HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 3:30 AM

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 4:00 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
Incredible eye candy!!

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 5:04 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ thas wassup!

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 7:51 AM
"Think about the Future"

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 10:02 AM

The mall connecting these two building looks ridiculous and terrible

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 12:22 PM

^ It doesn’t look very inviting from Eleventh Ave. It’s like they decided to turn its back to a major avenue and have its face to the plaza side instead. Very unfortunate.

It’s like a box plopped in between the towers. More afterthought than centerpiece.

(BTW, I said something like this before and got some heat for it.)

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 12:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ i wouldn't quite jump to all that as yet.

it's u/c.

patience.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 4:04 PM
"Think about the Future"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
I can't say I like the design of the entire complex. It appears unfinished and trendy (almost juvenile) which will eventually go out-of-style and become tacky and fugly,

... looks like something that belongs in East Asia or Dubai.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 6:42 PM
Ω

Quote:
I was thinking that. Not great. Like the Cooper Union's new building's challenged step brother.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 6:46 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperPower View Post
I can't say I like the design of the entire complex. It appears unfinished and trendy (almost juvenile) which will eventually go out-of-style and become tacky and fugly,

... looks like something that belongs in East Asia or Dubai.
Imo the towers and Vessel are great design and very high quality. They're a level of quality you don't see with most Dubai towers. As a whole, the complex is a bit disjointed.
Almost like a crowded sculpture garden where each sculpture is screaming "look at me!".

But then again, would something with the monotony of a complex like Empire State Plaza in Albany have the same vivacity? No.
The disjointedness brings more life, there is something interesting around every corner. Coach Tower and 30 Hudson yards work very well together, almost like a balancing act.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 4:49 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Tend to agree - for now it's fine, though not sure how it'll age. I do find myself paying more attention to the towers though than the base. The developer was clearly trying to replicate the TWC concept.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Tend to agree - for now it's fine, though not sure how it'll age. I do find myself paying more attention to the towers though than the base. The developer was clearly trying to replicate the TWC concept.
I agree, the attention is meant for the towers and not the base as much. In this instance because the towers are so massive in scale I doubt novice eyes will care for the design of the mall at the base. They'll be awed by the over hanging observation deck alone.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 3:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I wish the eastern facade had been more transparent, but I think it may have been partly intentional to bring the focus to the plaza side.

Even so, I don't see the Nordstrom base of the CP Tower of being much higher in quality.

10th Ave side...

https://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/p...ps-resturants/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 3:53 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 7:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I like the complex and the contemporary style architecture overall, but the mall is indeed not good, just very mediocre. It ruins an entire block on one side, and the other side is basically uninspiring. I remember the earlier iteration of the mall, it was far far superior with the curvilinear flowing roofline. I remember that nobody seemed to care about it, but now the dust is settling and I am not surprised people are calling it out.

It's quite obvious that this is a clear example of value engineering from greedy design-challenged NY developers, just as we have seen at WTC1, WTC3 and Tower Verre and various other buildings. It will happen until NY'ers start wising up on design and demanding more beautiful architecture and higher standards from these developers who obviously are not up to par when it comes to making great design.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 3:40 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post

clear example of value engineering from greedy design-challenged NY developers, just as we have seen at WTC1, WTC3 and Tower Verre and various other buildings. It will happen until NY'ers start wising up on design and demanding more beautiful architecture and higher standards from these developers who obviously are not up to par when it comes to making great design.
111w 57th, 9 Dekalb, 45 Broad? Even 53W53 is above anything going up in the rest of the country (dare I say the world). All of these buildings I mention are inspiring designs that I have yet to see other cities bring up, especially in these heights. So the whole "design-challened NY devs" is drama fueled ignorance honestly. Chicago's developers are the challenged ones, if anything

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 4:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ don't forget the one vanderbilt base, which is very good, but please, lets not try to turn a tower thread into a versus thread.

as for the mall, yeah meh ok, but it seems it will be not be any better or worse than the nordstrom.

why am i not surprized nyc does not do new malls well lol.

also, re hy being a mish mash, what else is new? so is the city. go back and watch the harvard speech video, that is exactly why stephen ross planned it to be that way.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:19 AM

[QUOTE=NYguy;8185822]

https://www.instagram.com/p/Biqa-l-g...by=orangedoors

Looks like an awesome view from the new observation deck. I noticed that Brookfield's tower will block the view of the ESB. Either way this is going to be one great observation deck.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:55 PM

Was out working in the crazy storm yesterday, and right around 8pm the clouds started clearing and we got one of those crazy fire skies. Unreal!

And unfortunately didn't have the good camera with me... just some iPhone SE shots

Bonus shot!

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:36 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
Was out working in the crazy storm yesterday, and right around 8pm the clouds started clearing and we got one of those crazy fire skies. Unreal!

And unfortunately didn't have the good camera with me... just some iPhone SE shots
Awesome shots...those last two are really something else (even with just the iPhone!). The entire NE Corridor was looking wild last night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive