HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
AS I understood it watching over the internet, the motion put the name Canada St. in the street name bank. Another motion may be needed to officially name the street.
You are correct.

As far as the street having multiple names - this is true. Heading south on Highfield, you will enter Canada Street once you cross Main. Continuing on, Canada Street will become Ivan Rand once you cross Vaughan Harvey Blvd.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
You are correct.

As far as the street having multiple names - this is true. Heading south on Highfield, you will enter Canada Street once you cross Main. Continuing on, Canada Street will become Ivan Rand once you cross Vaughan Harvey Blvd.
thank you for the update. I was under the impression Canada st. started at the tracks after you made the left turn going towards Vaughn Harvey. It must start at Main, as the civic adress is 150 Canada ST FOR THE RINK. I agree I do not like TWO NAMES FOR ONE STREET.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 7:34 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
thank you for the update. I was under the impression Canada st. started at the tracks after you made the left turn going towards Vaughn Harvey. It must start at Main, as the civic adress is 150 Canada ST FOR THE RINK. I agree I do not like TWO NAMES FOR ONE STREET.
That's not even a little unusual for Moncton.

Berry Mills Road -> Killam Drive -> Connaught Ave -> Morton Ave -> Mill Rd

Collishaw -> Edmonton -> Essex

Botsford -> Lewisville -> Paul

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
The civic address for the rink is 150 Canada Street? How can that be as the entrance is on Main Street. Wouldn't it have a Main Street address as do all the other buildings along Main Street? Canada Street is at the back of the centre. Just wondering if this is just because the city wants to get Canada 150 in there somehow. Doesn't make sense. If you call a cab or give someone a 150 Canada Street address where is the front door? Oh yeah... Main Street!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer99 View Post
The civic address for the rink is 150 Canada Street? How can that be as the entrance is on Main Street. Wouldn't it have a Main Street address as do all the other buildings along Main Street? Canada Street is at the back of the centre. Just wondering if this is just because the city wants to get Canada 150 in there somehow. Doesn't make sense. If you call a cab or give someone a 150 Canada Street address where is the front door? Oh yeah... Main Street!
Even better...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:55 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
no different than the coliseum that was on "11 September Ave" but had a Killam drive number. Who uses addresses for hockey arena's anyway?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
no different than the coliseum that was on "11 September Ave" but had a Killam drive number. Who uses addresses for hockey arena's anyway?
I don't think the Coliseum was on 11 September Avenue but the street behind was named that in rememberance of September 11th.

That reminds me.

When is the City going to name a street November 11th St Since where on the multi name road system I hope they extend Weldon, and name the section south of main November 11th Street.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:02 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Just tell your cabbie you're going to the Events Centre.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Just tell your cabbie you're going to the Events Centre.
I realize all that you are posting. But it still doesn't make sense to give it an address that clearly doesn't belong to the entrance of the building on Main Street when all other buildings on Main Street have a Main Street address. But, hey, it's the city and their profound wisdom in such matters!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 7:23 PM

FYI. Check out the outside Webcam tonight.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 12:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Lights on at the events centre:

from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 10:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a site plan for an impressive $15M development being floated for downtown Montague PEI:

Please note an included three level parking garage.

MONTAGUE, PEI has a population of 2,100 souls and even THEY are planning on building an enclosed parking structure!!!!!!

If MONTAGUE can build a parking garage, then WHY NOT MONCTON!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Please note an included three level parking garage.

MONTAGUE, PEI has a population of 2,100 souls and even THEY are planning on building an enclosed parking structure!!!!!!

If MONTAGUE can build a parking garage, then WHY NOT MONCTON!!!!!!!!!
I might point out the inherently tourist-oriented nature of this development and the huge number of people visiting in the summer, but I see your point.

A better question will be: how does Moncton not have a single one, while technically-smaller Saint John has SEVEN and considerably-smaller Fredericton has four?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:49 AM

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I might point out the inherently tourist-oriented nature of this development and the huge number of people visiting in the summer, but I see your point.

A better question will be: how does Moncton not have a single one, while technically-smaller Saint John has SEVEN and considerably-smaller Fredericton has four?
Because Moncton is stupid and went for surface parking scattered all over the place with more, it seems, every day. We need parking structures. Montague, PEI realizes that fact. So does, Saint John, Fredericton, Halifax, etc, etc. Wait until the centre opens and see what a fiasco will ensue.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 4:03 AM

The problem here is, the only thing we do is come on here and complain, we don’t know what the cities working on, what Wildcats organization might be doing, the offers the lot owners are getting. It seems like there is only one thing that will satisfy people and that’s if the city invests $15-20 million plus on a Parking structure next to the arena. I just feel like we have to have more faith that the city is doing more work than we believe. None of us are in the meetings or on city council, I’m sure here is a lot more behind the scenes than we think. Also for Montague, I would wait on that, cities come up with ideas and plans all the time, it may never happen. As for Saint John, they had more opportunities to build parking structures because of the lack of empty lots. If Downtown was more developed and not just one long strip, we probably would have saw more parking structures. There is no need because of all the empty land and lots. Point is give the city a break, things will work out and if they don’t, they will fix it.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 11:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
The problem here is, the only thing we do is come on here and complain, we don’t know what the cities working on, what Wildcats organization might be doing, the offers the lot owners are getting. It seems like there is only one thing that will satisfy people and that’s if the city invests $15-20 million plus on a Parking structure next to the arena. I just feel like we have to have more faith that the city is doing more work than we believe.
I'm not asking for a parking structure attached to the events centre. That would be a waste of a development opportunity. The Hyatt Hotel (for example) is a much better idea in terms of capitalizing on the events centre and building a critical mass. There are however a number of vacant pieces of land within a few blocks of the events centre that could easily support a parking structure, especially south of the rail line.

I'm sure the city believed they had a parking strategy in place, but I think it's falling apart. They predicated their strategy on the idea that private lot owners would open their properties for events parking in the evening. I firmly believe the majority of lot owners are not planning on playing ball. The Wildcats have been negotiating like the dickens with the lot owners over the last 4-6 months for season ticket holder parking, and have only come up with about 400 spaces (less than half what's necessary). I can't imagine the city is having any more success.

To top it all off, most of the private lots downtown are patrolled by booters (as David amusingly illustrated above). Nothing will drive customers away from the events centre faster than the fear of having your vehicle immobilized by a rent-a-cop and a $185 extortion fee.......

It will be very interesting to see how the city strategizes over all this over the next few months. In the short term, I believe the only option is a shuttle bus service to the existing Coliseum lot. The only real long term solution is for the city to finally start building parking structures in the core.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:42 PM

While I also think it's should be the solution (parking structure), Im wondering also if, beside during events, is this structure is necessary at the moment?

Is there a demand right now for parking structure at maybe 10-15$/night?

I remember driving Downtown 2 Summers ago, on a weekday morning, and didn't had any troubles finding a spot.

It could be the reason as to why no one came out and started this project. Maybe they are waiting for the predicted Downtown Boom to take place before stepping up.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 4:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
While I also think it's should be the solution (parking structure), Im wondering also if, beside during events, is this structure is necessary at the moment?

It could be the reason as to why no one came out and started this project. Maybe they are waiting for the predicted Downtown Boom to take place before stepping up.
I agree with you, and at the present, the need for a downtown parking structure is iffy.

If there is one thing that will change the paradigm however, it will be the events centre, and this could have a cascading effect that could challenge every business in the core.

What happens if there is a sold out concert at the events centre the same night as a recital at the Capitol Theatre? What happens to the downtown restaurants on those nights when sold old events are going on at the centre? People may start not going downtown on game nights because they will realize how futile it will be to find parking. Downtown businesses could paradoxically suffer because of the events centre, rather than benefitting from the presence of the centre.

The events centre will be the tipping point for the core (in more ways than one)..........

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 5:08 PM

I've been downtown on Santa parade night (100,000 people) which coincided with an event at the Capitol Theatre as well as a concert somewhere else (Tide & Bore maybe?)
I had only a little trouble parking.
I've been parking downtown for half a century and cannot recall EVER not being able to park.
And I've never been booted.
Sure it will be a mess for the first few months. Of course it will. It's all new to everyone.
After that it will sort itself out, hopefully with enhanced bus service and a shuttle to the Coliseum but if no shuttle or bus improvements, well, I won't lie awake at night worried about it. I'll find a way.
(I hate to pay for cabs though.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces