HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:09 PM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Because people are pansies. Thats exactly what should happen.
Some of you guys should really think for more than 2 seconds about these homeless "solutions" before throwing your full support behind them.

This reminds me a bit of the "concentration camp" idea someone suggested a while back (can't remember who it was).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:20 PM

2018 is the year the retail and restaurant life in downtown hits its next level.

Just saw Shake Shake at the corner of 8th and hill to be opening soon.
West Elm arrives in the broadway palace building.
Metropolis’ main retail drag will open up the west side of downtown.
Circa lights up fig and reveals its huge retail/restaurant quarters.
Broadway trade center opens.
Apple arrives at the Tower theater.
Erewhon open up on the edge of broadway and South Park.

So much... and that’s just the core... not even arts district or city west

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
I live in City West. As for it being low-income, I doubt it. I can tell you that from Witmer east, things are really changing, but west of Witmer is a different story. Still kind of shitty all the way to Lafayette Park. The area by MacArthur? Disaster. Which is sad, because it could be a really beautiful park like Echo. I am sure most of the area will change dramatically in the next decade or so.
There is no where I'd like to see gentrify more than Westlake / MacArthur Park. There are just too many gems in that neighborhood to be left rotting away.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:32 PM

Welp.... it will be 2 years next month since the start of this new thread. Let’s look at where we’ve come

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Nice!!

Here is the skyline as it is today - extremely different from how it will be in 2 years time.
Downtown Los Angeles by Hunter, on Flickr

And here is my personal list, which I will keep updating and re-uploading.

Current as of March 21st 2017:

DTLA Towers Under Construction by Hunter, on Flickr

2012-2018 Downtown LA Cycle (Proposed Towers) by Hunter, on Flickr
So we’ve literally built everything from the top table. All of the proposals are completed or under construction from the start of this cycle in the table. It’s time we hear about these coming projects and possible start/completion dates. Need more word from the likes of Onni on its 2 projects, Olympia, Shenzhen hazen. Updates on groundbreaking’s anyone??

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post

Apple arrives at the Tower theater.
Has Apple themselves confirmed this? All I've seen are just "sources confirm" but never a direct statement from Apple.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
Has Apple themselves confirmed this? All I've seen are just "sources confirm" but never a direct statement from Apple.
This is not big enough news for a company as large as Apple to “confirm.” This is neither a first of its kind store, nor is it a huge deal. It is a big deal though for those of us who love Downtown.

One example is Zara. They opened a flagship West Coast operation at 7th & Fig and the news was revealed via the LA times. News filtered to other sources and nowhere did Zara make a statement about it. The Times article did quote someone in on the deal and it was Brookfield; the developer, Revealing the info. Neither Zara, or H&M said anything directly to press. Shake shack has signs up for a new outpost Downtown and not a peep from anyone at corporate. It’s usually a “source” on these types of things.

Last edited by hughfb3; Jan 18, 2018 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
That idea wouldn't really work out since you're essentially creating a ghetto that will foster criminal activity and will require a ton of police/fire/ambulance to maintain. Just imagine the kids who'd come out of a 3rd world shithole that is literally full of junkies and mentally ill people. This solution would just create bigger problems down the line.
Its a better option than having tents in the middle of a functioning city. Also, these areas can be monitored and have security as well as services

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian Steel View Post
Some of you guys should really think for more than 2 seconds about these homeless "solutions" before throwing your full support behind them.

This reminds me a bit of the "concentration camp" idea someone suggested a while back (can't remember who it was).
Ive thought about this a lot. I live a few blocks from skid row (and have for 9 years now) and interact with these "homeless" all the time. The narrative that these are down on their financial luck kind of people is absolutely false. Most of these people are either mentally ill, drug addicts / drunks or former criminals. None of them want structure or help. We have to come to grips with the fact that there is a significant portion of society that is useless and doesnt want to be a productive member.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Welp.... it will be 2 years next month since the start of this new thread. Let’s look at where we’ve come

So we’ve literally built everything from the top table. All of the proposals are completed or under construction from the start of this cycle in the table. It’s time we hear about these coming projects and possible start/completion dates. Need more word from the likes of Onni on its 2 projects, Olympia, Shenzhen hazen. Updates on groundbreaking’s anyone??
Yup, amazing changes! We should hopefully see some groundbreakings by mid year to year end. Im thinking Cambria Hotel (its fenced off), Shenzen, Grand Ave, possibly fig and pico and 11th and Olive?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:34 AM

Let us increase our attention and focus to find something on topic engage about. Homelessness is a topic for another thread and is not affecting a particular project Downtown.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Updates on groundbreaking’s anyone??

Quote:
100 S GRAND AVE 90012
Bldg-Demolition Application Submittal 11/15/2017
DEMO PARKING STRUCTURE, CLEAR LOT AND FENCE

Application / Permit
17019-10000-04924
Plan Check / Job No.
B17LA20947
Group
Building
Type
Bldg-Demolition
Sub-Type
Commercial
Primary Use

Work Description
DEMO PARKING STRUCTURE, CLEAR LOT AND FENCE
Permit Issued
No

Current Status
Application Submittal on 11/15/2017

curbedla.com

yelp.com

Quote:
1.0 star rating
1/17/2018

This was a terrible choice. The hut sits next door to the Central Market in Downtown in a paid parking lot. That should have been my first warning. The tables were dirty...extremely dirty. They seemed to have regulars but since we weren't regulars we ended up waiting 20 minutes and at that point I had to leave so I requested a refund. An aggressive homeless man was dipping in and out of the dining area. The owner was rude . Terrible customer service.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:04 AM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Ive thought about this a lot. I live a few blocks from skid row (and have for 9 years now) and interact with these "homeless" all the time. The narrative that these are down on their financial luck kind of people is absolutely false. Most of these people are either mentally ill, drug addicts / drunks or former criminals. None of them want structure or help. We have to come to grips with the fact that there is a significant portion of society that is useless and doesnt want to be a productive member.
This is true but is also simplistic ... The main thing is we need to build housing for them... Without preconditions. Boxbro was mocked but we do need towers of microunits. The microunits downtown aren't perfect but they are very popular. We need like a hundred thousand small units at least downtown just for downtown and everything walkable and transit accessible

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 7:40 AM

I can’t wait for that loop area to be built on the Oceanwide center

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 9:59 AM

Dunkin’ Donuts Opening Inside LA’s Busiest Subway Station

http://brighamyen.com/2018/01/19/dun...ubway-station/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 11:52 PM

LAStateHistPark1 by Brett Thomas, on Flickr

LAStateHistPark2 by Brett Thomas, on Flickr

Recent post-rain pics of LA State Historic Park. Been waiting since it opened to see the ponds begin to fill up. It will be a wonderful place once the birds, and hopefully someday fish make their way over from the LA River.

Last edited by BigCityOfDreams; Jan 20, 2018 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 4:09 AM

^ is that supposed to be a lake?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 4:24 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

LASHP is an example of what LA needs more of: park space and simple, non-fussy design. I love all the open grassy space; it reminds me of Central Park's Great Lawn. Can't wait for the trees to grow out and provide more shade.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 8:01 AM

Anyone here aware of the Chick-Fil-A going in at 7th/Metro Center? Kinda cool. Also, makes me think - why is there no McDonald's downtown?? Was there ever? Except for the one near Santee Alley which closed?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Anyone here aware of the Chick-Fil-A going in at 7th/Metro Center? Kinda cool. Also, makes me think - why is there no McDonald's downtown?? Was there ever? Except for the one near Santee Alley which closed?
I frequent the one on Washington & Olive but I guess you're right. Wasn't there one on Broadway that shut down a few years ago?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
This is true but is also simplistic ... The main thing is we need to build housing for them... Without preconditions. Boxbro was mocked but we do need towers of microunits. The microunits downtown aren't perfect but they are very popular. We need like a hundred thousand small units at least downtown just for downtown and everything walkable and transit accessible
Eventually some smart developer will catch on and build a tower with thousands of micro-units (under 500 sq. feet) with affordable prices and make a fortune. Yes...microunits can be profitable. Updated SROs but clean. We need millions of these. Not everyone can afford $1 million condos. They often are sold to foreigners as investments and sit dark and empty most of the time. We need micros where people will live and can afford. For the 2028 Olympics, I would suggest that L.A. build an Olympic Village in or near downtown for the athletes, that could later be turned into micro-unit housing. The UCLA dorms may be cheaper, but won't make a dent in the housing crisis.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 20, 2018 at 11:06 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations