HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 6:48 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's probably for the distribution of flyers.
Whenever I go to Ikea, I always give them a random postal code.

Just to make their marketing department scratch their head.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 8:35 PM
Closed account

A lot of people from Whitehorse shopping at the Ottawa Ikea?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 2:18 AM
Awesome!

Ikea Pinecrest

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll...104.39,,0,7.99

Lowes Kanata

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll...02.83,,1,-1.32

Lowes Orleans

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll...57.04,,0,-1.02

T&T Hunt Club (unfortunately due to missed shots, this is the best I can post)

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll...109.67,,1,1.15

I thought they had opened another T&T on Tenth Line at the former Canadian Tire location. Though it appears to be called Freshland Supermarket (though some colors looks like T&T) with yet another Goodlife Fitness

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll...119.19,,1,3.95
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
I thought they had opened another T&T on Tenth Line at the former Canadian Tire location. Though it appears to be called Freshland Supermarket (though some colors looks like T&T) with yet another Goodlife Fitness
It wasn't a T&T although it was an asian supermarket. They were in competition with T&T. They've drastically cut down the size of their store since they opened.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 1:07 PM
Closed account

Lowe's really needs to update their stores. They remind me of old Walmart's.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Whenever I go to Ikea, I always give them a random postal code.

Just to make their marketing department scratch their head.
I am so glad to know that I'm not the only one who does that! In my case, I give stores in Ottawa and old Kitchener code that I recall and down here in K-W-C I use an old Ottawa code.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I am so glad to know that I'm not the only one who does that! In my case, I give stores in Ottawa and old Kitchener code that I recall and down here in K-W-C I use an old Ottawa code.
Why?

I'm not a fan of providing personal details but a postal code is pretty generic. From my point of view, if they can do a better job of targeting their advertisements then one or all of three things will happen.
1) They'll lower their costs.
2) They'll waste fewer dead trees.
3) They'll better understand their customers.

I'm in favour of all three of those. The first one especially. Lower costs mean lower prices, higher profits, or both. The first directly helps their customers and the second indirectly helps the entire economy.

That said, I draw the line at providing my address. Radio Shack always used to ask for it, and I always said no. Nosy frackers.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:22 PM

4) they might open a location closer to you

it does seem a little nosy, though ,and if they ask for address and phone number they get a firm "no thanks!" (if you want my personal deets, give me airmiles, dammit! ;-) but just giving the first 3 of your postal code should provide them enough information for their purposes, while staying pretty non-specific for your privacy's.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
4) they might open a location closer to you

it does seem a little nosy, though ,and if they ask for address and phone number they get a firm "no thanks!" (if you want my personal deets, give me airmiles, dammit! ;-) but just giving the first 3 of your postal code should provide them enough information for their purposes, while staying pretty non-specific for your privacy's.
Agree with you both, never saw a reason to "hide" my postal code, considering anyone can look it up online anyway. Besides, what are they going to do with a postal code? Worst case, send more junk mail? Yikes! Best case, already mentioned above.

Though I have to say I chuckled at the "shoppers in Ottawa from Yellowknife", that is fun.

Unrelated but more on topic, closing dates confirmed for 2 Outaouais Zellers stores. Galeries Gatineau, Dec 17 in preparation for Target (Only Gatineau location). Place Cartier Jan 17 in preparation for Walmart (to be the 4th in Gatineau). No word on Galeries Aylmer.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 2:24 PM
Mooderator

Giving your postal code is almost the same as giving your address (for me, anyway) - I live on a tiny street, and there are about 10 other houses in Gatineau that share my same code.

It all depends though.. the place where I grew up had one postal code for the entire town of 2500 people, and everyone got their mail from boxes at the lone post office.

One other habit I've started is to give a 'junk' email address when entering contests and crap. I will purposely make a mistake in the spelling of my name to know who's been trading the information. Jean-Coutu had a booth set up at the Balloon festival this year and asked for your name and email address to win a prize. I signed up with my junk email and misspelled name. Surprise.. I'm getting offers from other stuff with that name and address. Those email lists must be worth a lot of money!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 3:09 PM
Closed account

With gmail, you can add +random_text to your e-mail address (ie. my_email+random_text@gmail.com), and you will still receive the e-mail in your normal account. However, it is really easy to filter out those e-mails too. I use that technique for registering for websites all the time.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 3:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Giving your postal code is almost the same as giving your address (for me, anyway) - I live on a tiny street, and there are about 10 other houses in Gatineau that share my same code.

It all depends though.. the place where I grew up had one postal code for the entire town of 2500 people, and everyone got their mail from boxes at the lone post office.

One other habit I've started is to give a 'junk' email address when entering contests and crap. I will purposely make a mistake in the spelling of my name to know who's been trading the information. Jean-Coutu had a booth set up at the Balloon festival this year and asked for your name and email address to win a prize. I signed up with my junk email and misspelled name. Surprise.. I'm getting offers from other stuff with that name and address. Those email lists must be worth a lot of money!
In the old days I used to do that with my street address by playing with the generic in the address like Avenue, Road, Boulevard, Court, etc.

Even if the generic is wrong the mail will always get through if the house number, the specific (Maple, Oak, Flanagan) and postal code are correct.

Unless of course your city has a Maple Lane in one part of town and a Maple Street in another area.

Which was never the case with my street names.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:57 PM
National Capital Region

st. laurent target site plan application http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__8E1X2I

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 7:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
st. laurent target site plan application http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__8E1X2I
That exact site used to be a K-mart I am pretty sure.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 10:25 PM

That's surprisingly a nice looking store! Too bad there will be a parking lot in front of it and not close to the main street.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 10:48 PM

Oh this is interesting. So is the plan to demolish the Zellers' stores and re-build the Target stores from the ground up? I thought it was just an interior renovation and that was it.

That being said, it's a beautiful store. The two-storey concept is interesting especially since in our "big box" culture, we rarely see new 2-story stores anymore.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That exact site used to be a K-mart I am pretty sure.
Yes it was a K-Mart up until 1998.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 11:04 PM

Over the Christmas holiday I saw the Target at Square One in Mississauga. Their space is almost done and it definitely doesn't look as good as this design.

Last edited by kevinbottawa; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
Oh this is interesting. So is the plan to demolish the Zellers' stores and re-build the Target stores from the ground up? I thought it was just an interior renovation and that was it.
whoa whoa whoa...seriously. i wonder how many they will do this to? very cool! unlike the new walmart at the old zellers in gloucester centre...that walmart doesn't feel anything like any other walmart i've ever been in.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:00 AM

From this:

To This:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy