HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRJ View Post
Here's an interior rendering of the Sears Crosstown project that I haven't seen before:

Sears Crosstown future tenants want to move in by 2016

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...nt-to-move-in/

I really hope the city can find the $15 million to contribute to see that this project gets off the ground.
Huge project for midtown- will have to be a little creative to find the 15M. Hope this pans out as it should be a huge boost to the northern areas of midtown.

On another note... Crosstown Sears was narrowly missed in 1944 by a military plane crash. Interesting history in that area.

http://www.historic-memphis.com/memp...towncrash.html

Last edited by SterickFan; Oct 7, 2013 at 4:58 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 12:45 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

In case anyone missed it I have photos from Sears Crosstown (along with the Old Marine Hospital and James Lee House) in this thread. I also have photos of quite a few other abandoned buildings throughout Memphis if anyone is interested.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=199497

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 4:33 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Overton Square garage opens
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...age-opens.html

Quote:
The city opened its 451-space parking garage in Overton Square this past weekend.
Loeb Properties Inc., the company which manages the operations of the garage for the city, is offering free parking for the rest of the October to start it off.
Quote:
Since buying Overton Square last year, Loeb has pushed the shopping area’s occupancy rate to more than 82 percent in a relatively short period of time.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 9:24 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I found out some information in regards to the Chisca. They are currently between phases, and most of the cleanout/demolition has been completed. There is a structural problem that's occurred that they previously weren't expecting (some steel beams are needed for reinforcement, I don't know anything else other than that).

They originally wanted to have it open by May of 2014, which obviously is almost unrealistic and pushing it, but the fact that they want to have those apartments and the restaurant delivered that soon is promising.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
I found out some information in regards to the Chisca. They are currently between phases, and most of the cleanout/demolition has been completed. There is a structural problem that's occurred that they previously weren't expecting (some steel beams are needed for reinforcement, I don't know anything else other than that).
Thanks for that informative update. I suspected they might find some rotten beams/ support columns in there or possibly just something way out of code from decades past.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 1:17 AM

I stopped by the Overton Square garage today and, embarrassingly, left without taking any pictures of the garage itself. It's a beautiful building. I can't wait to see it completely finished.

I did grab a picture of the courtyard which was busy with construction workers:

It's looking good!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRJ View Post
I stopped by the Overton Square garage today and, embarrassingly, left without taking any pictures of the garage itself. It's a beautiful building. I can't wait to see it completely finished. I did grab a picture of the courtyard which was busy with construction workers: It's looking good!
Nice pano. Yeah, It's looking great. I noticed they even got a little amphitheatre stage turning the back lot into outside performance space. Very cool.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 4:24 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

It's not much, but everything helps. This should in turn knock down the price of some United Flights to and from DEN to MEM. Isn't Frontier headed toward becoming a an ultra low cost carrier now?

Frontier Airlines coming to Memphis International Airport
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...rnational-air/

Quote:
Frontier Airlines will start offering discount service to Memphis, it was announced at a Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority press conference Wednesday morning.

Frontier will offer direct flights from Memphis to Denver for an initial price of $79 each way. According to Frontier's website, the first flight available will be March 7, 2014, with roundtrip service being provided on Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 4:07 AM

Baptist Begins Work on Germantown Rehabilitation Facility
Memphis Daily News

Quote:
The approximate cost of the project is $33 million, and the potential move-in date is Oct. 1, 2014. The clinic will be leased to the rehab hospital under a long-term lease by Indianapolis-based commercial real developer Duke Realty Corp. Earl Swensson Associates is the project architect, and Brasfield & Gorrie, with which Baptist has worked in the past, is the general contractor. The planned 60,000-square-foot facility will include 49 single-occupancy rooms and will contain specialized features such as a dedicated stroke unit, an activity of daily living space, a mobility courtyard and a therapy gym.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...tion-facility/

(BMHCC)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 9:50 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Crosstown Wins 20-Year Tax Break
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...ear-tax-break/

Quote:
The $180 million project to revitalize the Sears Crosstown building won a 20-year payment-in-lieu-of-taxes (PILOT) agreement Thursday, Oct. 10, from the Center City Revenue Finance Corp.
Quote:
The corporation’s board voted unanimously in favor of a term for the tax breaks that was five years longer than the 15-year cap that has been the board’s policy. The 15-year PILOT was the recommendation of the revenue finance corporation’s staff.

Finance corporation board member Robert Spence moved the 20-year PILOT, citing the catalytic effect on the larger area by the project. Crosstown is projected to include commercial, retail and residential space in the building for founding partners Methodist Healthcare, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, ALSAC (the fundraising arm of St. Jude), Church Health Center and Memphis Teacher Residency.
Quote:
The group still has several hurdles left, most notably $15 million in city funding the group is seeking through Memphis Mayor A C Wharton Jr.’s administration for infrastructure work, including some internal demolition of the massive Sears building.

After that, the project needs approval from the state of Tennessee and the National Park Service for tax credits that are integral to its complex financing.

“The stars are almost in alignment,” said developer Tony Bologna. “This is the one shot at getting the project done.

The 20-year payment-in-lieu-of-taxes agreement means Crosstown LLC will pay an estimated $11.9 million in city and county property and sales taxes over the 20-year term. Without such an agreement, they would have paid an estimated $53.8 million in property and other taxes.

The 15-year PILOT would have meant $7 million in city and county property and sales taxes over the 15 years; without that, they would have paid $40.3 million in property and other taxes.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 2:30 AM

FedEx breaks ground on new Memphis facility
Memphis Biz Journal

Quote:
The 88,000-square-foot facility will connect directly with Memphis hub operations, speeding up cold chain shipments for the subsidiary of FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX)
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...w-memphis.html

FedEx Corp.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 2:36 AM

Beale Street is America’s most iconic street
Memphis Biz Journal

Quote:
Memphis’ signature roadway (yes, cars still travel on it occasionally) took top honors in USA Today’s four-week-long contest to determine the country’s “Favorite Iconic American Street.”... More than 5.2 million visitors strolled through Beale Street in 2011, as the historic entertainment district continues to be Memphis’ top tourist attraction, according to the latest Memphis Business Journal research.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...st-iconic.html

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 10:12 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

From archimania's Twitter account:

Remainder of the building slab was poured today @hattiloo, steel frame is installed, & the block continues to rise!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 6:56 AM

wasn't beale street also the most visited tourist site in the state, as a state attraction? it is good to see so much positive news about the city, and for it to be acknowledged for so many known institutions, attractions, and "firsts". is it permissible to lengthen or broaden the beale street area to include more entertainment venues, restaurants, and the like?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 4:27 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I'm not posting this so much for the news of the sale, but more so for the photo in the article...pretty sweet (notice the trolley tracks).

Midtown apartments sold to local ownership group
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...-to-local.html
Quote:
A local partnership group has purchased a vintage apartment building in Midtown.
Commerce Park Associates LLC purchased the Alta Vista apartments at 1531 Poplar Ave. from a group of owners and trusts.
The 38,364-square-foot apartment property was built in 1936 and consists of 42 units.
Commerce Park Associates, a partnership based in East Memphis, paid $453,893.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 4:38 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Wharton talks about Beale Street expansion
http://www.wmctv.com/story/23669471/...reet-expansion

Quote:
(WMC-TV) - Memphis Mayor A C Wharton says the city is working on plans to expand the entertainment portion of Beale Street all the way to the Mississippi River.

Wharton tells Action News 5 the final legal obstacle regarding Handy Park has been finalized, and the city of Memphis will have control of the street within two months. Once in control, Wharton says negotiating with business interests and expanding Beale Street will become a reality.

"Beale Street may be the most iconic now, but let me tell you: You ain't seen nothing yet," Wharton said.
Quote:
"It would be nice to get everything really going well down there and then going down to the river, but however it works more business down here makes it better for us," said Agee.

Mayor Wharton says Beale street already has plenty to offer, but he adds that there is untapped potential.

"The most active part of Beale Street ought to be down there where historic Beale Street meets the mighty Mississippi River," he said. "That's our Broadway. That's our Times Square. And we're going to take it there."
Quote:
Mayor Wharton says he will make a presentation to the city council on Tuesday to explain how the legal battle has been finalized.
I'll already be there sitting through that so I'm looking forward to what he has to say.

I honestly think it would probably be better to develop Beale further east; that would also allow or jump start some development in the South of Forum area (would have helped a lot if the hotel down there would have been built). We've mentioned it numerous times that Beale Street Landing is going to hurt until there's more of a pedestrian connect to Beale...this is the plan.

I don't have anything against expanding Beale at all. This will hopefully bring people and money downtown, but I think as far as the downtown economy is concerned there should be more of a push toward residential development versus entertainment development. A constant presence of residents will demand more retail, entertainment, etc. I'm afraid an extension of Beale is only going to transfer the same amount of people from one particular bar to other forcing certain places out of business leaving Beale snaggle toothed.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 9:21 PM

i just assumed that any extension of beale would be in an easterly direction. i wonder if the proposed new extension might be cantilevered to create parking, over-sight viewing of the river and other attractions, in addition to directional roadway to disperse traffic either north and south or north or south only. obviously, this would involve a good deal of steal and concrete framing. if the area were to be memphis' version of broadway, time square, etc., imo, there would need to be a pretty impressive staging of lights, movement, announcements, both locally and nationally, and even a city menu of what is occurring throughout the city that is current at the time of announcement and announcements of coming entertainment, there venues, and so forth. as for the one beale project, is it a goner for sure? i have consistently been told that it will happen, and not that far in the not to distant future. i hope that is the case, a real disappointment, otherwise.

as for the alta vista rental complex, i seriously considered that location for a second apartment, when i had to be in some other cities for unknown lengths of time. at the time, several years ago, i thought i was going to have to move to the jackson hole area in wymoing and seattle. for me, they have some great charm. i love antiques, and i don't care much for contemporary settings. the issues that were a bit of a problem for me was the lack of w/d connections, air/heat units. and small kitchens. i loved the location and the beautiful tile roofs and color and the courtyard and architecture. i hope these folk aren't going to tear them down, maybe just upgrade them. we'll have to see.

Last edited by kingchef; Oct 15, 2013 at 9:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 9:33 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i just assumed that any extension of beale would be in an easterly direction.
The more I think about it, extending Beale to the west instead of to the east leaves more land for a private developer to come in and develop on the east side rather than a city led development. It just somewhat puzzled me that the mayor would want to go west instead of east (I personally think east would benefit the South Forum area better).

Quote:
as for the one beale project, is it a gonner for sure? i have consistently been told that it will happen, and not that far in the not to distant future. i hope that is the case, a real disappointment, otherwise.
See what I posted above. While Carlisle owns the land they want to built OneBeale on, the city extending Beale toward them might be somewhat of an infrastructure problem...I also don't know how close OneBeale would want to be located to a night club either. I personally think OneBeale in itself if dead, but that's not saying the possibility to develop something similar is dead. There's not anything current that I've heard of though.

Extending Beale to the west will also help tie it to South Main, which isn't a bad thing, but I personally think they stand alone and don't need each other to have success.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 9:58 PM

to me, it appears that the architectural detail of the curve moving outwardly toward the street, in the connecting sky bridges of the translational science building and the cancer research building are not going to occur. the photos, which have been shown from several angles seem to show the entire block on which the two buildings rest are simply straight-lined. the bow, which is shown in the original drawings, really make the building look so much better. imo, it lost a great deal w/out the curve.

i'm not laying it at the feet of the architects, however, it seems that so many projects begin as one concept and a good deal of the time, by the delivery date of the project, it is almost unrecognizable. even w/in sight of another project, the same can be said re: the nursing and bioscience building for southwest college. in that case, the last rendering looked much better than the first two, but we still have to wait and see how the final outcome will appear. this is not just a memphis thing, but it seems to be everywhere. i have yet to understand why international paper changed their 4th building so drastically from the other three. that building park would have made a beautiful skyscraper in the sapphire blue glass and aluminum/steel.

calvary church, downtown, used a very reputable architect; however, one or both sides must have temporarily gone insane, when they built that atrocity to such a significantly historic building. it made no sense to so many.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 8:35 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

100 North Main showing life signs? (Video)
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...ife-signs.html

Quote:
The 100 N. Main building is showing more signs of life, a few months after it changed hands for the first time since the 1970s.
The Downtown Memphis Commission hosted an event last week at the top of the 38-story building, the tallest in the city.
Built in 1965, the 436,280-square-foot building has 312,000 square feet available, an empty canvas which can be filled by the new owners, One Hundred North Main LLC
Quote:
With listed lease rates of $12 to $14 a square foot, the building is a viable option for office users looking for great views of the Mississippi with a cheap lease rate.
However, with office footprints shrinking, a mix of uses might be the best option.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations