HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:49 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The request is for 180 feet, which is being discussed as 22 stories. There is what appears to be strong opposition.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu.../Z-TA-2-17.pdf

Unrelated political side note: This case will go to Planning Commission on August 2nd. There is a debate for the LD24 legislators' race on the same night. One of the candidates, John Glenn, is on the Planning Commission and therefore can't attend the debate. All candidates agreed to a change of the debate schedule except Marcus Ferrell, who apparently would prefer a debate with one of the key players absent. Ferrell is the same person who has been saying publicly that he "served on the Willo Board" when in reality he got himself elected to an open seat and never attended a meeting.
The 22 stories would have been for the 250' reasoning app. At 180', they will get about 15 to 17 floors.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 5:10 AM

More on that "garden" development going in on Washington on the Tempe border.....I met one of the principals before. Nice guy. Interesting that this is a ground up development and not a re-positioning. Too bad it's not more urban.

https://brewaz.com/hot-news/deco-com...heast-phoenix/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 5:41 PM

Walked around downtown this AM. Notice that there is a new Pizza and Pasta place that either opened or is close to opening at that collection in the 101 north 1st building, also noticed they are putting a bar in on the ground floor too. The Renaissance Center is marketing what looks to be a retail spot on the hard corner of Adams and 1st. Hopefully this will become a nice node when more of these ground floor uses get up and running...if only Wells Fargo could redo their ground floor spaces to make it more pedestrian friendly....

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Walked around downtown this AM. Notice that there is a new Pizza and Pasta place that either opened or is close to opening at that collection in the 101 north 1st building, also noticed they are putting a bar in on the ground floor too. The Renaissance Center is marketing what looks to be a retail spot on the hard corner of Adams and 1st. Hopefully this will become a nice node when more of these ground floor uses get up and running...if only Wells Fargo could redo their ground floor spaces to make it more pedestrian friendly....
Also a sandwich place called Zooks (not Gadzooks I checked) opened up between Cartel and Bar Smith facing Washington Street

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 6:09 PM

Zooks has had a location at Central and Camelback for possibly close to a decade if you want to give it a try. Decent sandwiches.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 7:08 PM

Well then maybe we should schedule a meet up there. "Kooks at Zooks"

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Well then maybe we should schedule a meet up there. "Kooks at Zooks"
Ha! Ain't that the truth!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 10:08 PM

anyone know what's up w/ the State 48 Brewery that was supposed to open up in the Welnick building? This was originally supposed to open back on Jan 2018!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
anyone know what's up w/ the State 48 Brewery that was supposed to open up in the Welnick building? This was originally supposed to open back on Jan 2018!
Was by there a couple of weeks ago, construction was in full swing.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlL9RG_B...t_construction

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 10:17 PM
Modulator

Developer reveals details on hockey, volleyball facilities planned for north Phoenix

More detail on the sports complex going at I-17/Sonoran Desert Dr. (Edit: Can a mod move this to Phoenix Development. Posted in the wrong thread).

Quote:
By Corina Vanek
– Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal

Jul 19, 2018, 1:39pm MST

Robert Eaton Jr. developed an interest in hockey five years ago, and soon came to find there was a shortage of ice in the Phoenix area for local teams.

“I did some research in earnest last year, and found a property larger than what I needed,” he said.

Eaton plans to develop 20 acres of a 40-acre parcel along Interstate 17 and Sonoran Desert Drive into a sports arena and hotel.

The arena will have two National Hockey League-sized rinks, five regulation-sized convertible basketball and volleyball courts, plus upstairs restaurants with seating that will provide views of games.

“I learned that you don’t just build one ice rink, you build two because of the equipment needed,” he said. “I also learned there is a large demand for indoor girls’ volleyball, there’s a lack of adequate facilities.”

The amateur sports arena will focus on neighborhood and house league teams for children to adults, Eaton said.

The Phoenix City Council voted earlier this month to grant Eaton a rezoning on the property, which is currently vacant. The parcel had been previously zoned to be part of a planned community district, but no master developer ever installed the infrastructure. County records show Eaton purchased the land in 2017 for $10.8 million.

He plans to break ground on the project in May 2019 and expects the arena to be ready for use for the fall 2020 season.

The hotel will have 86 rooms, and Eaton has not yet decided on a brand. The hotel is to serve family and business travelers as well as traveling teams and people staying in town for events and tournaments at the arena.

“There is a huge demand, pent-up demand on the hockey side,” Eaton said. “A lot of Canadians live in Phoenix who love the sport and want to introduce their kids to the sport.”

Eaton is the owner of Tuscani Pointe LLC, which operates the nearby Tuscani Pointe commercial strip center at Carefree Highway and Seventh Street. He and his wife previously owned the veterinary pharmacy in the center, but have sold it.

That center contains a pharmacy, several restaurants, a dentist and a salon.
Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...acilities.html

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 7:10 PM

Notnour usual focus but the state is going to replace some old terrible public housing with new terrible public housing

https://azbigmedia.com/phoenix-works...using-complex/

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 8:02 PM
Skyriser

^ Man, I love this article. I wish I had a garbage disposal or dishwasher or A/C, and my "below market" rent and utilities are $2,400/month. Hell, my sink just has a big hole for silverware to fall through.

Better than my studio in Downtown Phoenix where instead of food going down sewage went up...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ Man, I love this article. I wish I had a garbage disposal or dishwasher or A/C, and my "below market" rent and utilities are $2,400/month. Hell, my sink just has a big hole for silverware to fall through.

Better than my studio in Downtown Phoenix where instead of food going down sewage went up...
What is your point about AC? Do you live in Phoenix now? Public housing in Phoenix should most definitely have AC! It's not San Fran.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 8:24 PM
Skyriser

I was just kvetching about what could be considered luxury amenities in public housing, especially in-unit W/D.

I do have to find heat relief once or twice a year fwiw.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

It sounds like you should take issue with the minimum standards that landlords are held to rather than getting angry about the standards that those in public housing live in.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 7:03 PM
Skyriser

I'm not getting angry. I'm simply pointing out that I (as well as many others) lived in much worse.

But minimum standards that included garbage disposals, dishwashers, and W/D would significantly raise the price of new construction and be a maintenance nightmare for owners of older buildings. Rents would go up everywhere, possibly for amenities that might not even be used all the time.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 7:12 PM

People on subsidized housing live in higher standards than many low end housing options. Some of my apartment buildings are old and don't have amenities, they wouldn't pass for these state subsidized standards but they're perfectly livable and comfortable for my tenants. I can't even take section 8 because I'd have to spend thousands of dollars to get them to pass the inspection.

For people who are paying their own rent the rules are far more relaxed. That isn't only true in Arizona.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 7:34 PM

Took a drive around town no pics but updates.

Baptist Church: New advertising for it as a venue and active work

Native American connections: Above ground about 1 floor

Link: Needs a crane Jump soon

Arizona Center: Almost done with the mall, no movement on the towers

Ro2 ( I think) : there looked to be som surveying equipment out this morning

Sazzarack: Idk looks dead

Wilderness Brewing: Work underway, tractors moving dirt

Old Mental Hospital: Now has a sales sign instead of a demolition permit

Garfield Containers: Almost done (I hate these projects)

Kinnect: Nothing = (

Portrait: Apartments are topped out, no movement on the Office portion

Small projects in Garfield and Roosevel: Lots of small remodels and townhomes going up all over Garfield especially (this neighborhood will be really cool soon) The area around welcome diner looks great, more townhomes are filling in an old rectangle lot off Roosevelt.

Around Midtown:

Park central is really getting torn up, they are doing a lot more work on it than the renderings made it appear.

Edison: Looks nearly complete

Thomas/Central Apartments: No movement

Sprouts: Apartments are topped out, sprouts looks to be near grand Opening and the Safeway retail complex on the opposite corner is going to go under a major renovation/face lift starting in the fall.

Stewart Title: Looks to be halfway done

Alta Midtown: Almost done

Crescent Midtown: Land clear no dirt moving yet.

Other midtown apartments: (cant remember the name) dirt is moving construction has begun

25 story next to the "pyramid" Still has an "available sign" But there was some sort of truck and equipment doing something on the lot this morning.

Ayway that's about it, sorry im not a photographer.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 7:45 PM

Sazerac is moving along. They're out there testing paint colors on the north wall this week.

As for the other residential projects, I wouldn't be surprised to see a majority of them vanish.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest