HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 11:25 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Iceland Considers Humanoid Pylon Design to Carry Electricity

Iceland Considers Humanoid Pylon Design to Carry Electricity

August 16, 2010
By Duncan Geere, Wired UK

An architecture and design firm called Choi+Shine has submitted a design for the Icelandic High-Voltage Electrical Pylon International Design Competition which proposes giant human-shaped pylons carrying electricity cables across the country’s landscape.

The enormous figures would only require slight alterations to existing pylon designs, says the firm, which was awarded an honorable mention for its design by the competition’s judging board. It also won an award from the Boston Society of Architects Unbuilt Architecture competition.

On their website, the architecture firm said: “Making only minor alterations to well-established steel-framed tower design, we have created a series of towers that are powerful, solemn and variable. These iconic pylon-figures will become monuments in the landscape. Seeing the pylon-figures will become an unforgettable experience, elevating the towers to something more than merely a functional design of necessity.”

The figures can be placed into different poses, with the suggestion that the landscapes could inform the position that the sculpture is placed into. For example, as a power line ascends a hill, the pylons could look as if they’re climbing. The figures could also stretch up to gain increased height over longer spans.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...trical-pylons/

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 3:58 AM

Simply brilliant!!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 4:08 AM

Super groovy cool.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 7:45 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I'd always thought it'd be neat if they just simply added curves to all of the end parts.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 9:18 AM
BANNED

Those Structures finally got 'Human friendly' to our Green Environmentalists. Complicate Designs, but loved them !

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 11:51 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Really quite inspired.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 7:10 PM
Never Dell

Very cool. But impractical.

It's a given that the cheapest, strongest structure that uses the fewest resources will not be at all like these. Therefore, doing sculptures will require some combination of more cost and more materials. Plus, with variation in the design, a lot of design and construction inefficiencies. What utility or politician would ever choose to spend a lot more money for pylons, and do something that non-sustainable?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 1:58 AM

they kind of creep me out, not going to lie

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 7:59 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Very cool. But impractical.

It's a given that the cheapest, strongest structure that uses the fewest resources will not be at all like these. Therefore, doing sculptures will require some combination of more cost and more materials. Plus, with variation in the design, a lot of design and construction inefficiencies. What utility or politician would ever choose to spend a lot more money for pylons, and do something that non-sustainable?
Quote:
The enormous figures would only require slight alterations to existing pylon designs, says the firm
I don't know if the firm is just blowing smoke, but if it's true, why not? We might not pay for design aesthetics in this country, anymore, but we're not the entire world, either. You know, there are public sectors in this world that still design both things that actually work while simultaneously designing them to look nice/interesting, too. Hell, it's not even just outside the US, either. My little city's public utility is currently constructing a new natural gas power plant that looks like this...

Lansing Area Capital Gains

...when they absolutely could have easily designed something more generic and unadorned. I wish we'd stop applying such discouraging and defeatist local framing to anything that dares to look at good as it actually works.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 1:28 AM
I am a typical

Considering how much materials have to be used, it isn't "more sustainable" or "greener", but it does look cool.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 2:02 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I don't know if the firm is just blowing smoke, but if it's true, why not? We might not pay for design aesthetics in this country, anymore, but we're not the entire world, either. You know, there are public sectors in this world that still design both things that actually work while simultaneously designing them to look nice/interesting, too. Hell, it's not even just outside the US, either. My little city's public utility is currently constructing a new natural gas power plant that looks like this...

...when they absolutely could have easily designed something more generic and unadorned. I wish we'd stop applying such discouraging and defeatist local framing to anything that dares to look at good as it actually works.
Because you can make something look nice much more easily and sustainably, as this building has done. You don't need to waste steel or create safety issues like the pylons would. The cost of the plyon project would be a major scandal and a massive additional cost.

I can see aesthetics trumping a moderate cost difference, but this wouldn't be moderate. And sustainability should be a major priority for any utility...sustainability, even it it means being utilitarian on many things, should trump sculptural and unsustainable.

The sculpture pylon idea sounds interesting on the surface, but it would be the worst nightmare for any utility -- not walking their (typical) talk on sustainability, and not using ratepayers' money efficiently.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post

That brick better be made of fly-ash my friend

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture