HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Regional Council approved the Gottingen Street Transit lanes last night.

They will be peak period only (4pm-7pm) and allow for parking and loading at other times.

Transit Priority Corridors: Gottingen Street
Great news for a daily bus user of Gottingen. Can be down right scary at times.

Still trying to figure out how this will work though. So you can park in the northbound bus lane anytime from 4-7, however this area is congested all hours of the day. There still won't be parking on the southbound lane anytime?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
... So you can park in the northbound bus lane anytime from 4-7, however this area is congested all hours of the day. There still won't be parking on the southbound lane anytime?
In the "Recommendation" section of the report to which Dmajackson provided a link, it says "continuous northbound bus lane on the Gottingen Street corridor at peak (7am-9am and 3pm-6pm, Monday to Friday), with a provision for... off peak... short duration time regulated parking and loading..."

I take this to mean the following for northbound traffic:
Between 7 and 9 in the morning, no parking in bus lane at all.
Between 9am and 3pm, parking for short durations and loading/unloading allowed.
Between 3 and 6pm, no parking in bus lane at all.
Between 6pm and 7am, parking for short durations and loading/unloading allowed.

I don't see any clear indication of proposed changes to southbound traffic/parking/loading.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
In the "Recommendation" section of the report to which Dmajackson provided a link, it says "continuous northbound bus lane on the Gottingen Street corridor at peak (7am-9am and 3pm-6pm, Monday to Friday), with a provision for... off peak... short duration time regulated parking and loading..."

I take this to mean the following for northbound traffic:
Between 7 and 9 in the morning, no parking in bus lane at all.
Between 9am and 3pm, parking for short durations and loading/unloading allowed.
Between 3 and 6pm, no parking in bus lane at all.
Between 6pm and 7am, parking for short durations and loading/unloading allowed.

I don't see any clear indication of proposed changes to southbound traffic/parking/loading.
Southbound will have no parking anytime.

Right now Gottingen is two traffic lanes with two parking lanes on the outside. The new layout will replace the parking with a new traffic lane which will be signed transit only and head towards North. Southbound will have no parking anytime and presumably 'No Stopping - Tow Away Zone' during peak times like other major streets around downtown. Short-term parking will be allowed northbound in the new transit lane off-peak and will be regulated from 15-90 minutes depending on the location.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 2:30 AM

Halifax Transit's Q4 report has been released. So far it appears Moving Forward Together is improving the system.

On-time reliability was 84% in the last quarter, Ridership is holding steady at just under 5 million passengers per year, and the new routes are showing strong numbers.

WEEKDAY PASSENGERS (VS. 2016/17 SAME OR REPLACED ROUTES)

Route 1 - 11'334 (+12%)
Route 9 A/B - 5'598 (+47%)
Route 52 - 5'538 (+10%)
Route 7 - 5'442 (+40%)
Route 80 - 4'147 (+4%)

PASSENGERS PER HOUR (STANDARD ROUTES)

Route 1 - 73
Route 41 - 52
Route 53 - 51
Route 10 - 50
Route 14 - 48

ON-PEAK RELIABILITY (WORST PERFORMING ROUTES)

Route 18 - 54%
Route 1 - 57%
Route 66 - 58%
Routes 2/17/42/86 - 62%
Routes 14/16/21 - 63%

And the three new routes introduced over the last year seem to be starting strong;

Route 9 A/B Herring Cove/Greystone - Core route with peak 5 minute frequency. 79% reliability, 32 passengers per hour, and 5'598 weekday passengers.

Route 29 Barrington - Local route with peak 15 minute frequency. 92% reliability, 29 passengers per hour, and 2'712 weekday passengers.

Route 194 West Bedford Express - Limited-stop rush hour only route that runs 4 times in each direction. 15 passengers per trip, 120 weekday passengers.

A new bus lane on Gottingen Street is planned to be installed later this year which should help the reliability on many routes. It could also give an additional boost to the already impressive Routes 1 and 7 passenger counts.

The major improvements for 2018/19 are coming into effect August 20th.

Service Adjustments

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 2:43 PM

As a regular user of the 52 to get to and from work, I'm a little dismayed at some of the changes. The back half of the Chain Lake Dr. 'loop' is no longer covered. I'll be fine (though it means crossing the street with no crosswalks and in the winter it'll mean climbing over the snow banks on the median in the winter), but I often see seniors and other people who rely on the bus to get to Value Village and other places along that section.

Pedestrian infrastructure is already laughable in Bayers Lake. This just makes things even worse (again).

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:36 PM

are these number public
I looked and only found Q3

Quote:
Halifax Transit's Q4 report has been released. So far it appears Moving Forward Together is improving the system.

On-time reliability was 84% in the last quarter, Ridership is holding steady at just under 5 million passengers per year, and the new routes are showing strong numbers.

WEEKDAY PASSENGERS (VS. 2016/17 SAME OR REPLACED ROUTES)

Route 1 - 11'334 (+12%)
Route 9 A/B - 5'598 (+47%)
Route 52 - 5'538 (+10%)
Route 7 - 5'442 (+40%)
Route 80 - 4'147 (+4%)

PASSENGERS PER HOUR (STANDARD ROUTES)

Route 1 - 73
Route 41 - 52
Route 53 - 51
Route 10 - 50
Route 14 - 48

ON-PEAK RELIABILITY (WORST PERFORMING ROUTES)

Route 18 - 54%
Route 1 - 57%
Route 66 - 58%
Routes 2/17/42/86 - 62%
Routes 14/16/21 - 63%

And the three new routes introduced over the last year seem to be starting strong;

Route 9 A/B Herring Cove/Greystone - Core route with peak 5 minute frequency. 79% reliability, 32 passengers per hour, and 5'598 weekday passengers.

Route 29 Barrington - Local route with peak 15 minute frequency. 92% reliability, 29 passengers per hour, and 2'712 weekday passengers.

Route 194 West Bedford Express - Limited-stop rush hour only route that runs 4 times in each direction. 15 passengers per trip, 120 weekday passengers.

A new bus lane on Gottingen Street is planned to be installed later this year which should help the reliability on many routes. It could also give an additional boost to the already impressive Routes 1 and 7 passenger counts.

The major improvements for 2018/19 are coming into effect August 20th.

Service Adjustments

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:23 PM

Halifax Transit is replacing their fare box system and with it comes a change in their tickets. They are preparing to introduce new tickets that are the approximate size of existing paper currency. Unbelievable!

https://twitter.com/hfxtransit/statu...64536935632897

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 10:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

They should consider doing a tap-based system. You'd be able to buy a card or use a credit or debit card to tap on. You'd be able to put more money on your card online or set up recurring billing for a monthly pass.

Tourists wouldn't need to fool around with tickets or coins. They'd just tap their credit card and it would act as proof of payment.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:39 PM
Closed account

I've been using a tap-system here in Korea. The concept of buying a ticket seems borderline medieval. You can buy a transit card, load it up online or at any convenience store and use it on any city bus, metro or taxi in the country. You can also use most contactless debit cards. Tap on, tap off for a transfer.

I really wanted to support Halifax Transit on principle but this is absurd. RFID technology exists, we don't have to reinvent the wheel to get it implemented.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxRetales View Post
are these number public
I looked and only found Q3
Yes sorry I meant to include the link at the bottom of my post.

It was an information item at Regional Council this week

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Yes sorry I meant to include the link at the bottom of my post.

It was an information item at Regional Council this week
Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
They should consider doing a tap-based system. You'd be able to buy a card or use a credit or debit card to tap on. You'd be able to put more money on your card online or set up recurring billing for a monthly pass.

Tourists wouldn't need to fool around with tickets or coins. They'd just tap their credit card and it would act as proof of payment.
I think that's the plan. The new fare boxes are the first step in enabling that approach.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I think that's the plan. The new fare boxes are the first step in enabling that approach.
it seems to me that the new bus tickets are just a way to highlight they have new boxes

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
They should consider doing a tap-based system...
I understand that the new fare boxes can work with a tap or swipe system and were purchased for that reason. The upgrades of all related infrastructure (transfer printing, etc.) means that the tap/card feature won't be useable right away and in the meantime, the new boxes won't accept existing tickets.

I remember reading somewhere that it'll take 12-18 months to get all the new infrastructure squared away, then they start setting up and rolling out the tap/card system.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That makes sense. Their communication isn't all that clear. Buried down on the page:

Quote:
Why isn’t Halifax Transit moving directly to smart media?

The new fare collection system is part of a phased approach and a larger strategy to modernize technology for transit. This initial phase of the new fare collection system is necessary to lay the technological foundation for enhancements and additional customer conveniences to be implemented in the future, including the adoption of smart media. We want to ensure the long-term solution provides improved rider experience and we are looking at solutions and strategies to reach this goal. More information on the timing for introducing smart media will be available following the implementation of this phase of work.
I assume smart media means tap-enabled cards and devices.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 9:04 PM

Quote:
I assume smart media means tap-enabled cards and devices.

That could be a dangerous assumption considering we are dealing with the geniuses at Halifax Transit. They could decide on a barbell-shaped MacPass equivalent.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 10:48 AM

Hi folks, long time listener first time caller.

I've perused some angry Facebook posts on the Aug 20th changes to the bus system and wanted to see what everyone thought of the changes in general, and the changes yet to come. I know the vocal majority usually go to the internet to complain about change, not to praise it. So Facebook probably isn't an accurate indicator of what the majority of people think.

I've taken the bus for years and overall it's been a fine experience no matter where I've lived. I used to walk to the bridge terminal and take any one of 7 buses to Spring Garden Road to go to college. I'd have to stand most of the time, but I was young and spry then, so I could take it. If I had to take that route now, I'd just wait for the 1 to show up empty and take it.

I lived in Rockingham and took the 34 to work and back for a number of years. It was a 2 minute walk to Dunbrack and I could always sit down on that bus. By the time it got to the bottom of Main Ave, it was full. (No standing room).

I live in Sackville now, and carpool at Cobequid terminal. At 6:40, 3 #84s show up, including one that is empty. I'm able to sit every time on the way to work. It gets a bit dicey going back to Sackville after work, but usually I'm sitting down.

I can understand certain people's frustrations with some of the changes, especially if it removed service from where they live or where they have to go. No mid-day buses go down Radcliffe, Glenforest or Kempt Road anymore. The 89 doesn't run on weekends. But those are isolated gripes when dealing with a gradual but complete overhaul of the system. I've been lucky enough not to have to transfer to get to work and back. Hopefully when these new changes are complete in 5ish years, many more people won't have to transfer at rush hour to get to work, especially people that work downtown.

If I had to nitpick, I'd love the 84 to run all day, so that I can get to the dockyard and back during the middle of the day without transferring (or 10am when the dockyard is closed due to snow). Taking the 87 to the bridge and then taking a bus to Halifax is fine, but again, nitpicking.

Looking forward to people's opinions, good or bad, about the changes to the busses, what they'd like to see and what is already done well.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 11:43 AM

I hear many complaints from those whose ox has been gored. They seem to fall into 3 categories:

- MSVU students
- Clayton Park residents upset about loss of service on certain streets
- general complaints abut the need to transfer to get to where you used to go on a single route, complicated by missed connections as per usual for Transit.

As you note, I have not heard many people state that the changes improved things for them.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I hear many complaints from those whose ox has been gored. They seem to fall into 3 categories:

- MSVU students
- Clayton Park residents upset about loss of service on certain streets
- general complaints abut the need to transfer to get to where you used to go on a single route, complicated by missed connections as per usual for Transit.

As you note, I have not heard many people state that the changes improved things for them.
There seemed to be a specific complaint about the loss of mid-day and weekend service on Radcliffe. The 30A/30B bypasses Radcliffe by going down lacewood and turning left on Dunbrack... and vice versa. I assume through the surveys Halifax transit did, they thought it'd be better to service the shopping district than Radcliffe. They could put one of those #30 buses Up or down Radcliffe,but it would add confusion to those trying to get from Rockingham/Wedgewood to that shopping district.

Not sure the complaint with MSVU, other than people that took the 35 down from the Rockingham area in the mornings have to take the 39 now, and people in Wedgewood that go to MSVU have to take two buses now. The 80/81/90 gets people from the peninsula to MSVU, pretty much replacing what the 18 did for the peninsula.

I can understand some people's frustration. This latest change took buses from areas, and didn't really add any buses to areas other than Washmill lake and the new subdivision at the bottom of Farnham Gate. But people that like those changes are less likely to come to the internet to praise them, and it's more likely people that don't like the changes will come to the internet to complain about them. I'm sure when the new buses are introduced in Bedford South and Bedford West, a lot of people will be pleased.

Just a note on transferring as well. The vast majority of transferring can be done at transit terminals that have enclosed, heated buildings with seats like the Bridge, Scotia Square, Mumford, Lacewood and Sackville. Bayers road is a popular transfer point, especially with some of these recent changes, and that could be made a bit better for people. I think you currently have to stand in a doorway or just inside the mall itself. Unless you're glued to your phone and google transit, you'd have to wait near the bus stop to make sure your bus stops. But for the most part you can choose to transfer at a terminal where you're not in the pouring rain or -15. There are exceptions to this rule, but you can't have a terminal at every transfer point.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 2:37 PM

I use the bus for my daily work commute from the peninsula to Bayers Lake.

I think under ideal conditions it's meant very little change in commute time other than a forced transfer (I used to be able to ride the 52 from my front door to my workplace), and a bit more walking since service was discontinued on the Chain Lake Dr/Horseshoe Lake Dr loop.

Unfortunately things aren't always ideal, and I'm often left waiting for a transfer at the Lacewood or Mumford terminals for anywhere from 15-30 min to get into work, or walking for 15 min or waiting up to 30 min for a bus on the way home.

I don't mind the transferring, but the thing that makes things work for transfers is lots of options or increased frequency, neither of which seems to be the case here. I don't really mind the walking, either, except for the fact that Bayers Lake is very pedestrian unfriendly.

If I had an requests or nitpicks it would be that:
A) the 28 completes the Chain Lake Dr/Horseshoe Lake Dr loop that the 52 used to instead of turning at the corner of Washmill and Chain Lake. This would add at most 5 min to the overall trip time between the Lacewood and Mumford terminals, and would mean that all the people who relied on the bus on that route (and there were a number of us) would still have service options (especially in inclement weather). I really don't understand why this apparently wasn't considered viable, or considered at all?
B) If A isn't an option, increase the frequency on the 21.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure