HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
I don't see this one on here.

Columbus Office Tower - 40 floors

Size: 1.1 million sq ft.
Developer: Cousins Properties
Architects: Pickard Chilton/HKS

Link

50 biscayne replaced this plan. personally I would've like the office tower. oh well.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 2:44 PM

Bummer...That spot needed some office buildings. I'd have taken Columbus over 50 Bisc. any day. I looks so much better in 50's place.

It'd be interesting to watch if more and more office buildings go up as that is a sure sign that businesses are coming to downtown which is really what downtown needs for the gentrification to come full circle.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 2:54 PM

The more and more office buildings are already being built and topped off: 1490, BFC, Met 2. They're worried about just filling those. It'll be a while before any more are proposed. Especially if One Bayfront moves ahead.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 11:34 AM

I noticed two big cranes just west of the Infinity condo building... is that Infinity II going up ? Every morning, heading south on 95, I see it and not knowing what project that is makes me a little crazy.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:16 PM
Endless Moments...

Wow you can really see how met 2 is just rising. It really is making its presence felt. Nice...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 7:52 PM

yes MET 2 is making its presence but from this angle it doesn't look like it.The full 647 feet appears to be smaller since the tower is a few blocks inward from the bay.
What is that arc shaped thing in the foreground?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
yes MET 2 is making its presence but from this angle it doesn't look like it.The full 647 feet appears to be smaller since the tower is a few blocks inward from the bay.
What is that arc shaped thing in the foreground?
Looks like a boathousing facility. I think I see a tugboat or something of the sort under it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAINMIAMI View Post
I noticed two big cranes just west of the Infinity condo building... is that Infinity II going up ? Every morning, heading south on 95, I see it and not knowing what project that is makes me a little crazy.
It's a smaller project on the other side of the metro tracks. I'm not sure what it is.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 3:45 PM

Paris in Miami...a reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
What is this a plan for? This is EXACTLY what Miami needs.
Very beautiful! What are the details for this Paris in Miami plan?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 3:51 PM

Paris in Miami... a reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanesthesia View Post
The Port Tunnel & The Future of I-395

Related articles of I-395 alternatives:

http://bobmiami.com/2007/05/08/fdot-...for-the-i-395/

http://www.floridacdc.org/members/ov...essway-art.htm

I do not like the idea of a super-elevated highway. I think it is going backward. The I-395 is blight enough, and psychologically, when people look at it, it looks like it's "in the way." Before the Performing arts center, where there were all of those empty warehouses. Going from Bayside towards the I-395, it looked like it was a "gateway" to the "bad side of town."

I really wish they could depress the I-395. It would open up 40 acres of land for development and reconnect downtown. Possibly even revitalize Overtown. If it was underground, it would likely encourage more development North, around the midtown area. It would be one continuous stream between the grove, brickell, CBD, Omni, Edgewater, etc.

Also, the land could be used for parks and retail. It would connect the Performing arts center with Bicentennial and Bayside. It would be a great asset to the Miami "Parks and Public Places" Master plan. They could create a Lincoln-road type setting there with the inclusion parks and public art.

Personally, the most exciting aspect of this is the connection of the club district. Connecting the Park West clubs [Space, Nocturnal, Studio A, etc.] with the Media & Entertainment District Clubs [White Room, PS14, Vagabond]. Both the mainstream and the "indie clubs." It would also encourage the opening of more clubs and corresponding 24-hour restaurants or retail. My friend used to have a goth night at White Room, and I go there or to PS14 every once in a while. I'm tired of seeing all of the abandoned buildings and peddlers around the area. They scare people off. I wish they would do something with the area [looking forward to the nearby Miami World Center though]. That area has a great potential to be a "Las Olas Boulevard" type of area. I would like to just see even a 24-hour CVS or Walgreens within walking distance and a 24-hour pizza place just so I can walk out of the club to get some food or an alka-seltzer or something.

This leads me to something else. Anyone know of any plans for the M&E District. Specifically the area where White Room, PS14, Vagabond, and Karu & Y, etc. There are all of these empty buildings!! They annoy me.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 8:18 AM

downtown in black & white

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaso View Post
It's not so much a plan. The idea is to convert the 395 overpass into a cut highway, freeing up the space for buildings and parks. The renderings are someone's fantasy idea of what could be. Since then, the focus has shifted to the port tunnel, so I wouldn't count on it.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
Such a nice pic. Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
It's not so much a plan. The idea is to convert the 395 overpass into a cut highway, freeing up the space for buildings and parks. The renderings are someone's fantasy idea of what could be. Since then, the focus has shifted to the port tunnel, so I wouldn't count on it.
This rendering is a "vision" for the I-395 to bury it underground. The FDOT is looking at different alternative, which include tunneling it underground.
BUT, they are leaning towards a "super elevated highway" which will raise the highway. [I think that is s stupid idea and will add to the blight]

There's going to be a meeting about this [scroll to end of article]. People should come!

Update
Quote:
http://www.transitmiami.com/2009/08/...so-no-se-hace/

Proposed Boulevard concept, by Andrew Georgiadis

For several years now, the FDOT has been proposing changes to I-395, ranging from an elevated super highway to burying the highway underground, in an effort to add highway capacity, while not exacerbating the blight of the surrounding neighborhoods. According to the project director for the FDOT, the maximum clearance under the new “light and airy” proposal is only 33 feet, hardly enough to chase the darkness that it will cast upon the neighborhood. Unfortunately, their preliminary ’studies’ showed that the elevated super-highway was their preferred alternative, playing down the benefits of demolishing the highway, as many US cities have done over the past two decades. Demolishing the highway, and burying it underground will pay off much more than the super elevated version, both in reconnecting the city and in promoting economic development. Check out this great 2007 analysis from Boom or Bust examining all the alternatives.

The blight that surrounds I-395 (and countless other interstates across the country) is well know to have been the result of “progressive” urban renewal in the 1960’s that cut through vibrant communities of color, such as Overtown, and doomed them to decades of disinvestment. Now, under the guise of a second round of urban renewal, FDOT is pushing hard for the construction of the super highway that they argue would reconnect downtown, while still allowing for the free flow of cars from the beach to the City. Bull. This is simply another fake urban renewal program that will not help neighboring communities, and will only add to the blight that surrounds the highway. FDOT maintains that the area under the highway would become a green belt, with parks and active recreational uses. More bullshit. Have they looked under I-95 lately? Directly adjacent to the City of Miami offices on the river, I-95 towers hundreds of feet in the air, with nothing but parking and abandoned lots underneath. Why haven’t they used this area for park space yet? Or take the M-Path, our only answer to a greenbelt under urban infrastructure. Ask our friends at the Green Mobility Network how hard they fight to preserve and improve this important greenway.

Our best bet is to depress the highway and replace it with a true boulevard/greenway that would allow for local circulation above ground, and the highway underneath. Check out the image above of what this greenway could look like. This option has been consistently downplayed by the DOT as too expensive, yet they fail to take into account the developable land that will be free once the highway is removed. True economic redevlopment for the Omni/Park West/Overtown communities.

Downtown with no highways, by Andrew Georgiadis

To make things even more sleazy, there are reports that the FDOT has been trying to convince Overtown that the elevated option will somehow solve problems of blight and isolation in the marooned sections of the community, playing on decades of fear of disenfranchisment and racial politics. If they actually cared, they would be pushing for the boulevard as that will actually revitalize the area.

Image Courtesy of Skyscraper City

The FDOT is planning a public meeting August 25 from 5 -7 pm at the Lyric Theatre in Overtown to discuss the proposed superhighway. Please come out and give your opinion. More on this to come…

Click here for larger image

I would die and go to heaven if this were a reality:

Last edited by mechanesthesia; Aug 19, 2009 at 7:35 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 7:37 AM

FIU's future College of Medicine:

If you see the side, you'll see a little "bridge" which represents the Metrorail's extension to FIU.

Video with 3D animation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUfigVz5fSU

Article:
http://news.fiu.edu/?p=2646

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 3:16 PM

That's pretty impressive. It's a shame that such a small and tight campus isn't in a more urban neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 6:20 AM

OMG!!! I hope that [lan for overtown goes through!!!
Because that area right now, is the ugliest of the ugliest...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 2:54 AM
Trendy.

Interesting plans. I approve.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 4:15 AM
Ex Houstonian

That Paris in Miami thing looks incredible, I hope it gets built. Miami needs more density like that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations