HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 8:49 PM

Really folks, the use of the word regret is confusing you? When someone says they regret an action, that is an apology.

If you don't believe me look up the definition yourself in dictionary.com:

Quote:
re·gret   [ri-gret]
verb (used with object)
1. to feel sorrow or remorse for (an act, fault, disappointment, etc.): He no sooner spoke than he regretted it.
Now, if the discussion now shifts to how "good" or "bad" an apology this is, we are going well beyond a farce over this and are now sinking to a new low of "Gotcha!" politics.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 9:14 PM

An apology is for the injured or harmed person. It's of a generous, giving and healing intent. An attempt at reparation, making amends.

Regret is for the mayor. It's a self centered feeling. Furthermore does he regret hurting someone else ( staff) or does he regret getting caught? Huge difference.

He regrets "any negative inference". Puhlease!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padthai View Post
Mark, I got deja vu with your post. Some research shows your other "Tempest in a Teapot/cup" posts:
Connaught
LRT
Festival of Friends
Please stop using outdated lingo to describe every other issue in this city - it'll show your age (yet perhaps explains why you're an avid Bratina supporter?)

Frankly, the media and public upheaval shows this isn't "time to move on." With a public employee getting a 33% pay raise in a time when the city's aiming for 0% increases and other departments are absorbing zero-budgets, I'm pissed. I want to see a clear rationale for such an exorbitant increase, not just 'bringing her in line with what others make'.

I think I've don't my part to feed the pro-Bratina troll. Others should try to avoid it...
Padthai, if you are going to attack someone else's writing skills, you should proofread your attack before posting it, lest your own spelling/grammar errors betray your hypocrisy.

On more than one occasion I have been accused of being 'old' because I support Bratina. Evidently there are some out there that feel the worthiness of opinions expressed by those who are 'old' should be discounted in value. For them, I feel pity because they possess a certain naivete that prevents them from realizing the value of life experience when forming opinions, and they probably have a lot of life experiences ahead of them before they learn that lesson.

For the record (even though it really is none of your damn business) I am 44 years old, so I will let you decide if that is 'old' enough for you to oversimplify the rationale for my support of Bratina as mayor.

Also, for the record, I am disappointed by the way this particular situation was handled by the Mayor. An upfront explanation of why Peggy Chapman's salary was being adjusted would have taken the legs out of the brou-ha-ha that has predicated the pay raise. Simply put, Chapman got the raise because she was seriously underpaid for the first year in her position, given the volume of work she performs in the mayor's office. That should have been the clear, direct response to questions surrounding the raise. After all, we do live in a society that actively promotes the principle of equal pay for work of equal value.

As far the bleating that a raise like this is wrong during times of fiscal restraint, it is important to point out that, even with this salary increase, the salary in the Mayor's office is still at or below its budget.

Finally, I feel obliged to respond to the suggestion that there is a major public outcry over the pay raise. While there is some online noise about this, it is, generally speaking, coming from the same handful of people who lately have made noise more out of habit than reason. And, the only media members I have seen doggedly pursuing this story is the dynamic duo of Bratina-bashers housed in the 44 Frid Street bunker.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Padthai, if you are going to attack someone else's writing skills, you should proofread your attack before posting it, lest your own spelling/grammar errors betray your hypocrisy.

On more than one occasion I have been accused of being 'old' because I support Bratina. Evidently there are some out there that feel the worthiness of opinions expressed by those who are 'old' should be discounted in value. For them, I feel pity because they possess a certain naivete that prevents them from realizing the value of life experience when forming opinions, and they probably have a lot of life experiences ahead of them before they learn that lesson.

For the record (even though it really is none of your damn business) I am 44 years old, so I will let you decide if that is 'old' enough for you to oversimplify the rationale for my support of Bratina as mayor.

Also, for the record, I am disappointed by the way this particular situation was handled by the Mayor. An upfront explanation of why Peggy Chapman's salary was being adjusted would have taken the legs out of the brou-ha-ha that has predicated the pay raise. Simply put, Chapman got the raise because she was seriously underpaid for the first year in her position, given the volume of work she performs in the mayor's office. That should have been the clear, direct response to questions surrounding the raise. After all, we do live in a society that actively promotes the principle of equal pay for work of equal value.

As far the bleating that a raise like this is wrong during times of fiscal restraint, it is important to point out that, even with this salary increase, the salary in the Mayor's office is still at or below its budget.

Finally, I feel obliged to respond to the suggestion that there is a major public outcry over the pay raise. While there is some online noise about this, it is, generally speaking, coming from the same handful of people who lately have made noise more out of habit than reason. And, the only media members I have seen doggedly pursuing this story is the dynamic duo of Bratina-bashers housed in the 44 Frid Street bunker.
Mark, I regret that my comments were misinterpreted. Any negative inference was unintentional.

The stereotype of the old, CHML-listening crowd of Bratina voters may be unfair, but I think there's some credence to it. The younger generation of Hamiltonians in particular are looking for a mayor with some vision, some forward-thinking ideas and someone who is open, transparent and accountable. We're simply not seeing it.

I, in fact, do respect the wisdom of those who are 'old,' but unfortunately with our current mayor, he reflects the negative stereotypes of the older generation: crankiness, stubbornness, ignorance, curmudgeonliness....as opposed to wisdom and the positive benefits of age.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Padthai, if you are going to attack someone else's writing skills, you should proofread your attack before posting it [...] [...]

[...]

[...][...][...][...][...][...]

[...][...][...][...]
tl;dr

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Mark, I regret that my comments were misinterpreted. Any negative inference was unintentional.
Awesome!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
My non-politically correct version of the statement:

Wednesday, in an interview I made comments regarding the salary adjustment given my Chief of Staff that left the impression saying that the initiative originated in the Human Resources Department. This was not the case a lie, as I noted in the clarification correction I issued when I realized the impression media and public firestorm that had been created by my remarks. I regret any negative inference effects on my reputation that may have been created. The issue of salary review for this office is, of course, my responsibility as mayor. While I did seek comparative historical information from Human Resources wanted to hike Peggy's pay and while I acted on the basis of that information got HR to back me up, it was not my intention to suggest that the final approval was anyone's other than my own. It is time to put this unfortunate distraction behind us for me to pretend like this isn't a big deal in a time of fiscal restraint, and hopefully we can get back to tackling the many important issues move on to my next big PR blunder and exciting opportunities that we will face as a petty bickering we will see in council in the coming year.

Bob Bratina, Mayor PR Nightmare

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 4:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

‘The mayor used staff as a smokescreen for his own decision'

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...na-s-statement

Councillors are going ahead with a closed-door meeting to discuss Mayor Bob Bratina's handling of his aide's $30,000 raise — despite a statement from the mayor asking councillors to move on from this “unfortunate distraction.”

In the face of criticism about his explanation of Peggy Chapman's salary boost, Bratina issued the statement Friday morning attempting to clarify his position.

“Wednesday, in an interview I made comments regarding the salary adjustment given my Chief of Staff that left the impression that the initiative originated in the Human Resources Dept. This was not the case,” it read. “I regret any negative inference that may have been created. The issue of salary review for this office is, of course, my responsibility as mayor.”

However, councillors say the mayor's statement isn't enough to deter them from pursuing the closed-door meeting to discuss whether Bratina broke council's code of conduct when he said the city's human resources staff was the impetus behind the raise.

“At the end of the day, the mayor used staff as a smokescreen for his own decision. That's not only not leadership, but that is, in fact, not taking responsibility for your own actions,” said Councillor Terry Whitehead. “I don't think anyone on this council believes that those comments — misleading the general public and the media — were unintentional.”

Bratina said this week that Chapman's salary will climb from $90,000 to $120,000 in 2012. Initially — on two separate occasions — Bratina said the pay hike was initiated by HR staff. However, city staffers later revealed in private emails and closed-door meetings that it was the mayor who triggered the compensation review and later determined Chapman's new salary.

In the statement, Bratina refers to a clarification he issued to correct the record. That document was an email sent only to councillors, city manager Chris Murray, and HR chief Helen Hale Tomasik, obtained by The Spectator.

Councillors say they still haven't had a satisfactory explanation from the mayor and hope to give him the opportunity to explain at Tuesday's meeting. Councillors spent two hours behind closed doors Thursday afternoon dissecting the issue, which Bratina did not attend. They discussed asking Bratina for a formal apology to HR staff, or issuing a censure against the mayor.

“The intent of council was to receive an apology on behalf of the city's human resources department. But that hasn't occurred,” said Councillor Sam Merulla.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 12:53 AM

I think it's time to unleash Col Geordie Elms.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 3:42 PM

Mayor apologizes for ‘misunderstanding’ on pay hike

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...ng-on-pay-hike

On the morning of a closed-door meeting to discuss his conduct, Mayor Bob Bratina has issued a second statement to council.

The email, sent this morning just before 9 a.m., was sent to council, senior staff, and HR chief Helen Hale Tomasik.

The full statement reads as follows:

Dear Colleagues,

I met personally with Helen Hale Tomasik yesterday, and this morning over the phone to personally and directly apologize to her. I also read to her the following statement which I am now forwarding to you, members of City Council.

“I recently answered a reporter’s question about a pay increase to my chief of staff. The statement I made was very brief, with the intention of protecting the privacy of my employee as required by employment law.

Unfortunately my comments were not well-worded and taken to mean unintentionally that the H.R. department initiated or directed the higher salary. For this I take full responsibility.

This is not the practice of the department, and it was not the intent of my brief response to the reporter to suggest this. However since my statement caused discomfort I asked to meet with the director of Human Resources, and expressed to her my regret and made a personal apology.

I also apologize for any misunderstanding or discomfort caused by my words to the Human Resources staff, members of Council and the community.”

Respectfully and sincerely,

Bob Bratina.

Bob Bratina, MAYOR City of Hamilton 71 Main St W. 2nd Floor Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4Y5 Tel: 905 546 4200 Fax: 905 546 2340 email: mayor@hamilton.ca

ereilly@thespec.com

905-526-2452 | @EmmatTheSpec

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 11:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

Councillors are now wondering if they can roll Chapman’s salary back. It’s unclear whether the mayor’s staff are bound by city policies capping staff pay hikes at 5 per cent to 8 per cent. Bratina said he will not rescind Chapman’s raise, and Chapman also said she intends to keep it.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...ng-on-pay-hike

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 12:34 AM
Hammer'd

It should be rescinded as it never should have been raised in the first place unless some solid evidence and numbers can be provided as to why she is deserving of the raise, instead of "she should have had it to begin with, it was a correction". Why should a chief of staff at the municipal level be making over $100k a year when we're consistently facing budget cuts and belt tightening? Why are we getting lied to and made to feel that these problems are our misunderstandings? The mayor and city employees work for us and are accountable to us, if there's any misunderstanding it is theirs to have. Any negative inference here is purely intentional.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 2:47 AM
It's Hammer Time

What an intense meeting! Mayor stormed out. Haven't heard a single councillor backing the Mayor. They are going to in camera session.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 4:10 AM
It's Hammer Time

Wow there going at it again. Right before going to in camera.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 4:15 AM
It's Hammer Time

They'll go in camera on Friday instead.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
It should be rescinded as it never should have been raised in the first place unless some solid evidence and numbers can be provided as to why she is deserving of the raise, instead of "she should have had it to begin with, it was a correction". Why should a chief of staff at the municipal level be making over $100k a year when we're consistently facing budget cuts and belt tightening? Why are we getting lied to and made to feel that these problems are our misunderstandings? The mayor and city employees work for us and are accountable to us, if there's any misunderstanding it is theirs to have. Any negative inference here is purely intentional.
never mind that the person getting the raise is the same person who should be preventing Bob from making all these mistakes. That's the really delicious part of this little fray,

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 12:58 PM

Does $30,000 really mean so much to the city that special council meetings have to be held? There are more important things to worry about than silly media flashpoints like this one. All of this is just silly posturing.

Sheesh.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Does $30,000 really mean so much to the city that special council meetings have to be held? There are more important things to worry about than silly media flashpoints like this one. All of this is just silly posturing.

Sheesh.
Do you honestly believe this is only about $30,000?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 3:13 PM

It is definitely about more than that, according to the most recent blog post by CHML's Bill Kelly:

Quote:
Are Councilors Reverting to Gutter Politics ?

I have a big problem with Councilor Brian McHattie’s unsubstantiated accusation that the Mayor is guilty of bullying staff.

It’s a serious charge that should be investigated immediately.

The fact that McHattie and his co-accuser, Sam Merulla have refused to offer any details is curious, to say the least.

But, let’s , for the moment , take the accusation at face value.

McHattie and Merulla contend that staff members came to them with stories of being bullied by the Mayor’s office.

Given the increased awareness about the effects of bullying, why didn’t the Councilors immediately report the alleged bullying ?

Why didn’t they go to Human Resources, or the City Manager instead of leveling these charges in an open meeting of Council ?

If there is substance to these allegations, McHattie and Merulla have done a great disservice to City staff by not reporting them.

Neither one of these guys are political newbies. They know full well that personnel matters can be investigated in strict confidence.

If, on the other hand, there is nothing to these accusations, both McHattie and Merulla are guilty of abusing their office to tarnish a political rival.

This is no longer just about a salary increase or the Mayor’s behavior.

It’s about the integrity of all 16 people at that Council table, and so far, it leaves a lot to be desired.
http://www.900chml.com/Blogs/BillKel...tryID=10327128

Surely, in the spirit of unbiased objective journalism, Emma Reilly is preparing an investigative story on the accusations made by Merulla and McHattie. I'll not hold my breath waiting for it.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 4:54 PM
Hammer'd

You speak of unbiased journalism after quoting Bill Kelly? The preferred media outlet of the mayor's office? Bill goes as far as to say that they are wrong if they're right, and they're even more wrong if the whole thing is bs because they didn't report it. The mayor's actions speak for themselves. The fact that he also stormed out of the last meeting doesn't help his image at all. This is definitely about more than $30, 000 but I do believe that is an issue that shouldn't simply be dropped either.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy