HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:25 PM

Two Projects

Is there any update on the Canopy by Hilton project?

Also, any word on the condo development on Banks Street? I think it finally got approved?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Carondelet Street Properties Sold to Investment Fund

http://canalstreetbeat.com/carondele...vestment-fund/
This is, without a doubt, the worst block of downtown. Anything to spur development here will help.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post

Also, any word on the condo development on Banks Street? I think it finally got approved?
The Canopy is a mystery ... i know there were some legal issues with the Canopy and how the building is built as far as right of ways are concerned..

The Banks project was doing a stormwater plan so that should be moving forward once thats accepted

Hotel project Im a part of will hopefully receive approvals tomorrow from City Council. I think people will find it an exciting project when done!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
The Canopy is a mystery ... i know there were some legal issues with the Canopy and how the building is built as far as right of ways are concerned..

The Banks project was doing a stormwater plan so that should be moving forward once thats accepted

Hotel project Im a part of will hopefully receive approvals tomorrow from City Council. I think people will find it an exciting project when done!
The Canopy project was proposed in the old Oil & Gas building, right? I passed by there 1-2 times a week throughout the summer and fall and would often see 1 or 2 pick-up trucks parked outside. I also noticed that many of the windows on the masonry clad side of the building facing the Saratoga Building & Loyola Ave were opened when i am not sure they were open before. Its possible there was some exploratory demo or environmental surveying that was taking place. We havent seen any permits or land use applications for that project so i wonder if they didnt run into environmental issues or some other design related issues that expanded the scope of work and caused the delays. I could totally be wrong though.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 7:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
The Canopy project was proposed in the old Oil & Gas building, right? I passed by there 1-2 times a week throughout the summer and fall and would often see 1 or 2 pick-up trucks parked outside. I also noticed that many of the windows on the masonry clad side of the building facing the Saratoga Building & Loyola Ave were opened when i am not sure they were open before. Its possible there was some exploratory demo or environmental surveying that was taking place. We havent seen any permits or land use applications for that project so i wonder if they didnt run into environmental issues or some other design related issues that expanded the scope of work and caused the delays. I could totally be wrong though.
I believe the building was constructed partially over the right of way and if you ever walked that sidewalk you would know something was messed up back in the day. That said a simple right of way agreement with property management could rectify it.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 8:15 PM

Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post

The building has been for sale for a while. I doubt the canopy is happening. FNBC bank was the financing bank, so I think the development group stopped. The group is a big national hotel developer...anything is possible.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 9:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnolae16 View Post
The building has been for sale for a while. I doubt the canopy is happening. FNBC bank was the financing bank, so I think the development group stopped. The group is a big national hotel developer...anything is possible.
didnt realize that was who was financing it... however i dont see any listings for it being for sale? you have a link for that listing existing? i checked for 201 s rampart and 1100 tulane ave and came up blank

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 9:45 PM

Quote:
didnt realize that was who was financing it... however i dont see any listings for it being for sale? you have a link for that listing existing? i checked for 201 s rampart and 1100 tulane ave and came up blank
It's not being publicly marketed

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:28 PM
-

Quote:
It's not being publicly marketed
Ok can you share what the asking price is ?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:17 PM

This nola.com article mentions that John Georges purchased the building Swiss Confectionary is housed back in June. Curious to know what's going there.

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf...ml#incart_2box

Quote:
According to public records, a company owned by businessman John Georges bought the St. Charles Avenue property for $1.3 million in June 2017.
747 St. Charles Avenue

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
This nola.com article mentions that John Georges purchased the building Swiss Confectionary is housed back in June. Curious to know what's going there.

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf...ml#incart_2box

747 St. Charles Avenue
No insight to the plans, but it is just a block from The Advocate's offices, also own by Georges, so possibly room for expansion.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
No insight to the plans, but it is just a block from The Advocate's offices, also own by Georges, so possibly room for expansion.
isnt john georges a part owner of Galatoires too?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:39 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
isnt john georges a part owner of Galatoires too?
he is, he's redoing that building across from the front of the Monteleone on Royal

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
he is, he's redoing that building across from the front of the Monteleone on Royal
I could see him doing a warehouse district version of Galatoires

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 1:59 AM
NOLA Razorback

1031 Canal

There’s officially a tower crane up at the site.. could it be it actually happens?? Gasp

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
There’s officially a tower crane up at the site.. could it be it actually happens?? Gasp
I'd there's an tower crane...it's happening.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 6:50 AM

Quote:
I'd there's an tower crane...it's happening.
The family behind this is pretty shady but it would be awesome to see that building.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
The family behind this is pretty shady but it would be awesome to see that building.
I've heard a member of another Kailas family has some shadiness, but the one actually building it (Mohan) is pretty straight up from what people say. There's no way he'd be able to borrow that kind of money if he was shady. He has articles on Huff post and Entrepreneur.

TBH big banks have too many deals to choose from to risk around this much money in New Orleans with shady people. Regardless a project this size is great for the city.

Also, I think the same guy is about to formally announce another project.

Last edited by cnolae16; Jan 28, 2018 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 4:47 PM
-

Quote:
I've heard a member or two of the family has some shadiness, but the one actually building it (Mohan) is pretty straight up from what people say. There's no way he'd be able to borrow that kind of money if he was shady. He has articles on Huff post and Entrepreneur.

TBH big banks have too many deals to choose from to risk around this much money in New Orleans with shady people. Regardless a project this size is great for the city.

Also, I think the same guy is about to formally announce another project.
Regardless, having Hard Rock on board is pretty much a deal maker. Im assuming when this hotel opens the Hard Rock on Bourbon will close... no reason to have two restaurants in such close proximity.

What do you mean by same guy about to announce another project?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Regardless, having Hard Rock on board is pretty much a deal maker. Im assuming when this hotel opens the Hard Rock on Bourbon will close... no reason to have two restaurants in such close proximity.

What do you mean by same guy about to announce another project?
He’s involved with some apartment project, but I’m not sure which one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations