HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
According to the Trinity website, it looks like we're getting a Tims, Bouclair and Best Buy. Best Buy will be interesting competition with Future Shop...

http://www.trinity-group.com/index.php?q=node/135

In other thoughts, I hope city council seriously considers re-routing bus routes 116 and 216 to go through the Corbett Centre/Knowledge Park Drive. It might increase ridership?
Trinity no longer has an interest in the Corbett Centre. Sold their stake to Rio Can in 2010. Thus I would not put much stock in what's on their website because it hasn't been updated since the sale. More faith in the Rio Can site which lists Bed Bath & Beyond, Gap Outlet, Bouclair and OshKosh........ http://www.riocan.com/Content/PDF/sitePlan/271A.pdf. Tims will be there as well as confirmed recently in the DG by the local Tim's operator... http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/rss/article/1449933.

I for one hope that Best Buy is coming but don't look at it as "competition" since they are owned by the same company as Future Shop. The $$$ goes in the same pocket! Similar to the GAP and Old Navy relationship.

Last edited by Freddypop; Nov 12, 2011 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Trinity no longer has an interest in the Corbett Centre. Sold their stake to Rio Can in 2010. Thus I would not put much stock in what's on their website because it hasn't been updated since the sale. More faith in the Rio Can site which lists Bed Bath & Beyond, Gap Outlet, Bouclair and OshKosh........ http://www.riocan.com/Content/PDF/sitePlan/271A.pdf. Tims will be there as well as confirmed recently in the DG by the local Tim's operator... http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/rss/article/1449933.

I for one hope that Best Buy is coming but don't look at it as "competition" since they are owned by the same company as Future Shop. The $$$ goes in the same pocket! Similar to the GAP and Old Navy relationship.
I keep forgetting about the sale (I must be in denial). Once the centre is finished construction, it will be nice to see several jobs added

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 2:26 PM

It was a nice commute across the bridge today, with the PMB open again. No hangups on the bus at all that I noticed. The bus itself (13 from Brookside) was a little less crowded than usual, but not significantly; maybe 3-5 people fewer than I've noticed in the past month or so. We'll see how that changes as we enter Winter I'm sure.

I did notice they've got some foundations poured in the new courtyard subdivision off of Brookside now. And the pouring for the first floor of the TRApartments seems to be almost complete.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
In other news, Station Pointe Village seems to be coming along well-
http://www.colpittsdevelopments.ca/s...-site-map.html
I noticed that as well. I have to say though, that I am a bit disappointed in Station Pointe. It looks like it is going to be another generic development, much like the other Colpitts projects around the city. I was hoping that they would have made it a bit more architecturally interesting and perhaps tie its design to the heritage of that neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 11:52 AM

Mayor hints at northside development project

Published Tuesday November 15th, 2011

A2 By HEATHER MCLAUGHLIN

mclaughlin.heather@dailygleaner.com

A major redevelopment project could be brewing on the former Craig Electric property at the north end of the Bill Thorpe Walking Bridge.

Mayor Brad Woodside said all he can say right now is there's interest in the location and negotiations with a developer are continuing. He wouldn't name the developer.

"The concept has been presented and it's a very nice one that would fit in within the city of Fredericton and be well received," Woodside said. "When we acquired this property, we wanted to retain the historical significance of the roundhouse and this proposal does precisely that, which is rather exciting. It would keep the facade that we have. Work would be done mostly on the inside."

The City of Fredericton owns the Union Street property, which is adjacent Carleton Park. It acquired the site in 2006, which put the city in control of 2.8 hectares of land beside its park.

The city spent $550,000 through a mix of tax credits and cash to acquire the land between 800 and 930 Union St., including Kelly Tire and Craig Electric. The Craig Electric property contains a former railway roundhouse built in 1885 by B. Mooney and Sons for the Northern and Western Railway has been added to the city's local historic places register.

More than 500,000 bricks made in Alexander (Boss) Gibson's brickyard went into the structure. Gibson, the empire builder of his day, constructed the Marysville Cotton Mill and a surrounding enclave of brick homes for mill workers.

"There's a lot of interest right now in development in many, many parts of the city, including the city-owned land in Union Street area," Woodside said.

He said the municipality is looking for a special development on the Craig Electric property and that's why the city is working with one developer at this time.

There are public-service components to the project, including the provision of public washrooms that could serve people visiting Carleton Park next door.

"It would enhance the city park," Woodside said.

The Craig Electric site often floods in the spring, and Woodside said no developers have been beating down the city's doors trying to acquire the site.

"It does have many restrictions. It does flood down there and it has flooded ... That would put a constraint on any business going in there," Woodside said.

The developer in talks with the city has a flexibility other business owners wouldn't, the mayor said.

Woodside the talks aren't part of the city's 2012 budget talks.

"Council likes the proposal and we're just now down to what the cost is going to be and we're dotting the i's' and crossing the t's'," Woodside said.

The city is also looking to refresh a proposal call for the redevelopment of a downtown west-end parcel it owns.

Woodside said he's been pushing to get something happening on land adjacent to the Royal Canadian Legion off Queen Street.

"We've been working with a party for over a year and the time has come to say to this developer that it's now or never. We are going to put it (the land) out to a call for proposal," he said.

Woodside said the development of downtown apartments on the former TRA Cash and Carry property and the fact the Royal Canadian Legion needs to sell its location are driving the renewed emphasis.

"Things have changed. There's more interest in the property than there was before. Our mission, our goal, our objective as a council is to have both ends of the city redeveloped," Woodside said.

"We'll give the public an opportunity to do that."

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/c...rticle/1455942

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 11:54 AM

City seeks partners for York House project

Published Tuesday November 15th, 2011

A 4By HEATHER MCLAUGHLIN

The city owns it, but now it's got to figure out what to do with it.

To that end, city councillors agreed Monday night to terms of reference for a public proposal call on how to rehabilitate historic York House in the downtown core.

The property poses challenges: it contains asbestos, PCBs and lead.

The city has estimated it could cost as much as $4 million to refurbish the building, said Coun. Stephen Chase, chairman of the city's York House working group.

That's too pricey for converting the structure into additional municipal offices, he said, so the city will ask the public for help.

"It's an open call to the public, which, of course, includes the development community and other people interested in the potential uses of that structure to come forward with viable proposals that can work between the two parameters I outlined," Chase said.

"We want to preserve the structure and restore it to its architectural splendor as a historic building in Fredericton, and the other parameter being that it be at zero cost to the taxpayers of Fredericton. Between those two parameters, we'll entertain proposals."

Chase isn't opposed to partnerships being formed to execute a viable redesign and reuse for the city-owned property.

The $3 million-$4 million rehabilitation estimate would include removal of asbestos, PCBs and lead, along with the estimated cost of bringing the building up to building codes.

The city acquired York House in late 2007 as part of a deal it worked out with Brunswick Street Baptist Church.

The church wanted to expand but couldn't pay the cost of renovating York House, so it was going to demolish the building for its new addition.

Through land purchases and trades, the city found land for the church to build its addition and got York House in return.

Part of the committee's plan is to develop a feedback mechanism to seek input from the community.

The first phase of the input will be done online, and it's hoped the web page for feedback will be ready early next week.

Recommendations on how to rehabilitate the structure will have to come back to city council for approval.

The York House working group includes Chase, acting city administrator Chris MacPherson, the city's executive director for capital projects Greg Cook, executive director for strategic initiatives Don Fitzgerald and city real-estate manager Calvin Thompson.

Located at 193 York St., York House was constructed in 1893. It was designed by James Dumaresq, architect of the New Brunswick legislative building, as well as St. Paul's United Church and the Charlotte Street School.

The building was originally constructed to house the Fredericton High School and an elementary school. Through the years, York House has also been used for Teachers' College classrooms, the city's public library, a student employment centre and a youth hostel.

The Brunswick Street Baptist Church purchased the property in 1965. The building was used for various church purposes and was renamed York House.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/c...rticle/1456028

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 1:33 PM

Tennis in Fredericton, anyone?

Published Saturday November 19th, 2011

A8 By COLIN MACPHAIL

For The Daily Gleaner

The foundation is set for the Capital Region Community Tennis Centre, both literally and figuratively speaking.

The $2.5-million project is ready for crews to start construction at its home at Scotiabank Park South next to the skeleton of the Grant*Harvey Centre and leisure facility, which is also under construction.

After fundraising and forming strategic partnerships, David Clark, president of the Capital Region Tennis Association and the new centre's chairman, was proud to announce they've raised almost $2.2 million with a recent $250,000 investment from Tennis Canada.

Three years ago, the association partnered with Tennis Canada as well as the City of Fredericton and the University of New Brunswick, the landowners, to develop a centre that promotes the sport in an affordable and accessible manner.

"The fact that Tennis Canada believed in our group and are using it as a template to grow tennis from the grassroots level with the focus on kids and families is just absolutely outstanding," said Clark.

The wheelchair-accessible, indoor facility, which will house six courts and administrative offices, is designed to accommodate all types of players and will offer wheelchair tennis.

It will also be one of six centres in the world known for its level of energy efficiency and insulation.

"It's going to be heated by geothermal heat and air-conditioned at a fraction of the cost because this is a new way of doing wellness infrastructure, and sustainability is key," said Clark.

Derek Strang, COO of Tennis Canada, said the state-of-the-art facility will hopefully attract professional events.

"We run satellite circuits in Quebec, but we really don't do anything in the Atlantic region," Strang said.

"We see this as an opportunity of doing this here and maybe in another location as well outside the province to able to do those types of showcasing at the highest level."

On top of the donation of capital, Tennis Canada has also given an operations subsidy to ensure top-level coaching is available at the centre for all players, regardless of income.

"It's about affordability and accessibility. It's what we call 'grow, promote and showcasing the sport,' and for us, this is what this facility helps to provide," Strang said.

"The project for Fredericton is actually a role model for what we're trying to roll out across the country."

Both Strang and Hatem McDadi, Tennis Canada vice-president of tennis development, said there's a need to grow more community-based tennis centres in Canada. With the capability and partners, Fredericton was an easy choice, McDadi said.

"It was a no-brainer to invest here in the sense that it's providing affordable and accessible tennis," McDadi said.

"It's really a great opportunity to provide a healthy lifestyle and activity with the tennis community here."

Tennis Canada is developing 16 similar projects across the country, and it's hopeful the Fredericton venture will inspire other small communities to take part.

"It's going to be a beacon for many communities the size of Fredericton," McDadi said.

"They'll say, 'If we get organized, if we have partnerships, if we have the leadership ... we can do it as well.' "

For Clark, the centre, which is slated for a spring opening, is exactly what's the community and the sport need.

"It's going to have a tremendous impact on the Fredericton community because it goes beyond the capital region," he said.

"This will be the centre for tennis east of Montreal."

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/c...rticle/1457305

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 5:18 AM

I'm sure we've all heard about the historic apartment building burning down on the corner of Regent and Charlotte. My sympathy to anyone who has lost possessions and memories. Maybe this big parcel of land will open up to development and higher density housing? We'll see in the coming months...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...te-street.html

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 4:25 PM

Any development on that site will probably have to have a bit of a buffer with Regent Street so that the city can purchase that land in the future for widening Regent. Note that building was right beside the scuba shop that was moved back from Regent a couple years ago.

By the way, that place was a dump. Had some friends that lived there a few years ago. Definitely feel bad for the people that lost everything they had though.

I'm impressed they already tore the whole thing down, unlike the old apartment/church building on York and George that stood for months after it burned.

Snapped this pic yesterday on my way to the market:

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 1:36 PM

Noticed the other day that there is a new Chinese restaurant and another Pita Pita going into the building on Prospect that Long&McQuaid used to be in.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:00 PM

Good news about Pita Pit, I've been waiting for a decent sandwich/pita place to open uptown. Nothing but Subway right now.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 11:33 PM

I found a cool pic of a bus in front of Kings Place. I'm not sure when it was taken, but I'm guessing 1970s or 80s? Also note the bench in the mid-left section- it would be nice to have seating there now! On a side note, currently the exterior of Kings Place is looking dirty and grimy, I say it's time for a clean up?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 11:49 PM
New Brunswick booster!

It would be awesome if there was a place to sit! And the building really does need some TLC.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 5:41 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I'm pretty pumped to see what the new condos are going to look like and how well they are going to stand out on Forest Hill and Queen St. Queen St. is 6 floors and Forst Hill will be 7 right?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 6:30 PM

Neither are condos IIRC.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 2:23 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Good news about Pita Pit, I've been waiting for a decent sandwich/pita place to open uptown. Nothing but Subway right now.
I used to live next door to that building. I couldn't count how many trips I made on foot or by car to get Pita Pit downtown.

Not pleased this took that long to happen.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 2:40 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Neither are condos IIRC.
My bad. I guess I was using "condos" as a generic term as something better than the usual that goes up in Fredericton lol.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 1:19 PM

Building to be torn down today

Published Saturday November 26th, 2011

North Star | Demolition of old bar clears way for sale

A1 By HEATHER MCLAUGHLIN

The dust will be flying at Fredericton's only strip bar Saturday when a contractor moves in to demolish the building for its owner, the City of Fredericton.

The city wasn't in the exotic dance business until last July when it purchased the family owned business in Devon for $500,000. The assessed value of the land and the buildings is $364,900.

The city got almost 6,000-square-metres of property in the deal, about 1.5-acres of serviced land.

At the upcoming Monday night city council meeting, there will be a proposal placed before councillors to resell the land to a private developer.
"It was a legal non-conforming business in the middle of the neighbourhood. The people who owned it, the family, wanted to get out of the business. It was an opportunity for the city to come in and move that business out," said Ward 4 (South Devon) Coun. Eric Megarity.

"There is some interest by a prospective buyer who wants to buy the property and put a development there. I don't know all the specific details of the final agreement, but that information will be coming forth," Megarity said Friday evening.
The city is demolishing the structure to leave a clean site to facilitate the land transfer, he said.

Megarity supported the deal when it was passed by council during the summer because he hoped it would be a catalyst in the redevelopment of his northside ward.

Councillors had closed-door briefings from the city's police force about the bar attracting an unsavory element.

A couple of members of the Bacchus outlaw motorcycle gang frequented the bar, but a member of the biker group denied reports that either they or the Hell's Angels bikers were looking to buy the property for a clubhouse.

Hell's Angels bikers were known to stop in for drinks while passing through the city.

Although getting rid of the bar - which was a magnet for a rougher drinking crowd and police were often called to the bar to break up fights - was part of the motivation for the deal, city development committee chairman Coun. Stephen Chase said that buying the property would be a good investment for city hall.

The bar was paying $15,826 in annual property and business taxes. The city got half of that revenue.

By purchasing the site, ripping down the building and enticing a developer to construct a medium to high-density apartment building or a condominium development, the city stands to gain closer to $70,000 a year in property tax revenue based on the estimated number of units the land could contain.

Even if it collected less than the $70,000 property tax estimate, for instance - even at half that figure - it would still be an annual tax revenue increase for the city, Chase said at the time.

Across the street along the banks of the St. John River, Greenarm Commercial Realty is marketing 35 units in its six-storey condo development with prices ranging from $250,000 for a smaller unit to almost $600,000 for a sixth floor unit that's the size of an upscale bungalow.

When fully sold, those condos will generate $150,000 annually in city taxes.

Coun. David Kelly and Marilyn Kerton both opposed purchasing the North Star, arguing that the city can't just buy up vacant or undesirable properties on a whim.

They argued if the site was valuable, a private developer would snap it up.

"Development is starting to move in a positive direction in (South Devon)," said Megarity said. "The value is in the land, whether we do something right away with it or develop it. It would be a good place for some condos close to a main artery. It's a perfect location for redevelopment.

"Half a million dollars is a lot of money, but when you look down to the future, that money will come back and more and come back every year in the form of tax base," he said.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/f...rticle/1459085

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 1:12 PM

NRC staying in city - mayor
Published Wednesday November 30th, 2011
Good news | Woodside says IT centre is important and brings credibility to area
A1
By STEPHEN LLEWELLYN
llewellyn.stephen@dailygleaner.com

The National Research Council is staying in Fredericton, says Mayor Brad Woodside

He made the announcement Tuesday night at his annual state of the city address at the Fredericton Convention Centre.

"What I want to tell you is the NRC isn't going anywhere," the seven-term mayor told a crowd of more than 320 business and community leaders.

"It's going to retool and it's going to be stronger ... We will remain a smart, sustainable community."

The National Research Council-Institute for Information Technology is located on the University of New Brunswick campus and has been an incubator for numerous IT projects and startup companies.

Rumours about the centre's demise sent ripples of concern through the capital's influential information technology sector earlier this year.

"I was very fortunate today (Tuesday) to talk to Dr. Dan Wayners, vice-president (of the NRC) ... and we were concerned about the NRC," said Woodside.

"The NRC is a part of this community and brings a lot of credibility to exactly what we're doing and we've proven ... our successes, all the people employed in the IT sector.

"It is very, very important."

He said Wayners knows what this community has to offer.

"I'm thanking him for enlightening us today and bringing all the facts out," Woodside said.

In an interview after his speech, Woodside said Wayners couldn't tell him what the scale of the NRC is going to be anywhere in the country because of the retooling.

"But he has assured me that their focus is on information technology," said the mayor. "They plan on being a part of our future."

Woodside told the audience the IT sector is vital to Fredericton's future. He said the city did an economic development strategy years ago and decided to diversify away from government jobs.

"The stakeholders in this community all got together and they asked themselves the questions, what is our strengths, what is our weaknesses," said the mayor.

"And it was very evident. It's information technology."

The city decided to brand itself as a smart city, he said.

"We're not into the flavour of the month," said Woodside.

"We're into the flavour of the future."

He said the city has never gotten off track and is reaping the reward with a positive international reputation.

One of the benefits for Fredericton is a lot of migration to the city, said Woodside.

"We have a young community here," he said. "Others don't.

"If you don't have young people in your community, you're into a real downward spiral."

The mayor listed Fredericton's many accomplishments in 2011, including: a balanced budget for 2012; being named sixth-best place to live in Canada; having the eighth-best air quality in the world; passing the $100-million mark in development in 2011 after setting a record of $168 million in 2010; the city's tourism industry passing the $220-million mark; and citizen satisfaction rates are high, according to a survey.

"All the numbers indicate that we are stable despite the rest of the world," he said.

"We don't go real high and then get real low."

He said the recently announced balanced budget was an amazing feat considering the city's revenue is down $900,000 and the province just cut the unconditional grant by more than $100,000.

Woodside attributed the city's strong fiscal situation to good management.

"This has been a tremendous year for us," he said.

The state of the city address is sponsored by the Fredericton Chamber of Commerce, and chamber president Andrew Steeves said the mayor delivered a positive message.

"Brad does a great job of summarizing where we are as a city, picking out the highlights and the strengths of the city and really inspiring a lot of people here to keep working hard and achieve more," he said.

Steeves said the turnout for the evening was excellent and far above the average attendance of about 200.

He said the city is well governed and in good shape financially.

"The fact that the city is holding the tax rate is very important," said Steeves.

"I do sense, maybe not so much for the city, but certainly for our country and our province, there's some tough times coming.

"We don't know where those cuts will occur but there will be cuts."

It was also announced at the state of the city address the Delta Fredericton Hotel won an Enbridge Gas NB green award.

The staff of the Fredericton Convention Centre also donated their time at the state of the city address by working the coat check in exchange for a small donation to Fredericton's Food Bank.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/c...rticle/1459994

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 4:47 PM

Noticed they have begun the demolition at Queen's Square

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces