HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 8:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

Uh why do we need a military consultant?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 8:17 PM

Hamilton is preparing to make a move on Toronto. The first step will be to take back Burlington from the GTA.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 8:19 PM

Yes, finally!

The invasion of Burlington is on!

First Aldershot, then we'll go from there.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Hamilton is preparing to make a move on Toronto. The first step will be to take back Burlington from the GTA.
I told you not to reveal too much too soon!

Anyway, now that the cat's out of the bag, it's not so much a war on cars per se, but rather a war on just Fords.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 8:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Can't believe Sam Merulla called himself as a third person, UGH!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Uh why do we need a military consultant?
Perhaps Bratina is hiring a part-time military consultant to assist the Mayor's office to properly prepare for the various War of 1812 bicentennial commemorative events. I think you just posted something about them earlier today, didn't you?

As Mayor he will be officiating some pretty high profile events over the next couple of years, and he will be requiring advice on proper military protocol and historical context on the various events. Seems to me that Elms is well qualified for that advisory role.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:09 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Woo-hoo! Way to waste money on consultants with little to nothing to do with the role that municipal governments play! When are you guys hiring the CSA Extraterrestrial Contact Adviser?

Flickr®

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Perhaps Bratina is hiring a part-time military consultant to assist the Mayor's office to properly prepare for the various War of 1812 bicentennial commemorative events. I think you just posted something about them earlier today, didn't you?

As Mayor he will be officiating some pretty high profile events over the next couple of years, and he will be requiring advice on proper military protocol and historical context on the various events. Seems to me that Elms is well qualified for that advisory role.
I'm sure the Hamilton Historical Board could provide free knowledge and tips.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 10:29 PM

Or he could go down to the Legion and ask the guys there.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I'm sure the Hamilton Historical Board could provide free knowledge and tips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Or he could go down to the Legion and ask the guys there.
The thing about free advice is it's usually priced at its exact value.

Honestly, the Mayor obviously feels he has a requirement for his expertise and he is well within his office budget to hire him. The 1812 bicentennial events are going to be seen internationally so he wants to make sure he does things right. Nothing more than petty squelching going on here.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 1:49 AM

If it's for Bob to learn some better strategies and tactics of leadership, then I'm fully on board. He's been an absolute clod of a mayor so far despite tons of good news. But come on - what is an ex-army colonel going to tell the mayor about the war of 1812!??? I can guarantee you I know more about the war of 1812 than 95% of the Canadian army. I'll wait and see on this one, but the really sad thing is it's not even a shock from this clown.

Last edited by durandy; Nov 30, 2011 at 2:23 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
The thing about free advice is it's usually priced at its exact value.
The same cannot generally be said for consultants. But, it's your tax dollars being wasted...yet again.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 4:57 PM

I was listening to Bob Bratina on the radio this morning. The two positions are both consultants to be utilized on an as-needed basis. Each position is non-salary, remuneration is on a per-task basis, total budget for each position is $5,000. Not exactly a cash cow for either man, as has been alluded to by the ill informed.

Can the hysterical class now please stop with the wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 2:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 4:14 PM

meanwhile in Hamilton the mayor and media are at it again...

http://www.thespec.com/opinion/colum...his-leadership

While I agree with many of Dreschel's comments here, I don't know how they can justify printing this. Dreschel alludes to an "alleged pushing incident" in an unbelievably casual manner, as though that wouldn't be a huge deal. And quotes an offhand remark by Peggy Chapman in a way clearly designed to sow strife in Bratina's office.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 4:26 PM

Mothership Torstar must think the Toronto Star's acrimonious relationship with Ford has been good for newspaper sales, because they are doing their damndest to try to create the same destructive dynamic here. New nadir for journalism.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 4:33 PM

Mothership Torstar must think the Toronto Star's acrimonious relationship with Ford has been good for newspaper sales, because they are doing their damndest to try to create the same destructive dynamic here. New nadir for journalism.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 6:31 PM

Pundits will be pundits, and politicians will be politicians. Nobody in this equation has changed their stripes as far as I can see.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 10:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

BREAKING: Just confirmed with Mayor Bratina that his chief of staff, Peggy Chapman, is getting a $30,000 raise in 2012.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 11:03 PM

Emma Reilly tweeting jibberish again I see. Here's hoping the full story she will post for the spec will more accurately convey the story. After all there's always a first for everything.

From what I understand, the pay raise was initiated by the city's HR dept to bring it more in line with the pay level staff enjoyed under previous administrations. The raise was not initiated by the mayor or Chapman.

Just thought I'd mention that before the hysterical class start huffing and puffing on cue.

PS: If one is to quote tweets in here as a source of news, shouldn't one cite the source of that tweet, or at least acknowledge it's something posted to twitter?

Last edited by markbarbera; Dec 6, 2011 at 11:30 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy