HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post

speaking of which, work continues on I-don't-know-what next to the Caltrain tracks down there

I can't tell exactly where your photo was taken, but could it be this...

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...francisco.html

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilly View Post
I can't tell exactly where your photo was taken, but could it be this...

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...francisco.html
looks like the site in the picture is a couple blocks west of that development site (you can see the tops of the old warehouses that would be demolished, in the left background of the pic).

Looking at google maps, the construction site in that pic used to be a warehouse and a garage/junkyard for DeSoto and Flywheel taxi cabs.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
looks like the site in the picture is a couple blocks west of that development site (you can see the tops of the old warehouses that would be demolished, in the left background of the pic).

Looking at google maps, the construction site in that pic used to be a warehouse and a garage/junkyard for DeSoto and Flywheel taxi cabs.
Could be this, from propertymap.sfplanning.org

"Project includes SFPUC's purchase of the parcels (1975 Galvez Ave., APN 5250/016 and 555 Selby St., APN 5250/015) for use by San Francisco General Services Agency (GSA), as well as the GSA's leasing of one parcel (450 Toland St., APN 5230/018). Project also includes demolition of two existing structures totaling 16,650 sq. ft. and construction of a new 52,972 sq. ft. GSA Central Shops building on two parcels at Selby and Galvez, and tenant improvements to existing structure at 450 Toland St. to be used as a GSA automotive service garage/facility."

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:03 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
Could be this, ... construction of a new 52,972 sq. ft. GSA Central Shops building on two parcels at Selby and Galvez, ..."
yes, looking at Google maps, Selby and Galvez looks like a plausible address for the parcel in the pic, thanks for the search!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 10:40 PM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 5:33 AM

975 Bryant Street

I walked by the site of the future development planned at 975 Bryant St. which is currently occupied by a low rise building with a large parking lot. The San Francisco Planning Dept. approved with conditions on August 24, 2017, document 2015-005862 ENX. of which this image comes from. Will the color be what is pictured here when built? I like the colors. Nothing new in the architecture here.

I had lunch at 11 Division St. today near this future development. It is quite a changing neighborhood!

975 Bryant

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 5:57 AM

Don't care for yellow. Really don't care for it in buildings.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
I walked by the site of the future development planned at 975 Bryant St. which is currently occupied by a low rise building with a large parking lot. The San Francisco Planning Dept. approved with conditions on August 24, 2017, document 2015-005862 ENX. of which this image comes from. Will the color be what is pictured here when built? I like the colors. Nothing new in the architecture here.

I had lunch at 11 Division St. today near this future development. It is quite a changing neighborhood!

975 Bryant
That is...yellow.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post

975 Bryant
So short (and yellow). What a waste of potential. It is better than a parking lot though.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 7:09 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Don't care for yellow. Really don't care for it in buildings.
Whether one likes yellow or not, it could become dated looking very quickly, especially with so much of it.

I immediately thought that about ICON SF (originally The Icon, which it's certainly not) at Market/Noe/16th Street when it was built. Its shade of orange already looked dated, not to mention the poor design, imo instantly making it the worst new building on upper Market.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 9:03 PM

^^I didn't know yellow was particularly associated with this period. Otherwise, how would it "date" the structure? On the other hand, I'm just not a fan of extensive use of bright colors in large buildings (structures much larger than single family homes of a period when such colors might have been used historically). Especially "hot" colors. Prefer "cool" blues and greens.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^I didn't know yellow was particularly associated with this period. Otherwise, how would it "date" the structure? On the other hand, I'm just not a fan of extensive use of bright colors in large buildings (structures much larger than single family homes of a period when such colors might have been used historically). Especially "hot" colors. Prefer "cool" blues and greens.
I think the dark reddish color of the 52 story building at Montgomery & California (former BofA HQ) is nice & tastefully done (red granite?). So is the dark reddish color of Wells Fargo Center in Los Angeles. While from a distance the mostly bright white residential districts of SF (set against the green parks) are striking (almost Greek in appearance), some color variety is OK, if done tastefully. The pastel colors of the Victorian houses on Alamo Square come to mind. Dignified, not garish. In L.A., the red, green & blue buildings of the Pacific Design Center actually work. So does the light blue of the Eastern Columbia Bldg. in DTLA. And what is wrong with some yellow, at least in residential buildings? Yellow is a cheerful color. Latin American and African cities are full of color, as are those in the Mediterranean countries (except Greece, where white is predominate in most cities and towns).

"The coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco". M. Twain. Not this week!

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 2, 2017 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 2:48 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I think the dark reddish color of the 52 story building at Montgomery & California (former BofA HQ) is nice & tastefully done (red granite?).
555 California is clad in Carnelian granite, expensive and beautiful. It has been discussed in Forum threads with some people not liking it; personally, I'm very fond of it. I'm a fan of color done well on a good design.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 5:21 AM

Big difference between the natural dark color of the granite on this building and bright yellow painted stucco. I'm with you on the granite. I like it fine. In fact, I'm pretty much fine with any natural color--just not bright paint on modern buildings. It's garish as opposed to restrained and elegant.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 1:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

A little yellow goes a long way.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 7:52 PM

the yellow building would be where the olive-drab one is just on the far side of the freeway overpass in this pic. its fluorescence might not even be enough to get it noticed at this location!

but I was surprised that the little alley just next to it seemed to have some life in it when I was by there the other day

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 8:36 PM

Dogpatch

the hits keep coming in Dogpatch, as more of the existing structures get knocked down and carted off...

901 Tennessee, at 20th, is mostly rubble

to make way for this

this of course is just down the street from 815 Tennessee, in progress

and 2177 Third St, at 19th, is also disappearing

and will be this

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 9:14 PM

elsewhere in Dogpatch, the little plaza on Indiana is getting some green

the office building on Brannan near Fourth

north side of Harrison between Third and Fourth

how the new section of Moscone connects with the existing part behind it, seen from Third St

corner of Third and Howard

the hole fronting Howard is getting decked over, looks like

some more hope for mid-Market: the Renoir, now Proper, Hotel is about to open, finally

the sidewalk details look good

north side of Mission near Seventh

99 Rausch (Folsom, near Seventh)

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 9:27 PM

855 Brannan has lost more of its shroud. looking south along Eighth

the indent where the retail corridor through the complex will be, Brannan side

in context

the Brannan St side is also broken up by a gantryway

more context

the retail corridor seen from the alley side

alley context

north along Eighth St sidewalk

SW corner on Eighth

overall, this one is growing on me. I was worried it was going to be too monolithic, but the mass is broken up enough, and the remaining bulk actually echoes its surroundings

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 9:56 PM

the office building on Townsend

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations