HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 5:11 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRJ View Post
^ Too bad it won't meet the wrecking ball. I think it's such a bland, out-of-place building.
It's bland, but I don't necessarily have a problem with it's location. I do think it would be in the best interest of whoever winds up owning it to repaint the facade.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 9:00 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Midtown church being converted to apartments
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...o.html?ana=twt

Quote:
Memphis-based architecture firm Archimania is branching out into residential development with a project that will give Midtown a few new apartments.
The firm, which partnered with Patton & Taylor Enterprises, is redeveloping First Congregational Memphis, located at 1000 Cooper St., into a seven-unit apartment building. The $750,000 project is expected to begin construction in about a month and be completed in August.
Quote:
Todd Walker, a principal with Archimania, said the 5,800-square-foot building will increase to about 7,400 square feet with the pulpit and baptism area of the church incorporated into the design. Walker said the firm initially wanted to develop the church into condominiums when they acquired it in 2006. But the residential real estate market collapse in 2008 made them change their minds. However, the property has been leased to two different churches since Archimania acquired it.
Quote:
The apartments will range in size from 1,300 to 1,800 square feet, and he said they could be marketed to young professionals or medical students who are attending the University of Tennessee Health Science Center or Southern College of Optometry. Walker said they could begin renting out units in late July or early August.
“It won’t be hard to fill,” he said. “The way we’re approaching this is, if 80 years from now it made more sense for the building to be a church, it would be easy to remove the apartments and convert it back.”

Last edited by arkitekte; Feb 3, 2014 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 9:42 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

^ its actually the old First Congo on Watkins at Eastmoreland- they got the address wrong.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 10:25 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomJ View Post
^ its actually the old First Congo on Watkins at Eastmoreland- they got the address wrong.
I went back to the MBJ site and saw the photo had changed, didn't re-read the article so I was lost. Thanks for catching that. The address is still wrong in my post, but it's 236 S. Watkins for those interested.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 2:35 AM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

New Apartments coming south of FedExForum, and, once again, not a local developer-
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...n.html?ana=twt

Quote:
In what could be a big win for the late-blooming area, a Nashville-based development firm is hoping to build a 64-unit apartment complex south of FedExForum in Downtown Memphis.
Quote:
Site designs submitted to the Memphis and Shelby County Office of Planning and Development show the developers plan to build a large four-story building next to Second Street and a smaller three-story building on the back of the property next to Third. Plans also call for 1,642 square feet of retail or office space.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 5:21 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^That should be pretty solid, especially if there's retail and/or office space provided as well.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:13 PM

Hard Rock sets announcement Feb. 12
The Commercial Appeal

Quote:
Details of the Hard Rock Cafe Memphis relocation are scheduled to be revealed during a press conference at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Lansky Building, 126 Beale. Hard Rock International chief executive officer Hamish Dodds will make the announcement. Hard Rock is expected to be part of a multitenant development including a Memphis music museum.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...D=happeningnow

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 3:41 PM

Here's an article about PILOT Reform that shows construction update pics with cranes in the sky for East Memphis & Frayser.

Economic development leaders weigh changes to incentive program
Memphis Daily News

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...form-movement/

International Place Tower IV (International Paper Global Corporate HQ) - (Memphis News/Andrew J. Breig)

$300Million+ expansion of Nike's "Northridge" distribution facility in Frayser (North Memphis) - (Memphis News/Andrew J. Breig)

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Feb 9, 2014 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:19 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^^^Thanks for posting!

I'll try to take some update photos of the International Paper tower this week.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 3:40 AM

Developer details $40M Highland Row plan
Memphis Biz Journal

Quote:
The board unanimously approved a modification request by Milhaus to raise the apartment unit count to 354 from 240 and scale back retail to 26,800 square feet from about 100,000. The plan also calls for 35 townhouses, which aren't included in the $40 million project cost estimate of the developer.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...g-milhaus.html

Alan Howell | MBJ

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 3:48 AM

MCR Safety isn't done growing $28M later
Memphis Biz Journal

Quote:
After spending roughly $27.7 million on a new Collierville headquarters and Piperton distribution center, MCR Safety still has room to grow. The Memphis-based personal protective equipment company expects to expand within five years into 7,000 more square feet at its 45,000-square-foot corporate office in Schilling Farms and to double its 500,000-square-foot warehouse in Piperton on the south side of U.S. 72 just west of Highway 196.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ntermodal.html

COURTESY RENAISSANCE GROUP INC.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 3:55 AM

Stage right: Historic Orpheum to build modern arts/education center next door
The Commercial Appeal

Quote:
Construction may start next month on the $15 million Orpheum Centre for Performing Arts and Education.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-build-modern/

(Courtesy The Crump Firm)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Stage right: Historic Orpheum to build modern arts/education center next door
The Commercial Appeal

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-build-modern/

(Courtesy The Crump Firm)
It's about time downtown Memphis got architecturally creative. The majority of the downtown structures look ancient compared to other US cities.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 11:59 PM

while i do agree w/ huntsvillenative and his observations of portions of downtown, i do have an affinity for many of the late 19th and 20th century buildings. i truly think that downtown needs some critically placed skyscrapers and some mid-level classically themed buildings. a good place for some of these buildings would fit in nicely across from the justice complex. i hope downtown will get a new highrise out of the fbi proposed relocation. the hill building will surely find a tenant. if we don't have a campaign that centers on building what is needed in the core, what is wanted, and where it should be located, in order to attract new companies, as well as local ones, it will always be a hard sale. while i agree w/ financial discretion in finances, i think money has to be spent to attract those passing through the city, whether looking for employment, placement of a company or business, or advocating for moving the family, in order to begin a new life. amenities, public buildings, libraries, etc. all can be quickly assessed, as one drives through, especially when the city has some lights burning. the news last night pointed out the amount of lights burning in one of the highrises. i really thought it was a silly story, as there are so many stories that should be told that seem to escape the news outlets in this community.

no less, i am glad to see a public project started.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
while i do agree w/ huntsvillenative and his observations of portions of downtown, i do have an affinity for many of the late 19th and 20th century buildings. i truly think that downtown needs some critically placed skyscrapers and some mid-level classically themed buildings. a good place for some of these buildings would fit in nicely across from the justice complex. i hope downtown will get a new highrise out of the fbi proposed relocation. the hill building will surely find a tenant. if we don't have a campaign that centers on building what is needed in the core, what is wanted, and where it should be located, in order to attract new companies, as well as local ones, it will always be a hard sale. while i agree w/ financial discretion in finances, i think money has to be spent to attract those passing through the city, whether looking for employment, placement of a company or business, or advocating for moving the family, in order to begin a new life. amenities, public buildings, libraries, etc. all can be quickly assessed, as one drives through, especially when the city has some lights burning. the news last night pointed out the amount of lights burning in one of the highrises. i really thought it was a silly story, as there are so many stories that should be told that seem to escape the news outlets in this community.

no less, i am glad to see a public project started.
I'm OK with the 19th century buildings as they are historical. What I was referring to was the taller outdated buildings that look plain and have no modern feel to them. They look ancient and old as in not upgraded or updated. Memphis has several architectural firms located there, but you would never know it from the looks of the designs in downtown.

That being said, Memphis has always been known for being cheap, too. Just take the Graceland area for example. The most famous and most visited home in America looks like it sits in the projects of Detroit.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:38 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
I'm OK with the 19th century buildings as they are historical. What I was referring to was the taller outdated buildings that look plain and have no modern feel to them. They look ancient and old as in not upgraded or updated. Memphis has several architectural firms located there, but you would never know it from the looks of the designs in downtown.
That's not only on architecture firms...you can't build what the client doesn't want or can't afford. The taller "outdated" buildings were mainly built in the 60's and 70's (they're actually modern or international if you're referring to 100 N. Main (UP), First TN Bank Building, etc.) and for the most part are the same everywhere, it's just that most places have newer towers that distract from them. If the commercial sprawl down Poplar doesn't occur, that would be the case in Memphis.

Quote:
That being said, Memphis has always been known for being cheap, too. Just take the Graceland area for example. The most famous and most visited home in America looks like it sits in the projects of Detroit.
The projects of Detroit is a bit of a stretch, but I know what you mean. The downfall of Whitehaven and the EP Blvd/ Graceland area is the City Council's cross to bear.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 10:40 PM

well i think all three of us are zeroed in on the same idea. in fact, as i reflected on huntsvillenative's statements, i began to think of other cities very similar to memphis, the county, and the metro area. in my view, memphis has some nice architecture that is rarely seen on these forums. when most of it is seen, it is viewed from an aerial view of about 1,500 ft or more. naturally, at that distance and w/ the equipment used---and i admit fully that i don't know that there is better photography equipment to get much clearer photos---but i suspect there are for a price, purpose, and desire. there are several buildings that are in huge business parks that would probably go unrecognized by most of the residents in shelby county, due to where they are placed. when built, some were in somewhat of a wilderness; however, now they have continued to grow their physical campuses, and, in many cases, they have moved entire divisions from the original sites, e.g. separation of human resources, sales divisions, etc. if memphis had offered incentives to bring these corporations to the core in the form of skyscrapers, i would expect memphis would have a very nice downtown skyline. the population is certainly there, but a clear message concerning memphis vs....whomever at whatever civic pride is visible in several areas, particularly the downtown skyline.

johnny ryall has kept a good record of what memphis and the urban center has to offer and how much of it is laid out, but it is somewhat complicated and difficult to put it all together, w/out seeing the areas. some of the large office buildings that are so spread out, but are part of the same company, are located on the south section of the 240 perimeter. servicemaster, medtronic, fedex, international paper, and others would have made nice looking highrises or business parks, though they would quickly take up a great deal of space for physical plants and parking.

Last edited by kingchef; Feb 19, 2014 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 3:06 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

This should be fun.

If you've flown from MEM ever you know this has been an issue (the concourses, especially B have had to be the narrowest I've ever seen at an airport in a major city, so some changes are coming). From what I read on flymemphis.com they will demo some parts of concourses A and C (close the remaining gates) and concentrate all passenger gates to B. Ticketing and security will still be open at A and B.

http://www.flymemphis.com

All in all there should be roughly 20-25 gates that are demo'ed. They currently need only 20-22 (smh), but will keep 60 or 65 for future expansion.

I posted all of this from my phone, so ignore any errors. The link may update soon, so I'll check that later, but for now it should be fresh. I think their twitter is @flymemphis

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 5:21 PM

Here's some more renderings from the Memphis Biz Journal coverage.

Memphis Airport announces plan to redesign and consolidate
Memphis Biz Journal

Quote:
The plan, which will take five to seven years to complete, will remove the south ends of the A and C concourses, widening aircraft access to the B Concourse. The plan also calls for improvements to various infrastructure in the B Concourse like the moving walkways and boarding areas.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...nsolidate.html

Memphis International Airport

Memphis International Airport

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 2:59 AM

I just flew out of MEM last weekend to DFW and on to Denver. I was really impressed by DFW's new improvements and imagined if Memphis did a remodel like that.

I just wish they would get rid of those 80s looking bricks all together. But nice, nonetheless.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations