HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
I don't know if I agree that we are reaching a saturation point for areas like Magazine, Freret and Oak, but having said that, I do agree with your statement about Broad Street. I have always personally believed OC Haley Blvd has a lot of potential though. Once they announced the Loyola Avenue and Rampart streetcar lines I have had it in my head that it would be great if the Loyola line could then go down OC Haley blvd. I realize this may be impossible with the Pontchatrain Expressway being right there, but it seems that in the future it could be a good destination especially with the area zoned for higher density development.
I agree about the potential of OC Haley Blvd. The history and architecture of that street are both rich, and the street has the potential to recapture a really cool vibe. I'm not sure if the redevelopment is a black/white issue. In fact, I don't think it is. The Freret neighborhood is mixed. Gentrification has pushed a number of the poorer businesses out, but who is to say that wouldn't happen on Broad or especially on OC Haley. I think the particular beauty of OC Haley redevelopment (and the Southern Food and Beverage Museum relocation is a great first step) is that it could be a corridor that is attractive to people of all races. Maybe I'm dreaming though. Broad has some good things going too. There are interesting redevelopment plans for the Schewegman building, which could make it a real hub around which redevelopment takes off.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 4:10 PM
-

Im all for development and hope all races feel comfortable using these redeveloping areas. At the end of the day businesses cater to where money can be made and thats what will happen!

Also here is a little update on the Freret Streetscape Project:

http://uptownmessenger.com/2011/10/f...rt/#more-12017

Also, In case anyone cares they have started delivering equipment and surveying for the I-10 expansion by Veterans.

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 6, 2011 at 4:33 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschin2 View Post
regarding the house on St. Charles Ave. that the owners want to replace, I'm all for it...and here's why: KEN TATE

If you aren't familiar with his work, shame on you. He is, in my opinion, the greatest classicist in existence...and I'm not kidding. Go to his website
www.kentatearchitect.com

I can assure you that whatever design he proposes for that site, it will fit right in, and it will blow the existing house out of the water.
I don't know, as far as classicists go he looks pretty good, but just from looking at his portfolio he seems to not really go for grand detail, which I think is important on a street like St. Charles. Would like to see the actual renderings, but I'm sure we're in for another big fight either way.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 7:39 PM
-

Good article from the Times on ST Roch:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...to_reviva.html

Maurepas Foods slated to open in Bywater

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...pen-in-bywater

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 6, 2011 at 10:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 11:51 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT View Post
I agree about the potential of OC Haley Blvd. The history and architecture of that street are both rich, and the street has the potential to recapture a really cool vibe. I'm not sure if the redevelopment is a black/white issue. In fact, I don't think it is. The Freret neighborhood is mixed. Gentrification has pushed a number of the poorer businesses out, but who is to say that wouldn't happen on Broad or especially on OC Haley. I think the particular beauty of OC Haley redevelopment (and the Southern Food and Beverage Museum relocation is a great first step) is that it could be a corridor that is attractive to people of all races. Maybe I'm dreaming though. Broad has some good things going too. There are interesting redevelopment plans for the Schewegman building, which could make it a real hub around which redevelopment takes off.
Yeah, I have absolutely no desire to price out local, neighborhood businesses. I just want all the vacant properties to be returned to commerce and create a thriving, pedestrian-oriented strip. I could care less whether they're selling foie gras or chitlins.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 1:28 AM

Redevelopment

St claude is pretty much locked in for continued development but does anyone think that St Benard ave from Rampart to the Circle food store has any chance after the street cars start rolling on Rampart?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I could care less whether they're selling foie gras or chitlins.
I agree with you. Redeveloping blighted storefronts is great, no matter what goes in them. But in terms of where the untapped potential is in this city, I think encouraging the development of storefront retail in black neighborhoods could be huge. I moved back to NOLA after spending two years in Los Angeles, and I also lived in DC for a few years in the early 00s. In those cities there seems to be a lot more retail in minority, lower-income neighborhoods. I'm talking restaurants, clothing stores, coffee shops, car repair shops, you name it.

For example, is there any good reason why there can't be a PJ's or CC's on Broad St? Or more clothing retailers that aren't Athlete's Foots or Urban Wear? Seems to me like we have a majority black city that has few establishments offering services to this population. I'm sure high poverty is part of it, but we also have a large black middle and workign class. Having lived in Los Angeles, I know New Orleans could support more retail in lower-income areas, and there are so many storefronts in these areas (And vacant lots) begging to be developed.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron70115 View Post
I agree with you. Redeveloping blighted storefronts is great, no matter what goes in them. But in terms of where the untapped potential is in this city, I think encouraging the development of storefront retail in black neighborhoods could be huge. I moved back to NOLA after spending two years in Los Angeles, and I also lived in DC for a few years in the early 00s. In those cities there seems to be a lot more retail in minority, lower-income neighborhoods. I'm talking restaurants, clothing stores, coffee shops, car repair shops, you name it.

For example, is there any good reason why there can't be a PJ's or CC's on Broad St? Or more clothing retailers that aren't Athlete's Foots or Urban Wear? Seems to me like we have a majority black city that has few establishments offering services to this population. I'm sure high poverty is part of it, but we also have a large black middle and workign class. Having lived in Los Angeles, I know New Orleans could support more retail in lower-income areas, and there are so many storefronts in these areas (And vacant lots) begging to be developed.
Nothing to add here other than to say that I wholeheartedly agree.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:02 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron70115 View Post
I moved back to NOLA after spending two years in Los Angeles, and I also lived in DC for a few years in the early 00s.
The problem is that there's not enough density to support long stretches of neighborhood retail.

New Orleans has a similar residential unit density to Los Angeles, but far less unit density than DC. The difference is that there's very little abandonment in either city as opposed to New Orleans, so New Orleans feels urban without having the density to back it up.

The other issue is that New Orleans has always had a more heterogenous mix of retail and residential. Neighborhood stores cluster in small groups of 3-4 businesses around a residential intersection, while the main streets don't have much retail at all - they just have bigger homes, or multi-unit apartment buildings.

Contrast that with a Los Angeles or Chicago where the main streets are lined with commercial zoning, and in between the major streets, it's purely residential.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The problem is that there's not enough density to support long stretches of neighborhood retail.
100% Correct. New Orleans has 1/2 the population today than it did in the 1960s when small businesses were plentiful and vibrant in these residential neighborhoods.

This is why I think the biggest development tool for New Orleans would be to eliminate the reasons people move to suburbs (stop the annoying car taxes, inventory taxes, adjust the property tax and sanitation/water to be the same as Jefferson Parish, streamline the permitting process, and make the city more job friendly). Then, developments like the St. Roch Market will sprout up by themselves with no taxpayer help.

This is another reason I'm not very excited about I-10 being widened in Metairie. It's just another example of taxing money from urban-dwellers to subsidize an inefficient suburban lifestyle (at the expense of the urban-dwellers neighborhoods).

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:47 PM

Booom boooom

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._be_demol.html

Quote:
Grand Palace Hotel to be demolished Nov. 20 to make room for University Medical Center

The Louisiana state facilities office has set Nov. 20 for the implosion of the long-shuttered Grand Palace Hotel to make way for the new $1.1 billion University Medical Center. The 18-story, 1,032-room hotel on the corner of Canal Street and South Claiborne Avenue never reopened following the 2005 Hurricane Katrina flood. Taking down the building is one of the last significant pre-construction tasks as state contractor prepares to build the successor to the Charity Hospital, another downtown building that has remained closed since Katrina.......

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 5:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
This is another reason I'm not very excited about I-10 being widened in Metairie. It's just another example of taxing money from urban-dwellers to subsidize an inefficient suburban lifestyle (at the expense of the urban-dwellers neighborhoods).
Widening the I-10 project is mostly about access to the airport. At least I think the ride to and from the airport will look better. Traffic will hardly change but it will look nicer~

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 6:04 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
This is why I think the biggest development tool for New Orleans would be to eliminate the reasons people move to suburbs (stop the annoying car taxes, inventory taxes, adjust the property tax and sanitation/water to be the same as Jefferson Parish, streamline the permitting process, and make the city more job friendly). Then, developments like the St. Roch Market will sprout up by themselves with no taxpayer help.
That's not a perfect solution. New Orleans and other cities are inherently more expensive places to operate than suburbs. For example: all those ugly drainage canals that chop Metairie up into pieces exist in New Orleans too, but they are buried in expensive underground culverts so that the streetgrid can continue right over the top.

If you're doing it right, the city also generates more wealth than the suburbs, since it attracts creative people and provides the right conditions for innovation to take place. Very few advances in human development occurred outside of cities. This additional wealth makes up for the greater utilization.

Plus, the higher population density means you can achieve a greater economy of scale and spread the cost of all the expensive infrastructure over more people. But depopulated New Orleans isn't really any denser than Metairie - it just has a full network of sidewalks and beautiful vegetation. That means the city can't afford to lose any more revenue. The Katrina largesse is running out, fast - we can't expect the Feds to pay our tab forever.

What I would focus on, rather than lowering taxes, is removing regulatory barriers. For example: abolishing the liquor license. Virtually every restaurant in the city thinks they need to sell alcohol to be successful. So why make them jump through hoops to get a license? Zoning changes should also be easier... you could send all zoning changes to an appointed Zoning Commission, whose word would be final. Take the decision-making out of the hands of elected officials.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._be_demol.html Grand Palace Hotel to be demolished Nov. 20 to make room for University Medical Center

The Louisiana state facilities office has set Nov. 20 for the implosion of the long-shuttered Grand Palace Hotel to make way for the new $1.1 billion University Medical Center. The 18-story, 1,032-room hotel on the corner of Canal Street and South Claiborne Avenue never reopened following the 2005 Hurricane Katrina flood. Taking down the building is one of the last significant pre-construction tasks as state contractor prepares to build the successor to the Charity Hospital, another downtown building that has remained closed since Katrina.......
Is the Victorian house across Derbigny St. from the Palace being demolished, saved, or moved as part of the medical center development?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 10:46 PM
TL;DR

That's "Orleans House", and it is being renovated in its current location. I'm not sure what it will be used for, but there's probably some administrative function or security office or something that needs a small satellite building.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 9:00 PM

Hyatt Regency reopens this week after Hurricane Katrina

For more than six years after the winds of Hurricane Katrina blew out dozens of the hotel's windows, the property has been shuttered while development has occurred all around it.

But the Hyatt plans to make a splash when it reopens Oct. 19, the last of the major New Orleans hotels to do so following the 2005 storm.

LINK

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 3:30 AM

Interesting little tidbit from nola:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...than_most.html

Quote:
While Louisiana was slightly below the national average in growth of personal income over the previous year, it ranked 10th in employment growth, 11th in population growth, and tied with Minnesota for the 13th-lowest unemployment rate.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 12:25 PM
-

Having a high population growth coupled with low unemployment is a great thing to accomplish these days.

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 10, 2011 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 4:08 PM

McDonogh No. 11

Seems there's a big hiccup in the moving of the historic structure in the UMC footprint. There's termite damage that puts the project in jeopardy. Hopefully it's fixable.
http://www.nola.com/education/index....te_damage.html

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 8:40 PM
-

LSU returns to work on human development center
by Christian Moises, News Editor

October 10th, 2011 · No Comments · Blog
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center had driven pilings for a new human development center on the site of the former Hotel Dieu about three weeks before Hurricane Katrina.

Now, more than six years later, LSUHSC’s School of Allied Health Professions will resume work on the project, and Harahan-based Walton Construction was the apparent low bidder for the project at $26.4 million.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...opment-center/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations