HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 9:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Councillors are paying closer attention to city grant recipients after coming under fire for offering thousands of dollars in taxpayer money to a developer who was convicted of sex assault.

At Wednesday’s general issues committee meeting, Councillor Lloyd Ferguson grilled staff about a proposed grant for a development at the former Shoppers Drug Mart building on James St. N.

Ferguson asked whether the developer, Steve Pocrnic, was familiar to the city and whether staff had conducted a background check.

Ferguson said his comments were prompted by a complaint about the city’s $330,000 contribution to a condo project by Denis Vranich. A coalition of women’s agencies sent a letter to the city raising concerns that Vranich — who pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a university student who worked for him in September 2007 - is receiving taxpayer money.

“We got in trouble last time,” Ferguson said.

Ferguson said he was also concerned that the potential dollar amount for the James North grant ranged from $59,000 to over $400,000.

After several more questions from councillors about the cost, Mayor Bob Bratina said council shouldn’t “waste time” with these questions since city staff were endorsing the grant.

However, that comment did not sit well with Brad Clark. He argued that he was offended by the mayor’s comment and that council had a duty to ask questions.

While Clark was speaking, Bratina walked out of the room. “I guess he doesn’t want to stay and hear this,” Clark said as the mayor walked by.

In an email later, Bratina said he left the chamber on urgent business and returned shortly after.
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...t-to-developer

Bratina's at it again...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Fixed it for you

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 7:41 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Fixed it for you
Reporting things the ignorant things coming out of Bratina's mouth? Yes, she is.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 8:34 PM

What she reported was that Bratina left the room while Brad Clark was going on at the mouth (as he usually does) so he could attend to another matter, and she deliberately described the chain of events in a manner that implies he was leaving in a huff, which simply was not the case. As far as Bratina's comments about "wasting time", if councillors are asking the same question or a variant of a question repeatedly to staff, then yes, that is a waste of time.

It is noteworthy to point out that Mayor Bratina did not respond to Brad Clark's childish taunt as he left the room. Kudos to the mayor for rising above Clark's antics.

Seriously, when has it become newsworthy to report a council member leaving the council chambers while another council member was speaking? If council had to wait until Clark stopped talking before leaving, they's probably still be in the chamber now.

There was a deliberate attempt to imply a subtext to this that simply did not exist. Emma Reilly clearly has an axe to grind against this mayor, and is abandoning proper journalistic principles to do so. This is a big reason why I no longer subscribe to The Spec.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 10:17 PM

This is not so much about the reporting than it is more to do with the total lack of leadership and respect for the mayor within council.

Sad.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 1:50 PM

Gaaaaawwwwwwwwwwd...who cares!

BTW I saw Clark on TV the other day: When did he become so massive? I don't mean to make fun but his weight gain is shocking.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 7:42 AM

His worship was at his incoherent best on Metro Morning yesterday. Perhaps it was all those years of talking at people on CHML that's caused this brain damage. Anyway, I'm pretty sure he failed to answer a single question clearly.

I'll say it again - I miss Fred.

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/stor...o-morning.html

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
He was ambivalent, though, about Metrolinx's plan for building transit for the entire Greater Toronto-Hamilton Area, which includes a slated LRT for downtown Hamilton.

“One of the big answers to that is this GO connection to Toronto,” Bratina said. “Does the rest of the Metrolinx plan fulfill that? We'll have to wait and see.”
Ahh, yes. I guess this is his version of championing LRT.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
His worship was at his incoherent best on Metro Morning yesterday. Perhaps it was all those years of talking at people on CHML that's caused this brain damage...
I'm relieved to know it's not just me who thinks the Mayor has a serious case of incoherence. Being a relative newcomer I had an immediate impression of B.B. but wondered if I was alone in this, and that long-time residents knew way more than me.

His presentations always seem like this:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 1:23 PM

As much as I hate political speak, he should probably take a page from the Conservative handbook - at least he'd be coherent. I mean, he knows what questions he's going to be asked, so give it a little thought, man! And it can't be nerves because he was on the radio forever in both Hamilton and Toronto. Maybe it's oldtimers...I don't know.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 11:34 PM

Last summer I made this java applet game that features Bratina as the main villain. It's only the first level... and features many borrowed graphics from this site.

htttp://www.forevermayor.com

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 12:55 AM

What's the main aim? To talk nonsense in deep soothing voice until everybody nods off? Bonus points for flip-flopping on public transport issues? Defeat your enemies by throwing pencils at them? Sounds awesome.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 2:39 AM

He has a pet DE-AMALGA-DRAGON.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
What's the main aim?
To find a platform.

Guess that's why he's so high on the new GO station and not LRT

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 12:27 PM

Some sweet zingers there.

It'd be great if you could work some sort of Brad Clarkesque creature into the game. Perhaps he could live deep in the wilds of Stoney Creek and feed on plump little children and...I don't know...smell of boiled cabbage or something. It's an idea...I've got others, too.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 12:49 PM

Is this taken from the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L7lMC5gL_I

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 3:08 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton's integrity commissioner may investigate Bratina LRT incident

By Samantha Craggs, CBC News
http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/stor...na-murray.html

Hamilton councillors will face a motion next week to have the integrity commissioner investigate an exchange between Mayor Bob Bratina and the city's top bureaucrat.

Coun. Sam Merulla will introduce the notice of motion at a council meeting May 8. That means councillors will likely vote on it later in May.

“I want to have an independent third party source thoroughly investigate the allegation of bullying and come back with an independent conclusion that eliminates any perception of political inference from us,” he told CBC Hamilton on Thursday.

The exchange with the mayor happened on April 24 during a tense debate about Light Rail Transit (LRT). Coun. Brian McHattie introduced a motion to “reaffirm” that LRT was the city's transit priority. It also directed the mayor to convey council's position when dealing with the province.

But councillors ended up debating whether the motion conflicted with the city's Rapid Ready plan. City manager Chris Murray said he didn't think it did.

After that, Bratina left his seat and approached Murray, speaking to him in aggressive way, said Merulla, who did not hear what the two men said. The Ward 4 councillor announced his intention to ask for a full investigation.

Bratina said in a statement the next day that he regretted the loss of decorum at the meeting, and that he meant no disrespect to Murray.

Merulla told CBC Hamilton on Thursday that the commissioner can look at the testimony presented and speak to witnesses.

In the past week, he has grown to feel even more strongly that an investigation should be done, he said.

Merulla will also introduce a motion Wednesday about Hamilton Police Service.

If passed, council will ask the province to allow city council to govern the police services board, which is currently a stand-alone board overseen by the province.

Merulla also wants council to either appoint the board, or for the board to be comprised entirely of city councillors, “or a combination of councillors and citizens, as council may determine.”

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
Is this taken from the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L7lMC5gL_I
Oh snap! I'd never seen that footage before. He truly is a legend.

So wait, when he gets up and walks away, is he simply leaving the chamber or is he actually retrieving the projectile?

God I love it! I've watched it twelve times already. Cheers.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 4:11 PM

Thats incredible! Hahahahaha I keep replaying it too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy