HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 3:57 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Build It View Post
I went to a fund raiser at WP last week and had a great tasting wine. It was a Cabernet Sauvignon from a winery in Oliver that was really good. I thought the winery was called Wild Horse or Kicking horse or something like that, but can't remember the name. I can't find any info about it on the net. Maybe someone here has heard of it?
Yeah b'y

http://www.wildhorsecanyonwines.com/whc_contact.html

If you are ever in oliver check out Fairview Cellars. Very boutique but MAN do they have some fantastic wines!\
http://mypage.uniserve.ca/~beggert/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 4:33 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
For Subs, it's Kim Anh all the way. Wickedest Viet subs west of pretty much anywhere.
Have you ever had Thi Thi Subs?

There is a reason the downtown locations have lineups even when its -30C.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 4:50 PM
of Canada

Went to Swiss Chalet last night (take out window). Talk about an experience in customer service!

I guess you get what you pay for. But wait, it cost almost as much as a descent restaurant.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 2:57 AM

yeah i like Thi Thai's better.... well i mean i like Kim Anh too but the iced coffee at Thi Thai's is really delicious....

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Have you ever had Thi Thi Subs?

There is a reason the downtown locations have lineups even when its -30C.
Is this the place in the Harry Hayes building? Or the one across from Kim Anh? If it's the one across from Kim Anh, I prefer actually Kim Anh.

There is a place just west of the Harry Hayes building that has phenomenal subs. Can't remember the name.

Has anyone tried the Vietnamese place on 17th and 10th street? I think it's called Thanh Noodle House.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 5:47 AM
effete latte-lifter

^Thi Thi is across 1st street from Harry Hayes, Thai Thai (stupid, deceptive name) is across from Kim Ahn, and imo isn't very good.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
I'm all about the beef soups. Has anyone tried the beef soups there? I used to go to Oriental Phoenix whenever i was near Chinook, but it's a bit pricey. The food isn't bad, but it's just not great.
Many fine Vietnamese eateries it town, but when it comes to the Beef Satay Soups, no one can compare to "Touch of Ginger" on 10th in Kensington. P46 on the menu (Used to be T46) The flavour is so full compared to the rest. We dont even name the restaraunt around here......someone says "lets have T46" and we are off to Kensington again!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:28 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Boy View Post
Many fine Vietnamese eateries it town, but when it comes to the Beef Satay Soups, no one can compare to "Touch of Ginger" on 10th in Kensington. P46 on the menu (Used to be T46) The flavour is so full compared to the rest. We dont even name the restaraunt around here......someone says "lets have T46" and we are off to Kensington again!
I have to try that. My favorite for Pho Satay is a place in Hunterhorn village (off 64th ave NE. I can't remeber the name of it, but it has been previously mentioned here by someone else.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:29 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
^Thi Thi is across 1st street from Harry Hayes, Thai Thai (stupid, deceptive name) is across from Kim Ahn, and imo isn't very good.
The place across from HH rocks. Simply awesome.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:41 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Anyone have a suggestion for some good Montreal Smoked meat?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:42 PM

Is the Thi Thi on 8th Ave beside Murph's (between 5th and 6th) the same as the one by Harry Hayes? Quality-wise.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:47 PM
Calgreedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Anyone have a suggestion for some good Montreal Smoked meat?
Go to Montreal. My buddy from Montreal seems to do nothing but shit all over the quality of Calgary's Montreal Smoked Meat. And apparently our bagels suck too.
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:49 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Yeah was in Montreal last month, nothing better....but now I crave.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 6:13 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
Go to Montreal. My buddy from Montreal seems to do nothing but shit all over the quality of Calgary's Montreal Smoked Meat. And apparently our bagels suck too.
Your friend is an idiot. All the better smoked meat here- Alberta King of Subs, Myhre's, Palace of Eats- COMES from Montreal. But as a person who probably considers Vachon cakes and Pepsi to be haute cuisine, I understand his confusion.

Montreal's and the bagel place at the Calgary Farmers' Market do perfectly acceptable Montreal bagels. Both owners trained in Mtl and the baker at Montreal's (which is down around Elbow and... where the Jewish Community Centre is, Pump Hill?) worked at St-Viateur.

Next your friend will say he can't find decent poutine here. Fries, gravy and cheese curds. It's not rocket science.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
I've heard that same rant from many people from Montreal. There are good and bad in both cities. With the better places it simply is a case of personal choice. When I was in Montreal a few years ago my friend told me I was was going to have the best smoked meat sandwich I've ever tasted, unfortunately it was underwhelming.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Next your friend will say he can't find decent poutine here. Fries, gravy and cheese curds. It's not rocket science.
Not to mention, the poutine at Brave Bistro blows away any poutine you'd find in Montreal.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 7:41 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Your friend is an idiot. All the better smoked meat here- Alberta King of Subs, Myhre's, Palace of Eats- COMES from Montreal. But as a person who probably considers Vachon cakes and Pepsi to be haute cuisine, I understand his confusion.

Montreal's and the bagel place at the Calgary Farmers' Market do perfectly acceptable Montreal bagels. Both owners trained in Mtl and the baker at Montreal's (which is down around Elbow and... where the Jewish Community Centre is, Pump Hill?) worked at St-Viateur.

Alberta King of Subs is amazing, I really try had to limit my trips there (luckily it is far, and kind of inconvenient) because I'd weigh 600 pounds by now. Both the poutine and the smoked meat are tops. I also think Burger Inn (at least the Mission one) has comparable poutine to anything I've had in Quebec.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 9:01 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

what I want, now, is a Turkish "doner kebab" place like I had in Germany. I just got a nice donair from Sammy's (17th ave and 12 St) and it was very nice, but the meat is in these thick slices. The ones in Europe are different from those here and IMO tastier. First, the bread is what I know as Armenian bread, it's kind of like a focaccia but without the salt, herbs, and so forth. Second, the meat is sliced PAPER THIN often using this electric circulaw saw device, and the meat is CRISPY. Third, they don't use tahini at all- they have "yogurt" (which is pretty much tzatziki), mayo-based garlic sauce, plain mayo, and hot sauce which looks like sambal. I love tahini but would give it up for this stuff. Fourth, there are no pickles on offer; cabbage, lettuce (sometimes), tomatoes, onions, maybe a little parsley, but all are fresh and beautiful. Finally, all of the donair places I went to also had fantastic french fries.

I spoke to a guy at "Ankara Snack" in Luxembourg whose brother lives in Richmond BC, and he asked if a place like this would work in Canada. I said yes, absolutely- we only have Lebanese and Lebanese-style shawarma places here; it's hard to find a proper gyro in Canada and even harder to find this Turkish style of fast food.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 9:04 PM
HVAC guru

Is the Palace of Eats still open on 14st SW ?

Coming down this weekend. I can taste the Montreal smoked meat already

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 9:38 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

why would Palace not be open? Have you heard something?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation