains being operated by an electrified third rail? Perhaps Japan or Europe? I would be curious to know. The Japanese bullet trains are amazing!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 12:25 PM

Downtown Projects by T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Ballet West addition

Quote:
Arrowpress Square

Quote:
Kirtland Condos

Bridges at Citifront

Kennedy Town Center Condos

Quote:
Here is the talked about Regent Street. It would be great to liven this street up with all that they have talked about.

I think that they mentioned possible condo towers on this end of the street.

Here are a few more I took while walking down Regent Street.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 11:25 PM

Downtown - 222 South Main - by T-Mac

Quote:
Photos from this morning with my new camera. I like it much better than my old one.

222 S Main's Sexy Neighbor

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 11:30 PM

City Creek Updates - by T-Mac

Quote:
Here are some of my pics from this morning. Many are very similiar to Projects, but oh well. I also bought a new camera and I loved how the shots turned out. Still experimenting with it.

Can you find the 2nd crane?

Enjoy!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 1:29 AM

Pictures

T-MAC: The new camera is a keeper! The resolution is great. The pictures are wonderful. Thanks for putting the effort in to keep us informed. I am enjoying seeing all the concrete and re-bar. But the fun will really start when the steel beams start rising.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 2:10 PM

Very nice pics T-Mac. I was noticing in a lot of the pics that the sky had some interesting contrasts and shading, even on a very difficult day for the light exposure.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 3:47 PM

Thanks guys. I didn't like my old Sony Cybershot 3.2 megapixel, so I went and got a Canon Powershot Digital Elph. This one has 12.1 megapixels. I am looking forward to many great shots in the coming future. Plus, work for me will be slowing down after April 15th and I can get out and get shots early in the morning's during weekdays as well as the weekend. A fun summer of progress ahead.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 4:09 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Awesome.
I agree delts. I too can't wait to these new tower renderings for this new project south of CCC. All those new towers will fill in that gap in the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 4:30 PM

Downtown - City Center Lofts - More News - 337 South 400 East

citycenterlofts

Salt Lake City building used as art canvas slated for demolition to make way for condo tower
By Brandon Griggs
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 03/31/2008 01:34:56 AM MDT

Seven-story condo tower made from steel shipping containers to rise in Salt Lake CityPosted: 6:51 PM- The public life of the grass-roots 337 Project was only six days. But its influence may be felt in Salt Lake City for years.
The project began in February 2007 when property owners Adam and Dessi Price, inspired by a similar venture in New York City, invited Utah's artists to decorate their abandoned two-story stucco building before it was torn down. Over the next three months some 150 artists treated the building like one big blank canvas, filling every inch of its 42 rooms with paint and assemblages they knew would eventually be destroyed.
The artists ranged from academically trained professionals to young graffiti taggers, lending the building A work of art in the 337 Project is shown. The project is a condemned two-story office building that last year acted as a canvas for 120 Utah artists. It's covered inside and out with graffiti art, stencils, paint and other decorations. The building will be demolished to make way for a seven-story condo tower made from steel shipping containers. a kaleidoscopic, funhouse effect that enchanted visitors. People stood in line for hours to tour the building after the Prices opened it to the public, for free, last May. Over the span of six days, more than 10,000 people streamed through.

A work of art in the 337 Project is shown. The project is a condemned two-story office building that last year acted as a canvas for 120 Utah artists. It's covered inside and out with graffiti art, stencils, paint and other decorations. The building will be demolished to make way for a seven-story condo tower made from steel shipping containers

The project energized Salt Lake's artistic community and inspired an exhibition opening in June at the Salt Lake Art Center. More than three dozen 337 Project artists have submitted work for the show, says curator Campbell Gray.
And the Prices have incorporated the 337 Project as a nonprofit organization whose mission will be to support Salt Lake City's community of emerging contemporary artists. The nonprofit's first venture will be a mobile art installation, housed in a truck, that will roam the Salt Lake Valley, bringing art to schools and other folks who rarely see it.
As for the 337 building, it was scheduled to be demolished last summer until finding a workable design for its replacement took longer than expected. Now, the building is set to be torn down Saturday. Price invited all the artists involved with the project to remove their artworks before the demolition, but few took him up on his offer.
"It never crossed my mind to take [my artwork] out," says Edie Roberson, who painted a whimsical, and probably valuable, door with images of a clown, a rabbit and Vincent Van Gogh. "It [the building] has to come down. I mean, that's the whole point."
Hundreds of artists and other folks are expected to drop by the site to watch the demolition. For Adam Price, it will be a bittersweet experience.
"From its inception, the destruction was always an essential part of the art," he says. "But I've loved this building. It's been such a fantastic part of my life. Seeing it go will be both wonderful and sad at the same time."

Seven-story condo tower made from steel shipping containers to rise in Salt Lake City
By Brandon Griggs
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 03/29/2008 07:28:39 PM MDT

An artist s sketch of a seven-story condo complex whose frame is made of recycled steel cargo containers. The building is slated to be erected next year on the site of the 337 Project, the grass-roots public art venture on 400 East in Salt Lake City. Related
condo tower
Mar 31:
Salt Lake City building used as art canvas slated for demolition to make way for condo towerPosted: 6:30 PM- A year from now, if all goes as planned, developers will unveil a downtown Salt Lake City condominium building that will be unlike anything Utah has ever seen.
The seven-story structure will be fashioned largely from recycled steel shipping containers, those trailer-sized units that cross oceans on cargo ships and are stacked at ports and railroad yards around the world. Architects in the emerging field of shipping-container housing believe it will be the first building of its kind in Utah and the tallest such structure in the nation.
Called City Center Lofts, the building will occupy the site of the 337 Project, the graffiti-covered building at 337 S. 400 East that became a blank canvas last spring for 150 Utah artists and is slated to be demolished Saturday. Developer Adam Price says he was inspired by the creative energy of 337 in conceiving the new condo building, which will house an as-yet-unnamed nonprofit arts group on its ground floor.
"The use of repurposed shipping containers to build the [lofts] is very much in the spirit of the 337 Project," says Price, an attorney who owns the property with his wife Dessi Price, a graphic designer. The City Center Lofts will preserve aspects of 337, such as a gallery space and panels for artists' murals on the face of the building, he said. The building is scheduled to be completed in March 2009.
Why shipping containers? Because the United States imports more goods than it exports, and because it's cheaper to manufacture new cargo containers overseas than send them back empty, millions of the surplus containers sit rusting in American shipyards. They are sold at scrap-steel prices - about $1,000-$3,000 apiece - which makes them affordable and environmentally friendly as construction materials, architects say.
Designed to be stacked up to nine high on freighters without toppling in heavy seas, the containers fit together like enormous Lego bricks, which makes construction quick. Their rugged steel walls also make them durable, termite-proof and fire-resistant.
"They're practically bomb-proof, they're so strong," Price says. "They're architecturally exciting. They have a wonderfully post-industrial feel about them. And we're making use of something nobody wants."
Architects have been designing affordable modular housing with shipping containers for more than a decade, mostly in Europe, although the practice is still rare. David Cross, co-founder of SG Blocks, a St. Louis-based company that specializes in building with the containers, estimates that fewer than three dozen container dwellings in the United States have been approved and built.
"Residential design using shipping containers. . .is still a novel approach anywhere in the country," says Elizabeth Mitchell, director of the Utah chapter of the American Institute of Architects. "You're re-using all the energy and raw materials that went into creating the shipping container rather than using new materials - it's an element of sustainable design. But the architects who get into this are mostly intrigued, I think, by the aesthetic challenge of taking something industrial in appearance and transforming it into a place someone would want to call home."
The lead creative force behind City Center Lofts is New Jersey architect Adam Kalkin, whose work was described in a New York Times profile as "somewhere between performance art and architecture." Kalkin made a splash in the design world three years ago with his Push-Button House, a shipping container with motorized walls that unfolded like a Murphy bed. His firm, Quick-Build, manufactures 2,000-square-foot, prefab container homes for $184,000, plus shipping.
"There's no limitation with what you can do with a basic [container] unit," says Kalkin, who will customize the containers - cutting out walls, windows and doorways - at his New Jersey factory before shipping them to Utah. Kalkin buys most of his cargo containers from shipyards in Newark. "They're kind of like found objects," he says. "I like taking something out of its context and using it in another context."
The City Center Lofts will contain eight residential condo units of varying sizes, one of them a penthouse. Prices for the units haven't been set. Orange shipping containers will be stacked on alternating stories with steel-and-glass frames inbetween. A standard unit will be three containers wide - about 24 feet - with finished (not exposed steel) walls, concrete floors, energy-efficient windows and radiant heat. Half the building, by weight, will be constructed from recycled materials, Price says.
The Prices, who will occupy one of the lofts, worry that some neighbors may consider the building too tall for the block. But they hope most city residents will embrace it as a colorful architectural landmark. Those who have seen sketches of the proposed building are often surprised by its unorthodox design.
"I just wonder if he can get away with this bold look," said Tom Mutter, chair of the Central City Neighborhood Council. Mutter said he likes the building's appearance but questioned whether the neighborhood's older residents will feel the same way. "This [design] is quite unique," he said. "A lot of people may have a heart attack when they see this."
griggs@sltrib.com

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 9:48 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

When I first saw the pics I was a little leary on the project but as I look at it more and think about the overall concept I REALLY like this project. I think it will continue to show that SLC is progressive and is serious about sustainable development. This type of attitude will continue to attract the "Creative Class" that all cities are looking to attract. While not for everyone I certainly think it has its key demographic that will stand in line to live in a project like this. It's a great addition to Salt Lake City's ever expanding housing market.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 12:22 AM

You continue to amaze me Future Mayor. I love the way you think.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 6:12 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Hello

Hey I'm a new user on here but I've been following all the SLC-related posts for about a year now so I'll be glad to be part of the conversation!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 9:30 AM

Very cool TANGELD SLC, I'm glad you're jumping in. So then, a big welcome and I look forward to hearing from you often. There's a lot of great guys on the forum. We also have a new lady, which is very cool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations